Free Agency 2010

Old
06-28-2010, 09:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I would assume Houston since that's where he should probably start the season anyway.
I'll miss him, but it's true. Almond should be the 13th or 14th forward over Casey at the moment, although there is still training camp to decide that.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:55 AM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I'll miss him, but it's true. Almond should be the 13th or 14th forward over Casey at the moment, although there is still training camp to decide that.
Neither should be on the team to sit in the pressbox. Thats what low-end UFAs are for.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
MK9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Neither should be on the team to sit in the pressbox. Thats what low-end UFAs are for.
Agreed. If they're on the fringe at the end of camp, send them down to Houston. Just let them be the call ups if / when needed.

MK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:35 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
I don't really see Almond being a guy that's worth protecting. If he can be the 13th forward and help out the team when Shep needs some press box time, then great. If not, he can be in Houston helping out the Aeros.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I see him as having enough upside to be a 3rd line center. I'd rather see him play 15-20 minutes a night and on special teams in Houston than play 40 games a year up here.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:49 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Time to bring Sully back home? Edmonton just waived the kid.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:52 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
No thanks.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
No thanks.
Couldn't hurt and would be relatively cheap. He did have 34 points on a bad Edmonton team.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
No, he's still down on the list of people to bring in.

Quote:
Couldn't hurt and would be relatively cheap. He did have 34 points on a bad Edmonton team.
And RyPo, a player who I should be more biased to wanting to have on the team, had 32. Either way, that's pretty sad for O'Sullivan.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:00 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Couldn't hurt.
Actually, it could hurt a lot.

Just say no.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
I'd consider O'Sullivan for Bouchard. Then do the usual plan (sign Jokinen, Saku Koivu, and Leopold).

Bruno-Koivu-O'Sullivan
Kobasew-Jokinen-Miettinen
Lats-Saku-Havlat

Eh. Maybe not.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:29 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
No, he's still down on the list of people to bring in.

And RyPo, a player who I should be more biased to wanting to have on the team, had 32. Either way, that's pretty sad for O'Sullivan.
I don't see a lot of players the Wild can bring in that won't screw up their cap space in the future.

Meh, it's pretty sad for Edmonton but then again they had the first pick.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:29 PM
BuddyMcCormick

I would mind seeing them sign him to a 1-year low salary deal. I'm not exactly cheering for it either, but the way I look at it he's a center. We need centermen and the kid has shown at least some skill while being in the NHL. Could put him between Havs and Lats and see what kind of chaos they create. Me might not be the best defensively but sometimes the best defense is a good offense?

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:31 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I'm also going to preemptively say no to Aaron Voros and Todd Fedoruk.

Old
06-29-2010, 01:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I don't see a lot of players the Wild can bring in that won't screw up their cap space in the future.

Meh, it's pretty sad for Edmonton but then again they had the first pick.
Let's put it this way: would you be clamoring for O'Sullivan if he wasn't drafted by the Wild?

Old
06-29-2010, 01:47 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Let's put it this way: would you be clamoring for O'Sullivan if he wasn't drafted by the Wild?
Yep =) Still think he has some upside to his game and he's a decent enough center/winger.

Think of this way; we don't know if Bouchard is coming back, so we have to keep 4 million off the books for now. We also have to assume Koivu is going to get at least a major extension in between 5.5-6 million a year. Which means that'll limit what we can spend next year, so a long term contract with a free agent must be considered.

We have 12 million in cap space to fill...Well a few things. Unless we consider bringing up a rookie or two.

We have at forward:

Havlat, Koivu, Kobasew, Miettinen, Brunette, Clutterbuck, Brodziak, Sheppard, and Staubitz.

Koivu, Brodziak, and Sheppard are centers, so we need to bring one in or even two centers to create competition with Sheppard. We can use Wellman but I believe most use him on wing but also a year in the AHL might not hurt him.

Havlat, Miettinen, Brunette man our left side, which isn't bad. (Bouchard if he comes back)

Clutterbuck, Kobasew, Lats and Staubitz man our right.

Now we can bring Almond and Wellman up but our centers will look like crap.

I'm going to pencil in we need at 2-3 forwards (2 centers, one winger if Bouchard starts out the year on the IRL, or just 2 centers if not). I am going to assume Wellman and Sheppard will be fighting for that last spot.

Lats will more than likely get around 2 million a year. So we got 10 million to spend now.

Now we have 10 forwards if Lats is signed (11 if Bouchard comes back) and around 10-11 million to sign some forwards and a defenseman and a backup goaltender.

We also have to give ourselves a cushion so we don't budge directly up to the game.

Defense looks fine with Schultz, Zidlicky, Zanon, Burns, Barker, and Stoner...we can grab a depth defenseman for around 750,000 a year.

Now back up goaltender is going to be Harding. He made 1.1 million last year. Let's keep it at that.

So now it's around 9-10 million for two forwards and a defenseman. Minus the defenseman around 8-9 million for two forwards assuming we go up against cap...so around 4-5 million a piece. But then again do we want to spend up against the cap? And have a couple of LT contracts?

Old
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Yes but you can find a better player for the $2-3 million O'Sullivan will cost.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:05 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Yes but you can find a better player for the $2-3 million O'Sullivan will cost.
Who says Sully will cost that much?

Pouliot is only making 1.2 million or so...

Old
06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

It's all relative to what they were earning and to what someone will pay. O'Sullivan got bought out of a $3 million contract. That's the difference between him and Pouliot, who got a $500,000 raise in a one-year deal. While no one will pay the $3 million (especially after being bought out), the upside will definitely warrant paying half to two-thirds of the original salary. That's at least what any good agent would argue.

Old
06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
BuddyMcCormick

I was figuring that O'Sully would probably get a contract for around a mill. Give or take 600k. Which isn't terrible. It could be movable depending on how he plays.

When he played in LA during the '07-'08 season he put up 53 points, in 82 games. Which was roughly around .646 points per game. While mostly playing with Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar. (Decent linemates )

In continuation during the '08-'09 season he put up 37 points in 62 games (.596pts/game). While mostly playing with Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown/Alexander Frolov (They were about an even split).

In comparison when he was traded to the Oilers, he dipped down to .315 for the rest of that season. Then in '09-'10 he managed to put up 34 points in 73 games (.463pts/game) His linemates were primarily Shawn Horcoff and Jean-Francois Jacques.

Assuming that he could get back to .5+ points per game I think that would be a serviceable number 2 center for our team and if he comes within the price I mentioned above it wouldn't cripple this team via salary cap.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:28 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

TSK; I feel the need to correct you on a few things.

Miettinen, while probably more comfortable on the left, has been playing right wing for the Wild since he was brought in. There was a stint last season when he was playing on the "checking" line on the left side, however, he also played on the right wing for Dallas.

Havlat has also been typically on the right wing side. He and Sykora tried to switch sides to get Petr happy, but it didn’t really work for Havlat.
While he was with Boston, Kobasew was also typically a right winger.
Bouchard is incapable of playing on the left wing side. He proved that during the Florida road trip Lemaire’s last season.
Latendresse was a right winger in Montreal and has been playing “out” of position on the left side since he was traded.

The only “true” LW is Brunette. Go back to any of the historical footage of Brunette and he is always on the left wing. Also, of note, he scores a lot of goals on his back-hand and his stick barely has any curve to the blade.

All this means, is that much like last off-season, we are still very weak on the left wing side.

If you look at the players historically:
Centers: Koivu, Brodziak
Right Wing: Bouchard, Havlat, Latendresse, Miettinen, Clutterbuck, Kobasew, Staubitz
Left Wing: Brunette.

Edit; This is not me saying this is where they will end up. This is my pointing out that people like Havlat and Bouchard have always been Right Wingers while Lats has been playing "out of position" since he came to the Wild. I'm not opposed to playing a winger on the opposite side, unless of course, they look like a lost little puppy like Bouchard did in Florida...

Old
06-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

All very good points, but I will say I like Lats at LW because he's strong on the boards on his forehand and tends to drive the net! I know in his interview he said it's easier to shoot on the off wing, but then I think he'd take weaker shots from higher out rather than driving the net. Just a thought.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:37 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
That's 2 different teams saying the kid is no good... I tend to agree. No thanks.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:43 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I wouldn’t mind messing with the lines a little bit more. In a practice situation, I would try things like;

Miettinen – Koivu – Latendresse

Just to see if it gels…

Old
06-29-2010, 02:45 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
That's 2 different teams saying the kid is no good... I tend to agree. No thanks.
Well that's like saying two different teams saying no to Havlat. Or two different teams saying no to Brunette.

I mean there is difference in philosophy.