HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings Prospect Camp

Old
06-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Loki/Voinov have never attended the prospect camp's if I remember correctly, they are in Russia, why make them come all the way out here for a 4 day "meaningless-ish" camp....I mean how many years have Lewis/Azevedo/Holloway/Cambell had as pros.

No way do I see Franson as the #7, was Mikus penciled in last year??

?? Is this the same camp that they usually scrimmage Phx ever year or is that a later camp? Development Camp?
Mikus isn't comparable imo. He's actually been to NA before.

Looks like he's gone too?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=78459

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:24 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Mikus isn't comparable imo. He's actually been to NA before.

Looks like he's gone too?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=78459
IMO I think he is comparable, I mean they each got 1 year contracts....each playing in a pro league in Europe (Mikus was a lesser league though) and each are at or near there prime years. Though one isn't getting quite the hype the other got....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
IMO I think he is comparable, I mean they each got 1 year contracts....each playing in a pro league in Europe (Mikus was a lesser league though) and each are at or near there prime years. Though one isn't getting quite the hype the other got....
There wasn't really a spot for Mikus on the Kings roster when he signed though. Fransson is in a prime position to take over for Jones.

Old
06-29-2010, 10:49 PM
KingLB

Quote:
There wasn't really a spot for Mikus on the Kings roster when he signed though. Fransson is in a prime position to take over for Jones.
Really? If you mean in a top6 role I might agree with you, but the Kings bottom6 last year was competently unknown at the start, remember Lewis started the season with the Kings, half the posters on this board thought Richardson wasn't worth a 6th rounder, Parse hadn't emerged yet.

IMO at least 1 of our young guys should make the team, leaving 1 spot open, if the King stay out of FA then maybe he gets a chance on the bottom pairing/7th dman but who knows. IMO Drewiske deserves one of the spots in the line-up before Murray fuked with his head last year I thought he was one of the Kings top4 dmen.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Really? If you mean in a top6 role I might agree with you, but the Kings bottom6 last year was competently unknown at the start, remember Lewis started the season with the Kings, half the posters on this board thought Richardson wasn't worth a 6th rounder, Parse hadn't emerged yet.

IMO at least 1 of our young guys should make the team, leaving 1 spot open, if the King stay out of FA then maybe he gets a chance on the bottom pairing/7th dman but who knows. IMO Drewiske deserves one of the spots in the line-up before Murray fuked with his head last year I thought he was one of the Kings top4 dmen.
Top 6 role for sure. None of the hype surrounding Mikus had anyone thinking he could even attempt to fill a bottom 6 role.

Old
06-30-2010, 12:47 AM
typicaljs

no rampant speculation as to who the two kids the Kings invited that they thought were going to be 5th or 6th round picks ?

I think one is definitely Andrew Crescenzi and the other is Konan. Seem like the only two that fit the age range right ?

typicaljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:13 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
C Andrew Crescenzi - Kitchener (OHL)
I figured he'd get an invite somewhere - I'm looking forward to hearing how he does.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

My boy Robbie Czarnik with 2 goals
My other boy Trevor Lewis with one goal

proud of them

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Did Holloway get the GW goal?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:28 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Kings Prospect Camp 2010

Did anyone go? Can anyone share their thoughts on our prospects?

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:57 PM
lafan

Holloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Did Holloway get the GW goal?
got two i think one was a game winner lol lol

lafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Teubert's interview:

http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/06/30...iew/#more-6529

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:12 PM
igotnothing

Lineups for scrimmage

This is what the free roster sheet at the door said the groups were

Group A (White Jerseys)

Brandon Glover
Martin Jones

Jake Muzzin - Ryan O'Connor
Derek Forbort - Nic Deslauriers
Patrick Mullen - Matthew Konan

Kyle Clifford - Linden Vey - Tyler Toffoli
Bud Holloway - Ray Kaunisto - Robbie Czarnik
Michael Pelech - Corey Elkins - Trevor Lewis
Josh Turnbull

Group B (Black Jerseys)

Sean Bonnar (yes, Bonnar is the way its spelled on the sheet)
Garrett Zemlak
JF Berube

Thomas Hickey - Kevin Gravel
Andrew Campbell - Samuel Groulx
Dylan King - David Kolomaitis

Jordan Nolan - Oscar Moller - Jordan Weal
Maxim Kitsyn - Justin Azevedo - Nic Dowd
Dwight King - Andrew Cresenzi - Garrett Roe
Zach Harnden

Injured
Brandon Kozun
Brayden Schenn
Colton Teubert

I'll follow up with some notes in a moment.

igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:22 PM
losingsand

(my post on LGK) PLAYER RECAPS FROM DAY 1

CZARNIK
-- I give him the nod for standing out the most in today's camp. Definitely neck to neck with Jordan Weal. Czarnik gets the edge because he even stood out to me in the drills. It carried over into the game nicely. He was quick, he was fast, he was skilled, and he created. Great anticipation offensively and I think DL should give him a serious look if we happen to come down with some injuries and need to look for scoring somewhere in the system. He wouldn't be a bad plug-in over the smaller-skilled guys in the organization since he does have a decent frame. I love that he made a goal out of nothing on a bad angle on his backhand. Great prospect to have because i thought he was great in all 3 camps I've seen him in.

WEAL
-- There's been high praise for the kid's performance today and it's NOT an exaggeration. The kid was noticeable every shift and you can tell that he's just great at sniffing out the situation and his reaction time is absolutely immediate. He's shifty, he's quick, he's pesty in that he's always buzzing around and even forced a couple of turnovers with his determination. I would be satisfied if this was our number one pick... Don't worry, i'm not penciling him onto our first line right now, he just had a great day today and hopefully he shows more of the same tomorrow. Jordan Weal is a very nice skilled player to have in our system. Good job scouts.

DESLAURIER
-- Another stand-out for SURE today, and i'm glad others have noticed it too. I'm slightly biased because he stood out last camp for me, therefore i watched him more carefully this year and he did NOT disappoint. He pulled some sweet doughtyesque moves in his own end to buy time to make a break out pass.. one was the spinorama, the other was a fake-pass-quickstop-headfake-outlet pass(in a split second) to a forward. The kid is savvy and he stood out to me in the poise/skill/smooth department. Found the perfect moments to jump in as well. Not to mention he was sound defensively. His breakout passes are spot on too. I hate to jinx it and it's a longshot at this point given where he is on the depth chart but he could very well be an NHL player. I'm not giving up on Hickey or Voynov by any means but Deslaurier gives us a good option if we want to move some of these HIGHERLEVEL prospects for a good return.

HOLLOWAY
-- Just a solid offensive player that makes most of his oppurtunities. Overall had a great day with Czarnik as the 2 were all over the ice.

CLIFFORD-- Picked up too where he left off. He seems a bit quicker this year. Had a very solid game, still physical and had a very nice goal in drills where he was tripped and scored the goal while falling down hard.

MOLLER-- He and weal had very nice chemistry throughout darting in and out of the play and both being shifty and creative to keep the forecheck going. Didn't see him getting tossed around so much today. In terms of stature he looked the same as he did last year. He's still a strong skater and wasn't afraid to go to the net and take the puck to the tough areas.

KAUNISTO-- Didn't know what to expect but i thought he too had a very nice day today. I noticed him a lot and he showed great patience on the holloway goal. there was a ton going on around him but he stayed calm and made a great play. Another solid FA pickup by the kings.

now the people you want to hear about:

HICKEY-- Decent. broke up a couple of plays... other than that...had a serviceable vanilla day.

MUZZIN-- Bigger than i thought, and he does have that bite but didn't notice much in terms of the actual game play.

FORBORT-- Honestly didn't notice him much at all... Someone even asked me "is forbort playing?" i said.."i think so!"

KITSYN-- choppy skating, shyed away from a couple of chances, and seem to not get much ice time in general.

GRAVEL-- With a name like gravel i keep thinking that he's going to be super gritty.. but i noticed more of an all around game from him.

LEWIS-- the only -06'er on the ice and sadly didn't see much from him, he had a couple of nice shifts. the goal he scored was just him digging away at an uncovered puck in the crease.

That was my take on the days events. REEEALLY bummed not to see schenn / kozun / teubert / toffoli in the scrimmage.

and no holloway did not have the GWG. it was czarnik...

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:25 PM
losingsand

GAME/DRILLS RECAP:

Rolled up at about 8:03am and players had already taken the ice and skating around.

I believe it was GROUP A on the ice and they were paired up this way for practice:

(blue)ELKINS / LEWIS / PELECH / CRESENZI / TURNBULL
(white)VEY / TOFFOLI / CLIFFORD
(yellow)HOLLOWAY / KAUNISTO / CZARNIK
(D)O'connor, Deslaurier, Konan, Mullen, Forbort, Muzzin

Group A pretty much kept those lines moving i believe Lewis up to where Toffoli was. Toffoli DID practice but did not scrimmage.

I didn't really notice anything that stood out seeing forbort and toffoli during drills. It was your typical ho-hum drills session so i wasn't paying too much attention.

SCRIMMAGE:

--Right off the bat (as hammond said) Azevedo made a nice strong move around forbort and crashed hard into Jones. Azevedo immediately went to see if jones was ok... Jones was down for a second but got up, took off his helmet, gathered himself and everything was fine.

--Weal started off the scoring with a penalty shot goal. He got the penalty by blocking a shot at the point, retrieving the puck and then making a quick shifty move to the outside of the defender but the D had no choice but to slash/hook him down.

--Up until that goal Weal had already been very noticeable w/ moller. He was buzzing and looking really solid, i remember seeing him skating to center ice about take the penalty shot and thinking that there was no question that he was going to score. I believe he just went straight in on the goaltender and shot it low stick side on Jones.
(visitor 1-0)

--Home finally got on the board when Deslaurier chipped a backhand pass off the board from his own zone to czarnik who stayed onside and skated outside on in and backhanded it home. Seeing the play develop i was not expecting a goal from that angle and it somehow made it through.
(1-1)

--Moller/Weal/Nolan continued to have good shift after good shift, weal being the star on that line.

(2nd half)

--Czarnik then made it 2-1 on the rush, when he pounced on a rebound that Clifford had put on net. Deslaurier started off that attack again from his own zone. BONAR was the goaltender for the visitors and in this period he would definitely like to have those 20 minutes back because that bonar was a little soft...:/

--Holloway made it 3-1 with a beautiful pass from kaunisto... the play developed where kaunisto was skating backwards in the slot, waited and waited and dished off to holloway for the gimmie.

--Lewis made it 4-1 with just yr basic scrum goal...nothing too pretty about it.

--Holloway made it 5-1 on a beautiful roof shot getting a pass from czarnik(?) from behind the net. Czarnik was on the ice for that goal but i wasn't sure if it was him that made the pass... i'm just assuming it was based on how he was playing all game long.

losingsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:15 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Thanks for the updates!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:11 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
What an absolutely terrible last name. I cringe at the thought of being a moderator in the future if he is signed.
You really are YOUNG. Back in the early 80's the Kings had a player named Danny Bonar (#8) whose job it was to shadow Gretzky and try to "wear his jersey while Gretzky was still in it." He was a pest of the most bothersome kind. He was known around the team as Gretzky's toothless shadow. (He had no front teeth).

You weren't even a sparkle in your dad's eye yet!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:59 PM
igotnothing

Read losingsands post, way more info, but here's what I saw anyway.

I didn't think that speed was a issue for Azevedo today, he beat Forbort and didn't really look out of place due to speed.

Toffoli on the other hand looked worse than I imagined when I read about him. No speed, not smooth at all. Don't know if the injury slowed him down during practice.

Holloway, Vey, Muzzin, Kaunisto, Czarnik, Weal, all looked good. Hickey made some decent moves, but I'd like to see him play against better competition to get a idea about where he's at in his development.

I was surprised to see Oscar Moller at the camp since he has NHL experience. It showed during the game. His skating and overall game was much more confident than most of the other players.

What stood out for me was that the players that were previous draft picks were much more developed than then newer picks and invitees. I suppose that's to be expected, but it drives home the point that these kids really need time to get better.

igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote