Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2010

Old
06-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Kari Takko

vCash: 500
Free Agency 2010

Free agency begins Thursday @ Midnight. We don't have a ton of cap space. However, we've got some holes to fill and there might be some good fits.

Who do you want?
Who do you think we can get, realistically?
Do you think we'll make any trades?
Where are the big guns going to end up?

Let's start talking about how this team is going to shape up next season...

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Kari Takko

Personally, I think an affordable option that would help us out quite a bit is Matthew Lombardi. We can probably get him for around 3-3.5 per, and he'd instantly improve our PK, team speed, and he'd also help solidify the pivot position.

Old
06-27-2010, 10:06 PM
BigT2002

Matt Cullen
Mike Modano (short term solve for center)

Thats honestly all I can think of.....

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
mnwildgophers

Lombardi will probably get a good deal from somewhere else as center depth is very thin, but either him for a reasonable deal or Matt Cullen would be a good upgrade to get. I'd like to see him in a Wild uni for a season or two.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:50 PM
J22

vCash: 814
I might get flamed for saying this but I really do think Olli Jokinen would be a good fit for the Wild.
From what I have read it seems like he could be had for around 3mill a year. At that price i dont see how he wouldnt improve the Wilds center situation.

If Bouchard does come back Jokinen might be the shooter he's been missing since Rolston left. Throw Kobasew on the other wing and that would be a pretty solid 3rd line. If Bouchard cant come back put Jokinen between Havlat and Lattendresse, and have a bottom 6 of some combination of Brodziak,Almond,Sheppard,Wellman,Kobasew,Clutterbu ck, and Staubitz.

Personally I feel Granlund wil spend next year in Finland but i do think he will be ready to come over the following year, so I am not sure a top 6 center is as big of a need as it was 2 weeks ago.

Brunette - Koivu - Miettinen
Lattendresse - ? - Havlat
Kobasew - Jokinen - Bouchard
Clutterbuck - ? - Staubitz
Let Brodziak Sheppard and Almond split time between the 2nd and 4th lines and see if anybody clicks on the 2nd line. I would also like to sign a guy like Asham or Konopka to add some depth to the bottom 6 that would allow Wellman to get top 6 time in houston.

Burns - Barker
Zidlicky - Zanon
Schultz - Stoner
The D is pretty much set but i would like to sign a cheap Hnidy type to allow the kids to play everyday in Houston and not spend a valuable year in the press box.

J22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 11:53 PM
MK9

Cullen is interesting.

And I know a lot of folks are down on the guy, but with the right fit I think he can regain form, put up some points. But, Olli Jokinen I think could be had for cheap, be a decent #2.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 12:28 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Cullen is interesting.

And I know a lot of folks are down on the guy, but with the right fit I think he can regain form, put up some points. But, Olli Jokinen I think could be had for cheap, be a decent #2.
I wanted him at the deadline but the Sens were going to pay up more to the liking at that time. I seriously wouldn't object to Modano coming up and playing here. You know he would do it too. Get him in there between Latendresse and Havlat and see what happens with someone with that type of vision and skating, even if he won't play those type of minutes. Plus....he'll basically be bought for peanuts compared to what others will be throwing out there for the Kovy's

Old
06-28-2010, 01:09 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Lombardi will probably get a good deal from somewhere else as center depth is very thin, but either him for a reasonable deal or Matt Cullen would be a good upgrade to get. I'd like to see him in a Wild uni for a season or two.
I like both but I think both will cost too much for us, 3+mil each due to a weak FA crop, espicially for centers. I think the only thing we can do is try to use PMB as center or get a Belanger-type center and sign him for 1-2 years, nothing long.

Anyone know much about Craig Conroy?

Also, what you guys think of Lee Stempniak? For the right price, I wouldn't mind signing him to a short-term deal and put him next to Koivu

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
I wanted him at the deadline but the Sens were going to pay up more to the liking at that time. I seriously wouldn't object to Modano coming up and playing here. You know he would do it too. Get him in there between Latendresse and Havlat and see what happens with someone with that type of vision and skating, even if he won't play those type of minutes. Plus....he'll basically be bought for peanuts compared to what others will be throwing out there for the Kovy's
I think thats an extremely interesting idea. Minnesota fans love him and he knows that, we even did a little tribute his last game against the Wild this year. If he decides he wants to come back, he knows whats he going to get. And he's skilled as well. Give me him short term and that would be good solution for our #2 center shortterm

Old
06-28-2010, 06:32 AM
nickschultzfan

I don't like Cullen because I just see him as a better version of Belanger, but still not a 2nd line center. He'll want at least a 4 year deal, and he'll move around the roster not really fitting in.

I rather go after Saku for a 2-year deal. He would look good between Lats and Havlat. Then, 2 years from now, bring in Granlund when Saku leaves.

And I would sign Jokinen as well. He's still a pure goal scorer. He was expected to set-up Doan and Iginla, which is not the type of player he is. He needs to take 400 shots a season to get his goals. He would look great with Bouchard or Miettinen. And we have plenty of bangers to go to the front of the net while Jokinen shoots. I can definitely see him putting in 25 goals and 60 points on this Wild team.

Those two guys would also not be that expensive. Around 3 million each. That would gives us 1-2m to sign a depth Dman if we wanted to. Leopold might work as a cheaper (1.5m) #6 Dman.

Lats-Saku-Havlat
Kobasew-Jokinen-Bouchard
Bruno-Mikko-Miettinen
Clutterbuck-Brodz-Shep/Stuab

Burns-Schultz
Zannon-Zidlicky
Barker-Leopold
Stoner

Backstrom
Back-up (trade Harding for prospect)

We could make the playoffs with that team. Which is about the most we can expect next season.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I don't like Cullen because I just see him as a better version of Belanger, but still not a 2nd line center. He'll want at least a 4 year deal, and he'll move around the roster not really fitting in.

I rather go after Saku for a 2-year deal. He would look good between Lats and Havlat. Then, 2 years from now, bring in Granlund when Saku leaves.

And I would sign Jokinen as well. He's still a pure goal scorer. He was expected to set-up Doan and Iginla, which is not the type of player he is. He needs to take 400 shots a season to get his goals. He would look great with Bouchard or Miettinen. And we have plenty of bangers to go to the front of the net while Jokinen shoots. I can definitely see him putting in 25 goals and 60 points on this Wild team.

Those two guys would also not be that expensive. Around 3 million each. That would gives us 1-2m to sign a depth Dman if we wanted to. Leopold might work as a cheaper (1.5m) #6 Dman.

Lats-Saku-Havlat
Kobasew-Jokinen-Bouchard
Bruno-Mikko-Miettinen

Burns-Schultz
Zannon-Zidlicky
Barker-Leopold
Stoner

Backstrom

We could make the playoffs with that team. Which is about the most we can expect next season.
Well two things:
#1 Well 3 mil be enough? Because I know this summer's FA crop is really really lacking, so that raises the price

#2 If we do get them 3mil a guy, how will we fit that under the cap? I don't think we have enough space

Old
06-28-2010, 08:17 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircularTheory View Post
Well two things:
#1 Well 3 mil be enough? Because I know this summer's FA crop is really really lacking, so that raises the price

#2 If we do get them 3mil a guy, how will we fit that under the cap? I don't think we have enough space
We have plenty of cap room.

And fans and reporters are forgetting (or never learned) basic economics. Supply = demand in a mostly-closed system like the NHL. Sure, there aren't a ton of top UFAs on the market, but that means there aren't a ton of teams demanding top UFAs With Marleau and Plekanec re-signing, that means two top centers off the market, but also two less teams who are demanding top-6 centers who would be looking for one if those two left .

Most teams already have their top-6 filled with expensive signed players or up-and-coming young players. They won't be looking for Jokinen and Saku. Saku will come down to Anaheim, maybe Washington, and us. Jokinen will come down to probably the same, maybe a few more teams. With us playing in Finland, and being able to deliver top line minutes for both guys, we should be an attractive location.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:18 AM
mikko1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Personally I feel Granlund wil spend next year in Finland but i do think he will be ready to come over the following year, so I am not sure a top 6 center is as big of a need as it was 2 weeks ago.
Granlund will stay in Finland for one season, then he will join Wild's organisation.

mikko1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:44 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I don't think the Wild should do a whole lot outside of cheaper, one to two year deals. In all reality, the Wild likely aren't going to make a very strong push for the playoffs so I believe it would be in their best interest to go after players on those type of contracts and attempt to maximize their value for a decent return by the trading deadline. These are a few guys who I have in mind.

Brendan Morrison, Center | Prior Contract -- $1.5 mill
Alexei Ponikarovsky, Left Wing | Prior Contract -- $2.1 mill
Olli Jokinen, Center | Prior Contract -- $5.2 mill
Vaclav Prospal, Left Wing | Prior Contract -- $1.1 mill
Maxim Afinogenov, Right Wing | Prior Contract -- $.8 mill
Colby Armstrong, Right Wing | Prior Contract -- $2.4 mill
Saku Koivu, Center | Prior Contract -- $2.3 mill
Chris Higgins, Center | Prior Contract -- $2.2 mill
Adam Burish, Right Wing | Prior Contract -- $.7 mill
Marek Svatos, Right Wing | Prior Contract -- $2.0 mill
Mike Modano, Center | Prior Contract -- $3.5 mill
Mike Comrie, Center | Prior Contract -- $1.2 mill
Zbynek Michalek, Defense | Prior Contract -- $1.2 mill
Matthew Lombardi, Center | Prior Contract -- $1.8 mill
Derek Morris, Defense | Prior Contract -- $3.3 mill
Manny Malhotra, Center | Prior Contract -- $.7 mill
Carlo Colaiacovo, Defense | Prior Contract -- $1.3 mill
Willie Mitchell, Defense | Prior Contract -- $3.5 mill

I'd personally like to see the Wild go after players in need of a chance to prove themselves and try to rebuild after a disappointing season. A guy like Chris Higgins was on his way to looking like a nice shooting option at center in Montreal but hasn't looked the same after a terrible year last season in New York and Calgary, in addition to his drop off in the year prior. A one year trial inbetween Latendresse and Havlat may be intriguing. Marek Svatos was looking like a fairly prolific scorer in his early years in Colorado. Perhaps a short term trial on Koivu and Brunnette's line can help him regain his form? Couldn't be much worse than Miettenen. Willie Mitchell is another guy I think the Wild should attempt to go after. He's fairly respected league wide, just coming off of a concussion is going to scare the real contenders away from him. The Wild are in a good position to take a chance like this and build his value back up and then deal him at the deadline.

The most important thing about signings like this is that they will give the youngsters a chance to actually play the minutes we'd like to see them play down the line in their careers. Only in Houston where they can develop their game's further instead of playing bottom minutes with the Wild. As things possibly open up as injuries and trades occur throughout the year, they could be added to the NHL roster.

Andrew Brunette Mikko Koivu Marek Svatos
Gui Latendresse Chris Higgins Martin Havlat
Cal Clutterbuck Pierre-Marc Bouchard Chuck Kobasew
Brad Staubitz Kyle Brodziak Antti Miettinen
- James Sheppard -

Brent Burns Willie Mitchell
Greg Zanon Marek Zidlicky
Cam Barker Nick Schultz
- Clayton Stoner

Niklas Backstrom
Josh Harding

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I don't think the Wild should do a whole lot outside of cheaper, one to two year deals. In all reality, the Wild likely aren't going to make a very strong push for the playoffs so I believe it would be in their best interest to go after players on those type of contracts and attempt to maximize their value for a decent return by the trading deadline. These are a few guys who I have in mind.

I'd personally like to see the Wild go after players in need of a chance to prove themselves and try to rebuild after a disappointing season. A guy like Chris Higgins was on his way to looking like a nice shooting option at center in Montreal but hasn't looked the same after a terrible year last season in New York and Calgary, in addition to his drop off in the year prior. A one year trial inbetween Latendresse and Havlat may be intriguing. Marek Svatos was looking like a fairly prolific scorer in his early years in Colorado. Perhaps a short term trial on Koivu and Brunnette's line can help him regain his form? Couldn't be much worse than Miettenen. Willie Mitchell is another guy I think the Wild should attempt to go after. He's fairly respected league wide, just coming off of a concussion is going to scare the real contenders away from him. The Wild are in a good position to take a chance like this and build his value back up and then deal him at the deadline.

The most important thing about signings like this is that they will give the youngsters a chance to actually play the minutes we'd like to see them play down the line in their careers. Only in Houston where they can develop their game's further instead of playing bottom minutes with the Wild. As things possibly open up as injuries and trades occur throughout the year, they could be added to the NHL roster.

- James Sheppard -

Cam Barker Nick Schultz
- Clayton Stoner

Niklas Backstrom
Josh Harding
I like those ideas a lot. I wouldn't mind seeing Colby Armstrong, Matthew Lombardi, Manny Malholtra, and Zbynek Michalek mixed in there as well. I'm also kind of hoping we can move Harding and then get a cheaper backup for 2 years. Then after the 2 years is up, let Hackett be Backstrom's backup and then give him the reigns in 2013.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Dr Jan Itor

A few quick hits:

I am pro Matt Cullen and anti Olli Jokinen. Cullen on a 3 x $3 contract would be just fine with me. Jokinen seems like a perennial loser to me.

Saku had a chance to come here before and declined. Why would he come here now?

Our top 6 on D is set, but I would also like to see a depth signing so we're not pulling a Robbie Earl with our young D. Let them get comfortable and play REGULARLY in Houston.

Other than that, I don't see a whole lot we can do this summer.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

I really think an experiment with PMB at center is going to fail miserably. He's better off penciled in on the wing, if at all IMO.

Other than that, I largely agree with this providence's FA assessment. My main concern is obtaining servicable depth so Minnesota can keep its prosects in the AHL.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:10 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
I really think an experiment with PMB at center is going to fail miserably. He's better off penciled in on the wing, if at all IMO.
I agree. I just don't see it working out. Nothing about his (healthy) game says to me he's capable of playing center in any system. Just reading things it seems that if he's ready to go, they're going to give him a shot.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:13 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

When you guys are all considering lines and line combinations, you should probably reference Fletcher saying that Mikko likes playing with Antti as his right winger. I don't know how much stock one should put in that, but if Miettinen is on the team, slot him into the RW side of Brunette - Koivu.

I also think Fletcher will extend Antti...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

At this point, really the only person I'd like is Jokinen on a 1-year deal. There aren't any other good, quality centers left and I'd rather not pay $3m+ for another 3rd/4th liner (Cullen, Lombardi, Higgins, Comrie). If Belanger couldn't hang with Havlat and Latendresse, no way any of those guys can (and produce more than 40 points, which is a waste of money at that salary).

We're pretty well set on wings, maybe could add a skill guy if he comes cheap enough, again a 1-year deal would be preferable.

I still think a veteran D-man would be a nice add, Lilja, O'Donnell, and McKee were guys I mentioned earlier.

I'm curious too about Leopold since his name has been mentioned a few times in the past, and a puck mover isn't a bad thing to have at all. He could be a decent replacement for Johnsson, and would be a good top four guy if Barker doesn't work out or if we want an upgrade from Zanon.

Long story short, I think we're probably going to get 2-3 depth guys this summer. It's another transition/showcase year where guys will either have to step up and play better or they will be traded. And we've got a much better chance to improve next summer than this.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Kari Takko

We can't count on PMB to play, let alone play a position he hasn't played in years.

As far as FA's are concerned, Fletch has to figure out if he's going to find a guy he can commit to for a few years, or if we'd be better off waiting this FA period out and go hard after a premier guy next offseason.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

There aren't going to be many premier forward available next season, either...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:36 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
There really isn't going to be many available for a while as long as teams are finding ways to circumvent the cap by signing players to extremely long deals. I think you'll have one or two available per offseason but I think the days of finding good pieces via free agency are long over.

BTW Jarick, there's no chance Higgins gets $3+ million on the open market considering his last two seasons. Lombardi and Cullen? Yes, I agree they will go over that. Comrie is debatable, I believe.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:42 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Lats-Saku-Havlat
Kobasew-Jokinen-Bouchard
Bruno-Mikko-Miettinen

Burns-Schultz
Zannon-Zidlicky
Barker-Leopold
Stoner

Backstrom

Saku isn't coming here sadly. As he was quoted to saying last year, this is Mikko's team and he doesn't want anything to take away from that. So basically the brothers will not play. Same with Leopold. He had the choice to come here and he elected Florida because he wanted to do something different than Minnesota. Blake Wheeler said the same as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

- James Sheppard -

Cam Barker Nick Schultz
- Clayton Stoner

Niklas Backstrom
Josh Harding
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Modano > Higgins

Old
06-28-2010, 10:48 AM
saywut

Right now, I see our line-up as this(as far as I know no one else sees it this way):
Brunette - Koivu - Miettinen
Latendresse - X - Havlat
Kobasew - Sheppard(I'm aware he's promised nothing but IMO Brodziak doesn't fit with Butch) - Bouchard
Staubitz - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
X

Zanon - Zidlicky
Barker - Burns
Schultz - X/Stoner
Stoner/x

Given my theory, we require a #2 center, an extra forward(or 2 if we're carrying 23) capable of playing C, and a #6/7 d-men.

#2 center - The only player we really need to put any serious $$$ towards. There isn't a long-term fit on the UFA market. Players I'd consider possible fits:
Oli Jokinen - I don't think anyone will offer him multiple years. We have a #2C job for him, and can pretty much match any 1 year offer for him. We can use Nolan as an example of a player who we didn't deal because he wanted to stay, but can also promise him that we will move him at the deadline if he so wishes, and we can get value back.
Saku Koivu - With Niedermayer retiring in Anaheim, and Selanne expected to follow, what incentive does he have to return to them? He's was likely a huge influence on Gui during his first couple seasons, given that Gui was a very young player and Koivu was the captain. Plus, there likely will never be an opportunity to play for an NHL team in Finland aside from joining us(Carolina is cutting back). Term may be a problem, as IMO he'll want 3 years, but with his character he'd be an excellent mentor for Granlund and replace Nolan's leadership on this team.
Matt Cullen - Much like Koivu, term may be a problem.
Anyone else isn't a significant upgrade on Brodziak based on what they'll demand salary-wise.

As for the depth guys, I'm not too concerned. I'd certainly consider Ebbett for the 13th forward spot if he's interested, as it would be a 1-way deal that he may not get elsewhere. For d-men, I'd welcome Jamie Sifers back on a 2-way in case Scandella/Prosser push their way onto the team(which I expect Scandella to do), we could send Sifers down.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote