HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Potential Lines: After Draft Edition

Old
06-28-2010, 10:52 AM
totalkev

vCash: 500
I'm pretty sure we're going to see Skinner for nine games at the NHL level next season. I'm sure the Canes are still high on Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, et al., but I also think they see Skinner as an elite goal-scorer, that the others may or may not be. I can see him getting some power-play time right away and to see what he can do.

Of course, this all depends on him showing anything at camp. I'm actually looking forward to camp this year.

Not as much as I'm looking forward to news the next two days about shedding Brindy and/or Samsonov. But I'm not holding my breath on that part.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I'm pretty sure we're going to see Skinner for nine games at the NHL level next season. I'm sure the Canes are still high on Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, et al., but I also think they see Skinner as an elite goal-scorer, that the others may or may not be. I can see him getting some power-play time right away and to see what he can do.

Of course, this all depends on him showing anything at camp. I'm actually looking forward to camp this year.

Not as much as I'm looking forward to news the next two days about shedding Brindy and/or Samsonov. But I'm not holding my breath on that part.
See I don't think there is ANY way he plays a game this year... Boychuk, Samson, Osala, Bowman, Dodge, Dwyer, Dalpe, Nash are all ahead of him to see time this year... I just can't see how in the world people think he's going to get a real look this year... To be honest, I'd rather him stay at the Juniors all year, then up the A if that is allowed at the end of the year and then have a chance to make the roster in 11-12, although I don't think he will...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:39 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
See I don't think there is ANY way he plays a game this year... Boychuk, Samson, Osala, Bowman, Dodge, Dwyer, Dalpe, Nash are all ahead of him to see time this year... I just can't see how in the world people think he's going to get a real look this year... To be honest, I'd rather him stay at the Juniors all year, then up the A if that is allowed at the end of the year and then have a chance to make the roster in 11-12, although I don't think he will...
It isn't a meritocracy when it comes to a top 10 pick especially in a transitional year when you need to work creatively to sell more seats. Nobody is going to specifically come to see fringe NHLers like Samson, Osala, Dodge and Dwyer but they will come to see how much of a hot shot Skinner really can be at the NHL level.

Eric Staal was nowhere near ready in his rookie year, constantly being manhandled in the corners and he wore down but still was on the roster all year long. I'm not comparing the two players or suggesting Skinner makes the team (I still think it will be the season after the upcoming one) but there is a similarity in needing to infuse excitement after a poor year with a top flight 1st rounder.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Only way that happens is if we are in the bottom of the standings... Winning sells seats...

Old
06-28-2010, 01:46 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Only way that happens is if we are in the bottom of the standings... Winning sells seats...
Of course winning sells tickets. But the point is that with a bargain basement budget, a 49% stake in the team for sale, tons of young kids and a top 10 pick whose goal-scoring will generate interest, there is a good likelihood he's on the roster at some point early in the season. Especially if he has a strong pre-season as Staal did.

To think he won't see any time and that he is down the pecking order of prospects behind the Osalas and Dodges, in my opinion, ignores the dynamics at play.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

If we dont sign Whitney, and Skinner has a really good camp, preseason, and first 6 or 7 games, I fully expect to see him stay on the team. If he shows he belongs, keep the kid here. As someone already said, Staal looked way out of place his rookie season, but he was still up the whole season i believe. why cant skinner do the same, especially with our move to the kids?

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:42 PM
WWAD

I don't think we'll see Skinner at all this year. With Staal, the front office and management all were pretty adamant about Staal getting a legitimate shot at making the team. With Skinner, so far we've heard a lot of the usual lip service "everyone will get a shot, yadda, yadda, yadda...," but I don't detect much enthusiasm when they say it.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised, but I wouldn't put my money on Skinner playing at all next season.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:44 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Why, exactly? Seniority?

If Skinner is better than Boychuk, then Skinner should get a look. It's comments like yours that have gotten JR into this mess. The best players play, I don't care if they're 18, 28, 38 or 50. I don't care if they won a Cup in 2006. To write of Skinner's chances of making the team because we have other guys who were here first is just not the kind of thinking we need right now.

JR has said repeatedly that the guy he wanted had a chance to play in the NHL this season, and the way the draft fell, I am pretty certain he was including Skinner in that group. At least I'm pretty sure JR isn't thinking the way you are.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:15 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
I don't think we'll see Skinner at all this year. With Staal, the front office and management all were pretty adamant about Staal getting a legitimate shot at making the team. With Skinner, so far we've heard a lot of the usual lip service "everyone will get a shot, yadda, yadda, yadda...," but I don't detect much enthusiasm when they say it.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised, but I wouldn't put my money on Skinner playing at all next season.
IIRC, Staal scored like 7 or 8 goals that preseason. Without those goals, I wonder if he stays the whole year.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:43 PM
caniac247

Now that it doesn't appear that Brindy and/or Sammy are being bought out, I'll take a stab and play this game:

Jokinen-Staal-Ruutu
Tlusty/Boychuk-Sutter-Cole
Boychuk/Tlusty-Nash/Dwyer-LaRose
Kostopoulos-Brindy-Samsonov

*I see Tlusty/Boychuk going back and forth between the 2nd and 3rd lines to see which one can grab the chemistry with Sutter.
*If Nash leaves Cornell then I see him as the idel 3rd line center and Dwyer becomes the 13th forward. If Nash doesn't leave, then that's Dwyer's spot.

Pitkanen-McBain
Gleason-Sanguinetti
Babchuk-Harrison (I will have to close my eyes when this pairing takes the ice)

Ward
Peters

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Quacktastic
Whoopsie!

If Nash does come to play 3rd line Center, I don't think Dwyer will be the 13th forward for long, as he can probably outplay Brindy and Samsonov at this point. Or maybe we could get somewhat of a rotation going, whenever someone starts to get lazy we scratch them for a few games and let the guy who was scratched try to come in and prove he should stay in the lineup.

Quacktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

There's no way I want Skinner up here. For all the complaints about rushing prospects, there's preaching of exactly that for Skinner. His size is the obvious issue, but one that can be remedied if he's given more time.

Let him get his 10 games, his advice from Friesen, and then he'll get his shot next year or the year after.

Keeping him up now has all the makings of shooting his development to hell.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:21 PM
bleedgreen

i saw jr say on draft day skinner will get every chance to make the team, they said all along "their guy" was a possibility to stay. he wants skinner to make it, so the kid will have to really be weak to not make it. he looks like he is, so there's a chance, but i think its 50/50 right now about skinner. the question becomes whose spot does he take? without moving another vet that would look to be the boychuk/bowman spot created by no whitney.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:29 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
my guess as to the opening night lineup as of right now (no Sammy or Brindy buyouts):

Jussi Jokinen Eric Staal Tuomo Ruutu
Jiri Tlusty Brandon Sutter Jeff Skinner
Chad LaRose Jon Matsumoto Erik Cole
Sergei Samsonov Rod Brind'Amour Tom Kostopoulos
extra: Pat Dwyer  
Joni Pitkanen Jamie McBain 
Tim Gleason Anton Babchuk 
Brett Carson Bobby Sanguinetti 
extra: Jay Harrison  
Cam Ward  
Justin Peters  

yes, I honestly do believe that Carson will end up signing here this offseason. He'll take offers the first day or two of UFA, but won't get another one-way offer. JR will keep his one-way but non-qualifying offer on the table, Carson takes it.

Last edited by DaveG: 06-29-2010 at 05:09 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Chrispy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
my guess as to the opening night lineup as of right now (no Sammy or Brindy buyouts):

Jussi Jokinen Eric Staal Tuomo Ruutu
Jiri Tlusty Brandon Sutter Riley Skinner
Chad LaRose Jon Matsumoto Erik Cole
Sergei Samsonov Rod Brind'Amour Tom Kostopoulos
extra: Pat Dwyer  
Joni Pitkanen Jamie McBain 
Tim Gleason Anton Babchuk 
Brett Carson Bobby Sanguinetti 
extra: Jay Harrison  
Cam Ward  
Justin Peters  

yes, I honestly do believe that Carson will end up signing here this offseason. He'll take offers the first day or two of UFA, but won't get another one-way offer. JR will keep his one-way but non-qualifying offer on the table, Carson takes it.
He may have been cut already by the Giants, but good to see Wake Forest's QB has a future.

But, um...can we avoid a line with Tlusty AND Riley Skinner?

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Why, exactly? Seniority?

If Skinner is better than Boychuk, then Skinner should get a look. It's comments like yours that have gotten JR into this mess. The best players play, I don't care if they're 18, 28, 38 or 50. I don't care if they won a Cup in 2006. To write of Skinner's chances of making the team because we have other guys who were here first is just not the kind of thinking we need right now.

JR has said repeatedly that the guy he wanted had a chance to play in the NHL this season, and the way the draft fell, I am pretty certain he was including Skinner in that group. At least I'm pretty sure JR isn't thinking the way you are.
Absoultely untrue... Skinner has NEVER been said to be in the group that was ready... We all seem agree that was Nino only...

The reason the others get up in front of him is so that we know what we have with them, we need to know the future of each of the guys in front of him soon... You are way off base on your thinking

Old
06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 1832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
He may have been cut already by the Giants, but good to see Wake Forest's QB has a future.

But, um...can we avoid a line with Tlusty AND Riley Skinner?
this one is going to get just as bad for me as the Jeff Hamilton - Josh Hamilton thing did a couple years back

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:21 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Absoultely untrue... Skinner has NEVER been said to be in the group that was ready... We all seem agree that was Nino only...

The reason the others get up in front of him is so that we know what we have with them, we need to know the future of each of the guys in front of him soon... You are way off base on your thinking
Says people on message boards. However, JR and the staff think he can be NHL ready and he'll get every shot to make the team next year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rutherford
”I don’t view him as a small guy,” said Rutherford. “I think people look at his height and he’s not six feet so people say he’s small, but he’s 190 pounds and he’s got the hockey build. He’s physically fit and has the ability to play in the NHL next season, but now you have to see how he handles the pace of the game and those kinds of things. We’ll give him a chance to make our team, but he’s going to have to earn that at training camp.”
He may not make the team out of camp, which I don't think he does, but don't think for a minute that if he does impress he wouldn't jump over one of the other prospects.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Jerry Lundegaard
Sutter for Captain

lets not forget that these kids are gonna train hard in the off season. they see their spot on an NHL roster as a clear reality and are gonna do what they can to get there.

Jerry Lundegaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:06 PM
WWAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
Says people on message boards. .
Says every scouting report about him pre-draft.

JR's lip service about him getting a chance with the club next year is the same thing every GM says about every prospect every single year.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:10 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
Says every scouting report about him pre-draft.

JR's lip service about him getting a chance with the club next year is the same thing every GM says about every prospect every single year.
Look, I'm not saying he's NHL ready, I've never watched the kid play. But if he impresses more than say Boychuk in camp and the ORG thinks he's ready, then don't be surprised when he gets his 10 games with the big club and Boychuk goes to Charlotte.

Just because we have guys named Boychuk, Bowman, Dalpe, etc, if Skinner performs better than them in camp, the ORG is going to keep him over those seniority or not.

Old
06-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

And what makes you believe that? Not saying it's not going to happen, just that there's very little historical that says they won't go with seniority.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
NobodysFaulkButMine
You jelly, Staal?

Send a message via AIM to NobodysFaulkButMine
Umm, to be fair, there's probably only 3-4 people here that have actually watched him play live. That's pretty evident based on the absurd reactions when he was picked. He could make our team next year, no doubt about it. Although ideally he should play another year in the juniors and go for an OHL championship push. I think he will really show well come the Traverse City tourny as well as our pre-season and make a strong push for a roster spot.

And honestly, if he makes the team with all of the stiff competition around him, he deserves it. He'll be going against some tough competition for that spot anyways, so regardless of what happens it'll be the right choice. It's way too early to be making that call. If he hits the gym hard this summer, and lengthens his stride, he could very well blow us away come September.

NobodysFaulkButMine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:04 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
It generally takes a few days for the guys that aren't overly well known to get their rankings.
still isnt up yet

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:06 PM
snakepliskin

i have no idea if he can make the team--but i think returning to jrs is a mistake-been ther done that and no way to go but down there-i hope the kid makes the team and our other prospects come in with fire in their arse to get a spot-really want to see osala wreaking havoc out there-should be a heckuva camp

snakepliskin is offline   Reply With Quote