HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Verbal deal for Nabby (2011 7th round pick for rights, if signed before July 1)

Old
06-28-2010, 07:33 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Why do people say that it was just Nabby's fault during the Olympics? Also, I don't think we should go after Bryz and Vokoun, considering in 2 or 3 years, we will have Bobrovsky and Eriksson as our goalies.
This line of thinking has got to end. Frankly, it should hardly play into what we decide to do this offseason. You can never assume prospects, especially goalie prospects, even though both of them look like great, can't miss types. If we find a goalie that deserves a 5-year deal (which I don't see on the market, but hypothetically), we make the deal. If Bryz or Vokoun was available, you make the deal because this team is built to win now.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:49 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
This line of thinking has got to end. Frankly, it should hardly play into what we decide to do this offseason. You can never assume prospects, especially goalie prospects, even though both of them look like great, can't miss types. If we find a goalie that deserves a 5-year deal (which I don't see on the market, but hypothetically), we make the deal. If Bryz or Vokoun was available, you make the deal because this team is built to win now.
Agree as the list of future flyers goalies is endless. If those guys pan out then you have trade chips. Said it before they shouldnt even enter into the discussion of what goalie they look at. If the flyers have shown in the past that they have an eye for goalies it might change things but they have not.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:03 AM
MiD

simply no to 5 year contract to any goalie in mid 30...

MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
I agree with the line of thinking that we shouldnt use the "well we have a couple of guys who we think will be ready in a couple of years."
You cannot do that, You should groomhave these guys once they get to Noth America. put em in the AHL for a year or 2. have em play backup for at least a season after that. We finally have a couple of kids we should be excited about down the line. Having said that nothing is a sure thing in the NHL. Never base your signings based on thinking that Bobo or Sunshine will be ready in 3 years for sure.
I know there isnt a market this season to give a goalie a 5 year deal. but if there was, and if we felt he was our guy you do it. As much as I like Nabokov I wouldnt give him 5 years.
Turco IMO could be headed to San Jose now.
I wouldnt give more then 2 years to Ellis or Mason. I hope to God they stay a thousand miles away from Theodore.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:14 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1335
Bill Meltzer has a detailed look at goaltending and commentary on Hamhuis. I'll put the link for both in each thread...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...28-10/45/29069

Quote:
Want to a clear upgrade in goal? Then be prepared to pay for it. Once you move a step down in the NHL goaltending pecking order from the likes of Ryan Miller, Martin Brodeur or Roberto Luongo, veterans like Nabokov and Thomas are about as good as you will find on the market, and there are no bargains to be had in the mid-tier goalies who are the next half-step down.

Is Dan Ellis really a goaltender worth paying $4 million a season? He made $2 million last season in Nashville and figures to at least double that next season after he signs somewhere in free agency. Chris Mason made $3 million last season in St. Louis and is going to make at least that much if a team signs him. Hell, Vesa Toskala made $4 million last season, so why would guys like Ellis or Mason not price themselves in at least that range?

Jose Theodore will not pull down another $4.5 million contract and Marty Turco will certainly not get another $5.4 million , but they still going to require a substantial cap hit to sign if you dive in at the start of free agency. Perhaps one or the other will sit out on the market unsigned during the summer and be willing to take substantially less money (Theodore) or less money and a one-year or two-year contract (Turco). But are either of those goaltenders, or any of the mid-tier guys, going to get you successfully through four rounds of playoffs? Or do you figure you might as well spend less and hope for another Leighton/Boucher type of run come spring time?

Any way you slice it, the Flyers' decision on their next goaltender is going to involve an element of risk.

If they still somehow manage to swing a trade for a young goaltender -- LA rebuffed the Flyers' inquiries about Jon Bernier and Jamie Quick, but players such as Cory Schneider (Vancouver) or Jhonas Enroth (Buffalo) may still be available -- then there will be the inevitable questions about lack of Stanley Cup playoff experience. If you sign Nabokov, there's the question about his past playoff performances. If you sign another free agent or trade for Thomas, there are also a host of uncertainties. It is what is is.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:18 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Bill Meltzer has a detailed look at goaltending and commentary on Hamhuis. I'll put the link for both in each thread...

that would be Jonathan Quick.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:

I just don't see them getting that much money. There are quite a few goalies available and very few starting spots. Supply and demand.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:22 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I just don't see them getting that much money. There are quite a few goalies available and very few starting spots. Supply and demand.
I see us overpaying Nabakov and then other teams getting Turco, Ellis and Mason for super-cheap.

What can you do?

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:27 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
that would be Jonathan Quick.
I read it as Jamie Quirk. Remember him?

Old
06-28-2010, 10:31 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:

I'd be happy to throw money at Volchenkov. He'll want about 5 mil per I'm assuming. If we were going to dish out 4-4.5 mil for Hamhuis, might as well put that money towards A-Train because we aren't getting a legit goalie...

Pronger - Carle
Timonen - Volchenkov
Coburn - Bart

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Jester

According to the ESPN crew we got permission from Dallas and made an offer to Turco that was turned down... wants to test the market.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Watching Pierre LeBrun make some tweets, apparently we were given permission to speak with Turco too. Turco said he wants to see what's on the market.

I don't get it. There MIGHT be 4 teams looking for goalies, and three of them are going to be pinching pennies doing so.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

^ It's a game of musical chairs.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Watching Pierre LeBrun make some tweets, apparently we were given permission to speak with Turco too. Turco said he wants to see what's on the market.

I don't get it. There MIGHT be 4 teams looking for goalies, and three of them are going to be pinching pennies doing so.
Eh, that makes it clear to both Nabokov and Turco that we want them, so going into July 1st they're armed with that information. If rumors that SJ wants Turco are true, then he can maybe squeeze a bit more out of the contract by getting teams bidding. Of course, who knows, Holmgren doesn't make a lot of sense... watch him do this stuff and then sign Mason as soon as the market opens.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:41 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I see us overpaying Nabakov and then other teams getting Turco, Ellis and Mason for super-cheap.

What can you do?
I think Nabokov will take the money and go for the KHL. Ultimately I would be content with any of Turco, Ellis, Mason, or Nabokov provided we don't overpay them.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:42 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

Quote:
I read it as Jamie Quirk. Remember him?
yeah, KC Royals.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
According to the ESPN crew we got permission from Dallas and made an offer to Turco that was turned down... wants to test the market.
Looked it up. This is what Homer should be doing. Kicking all the tires to see who will jump and sign quick and cheap.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog?...me%3dhradek_ej

Before turning his eye to Nabokov, however, Holmgren had quietly received the green light from Dallas to speak to another soon-to-be free netminder, Stars UFA Marty Turco.

In fact, Holmgren offered Turco a three-year deal worth roughly $6 million (or a bit more than $2 million per season). The 34-year-old Turco, who confirmed the offer via text message, politely declined, opting to test the market on Thursday.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:43 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Eh, that makes it clear to both Nabokov and Turco that we want them, so going into July 1st they're armed with that information. If rumors that SJ wants Turco are true, then he can maybe squeeze a bit more out of the contract by getting teams bidding. Of course, who knows, Holmgren doesn't make a lot of sense... watch him do this stuff and then sign Mason as soon as the market opens.
I watched a San Jose-Dallas game during the season. The Sharks' analyst, who we overwhelmingly praised for his analysis during game(s), said "Whoever gets Turco is getting a steal."

Old
06-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Honestly I don't care who it is that we get from the people that are available because they all provide an instant upgrade over Leighton. I just want a 2-3 year deal at $4M or under. We only need minor tweaks to our skaters so goal should be where we spend most of our money, so long as the contract we give a goalie does not handcuff us further in retaining Carter/Giroux/Gagne etc.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
yeah, KC Royals.
Very good. Also a part of the media darlings known as the 1990 Oakland A's. Insert brooms!

Old
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
I watched a San Jose-Dallas game during the season. The Sharks' analyst, who we overwhelmingly praised for his analysis during game(s), said "Whoever gets Turco is getting a steal."
Ehh, he's declined greatly recently.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Looked it up. This is what Homer should be doing. Kicking all the tires to see who will jump and sign quick and cheap.

Before turning his eye to Nabokov, however, Holmgren had quietly received the green light from Dallas to speak to another soon-to-be free netminder, Stars UFA Marty Turco.

In fact, Holmgren offered Turco a three-year deal worth roughly $6 million (or a bit more than $2 million per season). The 34-year-old Turco, who confirmed the offer via text message, politely declined, opting to test the market on Thursday.
I can see why he'd turn that down, but that's the exact type of offer he should be putting out there to start out free agency. Hopefully it was a "we'll keep channels open" decline... which I think works for both parties.

Quote:
Yeah, I like Turco... I'm not sure who is going to be a better signing between Mason, Ellis, and Turco, however. I especially like that he plays the puck well, which has been a significant aggravation with our goalies the last few years.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Even Mason, it would be fine with me I suppose. It's clear they're not trading for anyone but any one of the three are a clear upgrade. Chris Mason was going to be Canada's 4th goalie at the Olympics had they needed him (I think).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:48 AM
McNasty

Quote:

Makes sense, Turco has to think he can get more then 2 mil out of the Flyers by getting a better offer, whereas the Flyers are rightly going to low ball them with the idea that saving money in the net makes the roster better.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

This makes me happy. I hope Holmgren stays patient and sticks to $4M and under and a short term deal, and doesn't get frustrated and overpay.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote