HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LeBrun: Kings tried to acquire Kovalchuk's rights.

Old
06-27-2010, 06:47 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

vCash: 500
I envy Dean and I don't envy Dean... if now isn't the right time to blow his lone big name - big money wad on the guy, it will be in a year or two max, and there are only so many elite players that are "DL guys" that will be available next year or the year after.

Kovalchuk is one of the few (and we're talking a handful in the league) top talent players that have that kind of personality and mentality Dean looks for. While it won't be the end of the world by any means if Kovalchuk signs elsewhere, there may not be another "DL guy" in a year or two that is a UFA - meaning a trade would be needed that would certainly put a huge dent in the cupboard.

I think Dean has always felt that a blockbuster trade would be needed to get the right guy at the right time, because free agency usually means overpaying for someone that may not be the best fit. In this case though, it appears Kovy is good enough fit for Dean to go after him now.

All that's left to find out is if Kovalchuk thinks the Kings are the best fit for him of the teams that'll be offering him a contract.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Anderson did in Atlanta.

There is a big difference between being motivated to win and motivated to produce individual numbers. He was driven by stats. Giving him the C was to motivate him to play more as a teammate and leader.
Not true, not at all. Kovalchuk didn't pull a Blake and tear off the 'C' from his sweater when negotiations didn't go his way, nor did he turn down the 'C' for added pressure like Markov or Kaberle who rejected the honor. He sucked it up and played through, never did he demand a trade, never did he complain about negotiations. He played with whatever he was given, never complained about his linemates and even helped a teammate in Rich Peverly earn a better contract.

You just have something against Kovalchuk because he is Russian and hasn't achieved much in the playoffs. Then again, Hossa didn't achieve much in the playoffs either until he jumped from Pittsburgh to Detroit to Chicago.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:57 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Re: the character thing... the fact that the Kings tried to acquire his rights should put to rest any questions people have about Kovalchuk's character. If he has character issues Lombardi would want nothing to do with him. DL has never wavered on a player's character being the #1 priority.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Then you won't blame him when it doesn't, right?

Luckily, there is a limit on how high Lombardi will go on the cap hit he is willing to take on a Kovalchuk deal.

The last sentence is drama to the max.
Dean has to work with the situation, and this situation now is that Kovy is the only player that improves this team that doesnt cost assets. Cap space is not an asset, its a mark in an accounting log.

Everything beyond Kovy changes the chemistry of the team by subtraction, and is a distant third choice.

I think DL is going to have to loosen purse strings he might otherwise not want to loosen to get his upgrade. Thats why I think many already see Lie-weekly's imprint on this push for Kovalchuk.

The fact that its confirmed we've been looking to get Kovalchuk already leads to the conclusion that DL has him targeted, and that he is locked and loaded as well.

There is NO ONE else who can improve this team in one fell swoop like Kovalchuk can. The money is available and by the players agreeing to extend the CBA into the following year (2011-2012) and to use the 5% increase which they have never failed to use, shows that cap space wont be the limitation many thought it would be.

Pay Kovy the money he is worth. IMPROVE the team and don't be stupid about saving cap space or AEG's bottom line. Its DL's reputation about big name signings that worries me. If we dont get Kovalchuk, our progress to the level of a Chicago suffers significantly. At this point, I view that as a fail, because players like Kovalchuk are not available every year, or even every five years. He's scored more goals since the lockout than anybody but AO. Pay him, Dean, and improve this team!

If he fails to do it, its going to be seen as just more BS about Kovy not fitting "the plan" and its going to be regretted for years to come. Marleau is signed and Sharp isn't leaving Chicago, so now who is it that really improves this team? Its Kovy or bust. Simple as that. Or are you going to take WHATEVER DL says to justify what he does or doesn't do as gospel? He's human, and he can be wrong, as we all have seen before. Not getting Kovalchuk, for even 8.5 to 9MM will be a mistake!

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 06-27-2010 at 07:16 PM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Re: the character thing... the fact that the Kings tried to acquire his rights should put to rest any questions people have about Kovalchuk's character. If he has character issues Lombardi would want nothing to do with him. DL has never wavered on a player's character being the #1 priority.
And the Devils have put that to rest. And their attempt to re-sign and bring Kovalchuk back says a lot. If there ever was an issue about his character, I highly doubt Lou Lamoriello would attempt to retain Kovalchuk.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
johnjm22

Lamoriello & Lemaire Comment On Kovalchuk

Lou Lamoriello:
"I've been pleased with him from day one. We knew there would be adjustments. The thing I've been most pleased with is he's been a great teammate and quality individual. The interaction, he's fit right in with the group. Those are always things that are unknowns until you have a player. The bottom line is winning. We don't want anything to get in the way of that."

Jacques Lemaire:
"He works hard, he wants to win, and maybe that's why I think maybe he's a better player than I thought he was. He wants to win so much. He enjoys the game, which I didn't see that as much as when he wasn't around," the veteran coach and Hall of Fame player said. "He's a real player. He's a guy that he wants to improve. He wants to do well. He wants the team to win. He's not selfish; those things that you don't know when the guy's away. And then when they come in, sometimes you do get some surprises, could be negative or positive. This one was positive, big time."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,245920

I'm sure this still wont be enough to convince some people. The alleged character issues are completely fabricated. They don't exist.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Lou Lamoriello:
"I've been pleased with him from day one. We knew there would be adjustments. The thing I've been most pleased with is he's been a great teammate and quality individual. The interaction, he's fit right in with the group. Those are always things that are unknowns until you have a player. The bottom line is winning. We don't want anything to get in the way of that."

Jacques Lemaire:
"He works hard, he wants to win, and maybe that's why I think maybe he's a better player than I thought he was. He wants to win so much. He enjoys the game, which I didn't see that as much as when he wasn't around," the veteran coach and Hall of Fame player said. "He's a real player. He's a guy that he wants to improve. He wants to do well. He wants the team to win. He's not selfish; those things that you don't know when the guy's away. And then when they come in, sometimes you do get some surprises, could be negative or positive. This one was positive, big time."

I'm sure this still wont be enough to convince some people. The alleged character issues are completely fabricated. They don't exist.
man i really want this guy to get signed. 7 years of Kopi Kovy would be very fun to watch

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:49 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

I'm so excited for Thursday. Seriously, if we sign Kovalchuk, I am leaving work early and going and getting drunk while watching hours worth of highlights of him on YouTube and NHL.com.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:55 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
I'm so excited for Thursday. Seriously, if we sign Kovalchuk, I am leaving work early and going and getting drunk while watching hours worth of highlights of him on YouTube and NHL.com.
If we get Kovie, I hope we all run down to LA Live and celebrate.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:14 AM
DiehardKingsFan

I hope we get Kovalchuk, my biggest concern is that he may not dig how LA doesn't have a big hockey market. Turn on the local sports channel or radio station and hockey will hardly be mentioned. Maybe he wants to go to a hockey town.

DiehardKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:24 AM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardKingsFan View Post
I hope we get Kovalchuk, my biggest concern is that he may not dig how LA doesn't have a big hockey market. Turn on the local sports channel or radio station and hockey will hardly be mentioned. Maybe he wants to go to a hockey town.
Actually Kovy has said previously that he doesn't want to play for any Canadien market and would like to play for a contender that plays in a low-key hockey market, everything is in our favor and everything sounds like a perfect match with us I just hope that it happens.

Mike The Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:25 AM
Mike The Franchise

Read the paragraph where the Ducks fan is quoted sounds like the Ducks won't be in the races for Kovy
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Matth...ther/125/29066

Old
06-28-2010, 04:27 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiehardKingsFan View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. The Wife will tell him to go to LA.

Quote:
Los Angeles also makes sense as Ilya’s wife, Nicola, who is a professional dancer, would certainly consider LA as a place of choice to pursue her professional career.
http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/slasher98/17818/

Old
06-28-2010, 04:44 AM
Mike The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. The Wife will tell him to go to LA.

http://hockeyindependent.com/blog/slasher98/17818/
Why did I always think that Kovy's wife was a russian pop singer?

Old
06-28-2010, 05:04 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalchuk89 View Post
Why did I always think that Kovy's wife was a russian pop singer?
Yeah, She sang with some group named Mirage?

Anyway...can someone please photoshop this pic...put some purple on the crowns.

Edit: Second request, someone put Dean Lombardi's head on the Priests body and put cash in his hand, giving it to Kovie's wife.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_spor...RdWrADDtiCR0fo

Old
06-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...uk#add-comment

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post

There is NO ONE else who can improve this team in one fell swoop like Kovalchuk can. The money is available ....
2 great points.

The time is now.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Kingler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Lou Lamoriello:

Jacques Lemaire:

Yet some would prefer Hamhuis. And believe that a guy who just demanded top pairing minute (instead of earring it) from the Flyers without playing a single game to have better character.

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post

This!!!!

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:41 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Guys, its probably gonna take something like 12 years at 100 million or maybe a tad more. The guy is worth it, and this would be gigantic for the franchise.

I'm putting myself in a position for big disappointment, but I have a feeling July 1st is going to be different this year.

Old
06-28-2010, 02:11 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
Guys, its probably gonna take something like 12 years at 100 million or maybe a tad more. The guy is worth it, and this would be gigantic for the franchise.

I'm putting myself in a position for big disappointment, but I have a feeling July 1st is going to be different this year.
Going to be a seven year deal. The most years the Kings can offer.

Old
06-28-2010, 02:13 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Going to be a seven year deal. The most years the Kings can offer.
Is this based on that whole union thing that was put to rest a while back? or has DL said this?

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:22 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Is this based on that whole union thing that was put to rest a while back? or has DL said this?
I'm not a labor expert, so I don't know the specifics but I do know there is a limit to how many years a player can sign here in the state of California. I believe it's some entertainment law of some sort.

Dean knows all about contracts and labor laws. In fact he has a law degree in Labor law.

Old
06-28-2010, 02:29 PM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
I'm not a labor expert, so I don't know the specifics but I do know there is a limit to how many years a player can sign here in the state of California. I believe it's some entertainment law of some sort.

Dean knows all about contracts and labor laws. In fact he has a law degree in Labor law.
Dean offered the same contract to Hossa that he accepted from Chicago, and that was 10-12 years wasn't it??

Old
06-28-2010, 02:30 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
Dean offered the same contract to Hossa that he accepted from Chicago, and that was 10-12 years wasn't it??
If it was the same, then yes, it was 12 years.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote