HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official 2010 Red Wings Draft Thread Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2010, 09:53 AM
r0bert8841

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
I don't know why I find your post funny. I really like the guy, he is pretty patient and a little optimistic when it comes to prospects, which is why I can see you dislike. He is also a mod on HF I think and does the PHX write ups (or another team I think in SW cause the Red Wings are already taken).

He knows his prospects though, he was probably one of the only people at the beginning of the season telling people to give Howard a chance while most were writing him off.

But really Bob besides RWC where else can you get information on a prospect from first hand experience. No other blog really comes close to prospect coverage.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:27 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
I don't know why I find your post funny. I really like the guy, he is pretty patient and a little optimistic when it comes to prospects, which is why I can see you dislike. He is also a mod on HF I think and does the PHX write ups (or another team I think in SW cause the Red Wings are already taken).

He knows his prospects though, he was probably one of the only people at the beginning of the season telling people to give Howard a chance while most were writing him off.

But really Bob besides RWC where else can you get information on a prospect from first hand experience. No other blog really comes close to prospect coverage.
No offense, Robert, but you're wrong, wrong, wrong.
1. I did a quick scan of the site, and I don't think he knows anymore about our prospects than anyone else.
2. I am optimistic about many of our prospects, so your attempt to paint me as negative is silly.
3. Many of us argued that we needed to give Howard a chance.
4. What first-hand information does he provide? RWC provides first-hand experience. Even if I've come to find RWC overly optimisitic (which isn't a surprise, most of the information comes straight from people in the organization who generally have a vested interest in playing up the value of an asset), it's straight from Detroit Red Wings scouts. From what I can tell, Babcock Death Stare just regurgitates everything we see from all the familiar sources. How is that first-hand information?

Old
06-27-2010, 11:50 AM
FissionFire

Despite my best efforts to prevent it CB's brand of brash. mostly rude, always witty commentary is growing on me.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Roy S

In the 3 years he's been with us, Rafalski is 5th in Pts and +- among all defenseman in the NHL. He was brought here to form a great 1st pairing with Lidstrom at ES and excel on the PP and he's done just that. Also, b/c of his puck possession-like style, he minimizes shots against and goals against at ES against top competition better than any other D on our team (except Lidstrom) and better than the vast majority of defenseman in the NHL. He may be below average in his own zone, but we are rarely in our zone when he is on the ice, so his defensive style doesn't hurt us as much as most would like to believe.

Offense and defense are linked together in hockey. If you are always on offense and always have possession, then it doesn't matter how bad you may be in your own zone. The other team isn't going to score against you. On the other hand, if you are constantly pinned in your own end and can never possess the puck, then it doesn't matter how good you are in your own zone. There will be a lot of goals scored against you. Either way you slice it or look at it, teams don't score many goals when Rafalski is on the ice and he has a great +- over the course of his entire career. He certainly plays with other elite talent, but he deserves credit for his superior stats, as well. He is a great fit in our system and his signing was one of Holland's most underrated moves. He doesn't fit the stereotypical mold of what a defenseman "should be", but that doesn't mean much of anything.

Last edited by Roy S: 06-27-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Old
06-27-2010, 12:49 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
No offense, Robert, but you're wrong, wrong, wrong.
1. I did a quick scan of the site, and I don't think he knows anymore about our prospects than anyone else.
2. I am optimistic about many of our prospects, so your attempt to paint me as negative is silly.
3. Many of us argued that we needed to give Howard a chance.
4. What first-hand information does he provide? RWC provides first-hand experience. Even if I've come to find RWC overly optimisitic (which isn't a surprise, most of the information comes straight from people in the organization who generally have a vested interest in playing up the value of an asset), it's straight from Detroit Red Wings scouts. From what I can tell, Babcock Death Stare just regurgitates everything we see from all the familiar sources. How is that first-hand information?
Not trying to defend BDS or anything but I check it occasionally, especially for prospects. He does regurgitate a lot, but he finds all of the facts and puts it together in one spot, which is nice for me because I don't have to do tons of research myself. He's also pretty knowledgeable about prospects and he adds his own opinion of them, which I tend to agree with.

Nowhere near garbage filled with typos (what typos?), and I don't see any Babcock love beside the banner, haha.. but it's just a blog run by one nobody guy, it's not gonna compare to RWC or Winging It in Motown or something. Not a prime source for news but what's the harm in checking up on the smaller Wings blogs to read different opinions?

Old
06-27-2010, 01:20 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatar Sauce View Post
Not trying to defend BDS or anything but I check it occasionally, especially for prospects. He does regurgitate a lot, but he finds all of the facts and puts it together in one spot, which is nice for me because I don't have to do tons of research myself. He's also pretty knowledgeable about prospects and he adds his own opinion of them, which I tend to agree with.

Nowhere near garbage filled with typos (what typos?), and I don't see any Babcock love beside the banner, haha.. but it's just a blog run by one nobody guy, it's not gonna compare to RWC or Winging It in Motown or something. Not a prime source for news but what's the harm in checking up on the smaller Wings blogs to read different opinions?
There's no harm at all. It's a blog.
I check Snapshots all the time, even if Malik infuriates me with his pandering. Malik is a great clearing house of information. His own stuff is useless. But if you want one place that takes you just about every where you need to go, he's the best.

Deathstare comes off like every other fanblog in the world. Ok, maybe a bit better than most. That's OK. But if Robert is going to call it a source of good information, I have a right to say what I think of it.

Old
06-27-2010, 01:23 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
There's no harm at all. It's a blog.
I check Snapshots all the time, even if Malik infuriates me with his pandering. Malik is a great clearing house of information. His own stuff is useless. But if you want one place that takes you just about every where you need to go, he's the best.

Deathstare comes off like every other fanblog in the world. Ok, maybe a bit better than most. That's OK. But if Robert is going to call it a source of good information, I have a right to say what I think of it.
Oh yeah for sure, I agree with you in that sense.

Old
06-27-2010, 01:29 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
He doesn't fit the stereotypical mold of what a defenseman "should be", but that doesn't mean much of anything.
He's losing foot-speed. His speed was once his best defensive asset. Now he's getting beat to the outside on a fairly routine basis. He constantly loses battles in the corners. He's useless at crease clearing. His giveaways have become more blatant in recent years.

He doesn't play much on the PK because his defense is mediocre.
When he was signed, people here questioned his defense. Defenders said, oh, look how good he was in jersey. Marty still had a great goals against even after Scott Stevens retired.

Blah. Blah. Blah. His defense sucks.

I get a kick out of people ripping on Brian Campbell as the worst contract in the NHL. Because he's faster, better defensively and a harder hitter than Rafalski for $1.5 M more.
Oh, and he's not deteriorating by the minute.

Old
06-27-2010, 02:39 PM
JacksonGalaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
Writer for Anaheim now, not a mod.

I hope there is no confusion as to what BDS actually is. It is a blog, and I try to keep my readers informed, many of them don't know all the best places to track down information like I feel I do. I really only see the OHL, NCAA, and AHL prospects so I don't claim to be an expert or have contacts like RWC. It's just an opinion.

But this has certainly been a humorous read. Apologies to those of you who I've embarrassed with my drivel .

Old
06-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Fugu

vCash:
That said, now that the draft is over and no one is talking about it any longer, resume prospect talk in the Prospect Tracker thread.

*Locked*

Closed Thread