David Warsofsky

Old
06-27-2010, 03:00 AM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
Can't forget widdle Brian Gionta...and MA Bergeron...and Mike Cammalleri...
Those Habs are a tiny bunch aren't they?
If MA Bergeron can make it in the NHL, then so can Warsofsky, as far as I'm concerned.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:10 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Enis and Gerbe would be smaller than him. Tobias Enstrom from Atlanta is also a smurf...Francis Bouillon is a midget too. All these guys are 5'9 or shorter.
Enstrom and Ennis are 5'9". Bouillon is 5'8". Gionta's 5'7". St. Louis and Gerbe are both 5'6". (Somebody posted to the board that he'd met St. Louis in a bar an he'd admitted to being only 5'5 1/2". )

I guess there is a handful of players shorter than Warsofsky, but AFIK none of them are defensemen.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:08 AM
Falconone

Good pick up

My son (see avatar) played on the same team once in a tourney. He's been real upset by the posts in the other thread. He's played with DW and knows how skilled he is.

David's the real deal. Smooth skating D-Man with terrific skills. Shot could be amp'd up a bit (and probably has from when he was younger) but he can put it where he wants to.

People forget that with the rules change this is a league where skills are more important than size. While there are times (witness a lot of the play for Lord Stanley's Cup) when big men can assert themselves with impunity and there's a lot of lattitude being allowed, al la the pre lockout NHL, for most of the play in todays game it's about speed, skill and position.

DW will not be handicapped by his size (or lack of it) anymore than those referenced above. He can give the B's a puck moving, highly skilled D-man that while he isn't Chara sized, he won't be going up the back staircase to the GM's office either.

While I liked Sob's potential, the B's are overloaded with forwards and Center's in particular. DW at the very least gives us the same potential but on the back end.

Falconone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
BREWINZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Enstrom and Ennis are 5'9". Bouillon is 5'8". Gionta's 5'7". St. Louis and Gerbe are both 5'6". (Somebody posted to the board that he'd met St. Louis in a bar an he'd admitted to being only 5'5 1/2". )

I guess there is a handful of players shorter than Warsofsky, but AFIK none of them are defensemen.
That's exactly my concern. I wonder if he can play wing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Wsd25cUYY

BREWINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:31 AM
GoBs

Warsofsky can make the first past and skate the puck out of the D-zone. He will make a good Bruin and a great pro.

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Doormat

I've seen a lot of him at Agganis Arena. He is unbelievable quick and has a fantastic shot. I have no clue what people are talking about when they say his shot is weak; he has an absolute bomb. On the other hand he is really weak defensively. He can't knock guys off the puck because of his size and he doesn't have great stick position. His first year at BU these issues were covered because his partner was Gryba (who is an absolute beast). His second year I think he was mostly paired with Max Nicastro who is also more of a stay at home defenseman (although a freshman). I fear that the only way he makes it in the NHL is as a forward because his defense is pretty bad.

Doormat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Gee Wally
Retired

vCash: 50
Awards:
In today's Globe , Chia says he now weighs in closer to 190.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:21 PM
rangersfan212

There is no question that Warsofsky will be a very good nhl player. Has done it at eevry level and size has never been an issue. He has played with the big boys the past 3 years and is always one of the top Dmen on the ice. Will be again with the Bruins. Great pick up

rangersfan212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Milan Lucic

He needs to put on about 20 lbs of muscle

Milan Lucic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Beesfan

I think it is a decent trade. A defenseman can play in this league at 5'9 if talented enough. My only concern is that he is really 5'7, which is too short to play D in the NHL.

12 goals in 34 games for a defenseman at the highest level of college hockey is pretty ridiculous though.

I'm interested to see how this pans out; it could be a home run.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradefirst View Post
Not many thought Dustin Pedroia couldn't play MLB and what has he done ?

I agree size of the player doesn't mean the same as it once did, even 10yrs ago
I hate the Pedroia analogy. The guy was not some unheralded overachiever. The guy was a standout on just about every team he has ever been on. He was the golden spikes award winner in his final year of college, rocketed through the minor leagues and has dominated at MLB ever since.

So yes, little guys can get it done too.....but no one thought that Pedroia couldnt play 2nd base at the major league level.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:02 PM
rangersfan212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
I hate the Pedroia analogy. The guy was not some unheralded overachiever. The guy was a standout on just about every team he has ever been on. He was the golden spikes award winner in his final year of college, rocketed through the minor leagues and has dominated at MLB ever since.

So yes, little guys can get it done too.....but no one thought that Pedroia couldnt play 2nd base at the major league level.
In regards to your first paragraph, so hasnt Warsofsky. Captain and second leading scorer of team USA as a dman, on and on. Hello....

About Pedroia being doubted, hello again

"Pedroia's swift rise to stardom has been surreal, considering many scouts doubted him because of his diminutive stature. Listed at 5-foot-9, Pedroia is probably two or three inches shorter than that. But he has consistently given the Red Sox big-time performances on both sides of the ball"

"First and foremost the Little Second Baseman That Could is a damned good ballplayer who has overcome a small stature and decidedly un-chiseled physical appearance that had many learned baseball scouts doubting his prospects as a big league ballplayer."

Pedroia, listed as 5 feet 9, hit .317 this season while batting mostly in one of the top two spots in the Red Sox' lineup. The team revealed after the World Series that he had been playing the final two months of the season with a broken hamate bone in his left hand.

"Everyone doubted me at every level I've been to," Pedroia said, "saying I'm too small, I'm not fast enough, my arm's not strong enough. There are a lot of people who have stuck by me, and knew deep down there's something about me that makes me a winning baseball player."

rangersfan212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:56 PM
BREWINZ

Baseball Vs. Hockey? I just don't get the analogy. Pedroia hasn't thrown any body checks! Baseball is not a contact sport. What if Pedroia had to body check Pujols in order to win. Think he'd be in the MLB?

Old
06-27-2010, 05:09 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
In regards to your first paragraph, so hasnt Warsofsky. Captain and second leading scorer of team USA as a dman, on and on. Hello....
Relatitvely speaking Pedroia was a very high draft pick whereas Warsofsky was a mid round pick. Certainly the Red Sox didnt have any doubts about him.

Quote:
"Everyone doubted me at every level I've been to," Pedroia said, "saying I'm too small, I'm not fast enough, my arm's not strong enough. There are a lot of people who have stuck by me, and knew deep down there's something about me that makes me a winning baseball player."

I guess my point is that I will grant that Pedroia was doubted....but he shouldnt have been because he is clearly an elite talent. He is not a guy who is just "scrappy"....he is a guy who can literally do it all. Can Warsofsky? We will see, but while some scouts doubted Pedroia they clearly were basing too much on size and not stats.....then again being selected as high as he was after being named to the Golden Spikes award I think we can agree that a lot of people thought VERY highly of Pedy.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewins View Post
Baseball Vs. Hockey? I just don't get the analogy. Pedroia hasn't thrown any body checks! Baseball is not a contact sport. What if Pedroia had to body check Pujols in order to win. Think he'd be in the MLB?
The other reason it's not a great comparison is because in baseball, you play one position and only one. In hockey you can back people up and cover for a guy with a deficiency, especially if your coach is worth spit.

Warsovsky is an otherwise talented D who can't clear the crease or make a bone-cracking check?

Then you PAIR Warsovsky with someone who CAN take on the physical side of the game, at least well enough to stop the opposing team from taking advantage.

Not rocket science here people.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:43 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesfan View Post
I think it is a decent trade. A defenseman can play in this league at 5'9 if talented enough. My only concern is that he is really 5'7, which is too short to play D in the NHL.

12 goals in 34 games for a defenseman at the highest level of college hockey is pretty ridiculous though.

I'm interested to see how this pans out; it could be a home run.
BU always rounds up on players size and weight. He's legit 5'8" 170lbs. Let's see if he can handle guys in the AHL before we move him on to the NHL. That's a hugh step up from College hockey.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:49 PM
CapeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
I'm not posting this in the other thread (and I will delete it if it gets moved there) because there is too much sarcasm and angst... just let it sit as a memorial thread to Sobotka. Please keep the beyotching out of this thread and keep it on topic. ie Warsofsky.

Now, I really liked Sobotka from the start so it may seem weird that I don't mind this trade --especially since we have a ton of midget Dmen in the minors right now as it is (are we hoping 1 in 10 turn out?).

Anyway, Warsofsky was a guy that I really like in 08 and took pretty high in my leagues fantasy draft due to this write-up from McKeens (08). I remember there were lots of people here at the time who were high on Aaron Ness, so you may appreciate this more...

62. David Warsofsky -D -NTDP (USA)
5'8 -160

It's rare that scouts will sing the praises of a Dman under 5-9, but Warsofsky is such a competitor and has so much skill and smarts that most are willing to make an exception with the talented American blueliner.

"He really reminds me of Brian Rafalski", said one scout who wouldn't be shocked to see Warsofsky go in the second round of the draft.
"If he was 6'0 he'd be top two rounds no question. He competes, he's a battler. he makes really good passes, and is defensively mobile to make up for a lack of strength of strength and size. An awful lot of talent but he's 5'8 -160." ... "Look at Phil Housely --he was a battler even if he was undersized".

Scouts who attended the U18's were prepared to see Aaron Ness outperform Warsofsky given the hype surrounding him, but many left the tournament with Warsofsky higher on their lists.

"He'll jump on your back to get you down if that's what it takes".

Anyway --hope you found this interesting. Of all our midget D prospects I like him the most...
Very impressed with this move. Sobotka can be replaced and Boston is quietly obtaining D prospects with solid upside.
I really wanted Faulk; Warsofsky softens the blow.

CapeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:06 PM
BREWINZ

Who's the shortest D man currently playing in the NHL? Anyone know?

Old
06-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Marc-Andre Bergeron isn't much taller than Softsky at 5'10"

(He's gonna wear the nick anyway, might as well get it out of the way)

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:48 PM
hubby1746

i gotta say im happy we got some local kids we can watch

hubby1746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Central Scrutinizer
Lord of Song

Quote:
Who's the shortest D man currently playing in the NHL? Anyone know?
Playmaker named a few in a earlier post,but small dman:Vishnovsky 5 10" 188
Endstrom 5 10" 175
Russell 5 10" 180
Lebda 5 9" 195
Rafalski 5 10" 191
Ellis 5 9" 173
Meyer 5 10" 192
Timonen 5 10" 194
Weaver 5 9" 182
White 5 10" 185
Liles 5 10" 185
If Warsofsky can skate,make great outlet passes,use every inch of his body,be sound positionaly,and have a great stick,and is not afraid... well then his size should not be an issue.

Central Scrutinizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:10 PM
BREWINZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by camorr84 View Post
Playmaker named a few in a earlier post,but small dman:Vishnovsky 5 10" 188
Endstrom 5 10" 175
Russell 5 10" 180
Lebda 5 9" 195
Rafalski 5 10" 191
Ellis 5 9" 173
Meyer 5 10" 192
Timonen 5 10" 194
Weaver 5 9" 182
White 5 10" 185
Liles 5 10" 185
If Warsofsky can skate,make great outlet passes,use every inch of his body,be sound positionaly,and have a great stick,and is not afraid... well then his size should not be an issue.
Cool thanks. So, there's a chance I suppose.

Old
06-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Ratty

Quote:
That's exactly my concern. I wonder if he can play wing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Wsd25cUYY
You would have to select that clip of his goal against BC, now, wouldn't you? But look at the score at the end, BC up 4-2 and goes on to win the Beanpot.

I'm looking forward even more, now to going to Agganis to see him match up against Tommy Cross. They'll both be juniors, and who knows, 2011-2012 teammates.

Ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
If anyone really wants to look up players heights here is a good source from this past season. Francis Bouillon is listed as the smallest D-man at 5'8" and 198 lbs. Gionta is the smallest player at 5'7" and 173 Lbs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?service=p...er.height&pg=1

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:03 PM
BREWINZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty View Post
You would have to select that clip of his goal against BC, now, wouldn't you? But look at the score at the end, BC up 4-2 and goes on to win the Beanpot.

I'm looking forward even more, now to going to Agganis to see him match up against Tommy Cross. They'll both be juniors, and who knows, 2011-2012 teammates.
No disrespect intended! Just the best clip showing his speed.