vCash: 50
what about cheechoo at league min?? he just got bought out

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Kari Takko

vCash: 500
Burnside's list of FA forwards.

Burnside gives a good overview of some of the tier 2 and 3 free agent forwards this offseason.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:55 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Same problem for me with Armstrong. If he's not on the 4th line then Kobasew or Bouchard is.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:56 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Somewhere, San Jose is laughing their ***** off.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
No thanks. Seems too much like a DR move. A low risk move, yes, but I'd rather stay away from him.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:00 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
No thank you... the guy can't create crap for himself. Even at league min I want nothing to do with him.

And to think... people used to think I was crazy for calling him the most overrated player in the league just a few years ago.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:02 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Latendresse – Brodziak – Havlat (Projected Goals; 28+17+28 = 73) It’s not a reach to see Latendresse or Havlat hit 28. It’s a reach that Brodziak will reach 17, but with a full season with those two, he’s bound to get close.
Brunette – Koivu – Miettinen (Projected Goals: 24+24+24=72) Small improvements from both Koivu and Miettinen and a slight downgrade for Brunette.
Kobasew – Jokinen – Bouchard (Projected Goals: 21+32+17=70) This is the biggest reach. Kobasew has shown he can be a 20 goal scorer, but with the bulk of defensive work falling on his shoulders here, it may be more realistic to expect 18 like Brodziak. If Jokinen is paired with Bouchard, and they find some chemistry, then Olli getting back to his Florida form isn’t entirely unexpected or a reach. However, those are some pretty big if’s.
Clutterbuck – Konopka – Staubitz (Goals: 11+3+2 = 16) Clutterbuck will not stay on this line all of the time. When there are only three lines rolling, he will get put on one of the lines up top.
Spare: Sheppard/Almond. Both “centers” which can step in at various places in the lines.

Without major changes to our D:
Barker – Burns
Zanon – Zidlicky
Schultz – Stoner – Falk

Backstrom – Harding

Here's my 4 cents... (Ya I know the term is 2 cents but I'm feeling valuable, haha)

1) I got no problem with the above logic... I actually think the Juice (OJ) would fit in really well in Minnesota. I believe he really wants to redeem himself & show what he can do, and I also think that we could provide a linemate combo that really suits him. My only question is would he be interested in coming here!? I would hope so, but I'm truley amazed by how many players shun the Wild... We seem to have a bad stigma in the league, lingering effects of the Lemaire era perhaps? I don't know, but I will say I get a little but hurt when players pick Florida, Columbus & Phoenix over us... I would think we would be a prized location, but I guess that's not the case.. Maybe I just have homer glasses on...

2) I asked on Wild.com if we'd have an interest in letting Modano finish his career in Minnesota & that idea got hosed over there! I see here that it's not as shunned of idea, but I think that he definitly wouldn't do any harm to our team! Especially if we could get him cheap.. I'm not saying he'll be a team savior or anything BUT, if he wants to come her, and it's a good price. I have no problem with making space for him. I think that he could be a good last ditch sffort for a short term center patch. Yes, I know he doesn't fit our lets go younger & gritty, physical model we are trying to create but a 1 to 2 year deal for a solid veteran presence isn't going to break this team...

3) I would also love Colby Armstrong on the Wild or Asham for that matter. I think they would both have solid seasosn for us. I like them, both great character guys!

4) PMB - HAve we heard anymore on his progresss as of yet? I know they said he started light work-outs & reading again, but seriously, if he just now can read again, I can't understand how in any foreseeable future he's going to just stroll back in to playing NHL hockey in just a few short months, let alone at a #2 center psotion. That just seems like a crazy expectation to me. On that note, I don't want to sit around for half a season with 4 million on the shelve hoping he can comeback... I know we don't have many options, but he's got to know that he's really hurting us right now. Can't he just "retire" and then when he's healthy, come out of retitrement & have Fletch just give him an invite to come back and try out for the team!? That way we get our 4 mil back, we don't have to play the waiting game, and PMB still has something to work towards, plus we can create a new contract for him if & when he comes back... I'm probably way off here but I figured I'd throw it out there...

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:06 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

BTW - anyone penciling Sheppard on the roster might be getting ahead of themselves. Fletcher was just recently quoted saying Sheppard is not being given anything come training camp. I think he gets beat out for a roster spot this year, and wouldn't be surprised to even see him clear waivers and end up in Houston.

Old
06-28-2010, 04:08 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It's good to see you can still use the nickname "Juice" for someone with the initials OJ. I would have thought Simpson killed it for everyone.

Old
06-28-2010, 04:21 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
BTW - anyone penciling Sheppard on the roster might be getting ahead of themselves. Fletcher was just recently quoted saying Sheppard is not being given anything come training camp. I think he gets beat out for a roster spot this year, and wouldn't be surprised to even see him clear waivers and end up in Houston.
I agree with that, but he's also said "why risk waiving him?"

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It's good to see you can still use the nickname "Juice" for someone with the initials OJ. I would have thought Simpson killed it for everyone.
Is that a pun!? nice!

as for the nickname "juice", I'm bringing it back!

I'm not letting a few homicides ruin a perfectly good nickname!

se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:31 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I agree with that, but he's also said "why risk waiving him?"
That was last offseason, before he scored 2 goals and 6pts in 64 games in a system he was supposed to breakout in. It was almost a question of whether the Wild would even re-sign him this time around... they got him for his qualifying offer and Shep jumped at it because he knew he'd get less on the open market.

Times have changed for Shep. His outlook is a lot more on the bleak side than it was even just a year ago.

Old
06-28-2010, 04:35 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Is that a pun!? nice!
Oh yeah. No wait, wrong drink.

As for Shep, he's the incumbent for that position but I'd have his name written in pencil.

Old
06-28-2010, 05:21 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I don't think Minnesota is going to be very active in the FA market. They have way too much money tied up to players that are simply dead weight on the team like Barker, Zidlicky, Backstrom, Bouchard, and even to some extent Schultz.

I mean Backstrom is taking up 1/9th. Zidlicky, Barker and Schultz combined are taking up what? 1/5th and either they are in the dog house or do squat for the Wild.

We have too much money sitting on guys that really don't help the team in the future or now.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:37 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
If we decided to fill the second center void via free agency:

1. Matthew Lombardi
2. Matt Cullen
3. Olli Jokinen

If we decided to sign free agent wingers:

1. Colby Armstrong
2. Chris Higgins
3. Lee Stempniak

If we decided to sign free agent defensemen (Wild defensemen seem set in stone for next year but if we trade Burns or Schultz or both):

1. Dan Hamhuis
2. Zbynek Michalek
3. Paul Martin

Obviously, I don't want to sign all nine players. The order for each position is my preference of who I'd sign first if still available.

I didn't list goalies even though I think Harding will be traded because most of the goalies on the market are looking for starting jobs.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I don't think Minnesota is going to be very active in the FA market. They have way too much money tied up to players that are simply dead weight on the team like Barker, Zidlicky, Backstrom, Bouchard, and even to some extent Schultz.

I mean Backstrom is taking up 1/9th. Zidlicky, Barker and Schultz combined are taking up what? 1/5th and either they are in the dog house or do squat for the Wild.

We have too much money sitting on guys that really don't help the team in the future or now.
I find it laughable that you consider Barker and Zidlicky to be dead weight. Barker played about 20 games with the team, after being traded away from a Cup favorite to a mediocre team, and had a bum ankle. The ankle surgery he had this spring has been pretty much ignored while people jump all over him and say he's garbage. Give the guy a real chance next year.

As for Zidlicky, he was 19th in the NHL in defensemen scoring. You can't say that doesn't help the team. Plus, if he was really in the dog house, why did he just get a new contract? He's one of 3 defensemen we have who can move the puck and be quick in transition. His skillset isn't going anywhere.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:10 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

They also won't be active because of some of the previous moves made (Zidlicky's deal, trading for Barker as a long-term answer, etc.) were made in lieu of overpaying for a defenseman on the open market.

Old
06-28-2010, 06:53 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
I find it laughable that you consider Barker and Zidlicky to be dead weight. Barker played about 20 games with the team, after being traded away from a Cup favorite to a mediocre team, and had a bum ankle. The ankle surgery he had this spring has been pretty much ignored while people jump all over him and say he's garbage. Give the guy a real chance next year.

As for Zidlicky, he was 19th in the NHL in defensemen scoring. You can't say that doesn't help the team. Plus, if he was really in the dog house, why did he just get a new contract? He's one of 3 defensemen we have who can move the puck and be quick in transition. His skillset isn't going anywhere.
Incredible hate boner for everyone on the team but basically Lats and Koivu. I respect Kiwi and his opinion though.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:00 PM
MK9

Quote:
I wanted him at the deadline but the Sens were going to pay up more to the liking at that time. I seriously wouldn't object to Modano coming up and playing here. You know he would do it too. Get him in there between Latendresse and Havlat and see what happens with someone with that type of vision and skating, even if he won't play those type of minutes. Plus....he'll basically be bought for peanuts compared to what others will be throwing out there for the Kovy's
Unless it's for a pittance, I can't see Fletch signing a 40 yr old player. I personally have never been a Modano guy and really have no interest in seeing him in a Wild sweater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Those two guys would also not be that expensive. Around 3 million each. That would gives us 1-2m to sign a depth Dman if we wanted to. Leopold might work as a cheaper (1.5m) #6 Dman.
Are you making sure to include in that cap space, money for the Latendresse and Koivu signings? My bet is they might find a center for around 3-4 mil. A winger for 1-2 and a cheap defenseman.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:09 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

My only thing with Jokinen is that if you're going to be interested in taking him on, it's going to have to be more than a year stop gap player with the possible intention on moving him by the deadline. He's going to need to be a mid-term type of player who can contribute for a few seasons.

My reasoning is basically that he has the reputation league-wide of being a player that tends to implode teams. Whether that's deserved or not. I would say that there's a chance that teams with playoff aspirations would shy away from him simply because they don't want that type of player.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:19 PM
State of Hockey

I don't mind doing little to nothing this free agent period. Whatever we do, I'd like to see short contracts--2/3 years or less unless we're talking about getting a top guy. I'm OK with taking a chance on Jokinen, just as long as it's a 1-year deal.

My short list of players I'm interested in is this:
1. Kovalchuk - the only player that can turn around this franchise without having to build through the draft.
2. Martin - screw the big money we have on defense already. We need him, and he's not too old for a long-term solution.
3. Jokinen - the only guy I see filling the #2 center spot, so what the heck.
4. Lombardi - probably will out-price himself from Minnesota, but he'd be a great addition at center with his excellent speed and two-way ability. He also has the potential of being a #2 center as his game progresses. Prime age too.
5. Koivu - if wants to come this time, get him.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:23 PM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post

Latendresse – Brodziak – Havlat
(Projected Goals; 28+17+28 = 73) It’s not a reach to see Latendresse or Havlat hit 28. It’s a reach that Brodziak will reach 17, but with a full season with those two, he’s bound to get close.
Brunette – Koivu – Miettinen (Projected Goals: 24+24+24=72) Small improvements from both Koivu and Miettinen and a slight downgrade for Brunette.
Kobasew – Jokinen – Bouchard (Projected Goals: 21+32+17=70) This is the biggest reach. Kobasew has shown he can be a 20 goal scorer, but with the bulk of defensive work falling on his shoulders here, it may be more realistic to expect 18 like Brodziak. If Jokinen is paired with Bouchard, and they find some chemistry, then Olli getting back to his Florida form isn’t entirely unexpected or a reach. However, those are some pretty big if’s.
Clutterbuck – Konopka – Staubitz (Goals: 11+3+2 = 16) Clutterbuck will not stay on this line all of the time. When there are only three lines rolling, he will get put on one of the lines up top.
Spare: Sheppard/Almond. Both “centers” which can step in at various places in the lines.
Where do you put Wellman in this scenario?

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I don't mind doing little to nothing this free agent period. Whatever we do, I'd like to see short contracts--2/3 years or less unless we're talking about getting a top guy. I'm OK with taking a chance on Jokinen, just as long as it's a 1-year deal.

My short list of players I'm interested in is this:
1. Kovalchuk - the only player that can turn around this franchise without having to build through the draft. - Not happening. They're not going to spend this kind of money.
2. Martin - screw the big money we have on defense already. We need him, and he's not too old for a long-term solution. - Also not happening. See above.
3. Jokinen - the only guy I see filling the #2 center spot, so what the heck.
4. Lombardi - probably will out-price himself from Minnesota, but he'd be a great addition at center with his excellent speed and two-way ability. He also has the potential of being a #2 center as his game progresses. Prime age too.
5. Koivu - if wants to come this time, get him.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:25 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK9 View Post
Where do you put Wellman in this scenario?
I would assume Houston since that's where he should probably start the season anyway.

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:33 PM
State of Hockey

MK: I agree that the chances are slim, but I'm not going to give them a free pass because they could easily be in position to make a run for either of them. In fact they could be dealing right now to open up more room.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
MK: I agree that the chances are slim, but I'm not going to give them a free pass because they could easily be in position to make a run for either of them. In fact they could be dealing right now to open up more room.
This would be ideal.

And o clarify what I said about Barker and Zidlicky, I just think Barker has had a full shot at showing us who he is. It probably took some time to learn the system, his new partner, the town, etc. I realize Lats had a great time of it here from the get go but in my mind that's a different situation plus defensemen have a harder go of it when learning new partners and systems.

Regarding Zidlicky, I could see him staying for another couple seasons and then being dealt with 2 years left on his contract. IIRC, his deal has a NTC for the first half. If its for the second half then disregard this but what he brings can't really be replaced right now so it made sense to extend his deal. Once we have an internal replacement or a better option comes available via trade or FA, I see him being moved fairly quickly. If his NTC is for the second half, then hopefully we find a replacement sooner.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote