HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

How Rod Brind'Amour & Shayne Corson became David Backes.

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2004, 09:22 PM
rev

vCash: 500
How Rod Brind'Amour & Shayne Corson became David Backes.

I posted this on STLtoday as well...

11-Jun-88: Rod Brind'Amour drafted by the St. Louis Blues in the 1st round (9th overall) in 1988.

22-Sep-91: St. Louis Blues traded Dan Quinn and Rod Brind'Amour to the Philadelphia Flyers for Ron Sutter and Murray Baron.

28-Jul-95: Shayne Corson signed as a free agent by the St. Louis Blues.

29-Oct-96: St. Louis Blues traded Murray Baron, Shayne Corson and 5th round selection (Gennady Razin) in 1997 to the Montreal Canadiens for Pierre Turgeon, Rory Fitzpatrick and Craig Conroy.

13-Mar-01:Calgary Flames traded Cory Stillman to the St. Louis Blues for Craig Conroy and a 7th round selection (David Moss) in 2001.

01-Jul-01: Pierre Turgeon signed as an unrestricted free agent by the Dallas Stars.

21-Jun-03: St. Louis Blues traded Cory Stillman to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a 2nd round selection (David Backes) in 2003.

Maybe I am the only one who finds this kind of thing interesting.. but its nice to see that the blues were able to get a good 15 years of production out of all these players and STILL have a potential 20 year old power forward in the organization.

Old
05-20-2004, 09:38 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev
I posted this on STLtoday as well...

Maybe I am the only one who finds this kind of thing interesting.. but its nice to see that the blues were able to get a good 15 years of production out of all these players and STILL have a potential 20 year old power forward in the organization.
I find it interesting as well, but I'd be willing to bet that all you'll get at STLToday is "Pleau was an idiot for dumping Stillman," and you'll get it from the same people who, last year, were calling Stillman "Stillawoman" and a complete flop...

PrussianBlue

Old
05-20-2004, 09:50 PM
rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrussianBlue
I find it interesting as well, but I'd be willing to bet that all you'll get at STLToday is "Pleau was an idiot for dumping Stillman," and you'll get it from the same people who, last year, were calling Stillman "Stillawoman" and a complete flop...

PrussianBlue
<--those are tears of laughter.

yup! its a joke over there.

Old
05-21-2004, 02:11 PM
guitaraholic*

To go from Brind'Amour and Corson to David Backes, via Pierre Turgeon, is a serious mismanagement of assets. Not Pleau's fault, of course, as he wasn't around, but still... ugly.
The problem, of course, was Caron's trading of Rod for Richie Sutter and Murray Baron, still a brutal trade.

Old
05-21-2004, 09:16 PM
rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
To go from Brind'Amour and Corson to David Backes, via Pierre Turgeon, is a serious mismanagement of assets. Not Pleau's fault, of course, as he wasn't around, but still... ugly.
The problem, of course, was Caron's trading of Rod for Richie Sutter and Murray Baron, still a brutal trade.
well.. yeah but you dont get JUST backes.. you ALSO get 15 years of production from a couple players..

Old
05-21-2004, 11:59 PM
guitaraholic*

Rich Sutter? Murray Baron? Some mediocre years from Stillman. A couple of good years from Turgeon, too, so I guess you're right. It was still (originally) a brutal trade.
I hope Backes turns out to be a solid 2nd line, 60 point a year forward but that chances are he won't simply because most players don't reach that level. We'll see.

Old
05-22-2004, 07:24 AM

Quote:
I hope Backes turns out to be a solid 2nd line, 60 point a year forward but that chances are he won't simply because most players don't reach that level. We'll see.
Looking at the rankings on this site you'd get an different opinion.

Old
05-22-2004, 09:45 AM
degroat*

Quote:
I think many people... including the Blues scouting department... would tell you that if Backes only turns out to be a 2nd line, 60 point forward then he didn't turn out as good as they thought he would.

Old
05-22-2004, 12:58 PM
guitaraholic*

I have yet to read anywhere anyone who has that high an opinion on Backes that they think he's going to be a first line, 70+ point a year player. I've certainly heard nothing from the Blues scouting dept. or managerial team that they think Backes is anything other than a solid but not great prospect. A guy who puts up 70+ points is a first line, top 6 forward. I've never heard anyone outside of a few Blues fans say they see that potential in Backes, nevermind expect him to reach it.

Old
05-22-2004, 01:22 PM
degroat*

Just because you haven't heard anything doesn't mean it's the case. I can't help that you don't keep up with the prospects close enough.

The Blues said the day that they drafted him that they had in him ranked as 1st round material.

Old
05-22-2004, 02:29 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
Just because you haven't heard anything doesn't mean it's the case. I can't help that you don't keep up with the prospects close enough.

The Blues said the day that they drafted him that they had in him ranked as 1st round material.
Your reply indicates to me that you're a bit of a jackass. Nice having had this exchange with you. You're on my ignore list from here on out.

Old
05-22-2004, 03:27 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:

Quote:
Your reply indicates to me that you're a bit of a jackass. Nice having had this exchange with you. You're on my ignore list from here on out.
Play nice, kids...

Stich has it right that the Blues projected Backes as a possible first-rounder; he was ranked 56th in North America by Central Scouting in his draft year, but his coach in Lincoln (USHL) also said that "realistically, he could go anywhere from 25th to 60th."

McKeen's 2003 draft preview noted that Backes was "very raw, but there is enough promise in Backes to develop into an excellent prospect."

Red Line Report noted that Backes was "big, can skate, has a cannon shot, and is exhibiting some strong hockey sense. That's a lot of assets in the plus column."

PrussianBlue

Old
05-22-2004, 06:34 PM
guitaraholic*

I always play nice and respectfully, PB. The poster in questioned took an attitude and I put him on my ignore list. End of discussion. No harm, no foul. We move on.
I do recall the comments you refer to in your post but those are not authoritative analysis of his current status. If all Stich had to go on was those particular quotes, then I've already read/seen them, etc. I follow the Blues and their prospects *very* closely and I've never heard anyone outside of those previous aforementioned qoutes and some Blues fans who haven't seen him play that have ever suggested Backes is on a path to being anything more than a 2nd line forward in the NHL, if he even makes it to the NHL.
I'm sorry I'm not going to jump on the "our prospects are so vastly underrated, they're all going to be so great" sort of vibe that appears to surface here on occasion. I have followed the NHL for 30 years now and I have seen sooooo many of these "this kid is a great prospect" things only to have the guys never even step foot on NHL ice to have left me seriously jaded where prospects are concerned. It's safer to say, as of right now, that Backes will never play in the NHL because, guess what, most prospects don't. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by guitaraholic*: 05-22-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old
05-22-2004, 07:05 PM
degroat*

The real reason he 'ignored' me: Because he knows jack and can't handle someone else pointing it out.

Last edited by degroat*: 05-22-2004 at 07:13 PM.
Old
06-01-2004, 06:38 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Backes was another player who I had the chance to see several times throughout this past season. Backes led...or should I say, helped carry a Mankato State team that not only had to deal with the loss of many of their top forwards from the season before, but also a team that was dessimated by injuries. Backes was impressive with the Mavs, however IMO he is still very much a work a progress. While he certainly has the skills, I'd like to see how areas such as his playmaking ability and defensive side will start to take shape with a healthier Mavs team with some decent linemates with whom he'll play on a consistent basis with. So much was made about his offensive side (which MSU relied so heavily on) that other aspects of his game sort of "got lost in the shuffle". I plan to see several Mankato State games this upcoming season so that I can see how he's developing and progressing in those aforementioned areas. While I think he's a good skater, there is room for improvement there as well.

As for how he'll turn out, for me it's too early to tell....especially judging by what kind of team he had to deal with/playing for this past season.

Old
06-04-2004, 11:20 PM
CuSa_1

Quote:
The real reason he 'ignored' me: Because he knows jack and can't handle someone else pointing it out.
Alright, take it to Stltoday folks. This is one of the reasons I'm over here as opposed to stltoday.

:playnice:

Closed Thread