Old
06-26-2010, 09:52 PM
BobbyRyan9
Let's Go Bruins!

vCash: 500
NHL Draft Review

A total of 22 players were taken in the NHL Entry Draft:

Round 1

13 - Phoenix - Brandon Gormley (Moncton)

Round 2

55 - Columbus - Petr Straka (Rimouski)

Round 3

65 - New York Islanders - Kirill Kabanov (Moncton)
68 - Buffalo - Jérôme Gauthier-Leduc (Rouyn-Noranda)
71 - Colorado - Michaël Bournival (Shawinigan)
72 - Tampa Bay - Adam Janosi (Gatineau)
76 - Ottawa - Jakub Culek (Rimouski)
81 - Detroit - Louis-Marc Aubry (Montreal)
86 - Washington - Stanislav Galiev (Saint John)
89 - Philadelphia - Michael Chaput (Lewiston)

Round 4

91 - Edmonton - Jérémie Blain (Acadie-Bathurst)
102 - Columbus - Mathieu Corbeil-Thériault (Halifax)
117 - Montreal - Morgan Ellis (Cape Breton)
119 - Phoenix - Tye McGinn (Gatineau)

Round 5

138 - Phoenix - Louis Domingue (Québec)
145 - Vancouver - Adam Polasek (P.E.I.)

Round 6

163 - San Jose - Konrad Abeltshauser (Halifax)
164 - St. Louis - Stephen MacAulay (Saint John)
173 - Buffalo - Cédrick Hanley (Val-d’Or)
174 - New Jersey - Maxime Clermont (Gatineau)
176 - Washington - Samuel Carrier (Lewiston)

Round 7

205 - Vancouver - Sawyer Hannay (Halifax)

I'm sure many of us are surprised that Gormley slipped to 13th in the draft, as many expected him to be gone by the sixth selection. At the same time, it seemed like many teams after the third pick wanted to stock up on high end forward prospects. The exception was of course the Ranger's questionable pick at number 10, taking McIlrath. I think Phoenix landed a safe, but generous pick with Gormley at 13. He has very little bust potential with his magnificent skating ability, errorless decision-making and fantastic vision to carry the puck up the ice. While his cieling might not be as high as some of the other prospects taken in the top 15, he is going to be a very solid NHL defensemen at the very least.

Straka seemed to be making a lot of buzz before going into the draft and was picked in the later half of the second round. What comes as a surprise is seeing Galiev picked after several other players from the league, finally being picked up by Washington at the end of the third round. Many draft rankings had him as high as 22nd in the draft and as low as the middle of the second round. To see him drop this far is a bit of a head scratcher. I think Washington is going to be very pleased with this late third round selection. Chaput was also selected right after Galiev, which is a definitely towards the higher end of where people thought he might have been selected.

I think Vancouver taking Polasek in the fifth round was a very smart move by them. Mike Gillis targeted defensemen going into the draft and I think they did a good job picking him out this late in the draft. He seems like the player that would fit well into their system at some point in the future and seems to have a pretty high ceiling.

BobbyRyan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:25 AM
montrealhp

I realize he's a '91 born player and only played one season of major junior, but I was shocked to see Trevor Parkes (Montreal Juniors) get passed on in the NHL draft. Especially when a player like Cedrick Hanley get drafted in the 6th round......terrible.

Parkes was Montreal's best player during the playoffs after a strong rookie season. The guy has a great shot and fancy hands, plus he works like a dog. The only weakness I've noticed in Parkes is his skating. However, while he may not be the prettiest skater, he is an effective skater and I wouldn't say it hurts his game one bit.

montrealhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 06:54 PM
DTUCKER16

What i can't believe is that Kabanov (#65) went ahead of Galiev (# 86). this was a player that left his team at Christmas ...went home ... and then was sent home from the Russian Jr team. Hard to believe saw them both play and well Washington got the better player by far.

DTUCKER16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 08:57 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTUCKER16 View Post
What i can't believe is that Kabanov (#65) went ahead of Galiev (# 86). this was a player that left his team at Christmas ...went home ... and then was sent home from the Russian Jr team. Hard to believe saw them both play and well Washington got the better player by far.
The Isles took a risk, but Kabanov is probably top-5 in this draft in pure skill. I personally wouldn't have taken him that high, but he is the type of player who could have a huge payoff.

The thing, to me that deserves attention is that only two QMJHL players were taken in the first two rounds. That is just horrible. And to make it worse, only one of those players is actually from this region.
Not that I have anything against European players, but doesn't it say a lot about the Q region when we have just one player picked in the top 60?
Just look at the draft list: Top 3 - OHL, the next 3 - WHL.

bigdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2010, 11:27 AM
montrealhp

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealhp View Post
I realize he's a '91 born player and only played one season of major junior, but I was shocked to see Trevor Parkes (Montreal Juniors) get passed on in the NHL draft.
Update: The Detroit Red Wings have invited Parkes to their camp this summer:

http://montrealjuniors.blogspot.com/

Last edited by montrealhp: 07-05-2010 at 12:34 PM.
montrealhp is offline   Reply With Quote