HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So where does Demitra go from here?

Old
06-27-2010, 08:21 AM
GCM
Stork

vCash: 500
So where does Demitra go from here?

Nothing has been said by GMMG but Pavol has expressed interest in staying in Vancouver, he likes it here a lot and I believe he owns a house here.

However I don't believe fans here or management want him back.

Regardless of if he came at a discount or not I don't think there is a need for Pavol here. He just didn't produce and we're looking elsewhere and younger.

So that begs the question. On July 1st who goes for Pavol Demitra?

Personally I think that Calgary and Toronto might be interested. Both teams are lacking in forward and could use the experience. I see him signing for 2.5-3M. He's still useful, he's a passer, so maybe him and Iginla or Kessel could be a surprise winning combo. Worst comes to worse he's a second line winger than can score in the shootout.

Other teams I think might be interested: Colorado, tons of cap space, lots of young guys, could take a gamble on Demitra having a bounce-back year based on his olympic performance. Again he can help lead the younger players and is still useful for shootouts and playing on the wing. Colorado has a shallow left wing, if I recall.

I could see him going back to the Wild. They have some good cap room and have almost a full roster signed already for the next season. He won't be too expensive and he can flip between the top two lines.

Also he's 35 now so his contract will be a 35+ one wherever he signs, so don't expect anything more than a year long contract. Maybe two at most.

Thoughts?

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:25 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Nothing has been said by GMMG but Pavol has expressed interest in staying in Vancouver, he likes it here a lot and I believe he owns a house here.

However I don't believe fans here or management want him back.

Regardless of if he came at a discount or not I don't think there is a need for Pavol here. He just didn't produce and we're looking elsewhere and younger.

So that begs the question. On July 1st who goes for Pavol Demitra?

Personally I think that Calgary and Toronto might be interested. Both teams are lacking in forward and could use the experience. I see him signing for 2.5-3M. He's still useful, he's a passer, so maybe him and Iginla or Kessel could be a surprise winning combo. Worst comes to worse he's a second line winger than can score in the shootout.

Other teams I think might be interested: Colorado, tons of cap space, lots of young guys, could take a gamble on Demitra having a bounce-back year based on his olympic performance. Again he can help lead the younger players and is still useful for shootouts and playing on the wing. Colorado has a shallow left wing, if I recall.

I could see him going back to the Wild. They have some good cap room and have almost a full roster signed already for the next season. He won't be too expensive and he can flip between the top two lines.

Also he's 35 now so his contract will be a 35+ one wherever he signs, so don't expect anything more than a year long contract. Maybe two at most.

Thoughts?
On the Rangers to play with Gaborik or back to Slovakia.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:23 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Thoughts?
Graciously thank him for his service, and shake hands goodbye as he boards a plane for Montreal or NYR.

Old
06-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Libor Polasek

I guess I look at it in terms of Canucks depth at forward. Gillis had no difficulty sending Grabner out of town. You'd have to think that Gillis wouldn't let Grabner go if he was worried that there wasn't enough guys to fill the space left by his absence. Demitra is probably in the "if he stays and takes a pay cut, fine, if not, adios" category. I think Gillis probably sees enough guys in the system to take Demitra's spot.

Libor Polasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I don't think we'd keep Pavol for unless it's a ridiculously steep discount, which he will not take.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:22 PM
LostMyGlasses*

He's fast, brings a ton of skill and leadership. We've lost one speedy winger in Grabner, I don't dare think we can suffer the loss of two in the same off season?

Resign him, 2 years 3 million per.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:28 PM
Passthedonuts

We made out just fine last year when Demitra was out for most of the season.

He was brought in as a top 6 stop gap while we waiting for guys within the system to emerge. Now that it's happened, he serves no use in the bottom 6 and that money is better sent on a proven bottom 6 guy with grit, PK experience etc.

I can't imagine a scenario in which Demitra returns.

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:29 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
He's fast, brings a ton of skill and leadership. We've lost one speedy winger in Grabner, I don't dare think we can suffer the loss of two in the same off season?

Did you leave HFBoards open and signed in on a public computer, or..?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:34 PM
struckmatch

Q: "So where does Demitra go from here"

A: "Away."

struckmatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 12:47 PM
m9

Quote:

I honestly can't think of a Canucks player in the last 5 years that I wanted back less than I want back Demitra. Maybe Santala, but at least he was cheap.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:08 PM
lefty2time*

Demitra isnt fast..he's quick...i think he has a good first step..he hits his top speed pretty quickly...but its not a crazy highend top speed.

I would like him back if we had a roster spot for him because he would probably take a deep discount and put up 50-60 points...but we have too many young guys and different needs...we dont have a spot for him at the moment.

Please go to the Rangers and put up 70 points playing with Gaborik....That would be sweet...I want him to do really well

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:32 PM
The Big Foot

Quote:

He didn't show much leadership during his two years here. He is pretty fast but certainly didn't change games with his speed.

He didn't earn his last contract, why in the world would we give him another similar one when he's two years older and missed most of the past season, and was a healthy scratch in the playoffs?

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:37 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Maybe he can sign a cheap deal with Pittsburgh.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:45 PM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark9 View Post
I honestly can't think of a Canucks player in the last 5 years that I wanted back less than I want back Demitra. Maybe Santala, but at least he was cheap.
Byron Ritchie
Jeff Cowan
Brad Isbister

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Win One Before I Die
Former Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to Win One Before I Die
If Demitra played like how he did in the Olympics I would keep him but he didnt.

Win One Before I Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:03 PM
ProstheticConscience
Das ist mein Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
On the Rangers to play with Gaborik or back to Slovakia.
^^^^This.

The only time I was halfway impressed with Demo in the last 2 years was when he wore the Slovakian flag. Granted he had injury issues, but at 4mil per he was an obvious bust. Give his agent Sather's cell number; he's got an old buddy in NY to pal around with.

ProstheticConscience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:24 PM
topheavyhookjaw

I'd take him back on a Mark Recchi deal...maybe.

He should retire. If he likes it here so much he should be a skills coach or consultant or something. He said all the right things publicly about being a team guy. I just wouldn't look at re-signing him unless it was super cheap and he had no problem being a healthy scratch at times. Decent enough injury replacement. But odds are he can get a 2yr/4m deal somewhere else in need of skill in their top 6 (probably in the SE).

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:31 PM
King of Anarchy

Retirement home.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:34 PM
YogiCanucks

Hard down a flight of stairs if I had it my way. That... or on Toronto.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Donky

Whichever direction we ended up punting Jan Bulis....that's where PD should head too....

Donky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:45 PM
orcatown

There never seemed to be a specific roster spot for Demitra. Probably best at center but never used much as a top six center and seemed out of place as bottom line player. Just bounced around from line to line never establishing himself with any line.

If you could project Demitra as your 3rd line center (say if you knew Wellwood wasn't coming back) then you might consider it at bargain basement price. However, it is hard to see Demitra in that role.

Canuck need to get bigger and tougher probably makes it necessary to ditch this perimeter player.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 03:47 PM
FiveAndGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Hard down a flight of stairs if I had it my way. That... or on Toronto.
Either way and he still ends up in the basement.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Momesso

I wouldn't bring him back at league minimum.

Waste of cap space and no place on the roster.

Gillis has finally realized what kind of team we need to build for the playoffs. Demitra has no place on that kind of team.

Momesso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Ernie

General theme so far: if you sucked in the playoffs, you're off the team.

That theory has yet to be proven with Bieksa though... hopefully soon.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:44 PM
passive voice

So, so far away. I've been thinking about it, and I'm not sure there's any dollar amount I'd care to bring him back for. He was really pretty bad last year.

passive voice is offline   Reply With Quote