HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Les Stroud's Survival Challenge

Old
06-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Freezerburn

vCash: 500
Les Stroud's Survival Challenge

The very first episode is airing right now on OLN in Canada, seems pretty interesting. It's multiple teams competing against each other through a series of way-points and wilderness. This is relevant to the board because each team has an NHLer/former NHLer on it and Steve Montador is participating from a Sabres perspective. They are all playing for charity in the form of community arena improvements and kids hockey funding.

There's more info in this old article: http://www.sootoday.com/content/news...ryNumber=41137

Edit: Montador is on a team with Ponikarovsky, Les refers to them as the 'young guys' team.

Last edited by Freezerburn: 06-20-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 06:56 PM
whiplash

That's awesome. Hopefully it'll be online somewhere, sounds like it might be worth a watch

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2010, 08:29 PM
Freezerburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
That's awesome. Hopefully it'll be online somewhere, sounds like it might be worth a watch
It was a pretty cool show I thought. Kris King's team ended up being chosen as the winners by Les based on the choices they made and how efficiently the survived/traveled. I would guess that Monty's team would have been labeled #2 if there was a second place.

I'm sure it will turn up online some where, it was a one off special but with how well it went and the fact the it's referred to as 'season 1' on lesstroud.ca.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 12:48 AM
Resident Tough Guy

Wasn't Butler in as well?

Last edited by Resident Tough Guy: 06-25-2010 at 12:55 AM.
Resident Tough Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2010, 09:08 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
I didn't see it, but this article mentions some of the other participants:

NHLers get lost in North Algoma bush

Quote:
Les Stroud, the NHL’s Kris King, and Brad May challenged 17 of their friends to the ultimate survival weekend to raise funds for the King’s hometown hockey arena, desperately in need of repairs.

Challengers, among others, included Toronto Maple Leafs' Alex Ponikarovsky, Buffalo Sabres’ Steve Montador, the Washington Capitals’ Brendan Morrison, Brian Muir, Mike Fountain, Colorado Avalanche’s strength coach Paul Goldberg and NHL linesmen Steve Miller and Mark Shewchyk.
And yes, Butler was also one of the guys --

Quote:
I lifted my head up as the sweat dripped off my nose and looked across the face-off line at my opponent on the opposite wing. This was a charity hockey game arranged by my good friend and former NHL’er Kris King. My opponent was none other than Brad May. A tall, strong, good-looking and successful hockey player with a tough reputation. So I did what I thought was natural. I played dirty and jabbed at him as much as possible.

It was all in good fun. And it was here on the ice that Brad and I got to talking about getting a bunch of NHL hockey players both current and alumni together with me, to be challenged to a weekend of survival in the bush, Survivorman style, for charity.

A handful of months later Kris King, Brad May, Chris Butler, Brendan Morrison, Alexi Ponakarovsky, Steve Mantador, Brian Muir and a handful of linesmen, trainers and some corporation CEO’s and I were on our way north to the little hamlet of Hornepayne, Ontario, to see how the northern Ontario bush could challenge these big strong lads.

06-27-2010, 05:59 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
I love Les Stroud. He's really authentic and easygoing, not to mention his show was fantastic. This new one looks good too from what I've read.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote