HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Maroon playing for Team USA Inline Team

Old
07-02-2010, 04:53 PM
mpHoff

vCash: 500
Anyone who is getting upset over somebody enjoying their life and doing what they want in their spare time is taking things a little too seriously. He shows up to work and does his job, and in his spare time he may do as he chooses.

mpHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 08:51 AM
PF

Looks like USA beat Canada in the semi with Maroon scoring a couple of goals. They'll play the Czechs in the final.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 09:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Weird. You guys remember Pro Beach Hockey? They gotta bring that back!!!
I legitimately enjoyed watching that.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:35 PM
PhilaFlyers

USA beat the Czechs 4-3 in the championship, Maroon had a goal and an assist.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:52 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash22 View Post
Does not surprise me at all. The level of competition in this tournament is outstanding.

The majority of the players play in the top ice leagues in Europe.
Wow, you're not kidding:

Rickard Wallin (TOR/NHL)
Pat Maroon (PHI/AHL)
Chris Terry (ABY/AHL)
Dick Axelsson (Farjestad/SEL)
Patrick Reimer (DEG/Germany)
Daniel Wessner (Norway)
Andreas Svensson (Sweden Div-1)

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Jester

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/story/index.php?id=3136

Quote:
Vancouver Canucks confirmed Friday that defenceman Sami Salo suffered an Achilles tear while training and is out indefinitely pending further evaluation.

Reports out of Finland indicate Salo suffered the injury while playing "floor ball", a high-end floor hockey game.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 01:14 PM
FlyerEra2010

Oh, they won? Yay, good for Maroon.

FlyerEra2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:18 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Isnt Salo sort of made of glass though? Haha, whenever I read about him, he always seems to be injured.

There's a risk of injury in everyday life. No one would have fun if they were afraid of getting hurt all the time.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
Isnt Salo sort of made of glass though? Haha, whenever I read about him, he always seems to be injured.

There's a risk of injury in everyday life. No one would have fun if they were afraid of getting hurt all the time.
Not everyone's career is entirely dependent upon their ability to physically perform it. I don't begrudge 'em having fun (and in Salo's case, whatever, he's gotten a lot of cash), but I really think these AHLers and whatnot are making a mistake by exposing themselves in competitive tournaments.

Old
07-23-2010, 04:58 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Not everyone's career is entirely dependent upon their ability to physically perform it. I don't begrudge 'em having fun (and in Salo's case, whatever, he's gotten a lot of cash), but I really think these AHLers and whatnot are making a mistake by exposing themselves in competitive tournaments.
Professional sports have changed in the last generation to the point where it's imperative you stay physical in the off-season... to the point where many guys are playing their sport 12 months of the year. Everyone's at risk in 'practice', sure, but it's a price young guys or bottom talent are willing to pay to give them the edge in cracking a line up.

In Salo's case, it just follows his 'comedy of errors' career; he has had some of the most bizarre injuries I've ever seen.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Professional sports have changed in the last generation to the point where it's imperative you stay physical in the off-season... to the point where many guys are playing their sport 12 months of the year. Everyone's at risk in 'practice', sure, but it's a price young guys or bottom talent are willing to pay to give them the edge in cracking a line up.

In Salo's case, it just follows his 'comedy of errors' career; he has had some of the most bizarre injuries I've ever seen.
You can stay in shape without playing in a competitive international tournament... and you're never going to be 100% not exposed to injury, but that seems to be a bit too much of a risk. Take Maroon, for example, he's on a 500k/60k split contract this year. Now, I don't think anyone expects him to make the team out of camp, but he should be a call up this year (IMO, if he's not that's a bad sign for his future with this organization). An injury over the summer that derails his training camp and season could screw that up, and cost him a significant amount of money.

Old
07-23-2010, 05:19 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
You can stay in shape without playing in a competitive international tournament... and you're never going to be 100% not exposed to injury, but that seems to be a bit too much of a risk. Take Maroon, for example, he's on a 500k/60k split contract this year. Now, I don't think anyone expects him to make the team out of camp, but he should be a call up this year (IMO, if he's not that's a bad sign for his future with this organization). An injury over the summer that derails his training camp and season could screw that up, and cost him a significant amount of money.
There will always be an element of risk in any off-season workout activity and, yes, a competitive tournament probably elevates the risk. On the other hand, playing in a competitive tournment helps retain muscle memory better than light on ice workouts during the summer.

When I played competitive hockey, the difference was noticeable between the years when I stopped playing hockey in the summers and the years when I played through the summers.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 05:54 PM
CanadianFlyersFan18

Let the man have his fun. Its no different from Olympic hockey with the risk involved. Competitive inline is a great way to stay in shape and keep your hockey skills over the summer. Correct me if I'm wrong but Fat-Pat is known for his slick hands and ability to stick handle correct? Well I can its a 90% chance he developed those skills playing inline because the sport focuses more on personal skills and dangles. Honestly Hockey Canada and Hockey USA? should use inline as a development tool because it is a great asset for any player at any level

CanadianFlyersFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I legitimately enjoyed watching that.
Those were definitely the glory days of ESPN 2

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Dash22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Wow, you're not kidding:

Rickard Wallin (TOR/NHL)
Pat Maroon (PHI/AHL)
Chris Terry (ABY/AHL)
Dick Axelsson (Farjestad/SEL)
Patrick Reimer (DEG/Germany)
Daniel Wessner (Norway)
Andreas Svensson (Sweden Div-1)
Every player on Germany usually plays in the German Elite League.

Dash22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 07:35 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash22 View Post
Every player on Germany usually plays in the German Elite League.
The top level inline talent is ridiculously good. I've been pretty heavy into inline my entire life and have had the pleasure of seeing/playing against a few of those guys. A lot of ice players tend to rag on inline but the really aren't even comparable games...like at all.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 05:18 AM
ilovetheflyers8

There isn't much to this but starting at 2:08 Maroon says he went to participate in roller hockey in order to work on his skills (I'm assuming stick handling? edit: it could mean anything), and that he aims to make the Flyers roster out of camp.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 07-29-2010 at 06:29 AM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2010, 05:46 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
What, you don't think these guys are insured?

Jester i agree with most of the things you say, but you are so far off the point on this one. As has been said, there is a pretty damn good chance maroon developed his stick handling playing this sport. He might not even be a prospect if it wasn't for inline.

You honestly think players like giroux, briere and whatnot don't have a couple of games of pick up back home.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote