HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LeBrun: Kings tried to acquire Kovalchuk's rights.

Old
06-26-2010, 10:42 PM
no name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Ok, I got a question for you guys: Now, most of you seem to have a cap limit set for Kovy at around 8M. My question is if the dux offer Kovy the max 9.5M, would you rather that Kovy sign with the dux or that we match the offer so he can sign with us?

I've already gone on record saying that we pay Kovy whatever we need to. Yeah, it'd be great if it were a friendly cap but if it's 9.5M, I say pay him. And believe me, that extra 1.5M isn't going to kill us. If anything, we'll probably compensate for the additional 1.5M by signing other FAs for less.

Well, let's hear it.
Boy, with the draft the Ducks just had and the addition of Kovy they will be lethal. In a couple years Fowler and Etan will be on ETC's and contributing. That will allow flexability.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:58 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Trade both Lupul and Blake and their 4M salary which will create an additional 8M. Then sign Ryan to 4M; Wis @ 3M; Hamhuis @ 4.5M; Kovy @ 9.5M; Selanne @ 2.5M; Koivu @ 2.5M; AV @ 4.5M.

Core Offense:

Koivu-Selanne-Kovy
Getzlaff-Ryan-Perry

Core Defense:

Lubo-AV
Hamhuis-Wis
Ducks won't spend the cash on Kovalchuk. Their biggest need for forwards was last summer...and there was a big market with Havlat/Gaborik/Hossa and i don't even know if an offer was put forth. They haven't been big spenders in the free agency.....Niedermeyer wanted to go there and got his deal....If Kovalchuk wants to come to socal....he'll go to the kings because we're more complete on paper than the ducks and we also have more flexibility with the cap. Why would the ducks trade Blake and Lupul? they'd be much happier keeping that duo for 8 million rather than signing one elite player that carries a bit of a liability on defense which they don't need. The kings need the elite winger, not the ducks. the kings don't have a Bobby Ryan or an elite goal scorer for Kopitar.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Johnny Utah

Ducks need major help on D. With Lupol, Perry, Ryan, Blake and Getzlaf that's a lot of money on just 5 forwards.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:05 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
he doesnt block shots...it's Brooks Orpik that does that for the Pens

Andy Sutton is also available

and i'd take him any day over Eaton
Eaton had 19 more blocks in 6 games than Orpik did regular season. Orpik had 10 more come playoff time. Both are very adept at blocking shots.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:39 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Is Gonchar a possible target? Would be a pretty lethal 1-2 punch on the blue line with Doughnuts and Dean has gone on record saying the Kings need another dman who can pass the puck to help the breakout. As for the Kings trying to get IK's rights my hopes are officially sky high. I need Kings17 to talk me off the ledge cause I really think he's coming to LA.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Yes, but July 1st isn't cooperating as it's still MONTHS away. So, as boring and redundant as it's been for the past month, please tolerate more of the same.

We're just going around in circles talking about the same **** over and over again.
Man, your posts are getting odder by the click.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 11:56 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Is Gonchar a possible target? Would be a pretty lethal 1-2 punch on the blue line with Doughnuts and Dean has gone on record saying the Kings need another dman who can pass the puck to help the breakout. As for the Kings trying to get IK's rights my hopes are officially sky high. I need Kings17 to talk me off the ledge cause I really think he's coming to LA.
I doubt it. But i guess if Martin is, then he is(obviously on a shorter term).

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Hamhuis is not going to become a King. He is not signing with Nashville because he has a personal desire to return to Canada.

An intriguing defenseman that I haven't heard many talk about is the Coyotes' Michalek. I don't know what the market may be for him but I expect it will be affordable.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Hamhuis is not going to become a King. He is not signing with Nashville because he has a personal desire to return to Canada.

An intriguing defenseman that I haven't heard many talk about is the Coyotes' Michalek. I don't know what the market may be for him but I expect it will be affordable.
Teams that lose out on the big three (Martin, Hamhuis, Volchenkov) are going to get target Michalek. Depends what your definition of affordable, but I see him getting offers up to $4M.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Teams that lose out on the big three (Martin, Hamhuis, Volchenkov) are going to get target Michalek. Depends what your definition of affordable, but I see him getting offers up to $4M.
$3.2 to $3.5. I don't see 4.0 + unless it's the Rangers picking him up or it is a desperate move.

What do you think of Michalek's game?

Old
06-27-2010, 12:37 AM
redcard

Quote:
$3.2 to $3.5. I don't see 4.0 + unless it's the Rangers picking him up or it is a desperate move.

I'd love Michalek, hell of a shot blocker. But I'd expect Ottawa to make a play for him to unite him with his brother as well as Phoenix trying to keep him.

Doughty-Scuderi
Johnson-Michalek
Vionov/Hickey-Greene

That's a solid top 6

PK
Doughty-Scuderi
Michalek-Greene

PP
Doughty-Johnson
Forward-Hickey/Greene

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:46 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:

He's not very flashy, very much like Kim Johnsson or a Teppo Numminen who are known for having a good first pass (which the Kings need) and sound, positional defense. He's the type who draws many responsibilities and will be a very steady partner to play alongside Jack Johnson.

Looking at similar players and their salaries... you have Kuba earning $3.7M, Johnsson at $4.85M, Beauchemin at $3.8M, Spacek at $3.8M, Oduya at $3.5M... I'm convinced he'll get an offer that is in that range.

Besides the Kings, you have the Ducks, Bruins, Thrashers, Sabres, Devils, Senators, Penguins, Sharks, Blues, Hurricanes, Avalanche, Predators, Flyers, Rangers, and Capitals who will be bidding for free agent defensemen.

Old
06-27-2010, 12:47 AM
riznat

Any thoughts on Grebeshkov?

riznat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

Well just have to wait for July 1st and see what happens.

Quote:
I dont know about Gonchar. I think at Game 7 he just let Moen pass him which caused Moen to score.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
Any thoughts on Grebeshkov?
Zero thoughts.

Old
06-27-2010, 01:01 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I think the desired route for Lombardi would be to sign Kovalchuk and then trade Stoll and a prospect for a puck moving dman.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:07 AM
riznat

Quote:
I think the desired route for Lombardi would be to sign Kovalchuk and then trade Stoll and a prospect for a puck moving dman.
Who takes Stoll's spot? Schenn? I know Schenn will be a good player in the near future but I have yet to see anything from him at this stage that says he's ready for the NHL. Maybe its just me... im no scout but the few memorial cup and world junior games I saw him in left me expecting more.

Unless maybe you had someone else in mind?

riznat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:07 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyros View Post
Why would the ducks trade Blake and Lupul? they'd be much happier keeping that duo for 8 million rather than signing one elite player that carries a bit of a liability on defense which they don't need..
The bigger question is what GM would be stupid enough to trade for either one of those guys and their brutal contracts?

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:23 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Calgary is in need of a center and may Sarich, who has the exact same cap hit as Stoll. Sarich isn't much of a puck mover, he's a reliable stay-at-home defenseman with a Stanley Cup ring.

As we're all aware, Edmonton is trying to move Souray, and I'm sure Souray would waive his no-trade clause to come to LA, but I'm not sure he'd be a good fit due to his $5.4M contract that has another two years on it. And he is also injury prone. If he wasn't hurt so often he'd be worth it, but he's only had one healthy season in three years with Edmonton.

Bryan McCabe is also another player similar to Souray, but a bit more durable. He has one year left that pays him $5.75M, and Florida will likely look to shed that contract.

I bet Montreal would like to unload Hamrlik and his $5.5M contract that expires next summer. Not sure he's worth that salary.

The Rangers will try to get rid of Redden and/or Rozsival, but they're both overpaid, with Redden earning $6.5M until 2014 and Rozsival at $5M until 2012. Pass.

If Philadelphia is shopping Matt Carle and his $3.4M contract, I'm sure Lombardi would be interested. But would Philly be interested in Stoll? Probably not.

Toronto's attempt to move Kaberle is well documented, but I'm not sure if Stoll is going to be enough. The Kings will likely have to part with Moller and an additional prospect along with Stoll. Might be a risky move for a defenseman who is due to become unrestricted next summer. Then again, if Lombardi thinks the Kings are close enough for a legitimate run at the Cup, you make that move. Just as the Ducks did when they acquired Pronger.

Vancouver is stacked on defense, but they have four impending free agents on their blueline in Bieksa, Ehrhoff (who I'd love to have on the Kings), Salo, and Alberts. Bieksa seems like the type of player Lombardi would like, he's a total package on defense. The one drawback is that he gets hurt every other year. He has a cap hit of $3.75M. Could look good playing opposite of Jack Johnson.

Those are the only trade options I can see being possibly entertained by the Kings. Other than that, I think Lombardi will have to wait until the dust settles and see what is left in free agency.

Old
06-27-2010, 01:27 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Dean, as far as Kovalchuk goes:

Pay that man his money. Just do it. He's the perfect player, at the perfect time.

DO IT DEAN.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
The bigger question is what GM would be stupid enough to trade for either one of those guys and their brutal contracts?
trust me, there ARE takers....and they are brutal contracts, but even THEN the ducks are better off paying TWO people those salaries rather than one player. Not to mention their two main forwards(soon to be 3) are already getting paid over 5 million.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:33 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

I would rather Kovalchuk went to the Ducks.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:35 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Dean IS going to make a run for Kovie and I think he will be a King come July 1st-2nd. Shouldn't take very long.

Already Dean has twice in a span of a few months attempted to get a deal for Kovie. First, at the trading deadline, we know he was interested in a trade deal, and made an OFFER. Subsequently that wasn't good enough, and rightfully so given Kovies contract situation. Second, this offer for his rights.

Couldn't be any more clearer about what the Kings intentions are..Dean's going to be making a pitch for Kovie, and given Lieweke's indirect comments lately on this, AEG is 100% behind this move.

Gut feeling that Kovie wants to be a King....he's turned down an insane contract from Waddell of Atlanta. Most likely not going to play in the KHL and their insane offers as well. He hasn't signed an extension with the Devils yet. Also factor in the family, they live in Florida, where they like warm weather. Rumor has it that his wife wants to move to LA.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:46 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

LOVE Z. Michalek. Been pushing for him for months.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:03 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
LOVE Z. Michalek. Been pushing for him for months.
I agree. I have a feeling he's going to Ottawa though.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote