HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Verbal deal for Nabby (2011 7th round pick for rights, if signed before July 1)

Old
06-27-2010, 11:42 AM
RIPRichardsCarter

vCash: 500
I'm fine with this. I'm glad Homer isn't overpaying anyone. We can always hold out with the current team and have Leighton start. We can always sign UFA's or make a move at the deadline.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:22 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Just get Mason.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
RT @RealKyper: Flyers/ Nabokov talks appear to be over. Asking price was way too rich.
I said several times in the first few pages of this topic that if he's asking for like 5 mil (like some expected us to sign him for) then he's likely going to get himself Biron'd. That or he'll end up going to Russia. One or the other.

Us and San Jose are really the only teams with a pressing need for a starter and San Jose won't take Nabokov back. Tampa can just stick with Smith/Niitty if they want to. He really doesn't have many options here. In fact, we're probably his best option.

What I don't understand though is how in the hell do Nabokov and his agent not see what kind of market they're in when armchair GMs can?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
I'm fine with this. I'm glad Homer isn't overpaying anyone. We can always hold out with the current team and have Leighton start. We can always sign UFA's or make a move at the deadline.
God no. That's such a horrible idea.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I'm not a big Kypreos guy. Remember, he said that we had a trade signed, sealed, and delivered for Kovalchuk.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:32 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post

God no. That's such a horrible idea.
Why is it such a horrible idea? Leighton is still young and his big bodied style of play fits our team well. He can continue to grow as a goalie with this team.

Trust me, I don't even like Leighton, but I'd MUCH rather have him as our starter in the regular season then overpay an old player like Nabby.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I said several times in the first few pages of this topic that if he's asking for like 5 mil (like some expected us to sign him for) then he's likely going to get himself Biron'd. That or he'll end up going to Russia. One or the other.

Us and San Jose are really the only teams with a pressing need for a starter and San Jose won't take Nabokov back. Tampa can just stick with Smith/Niitty if they want to. He really doesn't have many options here. In fact, we're probably his best option.

What I don't understand though is how in the hell do Nabokov and his agent not see what kind of market they're in when armchair GMs can?
Hell, ESPN had an article in which Ellis basically said you have to worry a bit more about finding a job than maximizing your contract. So, even the players are aware of this.

I would suspect Nabokov and his agent are aware of this, but maybe he just wants to actually see what the market is... and/or stay in the west. Hell, maybe he's even interested in playing in the KHL.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:33 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Trust me, I don't even like Leighton, but I'd MUCH rather have him as our starter in the regular season then overpay an old player like Nabby.
I'd take almost anyone over Leighton.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:36 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
You'd overpay a goalie and put our team in a bad cap situation not only this year, but for coming years rather than Leighton? You people blow my mind.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Jester

Quote:
You'd overpay a goalie and put our team in a bad cap situation not only this year, but for coming years rather than Leighton? You people blow my mind.
...why would you assume we'd "overpay?" The goalie market will be very modest contractually this year (or at least should be if the GMs aren't idiots).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Why is it such a horrible idea? Leighton is still young and his big bodied style of play fits our team well. He can continue to grow as a goalie with this team.

This has been done over and over again. it's a horrible idea because it's Michael freaking Leighton. Backed up by Brian freaking Boucher. Leighton showed in the series against the Blackhawks why he isn't a good goalie.

His style is exactly what you described it as. "Big bodied". His style is simply to just keep his big ass in the net so that shooters don't have much to shoot at. That's literally his only redeeming quality, except for maybe a decent glove hand. You could fit a train through his five-hole, his lateral movement is nothing special and sub-par at times, and his reflexes are also nothing special. His rebound control is poor. If he were a small goalie then there's no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't be in the NHL.

I mean, did any of you guys watch him in Carolina? Or here for that matter? He was a waiver wire-pickup who never got to hold the reigns for a team before last season for a reason. The only reason he even scrapes by as a starter with us is because we have arguably the best defense in the league and a terrific coach. Those two things combined show on the ice because they're able to take block shots well and clear out rebounds well. Michael Leighton wouldn't survive on a team like...the Lightning or Islanders for instance.

Who says we would have to over-pay for someone anyway? Nabokov is one goalie that's going to have to either price himself down eventually or bolt to Russia. There's still plenty of other options available for cheap in free agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hell, ESPN had an article in which Ellis basically said you have to worry a bit more about finding a job than maximizing your contract. So, even the players are aware of this.

I would suspect Nabokov and his agent are aware of this, but maybe he just wants to actually see what the market is... and/or stay in the west. Hell, maybe he's even interested in playing in the KHL.
That's one of the various reasons why I would like Ellis if we can't afford Nabokov or get a decent trade for a goalie done.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nabokov is willing to go to the KHL for the money. He seems like a money kind of guy.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Again, why are you assuming we'd have to overpay someone? This is a buyer's market this year, just like last year. Mason, Ellis, Biron, and Turco should all come relatively cheap.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:52 PM
Centauris*

Quote:

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post

His agent did say the KHL is an option in Carchidi's article today.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:10 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Your avy is jinxing our chances!

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:10 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
His agent did say the KHL is an option in Carchidi's article today.
of course he's going to say that in order to try to maximize his contract

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:15 PM
JSTAFF

i still think we should go with Mason. ah well

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
There's a shocker

Ellis or Mason please!!!
yes!!!!!!! more average at best goaltending

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post

Unfortunately, the high quality goalies are already locked up.

The longer this drags on the more I worry about Leighton being re-signed.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
Mason isnt average... 2.54 gaa, .914 sv% on pretty much average teams for a long long time isnt average....at all

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:46 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Mason isnt average... 2.54 gaa, .914 sv% on pretty much average teams for a long long time isnt average....at all

I am not saying we should overpay for Nabokov. Just get sick and tired of a differnet goalie every year.

Old
06-27-2010, 01:48 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
we better not overpay for him. He is getting old

edit
and he turns 35 in july so 35+ contract is in effect
No it isn't.

The date which is used to determine age is June 30th of the year in which the contract takes effect. His contract would take effect this season, therefore the date we are concerned with is June 30, 2010. At that date he is 34 years old. I quoted this from the CBA, but can't recall if that was in this thread or another.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:59 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
No it isn't.

The date which is used to determine age is June 30th of the year in which the contract takes effect. His contract would take effect this season, therefore the date we are concerned with is June 30, 2010. At that date he is 34 years old. I quoted this from the CBA, but can't recall if that was in this thread or another.
ok, because I did have questions about that very thing when it came to Nabokov. That is good news then if do in fact decide to sign him and he recides to reire before the contract is done.

Old
06-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Komarov47

Apparently Philly won't be able to sign him, plus Nabokov is willing to test the free agent market... Damn wtf is wrong with Philly?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:01 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Apparently Philly won't be able to sign him, plus Nabokov is willing to test the free agent market... Damn wtf is wrong with Philly?
Sounds to me like the Flyers weren't willing to overpay for his services. If that's the case, I'm more than okay with that.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:02 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
I'd imagine Homer knows he doesn't exactly have deep pockets and that the goalie market is rich this year. He probably has a number in his head and is sticking to his guns. I, for one, welcome it.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote