HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2010, 08:47 AM
goforit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
6'0 139 lbs isn't a typo for Teichmann? Get that guy a cheeseburger and chili fries, and a gym pass for god's sake.
Lol!

Funny, but there's no trouble... at his age, I was about his size, and now I'm 6f1, 185pnds. He'll grow!

Old
08-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Mathletic

Quote:
6'0 139 lbs isn't a typo for Teichmann? Get that guy a cheeseburger and chili fries, and a gym pass for god's sake.
I doubt it, he's listed at 142 on Belleville's wsite

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...er.php?id=5413

Old
08-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Now that the 5 days summer camp for the NJT is done, we all know that our own prospect Louis Leblanc left St. John's as the best forward out of the camp. However, one young guy that really dominated as well was Sean Couturier. Should the Canadiens do everything in order to draft Couturier? I'm really high on this kid and he could turn out to be a better version of Jordan Staal...likely with Eric's offensive upside. Imagine our 1st line in a few years being like this: Couturier - Leblanc - Kristo or Kristo - Couturier - Leblanc. (Kristo did played on the LW for team USA and Couturier played center at the camp with Leblanc on his right)

Old
08-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Fern

Couturier

Unfortunatelly, you will probably need a top three selection to draft this guy maybe even the firts overral pick and I'm not sure the Habs would be willing to sacrifice three or four seasons right now trading some veterans like Markov or prospects like Price and Subban to get a guy like Couturier.

Old
08-12-2010, 10:06 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern View Post
Unfortunatelly, you will probably need a top three selection to draft this guy maybe even the firts overral pick and I'm not sure the Habs would be willing to sacrifice three or four seasons right now trading some veterans like Markov or prospects like Price and Subban to get a guy like Couturier.
Sometimes you get lucky by targeting the right trading partner and getting the right pick in exchange for the right piece. (All of our Leafs hating aside,) how could Boston have predicted that Toronto would finish 2nd last, for example?

What could have been if, after we traded Rivet to San Jose, they (SJ) had finished 2nd last (by whatever series of events and catastrophes)? Instead of getting a stab at MaxPac (to go with McDonagh), maybe we're looking at JVR or Kane instead.

I'm not advocating tossing around important players to play 1st round draft position roulette, but it's possible to make some moves that end up cashing in big time with a little luck and make you look like a genius. Just gotta approach those teams you expect to flounder and offer them something they're willing to part with the pick for (and hope from there!)

Old
08-12-2010, 11:09 PM
JeromeHP
Jerome_Berube

For those who are in Montreal and want to see Couturier in action before he hit the big show. Here's the date he's going to be at the verdun auditorium againts Louis Leblanc and the Montreal Junior

November 14th 2010
December 12th 2010 (not expected to be there, should be at team canada camp with Leblanc)
March 11th 2011

Old
08-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Fern

Quote:
Sometimes you get lucky by targeting the right trading partner and getting the right pick in exchange for the right piece. (All of our Leafs hating aside,) how could Boston have predicted that Toronto would finish 2nd last, for example?

What could have been if, after we traded Rivet to San Jose, they (SJ) had finished 2nd last (by whatever series of events and catastrophes)? Instead of getting a stab at MaxPac (to go with McDonagh), maybe we're looking at JVR or Kane instead.

I'm not advocating tossing around important players to play 1st round draft position roulette, but it's possible to make some moves that end up cashing in big time with a little luck and make you look like a genius. Just gotta approach those teams you expect to flounder and offer them something they're willing to part with the pick for (and hope from there!)
You're right. Sometimes it's just luck or bad luck but in the Leafs' case they got Kessel who is a real good goal scorer. I'm sure Burke didn't plan to finish 29th but Boston did that deal because they knew Toronto wasn't a powerhouse. What I mean is that it's easier to get a first from San Jose with Rivet than a first from Toronto with a player like Rivet. It's all about odds and if you want it more on your side you need to pay. But I agree with you at 100% that if you don't try, you'll never get lucky.

Old
08-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Gonna keep an eye out for Nicklas Jensen this year. Big goalscoring LW from Denmark (said to be better than Eller at the same age)... could be a nice fit.

Has anyone seen him play?

Old
08-16-2010, 06:10 PM
JeromeHP
Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Gonna keep an eye out for Nicklas Jensen this year. Big goalscoring LW from Denmark (said to be better than Eller at the same age)... could be a nice fit.

unless someone is from Denmark i doubt anyone has seen this kid play will make sure to watch him this year with the Generals. The Generals have 3 potential 1st round pick for the upcoming draft. Jensen, Boone Jenner & Lucas Lessio

Old
08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
unless someone is from Denmark i doubt anyone has seen this kid play will make sure to watch him this year with the Generals. The Generals have 3 potential 1st round pick for the upcoming draft. Jensen, Boone Jenner & Lucas Lessio
Quite true. And even then (if you managed to at least catch the U18s), there would be questions about the usefulness of what you were watching (Denmark was D1 of course, not top level). You can only learn so much about a player watching him play against France, Japan, Austria, Korea, and Norway. He exploded against the weaker teams there, but the stronger ones (Austria, Norway) kept him in check a little better. Of course, Austria kept him in the penalty box for a good deal of time, while limiting him to 1 goal on 2 shots. He managed 7 shots against Norway, and ended up with 1 goal and 1 assist.

Wish I could have caught some webcasts of Herning's games, especially in the playoffs when Jensen was a beast (in the 10 games he played of is team's 12). Should be a lot easier to get a look at him playing with Oshawa this year. He also has family in the area (30-40 kms from Oshawa), so he should start the season off fairly comfortably, too, despite the overseas move.

Rumour has it that someone from the NYR organization recommended the move to the OHL, btw (or it might have been a trainer who was talking to NYR, who said it was good that he came over, or something), so if this move turns out to be a good one for him, he may feel the most loyalty towards them (meaning if he does well and NYR gets to the podium before the Habs next draft, it might be best to forget about landing him).

Old
08-17-2010, 07:05 AM
Tobias

Send a message via Skype™ to Tobias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Yup, he's from my home town. Very strong player, has a great shot and drives hard at the net. No fear, and more of a pure scorer than Eller and Bødker. IMO there is no doubt that he is better than they were at the same age.

You have something to look forward to

Old
08-17-2010, 12:41 PM
JeromeHP
Jerome_Berube

More on Jensen

http://dansallows.com/player-profile-nicklas-jensen/

Old
08-18-2010, 09:04 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Guess it would be a good idea to keep an eye out on some goalies for '11 now, got to think they draft one this time around since our only young G prospects are Mayer and Simila.

Old
08-18-2010, 10:55 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Guess it would be a good idea to keep an eye out on some goalies for '11 now, got to think they draft one this time around since our only young G prospects are Mayer and Simila.
Well, I think it's time Timmins took a look at few videos of puck perspective. I was watching some last night 'cause I do some recreational goaltending now that I can afford it, never was involved in ice hockey as a youth.

Anyways, the puck perspective, and the shooter perspective, shows that size doesn't really matter, you still see just about the same amount of net. So drafting these 6'6"+ goalies isn't really the best idea, especially since the quickness and recovery of such long limbs, not to mention muscular development takes longer to develop in those large bodies.

Old
08-18-2010, 12:56 PM
ngc_5128

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Well, I think it's time Timmins took a look at few videos of puck perspective. I was watching some last night 'cause I do some recreational goaltending now that I can afford it, never was involved in ice hockey as a youth.

Anyways, the puck perspective, and the shooter perspective, shows that size doesn't really matter, you still see just about the same amount of net. So drafting these 6'6"+ goalies isn't really the best idea, especially since the quickness and recovery of such long limbs, not to mention muscular development takes longer to develop in those large bodies.
Do you think this will change this year with the new way the pad measurements will work? Larger guys will have larger pads and to a non-goalie, non-shooter like me, it sounds like that will mean more net coverage.

Old
08-18-2010, 01:39 PM
JeromeHP
Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
good call Dan, yesterday i wrote on another msg board that the habs will pick a goalie in the top3 round. book it

in the QMJHL, the top 2 goalie prospects are playing for the same team. Robin Gusse and Christopher Gibson of Chicoutimi. I like Gibson better because of his size but Gusse he's really quick (similar to O.Roy)

Old
08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
good call Dan, yesterday i wrote on another msg board that the habs will pick a goalie in the top3 round. book it

in the QMJHL, the top 2 goalie prospects are playing for the same team. Robin Gusse and Christopher Gibson of Chicoutimi. I like Gibson better because of his size but Gusse he's really quick (similar to O.Roy)
I enjoy that, with a name like that, he was actually born in Karkkila, FIN and has competed internationally for Finland.

One name I might add from the Q that's a bit closer to home (for me, anyway) is Alexandre Veronneau. A bit scrawny still, but showed a bit of promise in his brief stints behind O.Roy and overager Holden. I'm not sure how Cape Breton's goaltending has shaken down with O.Roy's trade to Lewiston, but I think Veronneau stands to get a bunch of starts this year (maybe even becomes the starter, if they don't end up poaching one of Corbeil or Delmas from Halifax, lol). Someone to keep on the radar at least, imo.

Ironically (given the Delmas topic that popped up last night), I think Veronneau was Cape Breton's goalies in one of Delmas' games I talked about last night. I don't remember exactly (I caught a lot of Mooseheads games last season, being happily funemployed back then too, obviously), but if it was him, he had a pretty good game. Something like almost 40 saves in a losing cause.

Old
08-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Mathletic

kinda of a bad year to be looking for a goalie though

but as has been said it will be interesting to see how Veronneau develops, he's one of the few who could be interesting

Old
08-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
kinda of a bad year to be looking for a goalie though

but as has been said it will be interesting to see how Veronneau develops, he's one of the few who could be interesting
Dude needs to eat a few cheeseburgers and poutines without losing his speed and reflexes, but yeah... I'll be watching him.

edit: totally wrong video inserted, but I'm not changing it.

Old
08-19-2010, 01:32 AM
JeromeHP
Jerome_Berube

Quote:

edit: totally wrong video inserted, but I'm not changing it.
hahahahaha what the **** was that ? best post ever on a draft thread

Old
08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
JeromeHP
Jerome_Berube

Kirk Luedeke is a prospect writer for the new england hockey journal and on his blog he has posted his watch list for alll 3 chl league. take a look

QMJHL watch list

WHL watch list

OHL watch list

Old
08-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Kirk Luedeke is a prospect writer for the new england hockey journal and on his blog he has posted his watch list for alll 3 chl league. take a look

QMJHL watch list

WHL watch list

OHL watch list
Thanks! Prediction and wish as of today....I wish we pick somebody from Saint John....I think I'll pay to watch tons of Saint John games this year. Though I'm already totally sold on Jurco but can't believe he'll fall that much.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 08-24-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old
08-24-2010, 11:35 AM
NLHabsFan

I really like Brandon Saad, I think he would be a great addition for the Habs prospect pool, basically everything you'd want. I've been trying not to think about it too much though cause it's highly unlikely that the Habs will be able to acquire a pick high enough to get him

Old
08-24-2010, 12:56 PM
JeromeHP
Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Thanks! Prediction and wish as of today....I wish we pick somebody from Saint John....I think I'll pay to watch tons of Saint John games this year. Though I'm already totally sold on Jurco but can't believe he'll fall that much.
it depends where you see the habs this year. i see Jurco as a 15-20 range pick and its where i see the habs picking this year. im with you im sold on him. i see a lot of Martin Havlat in him. a lot of skill and he's not affraid.

but the intriguing guy in saint-john to me is Nathan Beaulieu, lots of skill, lots of physical tool and has improved so much in the last year. still has some hole in his game (defensively) and some unconfirmed character/attitude issue that i have heard. some rumour last year that he ask for a trade wich i never like to hear from jr player. but maybe its just do that they fired his dad last year and he want out. But look like its all behind him right now. i saw that he was rank 7th overall for the 2011 draft by dobberhockey earlier this week wich was a big shock to me. i like him but not that much.

more info on Beaulieu : http://dansallows.com/interview-nathan-beaulieu/

Old
08-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I really like Brandon Saad, I think he would be a great addition for the Habs prospect pool, basically everything you'd want. I've been trying not to think about it too much though cause it's highly unlikely that the Habs will be able to acquire a pick high enough to get him
Why are you saying that? The parity in the league is as high as ever and any team could end up in the playoffs. I don't want to start a debate here on if the Canadiens should tank or not, but we did not improve as well as other teams did during the offseason. Then again, who knows what's gonna happen with our goalies. Price is good, but can he perform well most of the 82 games? Anything can happen, and I stand my ground by saying that rebuilding is the solution and it begins with the draft. We have a good core, then we need to add top end prospects.

Closed Thread