HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So where does Demitra go from here?

Old
06-27-2010, 04:45 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
He won't be back with the Canucks but his Olympic performance may have earned him one more contract in the NHL. Rangers would make sense but he might find a better contract with a team that's close to the cap floor. I could also see him playing closer to home in Europe. The KHL seems to like throwing money at over the hill players.

I for one, am thrilled he will no longer be a Canuck. I like what Gillis has done for the most part but the Demitra signing was easily my least favorite of his moves. He's one of those players that you know will never have his name etched on the Cup. Seems like a nice guy and certainly has some skill but absolutely infuriating to watch from my perspective, especially come playoff time.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 04:57 PM
eklunds source

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
He's fast, brings a ton of skill and leadership. We've lost one speedy winger in Grabner, I don't dare think we can suffer the loss of two in the same off season?

Resign him, 2 years 3 million per.
Two days ago you were trying to convince people Mike Brown was useful while in Vancouver, and we just don't understand the need for "grit" or energy players. Now you want to bring Demitra back, for more than a year, for $3m? Are you drunk?

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:07 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Two days ago you were trying to convince people Mike Brown was useful while in Vancouver, and we just don't understand the need for "grit" or energy players. Now you want to bring Demitra back, for more than a year, for $3m? Are you drunk?
LMG rarely communicates without the use of sarcasm. You actually need one of these to interpret most of his posts:

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:11 PM
GCM
Stork

Completely forgot about the Rangers (as I should...).

That would be an appropriate destination for him.

Pens is actually a good fit for him too because they need some experienced wingers. He would be like a second Billy Guerin though.

Sather might even give him a $4M to join NYR just cause he's crazy like that.

I liked Demitra and I wanted him to do well but he was a bust. I was so excited after his olympic performance I thought we were going to get that level of play and it was one of the reasons I was optimistic about the playoffs and then he just recedes back into nothingness.

Whatever caused it I think that was the nail in the coffin, having a great olympics and following up by being a non-factor the rest of the season and post-season.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:16 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
He's fast, brings a ton of skill and leadership. We've lost one speedy winger in Grabner, I don't dare think we can suffer the loss of two in the same off season?

Resign him, 2 years 3 million per.

If sarcasm, then well played sir (though you should have realized it would go over most people's heads).

If not, well I'll just say I'm a "tad" confused then ...

CanaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:16 PM
JuniorNelson

Except for the hole on the second line if Burrows doesn't recover in time for the start of the regular season, why bring back Demitra? Wellwood is a more versatile player and just as availible to resign. Two million for Wellwood will bring more return than three for Demitra.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:20 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Except for the hole on the second line if Burrows doesn't recover in time for the start of the regular season, why bring back Demitra? Wellwood is a more versatile player and just as availible to resign. Two million for Wellwood will bring more return than three for Demitra.
If we're going to talk about 3rd line centers forget Wellwood.

If we're paying 1.2-2M on a 3rd line center I want Malhotra. Way more consistent than Wellfed. And he is actually hard to play against.

Wellwood is too much of a project with his consistency.

Old
06-27-2010, 05:29 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cowboy Poet View Post
Byron Ritchie
Jeff Cowan
Brad Isbister
Ryan Johnson
Kevin Bieksa

Demitra should go to Florida. Grabner-Demo-Bernier. Be a great line for them!

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:30 PM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
Ryan Johnson
Kevin Bieksa

Demitra should go to Florida. Grabner-Demo-Bernier. Be a great line for them!
No chance Tallon signs a 35 year old player.

Old
06-27-2010, 05:31 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
well, his loss I guess.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Hammer79

He looked like he was breaking out of his long slump at the Olympics, but then he showed very little after that for the Canucks. However, he was dealing with some health issues with his wife that he said caused him to go days without sleep. That could probably explain why he had nothing left in the tank down the stretch and in the playoffs. That said, he hasn't played like a $4M player either season or last, and I'd want him to take a discount to stay.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 05:46 PM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Unless he is in a position where he'd need to add salary to reach the floor. I understand his goal was to be in that range.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Moobles

Back to Minni or off to the Rangers, which is the most likely given Sather's habit of handing out nice contracts to expiring vets and the fact that his friend Gaborik's playing there.

If he wants to stay on the Canucks he'd have to take a discount.

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moobles View Post
If he wants to stay on the Canucks he'd have to take a discount.
Not even interested.

I would take Brendan Morrison for the third line over him.

And I don't particularly want him back either.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 06:57 PM
xtr3m

Demitra won't be re-signed. He would prefer to play for a team that has fellow Slovaks.

Last edited by xtr3m: 06-27-2010 at 08:14 PM.
xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 07:44 PM
Ziostilon

Demitra - Hodgson - Satan

Slovaks play better together

but for the real, St.Louis looks like they could use him with Tkachuk retiring and Kariya maybe leaving

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:28 PM
hilib

Quote:
If we're going to talk about 3rd line centers forget Wellwood.

If we're paying 1.2-2M on a 3rd line center I want Malhotra. Way more consistent than Wellfed. And he is actually hard to play against.

Wellwood is too much of a project with his consistency.
Wellwood has said a few times that he wants to go to a team where he could crack their top 6... unless there is absolutely no interest as of July 31st, don't expect him to be back... he's one of those players that's worth more to a bottom tier team then he is to us. Could easily see him going back to Toronto.

hilib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 08:39 PM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
Demitra - Hodgson - Satan

Slovaks play better together

but for the real, St.Louis looks like they could use him with Tkachuk retiring and Kariya maybe leaving
I'm a huge fan of Slovakian hockey players and I was thrilled when we signed Demitra. Sadly, he was hurt a lot and didn't give much effort in the playoffs.

No way he's back. Even if he wanted to come back for 1.5mil I'd rather put it towards guys like Malholtra, Armstrong, Nystrom, or even the A-train.

We need some grinders that can chip in and do the little things in our bottom 6.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:15 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAndGame View Post
Either way and he still ends up in the basement.
Lemon ZING!

He can go join Mike Brown.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:51 AM
GCM
Stork

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Demitra won't be re-signed. He would prefer to play for a team that has fellow Slovaks.
Well he's been verbal about preferring to stay in Vancouver.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:03 AM
xtr3m

Quote:
Well he's been verbal about preferring to stay in Vancouver.
Yeah, well, won't help. He wasn't on absolute best terms with a member of the staff.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:18 AM
Hammer79

Who knows what Gillis' thinking is on this, especially considering that Burrows could be out until December from what I've heard. MG might not judge his post-Olympic play harshly considering the personal issues he was dealing with. Despite the lingering fatigue/insomnia, he still managed 6 pts in 11 playoff games. Some other GM might decide that he can play like he did at the Olympics and offer him more than MG would be willing to. I think that post Olympics is when he really became the whipping boy of Canucks fans.

However, MG might be under some pressure to keep him. There's no guarantee that Hodgson will be the third line center, although I think he likely will be, it's hard to take it to the bank with a rookie. Gillis likes having depth at center and Demitra can play center and the wing. Wellwood is probably history too. I could easily see Demitra being re-upped for a 2 year deal at $2.5M per.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:49 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Who knows what Gillis' thinking is on this, especially considering that Burrows could be out until December from what I've heard. MG might not judge his post-Olympic play harshly considering the personal issues he was dealing with. Despite the lingering fatigue/insomnia, he still managed 6 pts in 11 playoff games. Some other GM might decide that he can play like he did at the Olympics and offer him more than MG would be willing to. I think that post Olympics is when he really became the whipping boy of Canucks fans.

However, MG might be under some pressure to keep him. There's no guarantee that Hodgson will be the third line center, although I think he likely will be, it's hard to take it to the bank with a rookie. Gillis likes having depth at center and Demitra can play center and the wing. Wellwood is probably history too. I could easily see Demitra being re-upped for a 2 year deal at $2.5M per.
I can't. He doesn't fit any of the qualities of what we need. He's not durable, is undersized, disappears for vast stretches of time, doesn't offer much grit or PK prowess, etc.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:34 AM
Nalyd Psycho

I have no hate for Demitra. But the fact is, he's so injury prone that I fear for him. Continuing to play will only hurt the rest of his life. He should either play in Slovakia for love of the game or retire.

06-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Bougieman

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
I can't. He doesn't fit any of the qualities of what we need. He's not durable, is undersized, disappears for vast stretches of time, doesn't offer much grit or PK prowess, etc.
Uh huh. And those were all issues before we signed him last time, too. And we still signed him.

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote