HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's next on Tallon's to-do list?

Old
06-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep71 View Post
I thought Fleishmann is a LW - but even so he'd make a good 2nd line LW.

I'd have though Dadonov would be a better option due to their Russian connections.
Fleischmann can play either center or wing. I believe most of his time when he first got to Washington, he played center. And IIRC, he played both center and LW for the Red Wings. We need a center way more than another winger at this point.

I picked Repik because he's not in the good graces of the organization and would give them a cheap winger that is NHL ready. Really I'd like to include Reino in the deal as he'd be expendable then but not sure how that would work for the Caps since the point is they cant afford everyone that needs to be re-signed.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
FlaPanthers7

Would love to see us go after these 2:

Maxim Afinogenov

2009-10 salary: $800,000
2009-10 statistics: 81 GP, 24 G, 37 A, 61 PTS

If a team is looking for a Russian-born sniper, without the high price tag of a Kovalchuk, Afinogenov could well be ‘Plan B' for several teams. Taking a one-year deal with the Thrashers at a discount last season proved to be a shrewd move for ‘Mad Max' as he put together a career year in Atlanta. A streaky player on the scoreboard, Afinogenov can look like an All-World talent one night and be virtually invisible the next. As with virtually every Russian free agent, there is plenty of speculation that a move to the KHL is possible. But Afinogenov would undoubtedly like to build upon his solid season.

Matt Lombardi

2009-10 salary: $2.35 million
2009-10 statistics: 78 GP, 19 G, 34 A, 53 PTS

Speed is the name of Lombardi's game and he is looking to cash-in after a career year in the desert. Lombardi enjoyed a spectacular season with Phoenix and was a big reason the Coyotes were able to celebrate the best season in franchise history. He will likely be on the receiving end of a huge pay raise.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
I know it might be a tough year, but the fact is that the next draft is an OFF-year. I know Larsson, Courturier and RNH is at this point good prospects, but after I read this artice: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...king-weak.html it got me thinking that there is not much to gain "tanking". We gotta give this season a shot.

I thought the 2011 draft had top talent in the top 15, but the depth was what gave it the "weak" name. But clearly its an overall weak draft with no top end talent. Couturier is playing in the Q, probably the weakest of the three canadien leagues. Is Larsson any better than Hedman, its just stats. That article really got me thinking if these three guys can be compaired to the other top 3 the last 10 years.

It sounds to me like this is a year to make the playoffs and not think about the draft, even tho we might not have a playoff team squad atm.
I just don't agree with this article. Idk how some scouts think this draft is weak at the top, I just don't see it. It's the opposite IMO. The draft is superb in the top 20-25, average in the 2nd round. After that, I'd agree it looks very weak as of right now. But no top end talent? No.

Larsson is much better than Hedman at the same age. He's blown Hedman's stats out of the water and is much better defensively than he was. There's no comparison. The consensus is this guy's already NHL ready, and I'd probably agree.

Knock Couturier's league all you want, he's an amazing talent and a Lecavalier clone. Any kid who leads his CHL league in scoring a year before his draft year is considered a huge top end talent in my book. Compare him to Seguin a year ago, he blows Seguin away. The QMJHL is a lower scoring league than the OHL these days. I place RNH just a bit behind Connolly wrt their respective performances in their rookie WHL years. However, if Connolly had not been injured last season I think you would have definitely seen him going top 4.

IMO a lot of scouts are going to look dumb a year from now. Makes you wonder which teams these guys scout for, I hope it's not ours.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:26 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Would love to see us go after these 2:

Maxim Afinogenov

2009-10 salary: $800,000
2009-10 statistics: 81 GP, 24 G, 37 A, 61 PTS

If a team is looking for a Russian-born sniper, without the high price tag of a Kovalchuk, Afinogenov could well be ‘Plan B' for several teams. Taking a one-year deal with the Thrashers at a discount last season proved to be a shrewd move for ‘Mad Max' as he put together a career year in Atlanta. A streaky player on the scoreboard, Afinogenov can look like an All-World talent one night and be virtually invisible the next. As with virtually every Russian free agent, there is plenty of speculation that a move to the KHL is possible. But Afinogenov would undoubtedly like to build upon his solid season.

Matt Lombardi

2009-10 salary: $2.35 million
2009-10 statistics: 78 GP, 19 G, 34 A, 53 PTS

Speed is the name of Lombardi's game and he is looking to cash-in after a career year in the desert. Lombardi enjoyed a spectacular season with Phoenix and was a big reason the Coyotes were able to celebrate the best season in franchise history. He will likely be on the receiving end of a huge pay raise.
I don't get people's fascination with Maxim Afinogenov on HF boards Not the type of guy Tallon will look to sign at all. He'll for sure flake out if he receives a two-three deal from someone.

Lombardi might be a pipe dream at this point : 1.) Type of contract he will get 11.) Lack of centre depth in the UFA. pool...many teams will be going hard after him finally believing he has reached his potential after all these years never living up to it in Calgary (I think he'd be an ideal fit for us ,at least if we are going to go small/fast up the middle, but I prefer we not look the small route with keeping Weiss at C.).

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
I don't get people's fascination with Maxim Afinogenov on HF Not the type of guy Tallon will look to sign at all.

Lombardi might be a pipe dream at this point : 1.) Type of contract he will get 11.) Lack of centre depth in the UFA. pool...many teams will be going hard after him finally believing he has reached his potential after all these years never living up to it in Calgary
I agree. I've come around to the realization that Lombardi won't be coming here. It's not in our budget, the guy's going to get massively overpaid. IMO we might go after Eric Belanger, one of the next best centers available, and he probably won't get crazy offers. Not a world beater, but at least he's a faceoff ace, he's big, good defensively, and can score 40+ points. He's probably the best Tallon can hope for at this point unless he makes a trade.

Old
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I agree. I've come around to the realization that Lombardi won't be coming here. It's not in our budget, the guy's going to get massively overpaid. IMO we might go after Eric Belanger, one of the next best centers available, and he probably won't get crazy offers. Not a world beater, but at least he's a faceoff ace, he's big, good defensively, and can score 40+ points. He's probably the best Tallon can hope for at this point unless he makes a trade.
We have nothing left to trade..

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Well, yeah no we don't, I was thinking a pick if anything but that's not really Tallon's MO. He'll suck as long as he has to and keep stockpiling picks. So I think a Belanger/Williams/Prospal type is who we'll see. Preferably on a 1-2 year but more realistically a 3 year, at least in Belanger's case.

Old
06-29-2010, 04:45 PM
panthersfan751

I hope we sign a bunch of vets to 1 year deals.

That will help avoid rushing the prospects, keep our payroll flexibility after this season, and can get us more picks at the deadline.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:46 PM
PanthersFanatic12

How do you guys feel about signing Mike Madano, i know hes old , but I do think hes a great leader and locker room guy. The young guys could really benefit from having him on the team.

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:47 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Unless Vokoun becomes a commodity again. The Flyers couldn't get deals done with Nabokov or Turco, so that door might open again if those 2 sign elsewhere. There's a glut of goalies on the market so if we do trade him we can sign one of them to a 1 year deal & let Markstrom come up next year. Vokoun is really the only asset we can part with at this point & replace.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Blacksheep71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Fleischmann can play either center or wing. I believe most of his time when he first got to Washington, he played center. And IIRC, he played both center and LW for the Red Wings. We need a center way more than another winger at this point.

I picked Repik because he's not in the good graces of the organization and would give them a cheap winger that is NHL ready. Really I'd like to include Reino in the deal as he'd be expendable then but not sure how that would work for the Caps since the point is they cant afford everyone that needs to be re-signed.
I'd say it was more likely Dadonov as he's threatened to go to the KHL if he doesn't make the roster

Blacksheep71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:02 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFanatic12 View Post
How do you guys feel about signing Mike Madano, i know hes old , but I do think hes a great leader and locker room guy. The young guys could really benefit from having him on the team.
I have thought about it, it's a possibility.

Old
06-29-2010, 05:28 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep71 View Post
I'd say it was more likely Dadonov as he's threatened to go to the KHL if he doesn't make the roster
We have kind of an insider here who has let us know that Repik is a bit on the outs with the organization. Something about 'they don't appreciate his attitude'. Hopefully the situation gets rectified and Repik is a part of this team for many years.

Old
06-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
i love the idea of it, but thats only because Ive loved him throughout his career.. however if we acquired him, would we put him on the 2nd line? 3rd? would that push matthias down to the 4th or just ahl?
idk, he just doesnt feel like a good fit for us right now.

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:55 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
I just don't agree with this article. Idk how some scouts think this draft is weak at the top, I just don't see it. It's the opposite IMO. The draft is superb in the top 20-25, average in the 2nd round. After that, I'd agree it looks very weak as of right now. But no top end talent? No.

Larsson is much better than Hedman at the same age. He's blown Hedman's stats out of the water and is much better defensively than he was. There's no comparison. The consensus is this guy's already NHL ready, and I'd probably agree.

Knock Couturier's league all you want, he's an amazing talent and a Lecavalier clone. Any kid who leads his CHL league in scoring a year before his draft year is considered a huge top end talent in my book. Compare him to Seguin a year ago, he blows Seguin away. The QMJHL is a lower scoring league than the OHL these days. I place RNH just a bit behind Connolly wrt their respective performances in their rookie WHL years. However, if Connolly had not been injured last season I think you would have definitely seen him going top 4.

IMO a lot of scouts are going to look dumb a year from now. Makes you wonder which teams these guys scout for, I hope it's not ours.
I agree very much with you. That was just what i thought before I read that article where two different scouts said that overall they're not as good as the earlier draftclasses, both euro and NA 93s. The Q has been known to be a weaker league, but Courturier har top end talent, I guess we will see in descember or january how good this draft will be. The last years all the top prospects has come from the OHL, but the next year might be different.

Will RNH play in the CHL next year? How is the skill level between the CHL and other minor juniorleagues (like USHL etc).

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePanthers View Post
I agree very much with you. That was just what i thought before I read that article where two different scouts said that overall they're not as good as the earlier draftclasses, both euro and NA 93s. The Q has been known to be a weaker league, but Courturier har top end talent, I guess we will see in descember or january how good this draft will be. The last years all the top prospects has come from the OHL, but the next year might be different.

Will RNH play in the CHL next year? How is the skill level between the CHL and other minor juniorleagues (like USHL etc).
This article was written over a year ago, check out some threads about 2011 on the prospects board. Now every poster there is saying those scouts who said those things are dumb. People just aren't buying it. RNH has already played one year in the WHL. The CHL is the gold standard for junior hockey in North America. The USHL might be the best Junior A league in N.A. They've been churning out more top 60 picks than any other Junior A league in the last several years it seems. It's still quite a cut below the CHL though.

The development program in Quebec at the youth level clearly needs fixing. The OHL and WHL have owned them recently at the draft. The players that come into the Q just aren't as good as their counterparts. I also think it doesn't help that the hockey programs in Quebec just aren't preparing these kids well for NHL style hockey. For example, the Q was already a very soft league to begin with, and recently they became even more stringent with their rules on fighting. It's like sending a green recruit into a war. These kids simply aren't prepared at all and as a result teams are not drafting them.

However, saying all that, it still was a lower scoring league than the OHL last year, and I think the year before as well. You can say Couturier is playing against weaker competition, however you can also point out that he's already dominating his league as an underager and imagine his potential once he gets drafted and gets into a better environment for his growth with good coaching. If he's already standing out and has beat the odds despite poor development programs, imagine his potential.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:23 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
This article was written over a year ago, check out some threads about 2011 on the prospects board. Now every poster there is saying those scouts who said those things are dumb. People just aren't buying it. RNH has already played one year in the WHL. The CHL is the gold standard for junior hockey in North America. The USHL might be the best Junior A league in N.A. They've been churning out more top 60 picks than any other Junior A league in the last several years it seems. It's still quite a cut below the CHL though.

The development program in Quebec at the youth level clearly needs fixing. The OHL and WHL have owned them recently at the draft. The players that come into the Q just aren't as good as their counterparts. I also think it doesn't help that the hockey programs in Quebec just aren't preparing these kids well for NHL style hockey. For example, the Q was already a very soft league to begin with, and recently they became even more stringent with their rules on fighting. It's like sending a green recruit into a war. These kids simply aren't prepared at all and as a result teams are not drafting them.

However, saying all that, it still was a lower scoring league than the OHL last year, and I think the year before as well. You can say Couturier is playing against weaker competition, however you can also point out that he's already dominating his league as an underager and imagine his potential once he gets drafted and gets into a better environment for his growth with good coaching. If he's already standing out and has beat the odds despite poor development programs, imagine his potential.
Agree with you there. Thanks mate.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:26 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

I don't see us making any deals before FA, and they teams will be calling for their needs.

Old
06-29-2010, 06:59 PM
pantherbot

I don't see us making any significant signings that push us into the playoffs and compete. I'm sure we'll be making some signings to fill in holes but I would like Tallon to keep these deals to 1-years.

For center I'd like them to sign a guy like belanger or malhotra. then you can have matthias and reinprecht compete for that 2nd line spot and see how it turns out. We have an abundance of wingers already so just let deboer figure out where to put them.

Defense we need to add a bit more depth but i think the top 5 guys are set with kuli, wideman, mccabe, allen, ellerby/garrison. potentially gudbranson can be added to the mix.

we are unlikely to make the playoffs and compete. i would rather us let the kids play and with vokoun in net we will at least be competitive. at the deadline, if we aren't going to make the playoffs, trade away the vets that we can for picks or prospects (mccabe, reino, stillman, vokoun, dvorak). the franchise would then have undergone a true rebuild and be set for the future.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
With all due respect to Mike.

No. Old. Guys.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:29 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
I thought about that and had it pointed out that he's unlikely to sign a one-year deal with a team that's not likely to make the playoffs this season, and the Panthers are unlikely to offer more than one year given he's already 40.

06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

Quote:
Hell yes, he would be an awesome mentor for our prospects and aswell for the rest of the young core.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

So we'd want either Couturier or Larsson then? Sounds good to me. Skip the 'high-priced forward' this off-season, get into the draft position to get either one of those guys, and next season we'll have a few coins to throw at better UFAs.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
For me personally, I wouldn't want to do it. I mean if it happens, so be it but I just think we've been down that road already with Roberts & Niewy. And we already have guys like Stillman & McCabe. Whatever's clever though.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
305Pantera

Quote:
I can't lie, I thought EXACTLY the same thing! Of course, there's retirement talk, but what better place to retire than South Florida?! As a kid I always like Madano and wished he would play for the Panthers heh.

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote