HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Griffin Reinhart (2012, 4th, NYI; traded to EDM)

Old
01-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Retail1LO*
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO* Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO* Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
Honestly didn't like the pick by the Islanders at the time and still don't like it. Never saw a ton of offensive talent from him, and his totals in his draft year were inflated by a very good Oil Kings team. Still could end up as a solid defensive dman in the league, but I think Murray, Rielly, Trouba, and Lindholm will all turn out to be better dmen from that draft.
This kind of thinking just...makes me go bat**** crazy. He's a DEFENSEman. DEFENSE. Blue liner. Rearguard. DEFENSEMAN. Never saw a ton of offensive talent from him? Ok. Well...he's a DEFENSEMAN. WTF is it with everyone looking at a d-man's potential or worth by the points he puts on the board? This is the same kind of thinking that makes the Norris trophy an absolute GD farce. Pretty please with sugar on top, give the award to the best DEFENSEMAN. Not the guy that generates the most offence, but the one that helps keep the most pucks out of his own net. What's wrong with having Scott Stevens on your team these days? Christ. Everyone want's a freakin' winger on their blueline. You guys drive me nuts. Let Griffin Reinhart be the best player he is...whether it's an offensive dynamo or a defensive stalwart. I don't know a team in the league that doesn't need both.

Retail1LO* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2014, 04:31 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
This kind of thinking just...makes me go bat**** crazy. He's a DEFENSEman. DEFENSE. Blue liner. Rearguard. DEFENSEMAN. Never saw a ton of offensive talent from him? Ok. Well...he's a DEFENSEMAN. WTF is it with everyone looking at a d-man's potential or worth by the points he puts on the board? This is the same kind of thinking that makes the Norris trophy an absolute GD farce. Pretty please with sugar on top, give the award to the best DEFENSEMAN. Not the guy that generates the most offence, but the one that helps keep the most pucks out of his own net. What's wrong with having Scott Stevens on your team these days? Christ. Everyone want's a freakin' winger on their blueline. You guys drive me nuts. Let Griffin Reinhart be the best player he is...whether it's an offensive dynamo or a defensive stalwart. I don't know a team in the league that doesn't need both.
While I agree with the general point you're making, I don't agree that ignoring a player's offensive contributions, even if he's a defenseman, is a very good thing when assessing a player's ultimate upside.

It's the difference between a player like Karl Alzner and a player like Ryan Suter. Both are gems in their own zone, but Suter's much more valuable because he can also contribute to the offense. That doesn't mean Alzner is a bad player, by any means. But his lack of offense is what separates him from being a truly great defenseman.

I also disagree with your example of Scott Stevens. Did you see the offense he put up in his career, especially his earlier years? Using someone like Rod Langway probably would have been a more valid comparison for a defenseman who was dominant in his own zone but didn't bring much offense.

(note: the above isn't necessarily in regards to Reinhart or his offensive upside. Just a general comment on the notion that a player's offensive upside shouldn't be an issue if he's a defenseman)

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 03:55 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Reinhart was steady as usual.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:29 PM
Lacaar

Honestly Griffin kind of reminds me of Pronger in the defensive aspect when I watch him play. He has a very calming presence on the back end.

He's not nearly as good of passer but not many are. Pronger had perhaps the nicest breakout pass I've ever seen.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 04:33 PM
SI90

What gets lost is that he can skate pretty for a big dman and can move the puck. Such a smart hockey player

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2014, 10:53 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Reminds me of Marc Staal, who before he was blind was a top notch shut down defenseman, and dominated games.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 12:55 AM
giddy up*

We need Griffin to be good at D. The offense would be a bonus. We need a big, steady rock on our blue line.

giddy up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 01:00 AM
Loffer

Looked solid at the WJC me thinks. No Risto, but good.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 01:41 AM
Goose of Reason
El Zilcho

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retail1LO View Post
The argument more so is due to draft position than ability. The general argument is that defense can be taught whereas offensive ability can not. So, at the top of the draft going for offensive players is seen as the way to go, as the odds of finding a highly offensive player later in the draft is not as likely as finding a defensive player. Santini in 2013, for example, is a solid defenseman but showed little offensive ability in his draft year (no goals). He's rock solid, but was still a second rounder. That was a stacked draft as well, though.

Not that I completely agree with that argument, but there is some merit.

Goose of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Nolanitis

I have no problem with his offense, I think he is a very good skater and passer. His shot is ok, not a top notch shot. But he is very good defensively (which the Isles need worse than anything else) and can lead the rush. Should be an NHLer next season.

Nolanitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:06 PM
seafoam
The Real Winner

BUMP.

Where do you guys see Reinhart starting out next year?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:07 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
BUMP.

with the nyi.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:08 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 135
Quote:
BUMP.

My guess is, while the Islanders brass may want to give him a shot he'll probably be in the AHL.

NHL Dude 120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:09 PM
SI90

The Big Cat aka Reinhart will be on the Islanders imo....Very excited to see him turn pro...Hes such a Rock on the blue line...

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 04:12 PM
seafoam
The Real Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Dude 120 View Post
My guess is, while the Islanders brass may want to give him a shot he'll probably be in the AHL.
That could be the case if Ryan Pulock is indeed eligible to play in the AHL next year, which it sound like he is. They would form a nice pairing.

Old
04-07-2014, 04:19 PM
McMozesmadness
5-14-6-1

Love the Big Cat, this kid is a stud, Islanders knocked the pick outta the park.

I've never seen a D-man so steady at the junior level, doesn't play very physical all the time, but when gets pissed off he can absolutely wreck people.

McMozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 05:19 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Dude 120 View Post
I am guessing he will legitimately be one of our best 6 defensemen in camp. Not sure if that is a positive comment about him our a negative comment about our defense.

Only way he doesn't make it is if somebody surprising like Pulock or Pokka have a better camp.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Kevin27nyi
#21KO

He's going to be on the team next year, no question.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 05:46 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

I hope Reinhart ends up in Bridgeport and the Islanders sign a veteran defenseman. I want Reinhart and Pulock to play together in Bridgeport next year, but I'm fine with Reinhart coming in anyway. Seems like he's ready.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 09:35 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I am guessing he will legitimately be one of our best 6 defensemen in camp. Not sure if that is a positive comment about him our a negative comment about our defense.

Only way he doesn't make it is if somebody surprising like Pulock or Pokka have a better camp.
I think the team will bring in a vet and plan on Reinhart starting in the AHL. I think he would need to be one of the top-4 defensemen by a pretty wide margin to stay with the Isles to start the season.

I think he comes up to stay at he first injury, similar to Hamonic a few years ago.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 09:52 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I think the team will bring in a vet and plan on Reinhart starting in the AHL. I think he would need to be one of the top-4 defensemen by a pretty wide margin to stay with the Isles to start the season.

I think he comes up to stay at he first injury, similar to Hamonic a few years ago.
I think so too. I think Snow looks for another 1 year stop gap veteran d-man via trade at the Draft or in UFA. While Reinhart is an uber-level prospect, AHL time isn't going to hurt him and the Isles have routinely let all of their d-men prospects get time at the Bridge before getting a legit full time shot in the NHL. Hamonic, CdH, Donovan, Ness, Mayfield, Pedan, etc. It really seems to be their development model and they strictly adhere to it. Czuczman is the exception, but he is a 23-year old College FA signing so not the same circumstance.

I do think that Reinhart will finish the season in the NHL though. Getting time with Pulock in the AHL might work to both player's advantage, they could conceivably help eachother get to the NHL as a ready-to-go pairing (probably 3rd pair to start). Similar to CdH-Hamonic (previous chemisty in the WJC and AHL), we could see a similar dynamic evolve with Reinhart and Pulock.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 12:39 PM
blinkman360
Norris

I just don't see him stepping foot in the AHL, to be honest. He was arguably one of our four best defensemen in camp this past year, he's literally a perfect fit for everything we need defensively at the moment(big bodied shut-down defender), and with all the success of his draft peers around the league(with a year less of development), I think he would really have to fall on his face in TC to not get a spot.

Even if a veteran is brought in, I expect Reinhart to be on the team. Plus IMO it would be wise to get Reinhart acclimated next season, since it's almost a guarantee that one of Pulock/Pokka will replace Visnovsky in 2015/16. Would rather not go into that season with two rookie defenders.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 01:41 PM
N Ireland Nets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I just don't see him stepping foot in the AHL, to be honest. He was arguably one of our four best defensemen in camp this past year, he's literally a perfect fit for everything we need defensively at the moment(big bodied shut-down defender), and with all the success of his draft peers around the league(with a year less of development), I think he would really have to fall on his face in TC to not get a spot.

Even if a veteran is brought in, I expect Reinhart to be on the team. Plus IMO it would be wise to get Reinhart acclimated next season, since it's almost a guarantee that one of Pulock/Pokka will replace Visnovsky in 2015/16. Would rather not go into that season with two rookie defenders.
Exactly, totally agree.

There is no real benefit from playing Reinhart and Pulock together in Bridgeport because they won't play together with the Islanders as rookies. With Reinhart playing on the Islanders next season, it would set things up nicely to add another rookie in 2015/16 to the Isles.

Something like:
2014/15
de Haan - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
Hickey - Vet 1 year stop gap

Then start to add Pulock, Pokka through the season or any of the prospects who really step up. Reinhart will make the Islanders roster next year with Pulock, Pelech, Pokka (if he signs his ELC which I believe he will), Mayfield, Pedan and Czuczman all playing together in a hugely talented defensive core with Bridgeport in the AHL.

N Ireland Nets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2015, 08:39 AM
seafoam
The Real Winner

Bump.

4 goals and 15 assists in 47 games and a -18. Bridgeport's a really bad team and apparently he's getting big minutes is all situations, but not the greatest rookie season as a pro so far.

Has anyone seen him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That's not gonna happen.

I could see him in the nhl in the 2013/14 season.

He is not that far out.

Certainly not three years imo.

It would not be a surprise to see him make it straight out of the draft tbh.

But I doubt that will happen.
Well, it happened, but I'm not exactly sure I'm happy to say I was right.

Old
03-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Bump.

4 goals and 15 assists in 47 games and a -18. Bridgeport's a really bad team and apparently he's getting big minutes is all situations, but not the greatest rookie season as a pro so far.

Has anyone seen him?

Well, it happened, but I'm not exactly sure I'm happy to say I was right.
I'm going to guess the minus 18 had something to do with playing in front of David Leggio and his 3.93 GAA and .861 save percentage.

From what I've seen in the couple games I went to in Bridgeport he looked fine. What do people want from him he's going to be a shutdown type of defender. He's not going to put up 45 points in 47 games.

Islander fans have weird expectations for him especially since Pulock came storming out of the gate with how often he got on the scoresheet.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote