HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

What's next on Tallon's to-do list?

Old
06-28-2010, 05:04 PM
Rattrick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Thats what I am saying. We need to just wait until next offseason. Maybe we get a shot at a top pick again, which wouldnt be a bad thing, and add the pieces through free agency. We have a cap hit of $22 million next offseason, and if Tallon is allowed to spend $25-30 million to sign our RFAs and some UFAs, we could really see the end of a decade+ drought. I just think its foolish to go out and try to patch things up this offseason, when its evident that would be in a much better position come next offseason. Next offseason should be what this offseason means to the Miami Heat.
That's what I've been saying all along -- which is why I wanted to trade Vokoun while his value is high. I'm still hoping we can get something for him at the deadline.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
probably a bit premature but just to give an idea of quality players who will be free agents after this season;

Patrice Bergeron, Zedno Chara, Brad Richards, Mikko Koivu, Andrei Markov, JP Dumont, Simon Gagne, Joe Thornton, David Backes, Martin St. Lous(34), Christian Ehrhoff, Alexander Semin, Brooks Laich

Those are the best guys out there, imo. I would think Boston tries to sign Chara, same with Markov. Everyone else I could see making it to free agency. Obviously a little early to be speculating but a good reason to why we shouldn't waste money to get a guy like Lombardi.
Miikko Koivu would be my top priority. David Backes would be nice too. I think Bergeron will stay in Boston and most of the others are too old.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Holy Jokinen

I could see us signing Malhotra this year.

John Madden would be cool, but probably too expensive..

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I'd be very comfortable betting at least half those guys don't make it to free agency.
Like I said, it's early but all we need is one of the quality centers to make it and we have a shot at signing them b/c we'll have plenty of money. The bigger question is whether the team is willing to pay. You never know if players are looking to cash in.

Last edited by RainingRats: 06-28-2010 at 05:58 PM.
RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Blacksheep71

I think personally it will be very difficult to sign any decent UFAs unless a team is in cap trouble. If the team leaves them as a UFA and doesn't try to resign them or trade them to get some value back, I'd rather not take them on due to concerns as to why. Personally I'd rather Tallon surprise the team in the draft with the following couple of picks, after reading some scouting reports.

D Adam Larsson (Skellefteć, Elitserien)

Chasing the Elitserien's record for points by a U20 player throughout most of the year, it would come as a shock to anyone not familiar with Swedish mega-talent AdamLarsson to learn he's not the puck-rushing demon you'd expect. While a respectable skater for his 6'3, 209 lbs frame, Larsson is simply the safest player you'll ever see play the game at his age. Don't take that to mean he takes the easy way out; rather than merely work to get the puck out of his end safely,Larsson will constantly make the right play- be it a break-out pass or quick sortie out of his zone- in order to get the puck safely to a teammate. If he can't, the 16-year-old is content to use his big frame and deceptive agility to protect the puck while waiting for re-enforcements.

Compared to Ray Bourque by a noted Swedish commentator, Larsson proved earlier this year that he's capable of playing his game on smaller ice. He was a dominant factor in Tre Kronor exhibition games against Canadian universities, drawing praise from the commentators to the players themselves. Defensively flawless, he was also leaned on to provide offense during thepowerplay and proved he could move the puck effectively. Larsson is perhaps the best pro prospect to emerge on defense in twenty years- with him, there's no talk of potential, of improving this or that area. He's simply ready for the NHL, and may have been last year.

C Victor Rask (Leksand, Swe-J20)

Scouts have constantly been on the look-out for the next Peter Forsberg. And although some have elements that remind watchers of 'Peter the Great'- whether it be Magnus Paajarvi's stellar puck control or Nicklas Backstrom's vision- none has brought the combination of size, creativity and hockey sense required to harken the complete game Forsberg once used to dominate the NHL.

Well, until now. A 6'2 center who potted 22 goals and 41 points to lead an otherwise tepid Leksand squad, Swede Victor Rask can simply beat you any way you want to play him. A deceptive skater who leverages bursts of speed to their maximum advantage, it's not uncommon to see the big center hold the offensive zone himself as he combines his brute strength and soft hands to retain control of the puck.Rask is at home in the trenches, and prides himself on battling as hard away from biscuit as he does when it is on his stick. A giftedplaymaker who can make dead-accurate passes through traffic, Rask's lone weakness may be the lack of a truly elite shot. Still, it's a mishmash of talents and traits few teams can boast down the middle.

Rask is good. Showed a real nose for the net during the SuperElit season, real dirty goal-scorer. However, whenever he's thrown on a Tre Kronor sweater he's turned into a playmaker. There was all that hype about Lander last year aka next Zetterberg, but Rask is a gritty, strong character guy who loves to battle for position and make stuff happen. Deceptive acceleration.

Develop our own such be the motto at BankAtlantic. Both could be Day1 starters

Blacksheep71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:58 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
That's what I've been saying all along -- which is why I wanted to trade Vokoun while his value is high. I'm still hoping we can get something for him at the deadline.
I hoping a good team has an injured goalie because right now there doesn't look to be many options for Vokoun. Even Philly is on the hunt for a goalie this offseason. Best bet for Vokoun is a first round pick but I wouldn't be surprised if we only got a second and a prospect.

Old
06-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
I hoping a good team has an injured goalie because right now there doesn't look to be many options for Vokoun. Even Philly is on the hunt for a goalie this offseason. Best bet for Vokoun is a first round pick but I wouldn't be surprised if we only got a second and a prospect.
depending on the prospect, but i doubtt tallon would settle with that

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 06:30 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
depending on the prospect, but i doubtt tallon would settle with that
If there is no shot for the playoffs then everything has to go. McCabe, Stillman, Dvorak, and Vokoun have no reason to be here to finish out the season. The more picks the better.

Keep in mind, we're assuming Vokoun's value based on last season. With the way the roster is shaping up it's doubtful his value is close to where it was at last season's deadline.

Old
06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
If there is no shot for the playoffs then everything has to go. McCabe, Stillman, Dvorak, and Vokoun have no reason to be here to finish out the season. The more picks the better.

Keep in mind, we're assuming Vokoun's value based on last season. With the way the roster is shaping up it's doubtful his value is close to where it was at last season's deadline.
Yup, exactly!

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:23 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:

I can't speak to Vokoun's value, but the other 3 will have much more value at the deadline, unless they get injured. Goalie value is volatile and it could be better or worse at the deadline, depending on the contending teams.

I can see us easily having another monster draft in 2011 since I believe those 4 players will bring in a better haul than Seids, Leo, and Moore did. Tallon could also get some prospects that are closer to being NHL ready as well.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 07:31 PM
panthersfan751

Quote:

A top 3 pick would be what we really would need to accelerate the rebuild. Larsson would be a phenomenonal addition to this defense. Couturier or RNH would give us an elite center prospect. Any of them would be a fine addition to this organization.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
I just want loMbardi... 3 years - 3.75 per
If that's all it takes, he's staying in Phoenix. If you want to beat what the Coyotes can offer, AND what the other twenty nine teams might throw out there, you are going to have to give up substantially more than that. He's going to end up somewhere between what Stajan and Plekanec got. Remember, those two signed BEFORE they reached the open market.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 03:51 AM
Gudbranson44

i just hope we dont make the same mistake as last year and give a guy like reino a 3 year contract... yikes.

Old
06-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Blacksheep71

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
A top 3 pick would be what we really would need to accelerate the rebuild. Larsson would be a phenomenonal addition to this defense. Couturier or RNH would give us an elite center prospect. Any of them would be a fine addition to this organization.
This guy would be available maybe slightly lower. Quite like the idea of Forsberg Mk2

Scouts have constantly been on the look-out for the next Peter Forsberg. And although some have elements that remind watchers of 'Peter the Great'- whether it be Magnus Paajarvi's stellar puck control or Nicklas Backstrom's vision- none has brought the combination of size, creativity and hockey sense required to harken the complete game Forsberg once used to dominate the NHL.

Well, until now. A 6'2 center who potted 22 goals and 41 points to lead an otherwise tepid Leksand squad, Swede Victor Rask can simply beat you any way you want to play him. A deceptive skater who leverages bursts of speed to their maximum advantage, it's not uncommon to see the big center hold the offensive zone himself as he combines his brute strength and soft hands to retain control of the puck.Rask is at home in the trenches, and prides himself on battling as hard away from biscuit as he does when it is on his stick. A giftedplaymaker who can make dead-accurate passes through traffic, Rask's lone weakness may be the lack of a truly elite shot. Still, it's a mishmash of talents and traits few teams can boast down the middle.

Rask is good. Showed a real nose for the net during the SuperElit season, real dirty goal-scorer. However, whenever he's thrown on a Tre Kronor sweater he's turned into a playmaker. There was all that hype about Lander last year aka next Zetterberg, but Rask is a gritty, strong character guy who loves to battle for position and make stuff happen. Deceptive acceleration

Old
06-29-2010, 06:29 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
Larsson would be a great addition to Guds, Kuli, Robak, etc., but adding a Couturier or RNH would complete this teams youth movement. All Tallon would have to do next is go out next offseason and add the right free agents, and we will be a playoff team IMO. Yes, we have to go through another season of mediocrity, but it will be well worth it if we are picking 1, 2, or 3 next draft.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep71 View Post
This guy would be available maybe slightly lower. Quite like the idea of Forsberg Mk2

Rask is good. Showed a real nose for the net during the SuperElit season, real dirty goal-scorer. However, whenever he's thrown on a Tre Kronor sweater he's turned into a playmaker. There was all that hype about Lander last year aka next Zetterberg, but Rask is a gritty, strong character guy who loves to battle for position and make stuff happen. Deceptive acceleration
You seem to have an infatuation with Swedes. I think Rask wont even be a top 10 pick at this point. There are some really good players at the top of the 2011 draft. I'd rank them something like:

1. Larsson (D)
2. Couturier (LW)
3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (RW)
4. David Musil (D)
5. Seth Ambroz (F)
6. Matt Puempel (LW)
7. Brandon Saad (LW/RW)
8. Ryan Murphy (D)
9. Duncan Siemens (D)
10. Gabriel Landeskog (RW)
HM: Shane McColgan (RW), Booner Jenner (C), Victor Rask (C)

If I'm outside the top 3, I'd like to grab Brandon Saad. Guy is already got size and skill and very mature. I like that Landeskog is an import (a Swede FWIW) and is playing in the OHL already (scored 46 pts in 61 games) and while not tall at 6'0", he is just over 200 lbs so I would expect him to be able to handle the NHL quite quickly (and expect him to climb the chart next season). Murphy could drop slightly because he's not optimal size at 5'11" but he's got the skills thats for sure.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Gert B Frobe

I'm guessing in this order:

pick up dry cleaning
milk, eggs, bananas
water colors class

or something like that

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:15 AM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

I know it might be a tough year, but the fact is that the next draft is an OFF-year. I know Larsson, Courturier and RNH is at this point good prospects, but after I read this artice: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...king-weak.html it got me thinking that there is not much to gain "tanking". We gotta give this season a shot.

I thought the 2011 draft had top talent in the top 15, but the depth was what gave it the "weak" name. But clearly its an overall weak draft with no top end talent. Couturier is playing in the Q, probably the weakest of the three canadien leagues. Is Larsson any better than Hedman, its just stats. That article really got me thinking if these three guys can be compaired to the other top 3 the last 10 years.

It sounds to me like this is a year to make the playoffs and not think about the draft, even tho we might not have a playoff team squad atm.

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:07 AM
Blacksheep71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
You seem to have an infatuation with Swedes. I think Rask wont even be a top 10 pick at this point. There are some really good players at the top of the 2011 draft. I'd rank them something like:

1. Larsson (D)
2. Couturier (LW)
3. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (RW)
4. David Musil (D)
5. Seth Ambroz (F)
6. Matt Puempel (LW)
7. Brandon Saad (LW/RW)
8. Ryan Murphy (D)
9. Duncan Siemens (D)
10. Gabriel Landeskog (RW)
HM: Shane McColgan (RW), Booner Jenner (C), Victor Rask (C)

If I'm outside the top 3, I'd like to grab Brandon Saad. Guy is already got size and skill and very mature. I like that Landeskog is an import (a Swede FWIW) and is playing in the OHL already (scored 46 pts in 61 games) and while not tall at 6'0", he is just over 200 lbs so I would expect him to be able to handle the NHL quite quickly (and expect him to climb the chart next season). Murphy could drop slightly because he's not optimal size at 5'11" but he's got the skills thats for sure.
Landeskog is a Swede.

I think our current major priority is a No1 Center.

We drafted Bjugstad but he's a few years away. We've drafted Howden but he's more a 3rd line Center. McFarland makes a good second line LW.

It comes down to Jenner v Rask and for me, and I've only see clips of Jenner, Rask is more inclined to get low down and dirty to get the job done.

And I've asked read how the CHL are almost desperate that Rask make himself available for their draft, which suggests that either the CHL has a year of weakness or talent shines through

Last edited by Blacksheep71: 06-29-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old
06-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Blacksheep71

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
I know it might be a tough year, but the fact is that the next draft is an OFF-year. I know Larsson, Courturier and RNH is at this point good prospects, but after I read this artice: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...king-weak.html it got me thinking that there is not much to gain "tanking". We gotta give this season a shot.

I thought the 2011 draft had top talent in the top 15, but the depth was what gave it the "weak" name. But clearly its an overall weak draft with no top end talent. Couturier is playing in the Q, probably the weakest of the three canadien leagues. Is Larsson any better than Hedman, its just stats. That article really got me thinking if these three guys can be compaired to the other top 3 the last 10 years.

It sounds to me like this is a year to make the playoffs and not think about the draft, even tho we might not have a playoff team squad atm.
Larsson is regarded more highly than Hedman. He'd have been picked ahead of any of this 2010 class, and would probably have gone ahead of Hedman if they were in the same class. Hedman has the size advantage, and Larsson the better all around player.

The article does say that the class from the CHL is weak but it could well be that there will be talent from other leagues that make it a decent class.

Old
06-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post

well they always say that about the next year's draft straight after the draft... "oooh this was incredibly good, but next year will not be as good"
they dont know that yet! the guys of next year has played one year less than most guys in this year's draft and next year they will be getting a bigger role on their respective teams. some will perform so well that scouts will say they are better than bla bla bal...
its always the same.. just wait until december when they've had some time to show themself off.
a good example: when burke traded for kessel, him and his colleagues discussed if he was worth a possible position where they could draft hall/seguin (they didnt know they would suck this bad, but they knew they would be bad). They agreed that they'd rather have kessel. thats how great this years prospects looked for him before last season started.

I dont think we should tank from the start though... i think we should really try and make the playoffs and work hard for it, but with the talent we have right now on our roster, we wont go far anyways.... lottery pick, here we come!

Old
06-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep71 View Post
Landeskog is a Swede.

I think our current major priority is a No1 Center.

We drafted Bjugstad but he's a few years away. We've drafted Howden but he's more a 3rd line Center. McFarland makes a good second line LW.

It comes down to Jenner v Rask and for me, and I've only see clips of Jenner, Rask is more inclined to get low down and dirty to get the job done.

And I've asked read how the CHL are almost desperate that Rask make himself available for their draft, which suggests that either the CHL has a year of weakness or talent shines through
Yes and I made mention of Landeskog as a Swede. The difference is he's already in North America learning the small rink and different style of play than over in Euro.

I think priorities (aka needs) can be filled multiple ways and I dont think Tallon will just select someone only based on need. But even if we selected another center next season, they'll also be at least 2-3 yrs from making an impact just like Bjugstad.

More importantly, if you select a Swede like Rask, it generally takes a little more time to adjust as I said to small rinks and a different playing style as a result. He may be more willing to go into traffic areas and battles but thats on a bigger ice surface where he has more room to do that. When there's less room around him, there's going to be questions whether that'll translate quickly in his game to NA.

It would benefit Rask to come over to NA to the CHL so he can start that adjustment. If he's as good as you think he is, it will only help him to get drafted earlier as he'll be able to prove he can do all those things in his scouting report against similar competition and on a smaller surface.

Old
06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
Blacksheep71

Quote:
Yes and I made mention of Landeskog as a Swede. The difference is he's already in North America learning the small rink and different style of play than over in Euro.

I think priorities (aka needs) can be filled multiple ways and I dont think Tallon will just select someone only based on need. But even if we selected another center next season, they'll also be at least 2-3 yrs from making an impact just like Bjugstad.

More importantly, if you select a Swede like Rask, it generally takes a little more time to adjust as I said to small rinks and a different playing style as a result. He may be more willing to go into traffic areas and battles but thats on a bigger ice surface where he has more room to do that. When there's less room around him, there's going to be questions whether that'll translate quickly in his game to NA.

It would benefit Rask to come over to NA to the CHL so he can start that adjustment. If he's as good as you think he is, it will only help him to get drafted earlier as he'll be able to prove he can do all those things in his scouting report against similar competition and on a smaller surface.
I think the issue about ice rink size is a bit of a red herring. Sundin, Forsberg, Henrik Sedin, Backstrom plus others like Kopitar and Malkin, stepped in and stepped up with no acclimitisation in the CHL or AHL

Others like Stefan, Zagrapan and our own Krebs have tanked despite experience in the CHL or equivalent. Others like Mikko Koivu have benefitted from a year in the AHL.

Even at international level, the North Americans were embarassed in Turin on the larger rink, yet were much better in Vancouver, yet the vast majority of the Swedish, Finnish, Czech and Russian rosters play on NHL sized rinks but still performed poorly.

I think if you're good enough, you can step in and step up straight away.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Coolburn

I wonder if there's any way that Tallon can trade for Fleischmann while giving Washington one of our vets? Preferably something like Repik + for Fleischmann might work for both teams. Fleischmann would be a decent enough top 6 center and shouldnt be too expensive to re-sign as a RFA.

Old
06-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Blacksheep71

Quote:
I wonder if there's any way that Tallon can trade for Fleischmann while giving Washington one of our vets? Preferably something like Repik + for Fleischmann might work for both teams. Fleischmann would be a decent enough top 6 center and shouldnt be too expensive to re-sign as a RFA.
I thought Fleishmann is a LW - but even so he'd make a good 2nd line LW.

I'd have though Dadonov would be a better option due to their Russian connections.