HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks qualify Raymond, Hansen, Glass, O'Brien, Bliznak

Old
06-28-2010, 07:38 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
Yeah that's right. And I remember him spouting off saying his QO didn't get to him before the deadline and he was going to try and become a UFA because of it. I'm not imagining that part of it am I? I remember it was one of the many reasons I disliked him.
I don't know about the QO part...he was on a minimum wage contract for what felt like ages(4 years? 5 years?) and then wanted a multi-year deal. I certainly remember his agent doing a lot of PR work, saying how he'd played for so long at a discount he was due for a raise in recognition of all his hard work. He certainly had been worth every penny and then some before his new deal, but never really lived up to it after he signed it.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Who do the players dislike the most on the team?
Player on the canucks will tell you they have a great locker room and get along on and off the ice. Even Wellwood has been quoted saying this is the best group of guys he has played with and i can tell you all the Canucks who are up for Contracts wanna come back

Ballard is a real team guy and will fit in nicely with this group

DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:45 PM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
This 2011 team will fight for the conference title.

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:45 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cowboy Poet View Post
Really? I remember him being a little rat on the ice.
he was quite popular while putting up 42 points for $500k.

when he re-signed with the big raise, and his production started dipping, not so popular anymore. and his less likable qualities seemed to become more prominent as his reputation for cheapness grew.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Placebo Effect

There is a surprising amount of outrage (maybe too harsh a term) on twitter over Raymond's "lowball" Qualifying Offer.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bourdon

Do we really need a player like SOB at his price if his role is nothing more than a 6th defenseman? If we sign one of the big UFA defenseman this year, there's not a lot of ice-time left over to give SOB, who has stated that he wants a bigger role.

It seems like the cap benefits teams looking for depth players on the cheap. Brett Carson would be a good replacement without all the distractions.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ernie

yeah, you don't hear much about team divisions, not like it was in the Naslund / Bertuzzi years.

HockeyWidow seemed to think O'Brien's antics had tried the patience of a few of his teammates.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:11 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
Player on the canucks will tell you they have a great locker room and get along on and off the ice. Even Wellwood has been quoted saying this is the best group of guys he has played with and i can tell you all the Canucks who are up for Contracts wanna come back

Ballard is a real team guy and will fit in nicely with this group
Somehow I doubt that many men in one group is all rainbows and lollipops, which is why I'm quite skeptical that SOB and his immature antics have left him as a popular among all his teammates. There are annoying players who stand up for their teammates and then there are just annoying players. In fact, the only time I can remember SOB standing up for one of his teammates was when he fought one of his teammates.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:16 PM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Somehow I doubt that many men in one group is all rainbows and lollipops, which is why I'm quite skeptical that SOB and his immature antics have left him as a popular among all his teammates. There are annoying players who stand up for their teammates and then there are just annoying players. In fact, the only time I can remember SOB standing up for one of his teammates was when he fought one of his teammates.
I disagree. Sometimes it's easy to tell who the most popular guys in the room are, just by how the other players talk about them. In my opinion, Burrows and O'Brien are probably amongst the most popular.

Also, if you people who want SOB gone for his off-ice behavior were Hawks fans, you'd have advocated trading Patrick Kane... so yeah, your theory doesn't work for me.

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

The only time O'Brien is tough is when he's taking a stupid penalty after the whistle or cross-checking Buff 5 times and getting minors.

He didn't fight last year except for a loss to Chupchura and a playoff fight with Simmonds where he acted like a total idiot after that draw. If you're going to showboat and celebrate at least win the fight. He was out of shape and could barely stand after a fight with little Mike Brown in 2009. His fight card has always been pathetic, he's not a good fighter he just grabs and hugs.

Oh and he doesn't want to fight because it's below him as a player right? isn't he too good to fight? yeah he's such an important offensive stud trying to lead the rush in an elimination playoff game getting caught in the other end while a breakaway is heading towards his net.

Total idiot, I want him gone. I heard Gillis talk about the clown after the season ended and it sounded like he had finally had enough of the sideshow and was going to move him.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Nolan Bombgardener

vCash: 835
Dear Mason Raymond,

Please accept your qualifying offer.

Thanks.

Nolan Bombgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrisweb View Post
I dont remember any of that.. I do remember him busting his hump for years at a minimal wage before finally getting his pay raise. I remember him being a fan favorite because of his great work ethic on the ice night in, night out.
Nah, it happened.

http://hfboards.ca/showthread.php?t=166282

Around post 47 of this old thread (which I am in, bad-mouthing Cooke for this same reason - good to see I've remained consistent) another poster confirms it.

I'm too lazy too find any more info. It happened.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapperface View Post
I disagree. Sometimes it's easy to tell who the most popular guys in the room are, just by how the other players talk about them. In my opinion, Burrows and O'Brien are probably amongst the most popular.

Also, if you people who want SOB gone for his off-ice behavior were Hawks fans, you'd have advocated trading Patrick Kane... so yeah, your theory doesn't work for me.
Did Patrick Kane get so fat that he had to be suspended by his team? Has he shown up late for practice? And, most importantly of all, is he a 27-year-old depth player?

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:31 PM
rye&ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
There is a surprising amount of outrage (maybe too harsh a term) on twitter over Raymond's "lowball" Qualifying Offer.

You can thank idiots like Dave Pratt in part. How a plagiarist can continue to work in the media astounds me.

He also thinks Savard's cap hit and/or salary is $7m/year.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:40 PM
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
The only time O'Brien is tough is when he's taking a stupid penalty after the whistle or cross-checking Buff 5 times and getting minors.

He didn't fight last year except for a loss to Chupchura and a playoff fight with Simmonds where he acted like a total idiot after that draw. If you're going to showboat and celebrate at least win the fight. He was out of shape and could barely stand after a fight with little Mike Brown in 2009. His fight card has always been pathetic, he's not a good fighter he just grabs and hugs.

Oh and he doesn't want to fight because it's below him as a player right? isn't he too good to fight? yeah he's such an important offensive stud trying to lead the rush in an elimination playoff game getting caught in the other end while a breakaway is heading towards his net.

Total idiot, I want him gone. I heard Gillis talk about the clown after the season ended and it sounded like he had finally had enough of the sideshow and was going to move him.
I have no problem with a little show boating. It get the other team/fans off their game.. Remember Baffon after he scored that goal and was giving it to the Canucks fans.

Did that piss you off?

Old
06-28-2010, 08:49 PM
DoubleTrouble

The Canucks can go 5% or 10% over the cap. Can't remember which at this point..I'm pretty sure it's 10% But must be at the cap come the opener.

You wanna have extra guys around so player know if they wanna make the team they have to work hard for it.

Having SOB signed is a good thing. Even if things don't work out there will be teams looking for a d-men like SOB and can bring a player or a draft pick back to Vancouver.

So it's a win win situation for Vancouver to get him signed, But signed at a low cap hit. It makes it easier to move him or fit him on the team.

If SOB doesn't wanna sign then he can sit till he decided to sign or go play over seas

Old
06-28-2010, 08:56 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Oh wow, Raymond's offer is ridiculously low... and O'Brien's is strangely high. If he accepts that, he'd be more revered that Hamhuis here.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
ubiquitous
More like Shredder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saren View Post
Oh wow, Raymond's offer is ridiculously low... and O'Brien's is strangely high. If he accepts that, he'd be more revered that Hamhuis here.
It's to do with their contract last year, both are the minimums.

ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubiquitous View Post
It's to do with their contract last year, both are the minimums.
Whatever works, I guess. (Thanks for that)

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:05 PM
Meganuck*

Do people realize that QO's virtually mean nothing in terms of dollars? It's standard and the Canucks obviously expect Raymond to go to arbritration.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Man people are dumb! I have heard more about this on Canucks sources than I would care to remember.

The qualifying offer is not even really an offer. Look at it like this: the Canucks are paying the minimum amount to retain the rights of their RFAs under the CBA- nothing more, nothing less.

It doesn't have a single thing to do with contract negotiations before the fact or going forward beyond the fact that they decided they don't want to cut the player in question loose as a UFA.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:21 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Do people realize that QO's virtually mean nothing in terms of dollars? It's standard and the Canucks obviously expect Raymond to go to arbritration.
ah yes! But player elected arbitration.

Doesn't that mean Mike Girris can decide on the 1 or 2 year term options>?~@##%@#^#U^%@|**?><~`~3%%@

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
I don't think it is standard at all, and the Canucks will do everything they can to avoid a hearing but can even come to a resolution with the player during the hearing.

Arbitration hearings do neither side any good.

Old
06-28-2010, 09:36 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Man people are dumb! I have heard more about this on Canucks sources than I would care to remember.

The qualifying offer is not even really an offer. Look at it like this: the Canucks are paying the minimum amount to retain the rights of their RFAs under the CBA- nothing more, nothing less.

It doesn't have a single thing to do with contract negotiations before the fact or going forward beyond the fact that they decided they don't want to cut the player in question loose as a UFA.
they are legitimate offers since the player can accept them. O'Brien might for example.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
they are legitimate offers since the player can accept them. O'Brien might for example.
A player could accept a QO there is no doubt, but there is a difference between theory and practicality, especially when one has the option of opting for arbitration and nothing to lose.