HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

What's next on Tallon's to-do list?

Old
06-29-2010, 08:31 PM
305Pantera

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
i love the idea of it, but thats only because Ive loved him throughout his career.. however if we acquired him, would we put him on the 2nd line? 3rd? would that push matthias down to the 4th or just ahl?
idk, he just doesnt feel like a good fit for us right now.
You know, I just feel like the players would benefit from a guy like this. I could see him possibly starting on the 2nd or 3rd, but if whoever's behind him is showing promise, he'll get the move up. Exposure to a guy like this, even for Weiss, could be great!

This brings up something I was thinking earlier. With Horton out, how do you guys see Weiss' stats looking this season? IIRC his numbers slumped a bit with Hortons absence? I could be wrong, and don't get me wrong, I'm satisfied with his performance, I'm just hoping he can put up even bigger numbers. Do you guys see it possible? Projections? haha.

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
You know, I just feel like the players would benefit from a guy like this. I could see him possibly starting on the 2nd or 3rd, but if whoever's behind him is showing promise, he'll get the move up. Exposure to a guy like this, even for Weiss, could be great!

This brings up something I was thinking earlier. With Horton out, how do you guys see Weiss' stats looking this season? IIRC his numbers slumped a bit with Hortons absence? I could be wrong, and don't get me wrong, I'm satisfied with his performance, I'm just hoping he can put up even bigger numbers. Do you guys see it possible? Projections? haha.
I think a lot of it depends on Grabner. I think they have to be on the same line. Grabner needs someone feeding him the puck all the time, so it has to be Weiss. If he can break out, Weiss might not skip a beat.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:54 PM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I think a lot of it depends on Grabner. I think they have to be on the same line. Grabner needs someone feeding him the puck all the time, so it has to be Weiss. If he can break out, Weiss might not skip a beat.
That's what I was thinking. Is he comfortable playing the RW? That's what he's listed at anyway. I suppose the question is who will be playing LW on that line. His speed is definitely exciting though, hopefully he pans out!

Old
06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
That's what I was thinking. Is he comfortable playing the RW? That's what he's listed at anyway. I suppose the question is who will be playing LW on that line. His speed is definitely exciting though, hopefully he pans out!
Yeah, he's a RW. I think both Booth and Grabner need Weiss.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:24 PM
305Pantera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Yeah, he's a RW. I think both Booth and Grabner need Weiss.
So you don't think Frolik will break into the 1st line much this season?

Old
06-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

vCash: 50
I'd love to see a line of Repik-Matthias-Frolik

Booth-Weiss-Grabner
Repik-Matthias-Frolik
Stillman-Reino-Bernier
Bitz-Olesz-Dvo

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:48 PM
16Skippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbransson4Prez View Post
So would I but maybe in another year or two. I don't really think Repik or Matthias are top 6 material yet.

16Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:32 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:

Booth-Weiss-Grabner
Repik-Matthias-Frolik
Stillman-Reino-Bernier
Bitz-Olesz-Dvo
i think a line with frolik on LW if he is capable, reino at C and bernier on RW is more realistic at some point next season.

I also think its a bit too early to put grabner on the 1st line, considering he has only played 20 games in the nhl... we'll see after training camp and FA, but if we dont acquire another top6 RW, i see bernier getting a shot on the 1st line early on as grabner tries to prove himself on 2nd or 3rd

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:46 AM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:

Booth-Weiss-Grabner
Repik-Matthias-Frolik
Stillman-Reino-Bernier
Bitz-Olesz-Dvo
I like those lines. However, the 4th line doesn't have a real center. I'd also like to see McArdle make the big team, I guess he could be the 13th guy and swap in on the 4th.

Perhaps Olesz can learn to play center and actually make himself useful.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:55 AM
Blacksheep71

On several sites I've actually seen Frolik listed as a Center including the Panthers on site.

I wonder if there is the possibility to use him in his original position with the following lines.

Booth - Weiss - Bernier (or Grabner)

Stillman - Frolik - Grabner (or Bernier)

Olesz - Matthias - Dvorak

McArdle - Reinprecht - Bitz

For me, I think we keep the old warhorse Stillman on the second line to add some experience. Reinprecht some nous to the 4th line, but I think he could be interchangeable with the 2nd and also the 3rd lines ... I think until we have clear cut lines, we might as mix up the personnel during games until we find that right mix.

Blacksheep71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 04:51 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep71 View Post
On several sites I've actually seen Frolik listed as a Center including the Panthers on site.

I wonder if there is the possibility to use him in his original position with the following lines.

Booth - Weiss - Bernier (or Grabner)

Stillman - Frolik - Grabner (or Bernier)

Olesz - Matthias - Dvorak

McArdle - Reinprecht - Bitz

For me, I think we keep the old warhorse Stillman on the second line to add some experience. Reinprecht some nous to the 4th line, but I think he could be interchangeable with the 2nd and also the 3rd lines ... I think until we have clear cut lines, we might as mix up the personnel during games until we find that right mix.
Bernier on the 1st line is just horrible.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 05:06 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
Bernier on the 1st line is just horrible.
well we dont have that much to play with, do we?

Old
06-30-2010, 05:11 AM
billysbreakdown

Quote:
well we dont have that much to play with, do we?
Grabner? There's some skill.
Isn't Bernier some what of a grinder? 3rd liner?

Old
06-30-2010, 05:14 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Grabner? There's some skill.
Isn't Bernier some what of a grinder? 3rd liner?
yeah but really? the kid has got 20 nhl games under his belt, do you really put a guy like that on the first line?

Old
06-30-2010, 05:17 AM
billysbreakdown

Quote:
yeah but really? the kid has got 20 nhl games under his belt, do you really put a guy like that on the first line?
Mhh probably not, heck just put Stillman on the first line then. Much rather than Bernier.

Old
06-30-2010, 05:23 AM
billysbreakdown

Booth-Weiss-Frolik
Stillman-Reinprecht-Olesz
Bernier-Matthias-Grabner
McArdle-Taffe-Bitz

?

Old
06-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Blacksheep71

I look it like this. I am using players who have played almost exclusively in these positions and I think we should play to their strengths.

Natural Right Wingers are Bernier, Grabner, Frolik, Dvorak, Bitz and Repik.

Natural Left Wingers are Booth, Stillman, and McArdle

Swing Wingers, both left and right is Olesz

Centers are: Weiss, Reiprecht, Matthias and Taffe

Wingers who have significant experience at center is Frolik

So are LW must be BOOTH, STILLMAN, OLESZ and MCARDLE with DUCO (reserve)
Our RW must be GRABNER, BERNIER, DVORAK, BITZ and REPIK (reserve)
Our C must be WEISS, REINPRECHT, MATTIAS and FROLIK with TAFFE (reserve)

Frolik has played two years in the NHL as a RW, but was drafted and played most of his junior hockey as a Center. He would find it easier to adapt back I think. It also allows us to get our top 12 forwards onto decent lines that play to whatever strengths they have

Bernier might benefit from playing on the top line. He at least gives us some size here.

Grabner might eventually supplant him but initially I think he'd be better on the second, on a line with an experienced veteran like Stillman

Putting Matthias between two experienced wingers like Olesz and Dvorak will help him, as will having Reinprecht centering two inexperienced wingers in McArdle and Bitz

Taffe can provide depth at C and LW, and Repik at RW.

Of course this might be shaken up if McFarland makes the team but we can't rely on that.

Old
06-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Blacksheep71

Quote:
Booth-Weiss-Frolik
Stillman-Reinprecht-Olesz
Bernier-Matthias-Grabner
McArdle-Taffe-Bitz

?

Bernier is a RW. At 216lbs he's the closest to a Power Forward on the wing we have.

We have been playing Frolik as a RW, but he is a natural C. I think we should use that as we are week at the pivot.

Booth-Weiss-Bernier

Bernier's point and goal totals aren't great but he's only played one full season. Last season he only played 59games. He was played on the 3rd line but I think he has 25goals/50pts in him if played on a scoring line

Stillman-Frolik-Grabner

Moving Frolik into the middle maximise the players we have unless we sign someone, but also gives experience alongside Grabner who's only got 20 games under his belt

Olesz-Matthias-Dvorak

The checking line

McArdle-Reinprecht-Bitz

As Reinprecht underperformed, tap into his experience to develop McArdle and Bitz

Eventually I see Matthias moving up to the 2nd line, and Frolik being able to move out to the wing, if Grabner steps up to the 1st line. Bernier can move back to the 3rd line as and when Dvorak retires or moves on. McFarland can eventually replace Stillman. Howden may eventually replaced Reinprecht with Brinkley on the 4th

In 2012-2013 our lines might be

Booth-Weiss-Grabner

McFarland-Matthias-Frolik

Olesz-Howden-Bernier

McArdle-Brinkley-Bitz

Old
06-30-2010, 07:59 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:

Booth-Weiss-Grabner
Repik-Matthias-Frolik
Stillman-Reino-Bernier
Bitz-Olesz-Dvo
I actually like the top three lines. The top line certainly has a lot of speed, and Grabner could be a good compliment to Booth and Weiss.

The second line is our youth line. Lots of skill there, and some toughness as well with Repik and Matthias.

The third line is good if Stillman and Reinprecht can replicate the chemistry they had last season before Stillman got injured. I would consider replacing Bernier with Dvorak though.

The fourth is just horrible because we cant have a $3+ million forward their, who isnt a center. Bitz with McCardle or Bernier would be a better wing set, with Taffe centering them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep71 View Post
Bernier is a RW. At 216lbs he's the closest to a Power Forward on the wing we have.

We have been playing Frolik as a RW, but he is a natural C. I think we should use that as we are week at the pivot.

Booth-Weiss-Bernier

Bernier's point and goal totals aren't great but he's only played one full season. Last season he only played 59games. He was played on the 3rd line but I think he has 25goals/50pts in him if played on a scoring line

Stillman-Frolik-Grabner

Moving Frolik into the middle maximise the players we have unless we sign someone, but also gives experience alongside Grabner who's only got 20 games under his belt

Olesz-Matthias-Dvorak

The checking line

McArdle-Reinprecht-Bitz

As Reinprecht underperformed, tap into his experience to develop McArdle and Bitz

Eventually I see Matthias moving up to the 2nd line, and Frolik being able to move out to the wing, if Grabner steps up to the 1st line. Bernier can move back to the 3rd line as and when Dvorak retires or moves on. McFarland can eventually replace Stillman. Howden may eventually replaced Reinprecht with Brinkley on the 4th

In 2012-2013 our lines might be

Booth-Weiss-Grabner

McFarland-Matthias-Frolik

Olesz-Howden-Bernier

McArdle-Brinkley-Bitz
Like I said with Guds post, we cant have a forward making as much money as Reino does, on the 4th line. I think the way we are structured, at the moment, our centers should go like so:

Weiss
Reino
Matthias
Taffe

Reino and Matthias are interchangeable, depending on who their linemates are.

Bernier in NO WAY should be on the top line. Since we dont really have a true second line, having him on the either line after Weiss would be suitable. Repik should be on the top six before Bernier.

I think that even though we wont be spending to the cap limit, I do think that Tallon will be allowed to add some serious talent to this team next offseason. Even if we was allowed to spend up to, lets say, around $50 million, we would have about $25 million to re-sign our players, and add some talent to the roster. Going by that, I think our 2012-13 lines could look much different. But we are looking way to far ahead.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
This season is likely a wipeout anyway, so why not give the younger skill players some ice time and see if they'll develop during the season? The Panthers will be effectively a developmental team this season, so they might as well.

06-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
This season is likely a wipeout anyway, so why not give the younger skill players some ice time and see if they'll develop during the season? The Panthers will be effectively a developmental team this season, so they might as well.
yeah I know, everybody knows that we will suck this year. But its not realistic to start the season with a rookie on the top line unless his name is hall or tavares...

i have a feeling that he wil be on the 2nd or 3rd line, with a strong possibility of moving up to the 1st if he performs

Old
06-30-2010, 10:01 AM
FlaPanthers7

You guys are going to love this blurb out of the Herald!!! Hahaha:

Though a return here would be surprising, free agent center Olli Jokinen (15 goals, 35 assists with the Flames and Rangers last season) would love to sign with the Panthers, his agent said.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/06/3...#ixzz0sLgJ3vC9

I could see Olli getting a 1 or 2 year deal as a stop-gag. We have no centers in our system that could fill a top 6 role in the next 2 years, maybe even 3. Matthias is still an unproven commodity and the guys we've drafted (Bjugstad, Shore, etc.) are all several years away. After a couple off years, I could see this happening AT THE RIGHT PRICE!

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post

Though a return here would be surprising, free agent center Olli Jokinen (15 goals, 35 assists with the Flames and Rangers last season) would love to sign with the Panthers, his agent said.

I could see Olli getting a 1 or 2 year deal as a stop-gag. We have no centers in our system that could fill a top 6 role in the next 2 years, maybe even 3. Matthias is still an unproven commodity and the guys we've drafted (Bjugstad, Shore, etc.) are all several years away. After a couple off years, I could see this happening AT THE RIGHT PRICE!
I don't know if you intended it or not, but stop-gag had me cracking up.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

I'd be disgusted, but he'd be a Panther, so I'd wish him the best.

06-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Acadmus

Quote:

Let him go to the KHL.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote