HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal?

Old
06-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

vCash: 500
Marc Staal?

Glen Sather on RFA Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm"

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=791784

He'd be better than Hamhuis for the same money, and it wouldn't be a big issue if we lost our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks in a weak draft.

RFA sheet? Whaddya think?

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:54 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
rangers would match

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamaranger View Post
rangers would match
So what's the downside for us?

Old
06-27-2010, 11:01 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post

He'd be better than Hamhuis for the same money, and it wouldn't be a big issue if we lost our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks in a weak draft.

I'm not opposed to dealing picks for good young players like Staal, but let's not go crazy here with saying its not a big deal to basically have no picks in a draft. Last year at this time this draft was also supposed to be a weak class and it ended up average to slightly above average becasue of the depth. So while it does look like it's not gonna be that strong of a class, things always happen throughout the year to make the classes look stronger.

I would probably have no issue with giving up that many picks for Staal becasue I love him, but it would still be a pretty big deal to deal away all those picks....

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

He's probably my favorite defenseman in the NHL, aside from maybe Jay Bouwmeester.

I'd make Sather an offer he may not be able to refuse to get Marc Staal, but somehow I think Sather would still refuse it. Then I'd try the offer sheet route. Like you said, what's the downside if they match? Lose a trade partner? Start a rivalry with an already-rival?

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

He will be hard to sign. Both Jordan and Eric are borderline overpaid. The Staal brothers just don't take discounts, not that I blame them.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:04 PM
AZPenguins

Quote:

I'd be all for this but didn't the Penguins just trade their 3rd round pick in next year's draft?

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:04 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I'm not opposed to dealing picks for good young players like Staal, but let's not go crazy here with saying its not a big deal to basically have no picks in a draft. Last year at this time this draft was also supposed to be a weak class and it ended up average to slightly above average becasue of the depth. So while it does look like it's not gonna be that strong of a class, things always happen throughout the year to make the classes look stronger.

I would probably have no issue with giving up that many picks for Staal becasue I love him, but it would still be a pretty big deal to deal away all those picks....
Doesn't mean we can't get picks back. We'd have a year to do it. And me thinks if we signed a young Marc Staal, we'd be able to trade, oh Brian Strait, for starters.

Anyways, it's pipe dream stuff but it definitely tickles my fancy.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPenguins View Post
I'd be all for this but didn't the Penguins just trade their 3rd round pick in next year's draft?
Ugh...you are so right. To a team who would NEVER trade it back to us. Not in a million years.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Dan Barr

Rights to Hamhuis + 2011 1st + Despres for Staal?

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:10 PM
lastcupever75
NY Roadkill

rangers are looking for centers

swap of brothers

plus NYR add some

lastcupever75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post

I don't remember hearing that. In fact I'm pretty sure that the depth in this year's draft has been touted for some time. 2011, meanwhile, has looked relatively barren outside of the top few picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPenguins View Post
Hmm, true. Though I'm sure the Pens could re-acquire it if they made the right offer.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Marc Staal on the Pens is obviously a very juicy prospect, but he is one of those RFA's we really don't have a chance at, I think. Rangers simply cannot let him get away, and will cut lots of players before doing so.

Instead, we should be focusing on Hjalmarsson still, because Chicago have lots of players they have to prioritize over him and will have a much harder time matching... well, anything. At the same time Hjalmarsson would only cost a 2nd rounder in compensation in case Chicago indeed doesn't match.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:39 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Marc Staal on the Pens is obviously a very juicy prospect, but he is one of those RFA's we really don't have a chance at, I think. Rangers simply cannot let him get away, and will cut lots of players before doing so.

Instead, we should be focusing on Hjalmarsson still, because Chicago have lots of players they have to prioritize over him and will have a much harder time matching... well, anything. At the same time Hjalmarsson would only cost a 2nd rounder in compensation in case Chicago indeed doesn't match.
What kind of dman is he?

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:49 PM
vecens24

Quote:
I don't remember hearing that. In fact I'm pretty sure that the depth in this year's draft has been touted for some time. 2011, meanwhile, has looked relatively barren outside of the top few picks.

Hmm, true. Though I'm sure the Pens could re-acquire it if they made the right offer.
I defitniely remember hearing after last year's class that this one wasn't that strong. Could have just been in comparison to last year's strong class though.

2011 defintiely looks barren right now, but there's no reason that there can't be guys that step up...it's jsut too early in the process to tell is my point.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
What kind of dman is he?
A young Hamhuis clone. Only with a bigger frame.
Hamhuis is better because he is more experienced and makes fewer positional mistakes. Hjalmarsson's ceiling is higher.

Old
06-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Yeah, especially since we could add Superintendent Hjalmars to our growing collection of Simpsons characters - clearly a priority for our organization.

Old
06-28-2010, 12:09 AM
invictus

Quote:
Yeah, especially since we could add Superintendent Hjalmars to our growing collection of Simpsons characters - clearly a priority for our organization.
Dude, nice.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:22 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

You'd have to offer over $4.5 mil to get him I owuld imagine

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:23 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
supernintendo

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:26 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
A young Hamhuis clone. Only with a bigger frame.
Hamhuis is better because he is more experienced and makes fewer positional mistakes. Hjalmarsson's ceiling is higher.
What would he be looking for? 3M long term? perhaps we can have both him, and Hamhuis? or what i would love...him and Volchenkov!

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
You'd have to offer over $4.5 mil to get him I owuld imagine
Here's why that is most likely off by a good margin (remember to add 4 million in bonuses they have to carry):

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=11

Unless they trade Seabrook, of course.... but they'll be loath to do that.

Old
06-28-2010, 03:33 AM
GnomE

The problem is that you can only make offer sheets some time in mid July (or something like that iirc). Which means you can't be involved in a UFA market (losing Gonch, Hamhuis e.t.c). By that time, if you miss Hjalmarsson and Stahl, you are left with Satans and Fedotenkos.
So, offer sheets are only if you get screwed/screw up in the UFA period...kind of what happened to Edmonton a couple years ago.

Last edited by GnomE: 06-28-2010 at 03:51 AM.
GnomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:30 AM
AZPenguins

Not sure if this 100% correct but it looks right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offer_sheet

Quote:
Restricted NHL free agents can discuss new contracts with other teams beginning on the day after that season's draft. Discussions must stop if a player accepts a contract from his own team or is confirmed to go into arbitration with his team, be it player- or team-filed.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:41 AM
GnomE

What do you think they mean by "discuss". To actually issue the offer sheet?
If that is the case, then my logic was flawed. The reason that teams made offer sheets after the UFA period was because they wanted to go the UFA way first.

GnomE is offline   Reply With Quote