HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Mark Stone (Ottawa 178 overall)

Closed Thread

Old
12-27-2011, 07:35 AM
CapitalCityGoofball

vCash: 500
What's the book on his work ethic? He obviously has great hands and hockey sense, but if "everyone" knows his skating sucks, why hasn't he been busting his butt to fix that? Or has he?

Old
12-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCityGoofball View Post
What's the book on his work ethic? He obviously has great hands and hockey sense, but if "everyone" knows his skating sucks, why hasn't he been busting his butt to fix that? Or has he?
He has been coming to Ottawa and working with Power during the summer. It appears the skating issues had nothing to do with his work ethic but instead mechanics

Old
12-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Tim Murray said he's the poster boy for all our prospects...if you come in on your own time and work, "this is what happens".

His skating is atrocious, it's just below average, it used to be atrocious. I expect he'll do another month skating in Ottawa as he'll probably want to have a shot at making the team out camp next year.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:34 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

I heard somewhere that Power is one of the best skating coaches in the NHL. Teaching good enough skating skills should be easily achievable.

I remember seeing a piece on someone the NYR brought in (think she's an ex figure skater), apparently she has done amazing work with their prospects. Really improved their skating efficiency.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:36 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
His skating has improved greatly since he was drafted, in no small part due to the professional power skating classes that he took and paid for himself.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:37 AM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Tim Murray said he's the poster boy for all our prospects...if you come in on your own time and work, "this is what happens".

His skating is atrocious, it's just below average, it used to be atrocious. I expect he'll do another month skating in Ottawa as he'll probably want to have a shot at making the team out camp next year.
It is not atrocious. It is not below average. He is not Pavel Bure but he isn't Brad Marsh either. I don't know who made you an expert in judging skating ability. You don' t make Team Canada in the most widely regarded junior hocley tournament in the world if you can't skate.

Old
12-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
I heard somewhere that Power is one of the best skating coaches in the NHL. Teaching good enough skating skills should be easily achievable.

I remember seeing a piece on someone the NYR brought in (think she's an ex figure skater), apparently she has done amazing work with their prospects. Really improved their skating efficiency.
One of the best in the world. Were just lucky he lives in Ottawa.

Old
12-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Tuna99

He'll be a PP beast, exactly what the Sens have needed since 1992, a guy in front of the net who can tie up 2 D with his scoring sense and size.

Can you just imagine Stone and Zibby crashing the crease next year, it'll be complete mayhem, "SCRAMBLE" throw a Greening or Michalek on that line and we are talking straight up Stud Line

Old
12-27-2011, 10:37 AM
playasRus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
****, I am so sick of these big Canadians, why can't Murray take Europeans with skill?

Worst draft ever.
Haha ouch. Unless it was sarcasm but didn't sound like it by the looks of things. Everyone else was pretty bang on about his development though.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:11 PM
StikTBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Haha ouch. Unless it was sarcasm but didn't sound like it by the looks of things. Everyone else was pretty bang on about his development though.
But it was sarcasm

Old
12-27-2011, 01:45 PM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
It is not atrocious. It is not below average. He is not Pavel Bure but he isn't Brad Marsh either. I don't know who made you an expert in judging skating ability. You don' t make Team Canada in the most widely regarded junior hocley tournament in the world if you can't skate.
Jason Allison says Hi. He reminds you that he led the world junior tournie in scoring.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mak View Post
Jason Allison says Hi. He reminds you that he led the world junior tournie in scoring.
...and he also put up 95 points in the dead-puck era.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:52 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_mak View Post
Errr... http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=50

Old
12-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Minister of Offence

Bob McKenzie: Before the NHL guys came back, Mark Stone was locked in as the teams undisputed 1st line RW for his ability to dominate the WHL.

Old
12-27-2011, 05:04 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I doubt Mark Stone plays in Ottawa next yr unless Murray trades a couple of RWs. Alfredson, Michalek (also plays LW), Butler, Condra, Neil, Silfverberg (also plays LW) & Zibanejad (also plays centre) may all be ahead of Stone not to mention a guy or two in Bingo.

My guess is that he starts the season in Bingo to get accoustomed to the speed of the AHL. I expect that he will spend another summer in Ottawa with Marc power to get him ready for the pro game. But I do expect that Stone will get a callup especially after next yr's trade deadline when Ottawa moves a couple more peices for the rebuild.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:08 AM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
It was sarcasm.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:51 AM
branch
you're a pigeon

Power used to be my gym teacher in high school. Can't really figure out how this guy went from a high school gym teacher watching kids play dodgeball to an NHL endorsed conditioning coach.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:13 AM
LeTigre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmab View Post
Power used to be my gym teacher in high school. Can't really figure out how this guy went from a high school gym teacher watching kids play dodgeball to an NHL endorsed conditioning coach.
Likewise, I also have had a hard time understanding how Maurice Strong went from being a peasant in the Canadian prairies after the depression to becoming the most powerful unelected man in world history.

Then I realized something after finishing season 5 of The Wire. Like the infamous Marlo Stanfield said, "My name is my name."

Old
12-28-2011, 09:07 AM
koreaboy

jason allison put up 95 pts in an era when trapping, hooking, holding, and interference were epidemic. it was an era where guys like he and andreychuk could score and be very effective. those days are gone. EVERYTHING is about skating now. if you can't skate, you can't play.

i am going to give stone the benefit of the doubt and say that he is now a very intriguing prospect who might just make it and be a big help to us. i haven't seen him live since i saw him at camp the year before last. when i saw him then, it was 100% clear that he was the slowest player on the ice. his skating was a serious, serious weakness, and you didn't need to be a "skating expert" to see that. you looked at him moving up and down the ice, you looked at him in drills, you looked at him in scrimmages, and he was markedly, seriously slower than everyone else.

if i saw him live now i would probably be able to notice some improvement. there has to be a reason why he's dominating his league and ripping it up against the best players in the world in his age group. but until i see him at an NHL camp against NHL competition and see him live and see him keeping up with the speed, i'm going to keep my expectations for him low.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
jason allison put up 95 pts in an era when trapping, hooking, holding, and interference were epidemic. it was an era where guys like he and andreychuk could score and be very effective. those days are gone. EVERYTHING is about skating now. if you can't skate, you can't play.

i am going to give stone the benefit of the doubt and say that he is now a very intriguing prospect who might just make it and be a big help to us. i haven't seen him live since i saw him at camp the year before last. when i saw him then, it was 100% clear that he was the slowest player on the ice. his skating was a serious, serious weakness, and you didn't need to be a "skating expert" to see that. you looked at him moving up and down the ice, you looked at him in drills, you looked at him in scrimmages, and he was markedly, seriously slower than everyone else.

if i saw him live now i would probably be able to notice some improvement. there has to be a reason why he's dominating his league and ripping it up against the best players in the world in his age group. but until i see him at an NHL camp against NHL competition and see him live and see him keeping up with the speed, i'm going to keep my expectations for him low.
That's awesome.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:15 AM
JonnyMacSen
2nd round Chlapik!

I think the true question is.... Can he skate faster than Cheechoo

Old
12-28-2011, 09:15 AM
jasonjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I doubt Mark Stone plays in Ottawa next yr unless Murray trades a couple of RWs. Alfredson, Michalek (also plays LW), Butler, Condra, Neil, Silfverberg (also plays LW) & Zibanejad (also plays centre) may all be ahead of Stone not to mention a guy or two in Bingo.

My guess is that he starts the season in Bingo to get accoustomed to the speed of the AHL. I expect that he will spend another summer in Ottawa with Marc power to get him ready for the pro game. But I do expect that Stone will get a callup especially after next yr's trade deadline when Ottawa moves a couple more peices for the rebuild.
From what I could see in the Finland game Stone is not scared to play in the middle of the ice in the offensive zone. I wish he would pass on this ability to his Senator brethren ,who are inconsistent in this respect. When they play the center they have a good chance of winning. When they play the boards, like they did against Montreal on Tuesday, they are a very mediocre team.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:36 AM
DefenseMinister

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post

i am going to give Stone the benefit of the doubt and say that he is now a very intriguing prospect who might just make it and be a big help to us. i haven't seen him live since i saw him at camp the year before last. when i saw him then, it was 100% clear that he was the slowest player on the ice. his skating was a serious, serious weakness, and you didn't need to be a "skating expert" to see that. you looked at him moving up and down the ice, you looked at him in drills, you looked at him in scrimmages, and he was markedly, seriously slower than everyone else.

I've watched enough of Stone to say with confidence that while his skating is not anything to write home about, he's more than able to keep up with the play and it's not impeding his ability to get into scoring position. And I have definitely seen a progression in his skating over the past 2 years. He's worked very hard at it and I'm sure he'll continue to.

The problem with this type of criticism is that everyone is focusing on the one thing that Stone isn't elite at and ignoring all the other things that make him a great player. You can be an elite player in this league without being an outstanding skater. Dany Heatley is a pretty terrible skater and he scored 50 goals twice in the post-lockout era. You need to play with the right players who can get you the puck but when you have a great release and a sense of where to find the soft areas of the ice, then you're going to be successful.

I also believe that the narrative of his skating issues have taken over from the actual analysis of his current play. People have been saying for so long that he's a poor skater that now it's just accepted that he still is. However, if you if have watched any of the World Junior games so far without this knowledge, would you really be able to say that you notice that his skating is an issue?

If he was this bad a skater, there would be no way he'd be able to dominate so thoroughly at this level against supposed elite skaters. These are the best players in the world at his age level. These are not scrub junior players. A large percentage of the players in this tournament will end up being on NHL rosters in the near future. So it's silly to say that what he's doing now is of no consequence and it's only in an NHL camp that you can make a determination. These are all of his contemporaries that he'll be playing in the NHL with in a few short years.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:48 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post
I've watched enough of Stone to say with confidence that while his skating is not anything to write home about, he's more than able to keep up with the play and it's not impeding his ability to get into scoring position. And I have definitely seen a progression in his skating over the past 2 years. He's worked very hard at it and I'm sure he'll continue to.

The problem with this type of criticism is that everyone is focusing on the one thing that Stone isn't elite at and ignoring all the other things that make him a great player. You can be an elite player in this league without being an outstanding skater. Dany Heatley is a pretty terrible skater and he scored 50 goals twice in the post-lockout era. You need to play with the right players who can get you the puck but when you have a great release and a sense of where to find the soft areas of the ice, then you're going to be successful.

I also believe that the narrative of his skating issues have taken over from the actual analysis of his current play. People have been saying for so long that he's a poor skater that now it's just accepted that he still is. However, if you if have watched any of the World Junior games so far without this knowledge, would you really be able to say that you notice that his skating is an issue?

If he was this bad a skater, there would be no way he'd be able to dominate so thoroughly at this level against supposed elite skaters. These are the best players in the world at his age level. These are not scrub junior players. A large percentage of the players in this tournament will end up being on NHL rosters in the near future. So it's silly to say that what he's doing now is of no consequence and it's only in an NHL camp that you can make a determination. These are all of his contemporaries that he'll be playing in the NHL with in a few short years.
I agree with the points made and the bolded one stands out for me. He needs to right centre to work with. Yes, he will be able to bang home rebounds, but having chemistry with one of Smith, Zibanejad or Turris will be huge.

I can see him starting in the A next year, but it won't be for long. If Regin and Butler are gone, I think he gets a long look with the club.

My preferred combination would be a Silvferberg - Zibanejad - Stone line. But that is all rookis so will not likely appear until late in the season.

The more likely will be a ?? - Smith - Stone with a Condra to be the vet on the Zline.

Based on what I've seen, I like what Turris brings, but I think by seasons end, if he has not stepped it up a knotch, he slides to the 3C and Smith is the 2C.

Most of Stone's possibilities are centred around Alfredsson and retirement next year.

Old
12-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenseMinister View Post

Bravo. Well done.

You have homers, you have the guys that feel they have to prove they are impartial by finding negatives and dwelling on them. And then you have people in the middle.

Closed Thread