HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Lines: After Draft Edition

Old
06-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Potential Lines: After Draft Edition

Jokinen - Staal - Ruutu
Tlusty - Sutter - Cole
Boychuk - Nash - Bowman/Samson/Skinner
Kostopoulos - Brind'Amour - Dwyer

Pitkanen - Gleason
McBain - Sanguinetti
Babchuk - Carson

Ward
Peters

What do you guys think? Is this anywhere near realistic?

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:10 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
i'll wait with the projections until we have better information on Rod and Sergei's future.

Vagrant,

Do you think that Nash is closer to NHL in his development than Dalpe to center 3rd line next season?

I don't see neither Bowman, nor Skinner in NHL next season. We'll probably also keep Samson and his two way contract in AHL at the beginning of the season.

and what did you do to Hobbit Larose?

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Skinner is 2 years away min

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:13 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Nash won't be in the NHL this soon. He'll be in the AHL with Dalpe and co if we can even get him to leave Cornell.

call me crazy on this one but I think we could see
Jokinen - Staal - Ruutu
Tlusty - Sutter - Cole
Sammy - Boychuk - LaRose
Osala - Dwyer - Kostopoulos

Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Babchuk
Carson - Sanguinetti
Harrison

Ward
Peters

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

You're also missing LaRose...

I think Sammy and Brindy aren't on the team

I think Dalpe and Nash have a strong chance to make the team with one on 4th line... I'd like to see Cole gone too, but no way we would be lucky enough to clear Cole, Sammy, and Brindy

I guess my ideal situation, with what we have to work with, would be

Jokinen - Staal - Ruutu
Tlusty - Sutter - Boychuk
Osala - Nash - LaRose
Kostopoulos - Dalpe - Dwyer

Pitkanen - McBain
Timmy - Sanguinetti
Babchuk - Carson

Not sure that team wins, but it gets the youth some much needed experience...

Old
06-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
i'll wait with the projections until we have better information on Rod and Sergei's future.

Vagrant,

Do you think that Nash is closer to NHL in his development than Dalpe to center 3rd line next season?

I don't see neither Bowman, nor Skinner in NHL next season. We'll probably also keep Samson and his two way contract in AHL at the beginning of the season.

and what did you do to Hobbit Larose?
I totally lost track of Larose. I think he'll go in the Bowman/Samson/Skinner spot come to think of it.

As far as Nash goes, I think more highly of him than most do apparently because after 3 seasons at Cornell, he's a pretty complete player. The organization does not want him to go back to school, that much is for certain. If they can sway him by offering him an almost secure position on the roster provided he brings the heat, then it may be a hard situation to turn down.

I personally think he's ready to make the jump. Much more than Dalpe at the current stage. The reason I think that is because he projects to be a Matt Cullen type of player in the immediate future. Skilled playmaker, deft stickhandler, and an awareness of the defensive zone. The knock has been that his frame hasn't filled out ideally.

I really think he has the chops to be a 3rd line center at this level as soon as next year. If not, then only half a season of AHL time. I think last year was malaise after not wanting to sign with Edmonton, but the natural skill is evident.

Vagrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
If Samsonov and/or Brindy are gone, I think this is somewhat realistic to begin the season.

Jokinen - Staal - Cole
Tlusty/Boychuk - Sutter - Ruutu
Boychuk/Tlusty - Dalpe/Dwyer/Nash - LaRose
Kostopoulos - Dodge/Dwyer - Osala/Dodge

Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Sanguinetti
Carson - Babchuk
Harrison

Ward
Peters

The lines are a bit of a mismatch, but I see these guys as possible starters come the season opener.

Staal, Sutter, Ruutu, Jokinen, Cole, Boychuk, Tlusty, LaRose, Kostopoulos, with some sort of combination of Dwyer/Nash/Dodge/Osala/Dalpe on the roster.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-26-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Guerzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Ugh, nvm, I don't like my line up either... sheesh... We really need a top 6 winger on this team for next year... and 3/4 Center...

Old
06-26-2010, 09:27 PM
MD
#woofwoof

does anyone know when hf comes out with prospect ratings for these new guys? i dont know a whole lot about some of them

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:35 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanes1210 View Post
does anyone know when hf comes out with prospect ratings for these new guys? i dont know a whole lot about some of them
It generally takes a few days for the guys that aren't overly well known to get their rankings.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
McBain - Sanguinetti

What do you guys think? Is this anywhere near realistic?
I think that spells "top five pick".

Yikes

Cardiac_Canes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Chrispy

The official website has Rutherford's press conference as an MP3 (sounds like it was before the end of the draft as they discuss not drafting a goaltender.)

He talks about the depth that Sanguinetti adds, but also explicitly says this should not affect Picard's status with the club. Rutherford also talked about Picard and Carson being qualified on 2-way contracts, which surprises me as I think both are subject to waivers now which makes one-way or two-way less relevant.

The comment is also odd because Picard was on a one-way contract the past two years.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 09:59 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Rutherford also talked about Picard and Carson being qualified on 2-way contracts, which surprises me as I think both are subject to waivers now which makes one-way or two-way less relevant.

It's the least they have to do to retain their rights, and it makes no sense to do any more than what is least necessary.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:01 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
If Samsonov and/or Brindy are gone, I think this is somewhat realistic to begin the season.

Jokinen - Staal - Cole
Tlusty/Boychuk - Sutter - Ruutu
Boychuk/Tlusty - Dalpe/Dwyer/Nash - LaRose
Kostopoulos - Dodge/Dwyer - Osala/Dodge

Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Sanguinetti
Carson - Babchuk
Harrison

Ward
Peters

The lines are a bit of a mismatch, but I see these guys as possible starters come the season opener.

Staal, Sutter, Ruutu, Jokinen, Cole, Boychuk, Tlusty, LaRose, Kostopoulos, with some sort of combination of Dwyer/Nash/Dodge/Osala/Dalpe on the roster.
This is what I'm thinking it will most likely be. A lot depends on Samsonov and Brindy, I really wish he would just retire. I'm at the point now where I would like to avoid any buyout so we can start as fresh as possible in 11/12. We would have Brindy, Samsonov, Cole and LaRose completely off the books. Having this extra space would also help with Pitkanen, as he'll be a UFA after this year. We might have more potential for some deadline deals too. Most importantly, it would allow us to be more patient with our guys this season, giving them ample time in Charlotte to adjust to the pro-game, and a nice NHL tryout post-deadline if we can deal some vets. I would like to do the same thing with Dalpe as we did with McBain, I think we will as management is well aware of how that helped Staal and Sutter. Also, with Skinner I think we should allow him the 10 games at the start of the year, like we did Boychuk in his draft year, and then send him back to Kitchener. Give him a taste of the pro game, and we could then bring him up to Charlotte at the end of the year. As much as I want to see him play, I really hope we don't rush him up here.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:26 PM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY4N View Post
I'm at the point now where I would like to avoid any buyout so we can start as fresh as possible in 11/12. We would have Brindy, Samsonov, Cole and LaRose completely off the books. Having this extra space would also help with Pitkanen, as he'll be a UFA after this year. We might have more potential for some deadline deals too. Most importantly, it would allow us to be more patient with our guys this season, giving them ample time in Charlotte to adjust to the pro-game, and a nice NHL tryout post-deadline if we can deal some vets.
I'm with you on this one. It's a lot more fun to think of 3 or 4 spots being open, but I prefer they just suck it up this last year of the aged veterans' contracts and count on the AHL kids getting their chances with that one spot on the wing and the more-than-occasional injury (you know this team will have plenty of injuries).

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

Jokinen-Staal-Boychuk
Tlusty-Sutter-Ruutu
Cole-Nash?-LaRose
Kostopolous-Brindy-Dwyer

1st Call ups: Samson, Dalpe, Bowman, Matsumoto

Pitkanen-Babchuk
Gleason-McBain
Caron-Sanguinetti
Harrison

1st Call ups: Borer, Rodney

Ward
Peters

This is hoping that Samsonov will be gone, and I don't think Brindy will be gone. I dont really think Nash will be our 3rd line C, but I dont know who else to put there. I am also thinking that Samson will being the season in the AHL, and eventually earn a spot with the team much like Carson/Dwyer did last year. Also correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember Pitkanen and Babchuk playing pretty well together towards the end of 08-09, so that's why I have them as the top pairing.

Quacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I don't want Brindamour going anywhere until someone else on the team figures out how to win a faceoff. Staal's far too gone to worry about, so hopefully one of Sutter/Nash/Dalpe/whathaveyou will be able to pick up some tips from Rod before he retires.

Defensively, we've got a lot of options, mostly thanks to the versatility of Pitkanen. We know he can put up a lot of points, at some sacrifice to his defensive play. So pairing him with Gleason would be the obvious choice. But he's also proven that he can turn off his roaming tendencies and play much better defensively if he's paired with an offensive-minded D (ala Babs). So him with Babs, Sags or McBain would work as well.

I'm not even going to mess with the forward group, as I've got a feeling it's not going to work out nearly as well as one would hope.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:05 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

I think we will start with something like this

Jokinen- Staal- Larose
Tlusty- Sutter- Cole
Boychuk/ Samsonov- Nash/ Matsumoto/ Dalpe/ Ruutu- Ruutu
Osala/ Brind'amour- Dwyer/ Brind'amour- Kostopoulos

Pitkanen- McBain
Gleason- Sanguinetti
Picard- Carson

Ward

I know it's not that impressive but i think this season can be good jump for kids like Boychuk, Tlusty, Sangs and McBain. Honestly, i prefer to see our team to sucks because most of the kids who plays as a regular doesn't have expierence than to sux with useless veterans. This is our way - with kids. Welcome to big club, McBain, Sangs, Boychuk, Tlusty. They're 100 % lock for make the team. Not so sure for Matsumoto, Dalpe, Nash, Skinner, Bowman and Samson, maybe even Terry.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:21 AM
snakepliskin

my .02

jokinen/staal/ruutu
boychuk/cullen/cole
tlusty/sutter/larose
osala/brindy/kostopoulas

gleason-pothier
pitkanen-babchuk
mcbain-sanguinetti

ward-peters
pretty sure we will bring back cullen ant less sure about pothier.
kids will get plenty of icetime with the multiple injuries that is our jinx and will dominate the roster after the trade deadline as we slide toward a top 4 pick next year.

i think we may be 2 years from the playoffs and my lowered goals are that we finish ahead of the leafs, osala -sanguinetti -boychuk-dalpe-skinner position themselves as concrete roster players for us in 2011.

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:57 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Snake... Pothier is not coming back

Old
06-27-2010, 09:07 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Snake... Pothier is not coming back
or Cullen.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:27 AM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

If there isn't any movement with Brind'Amour and Samsonov, I think the line-up will look like this:

Jokinen / Staal / Ruutu
Tlusty / Sutter / Cole
Boychuk / Nash / LaRose
Samsonov / Brind'Amour / Kostopoulos
-Dwyer

Pitkanen / McBain
Gleason / Sanguinetti
Carson / Babchuk
-Harrison

Ward
Peters

If Brind'Amour and Samsonov aren't retained, I think the fourth-line would look like this:

Osala / Dwyer / Kostopoulos
-Matsumoto

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:02 AM
StormCast

It seems to me that Sanguinetti's acquisition would probably hasten Babchuk's departure via a trade (either sign-and-trade or rights traded) if he shows he's NHL ready. He is another finesse offensive-D who can move the puck and like it or not, Canes management wants Harrison in the top 6 to add another physical presence. If you have Sanguinetti, Pitkanen, McBain, Babchuk and Carson along with Gleason, it's way too unbalanced on the finesse side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Skinner is 2 years away min
Based on what? I think he's a longshot this year though a strong camp will get him on the roster. Management will want him on the team as a way to market but from a development standpoint, he is probably a year away. I don't agree at all that his a min of 2 years away.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Jokinen - Staal - Ruutu
Tlusty - Sutter - Cole
Boychuk - Brind'Amour - LaRose
Kostopoulos - Dwyer - Osala

Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Babchuk
Sanguinetti - Carson
-Harrison

Ward
Peters

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:46 AM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
It seems to me that Sanguinetti's acquisition would probably hasten Babchuk's departure via a trade (either sign-and-trade or rights traded) if he shows he's NHL ready. He is another finesse offensive-D who can move the puck and like it or not, Canes management wants Harrison in the top 6 to add another physical presence. If you have Sanguinetti, Pitkanen, McBain, Babchuk and Carson along with Gleason, it's way too unbalanced on the finesse side.
Agreed on Babchuk. Sanguinetti has won the hardest shot and fastest skater competitions in the AHL for the past two years. He sounds like a Babchuk who can actually skate and carry the puck well. We'll see what happens between Sangs and Babs this year. If Sangs has a good year I would have to think that it would be hard for Babchuk to have a future here with McBain and Pitkanen on the roster too.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote