HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's next on Tallon's to-do list?

Old
06-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Clint

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadmus View Post
This season is likely a wipeout anyway, so why not give the younger skill players some ice time and see if they'll develop during the season? The Panthers will be effectively a developmental team this season, so they might as well.
Agreed. I wouldn't mind in the least if we traded everyone over the age of 30. And that includes Reinprecht, Stillman, McCabe, and Vokoun.

Let our younger guys like Repik, Dadonov, Matthias and Ellerby start taking the reins.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
Agreed. I wouldn't mind in the least if we traded everyone over the age of 30. And that includes Reinprecht, Stillman, McCabe, and Vokoun.

Let our younger guys like Repik, Dadonov, Matthias and Ellerby start taking the reins.
My only exception is I want Dvo to retire as a Panther. Always liked him, and hated when the team had to deal him in '99 to get a replacement for Kidd.

06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
FlaPanthers7

I have no problem with that either if Tallon would just come out & say we're rebuilding & going to let the kids grow up. When he says we're going to be "competitive" though, that throws me off because right now I don't see how we'll be competitive with this lineup.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
My only exception is I want Dvo to retire as a Panther. Always liked him, and hated when the team had to deal him in '99 to get a replacement for Kidd.
I like Radek as much as the next guy, but I'd like to see our veterans traded not just so we can acquire assets, but so that they can actually have a chance to win somewhere.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
I like Radek as much as the next guy, but I'd like to see our veterans traded not just so we can acquire assets, but so that they can actually have a chance to win somewhere.
but let me just ask you a question... which cup contender would be willing to pay for our failed rejects? none of our vets have significant value imo, so why would they waste a roster spot on one of the guys tallon doesnt want?

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Gudbranson44

hey btw, tallon will be on 2 radio shows around 4 pm acc to panthers website, does anyone know if there will be links on the website? im not that familiar with canadian radio channels....

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
The Panthers need to start showing some loyalty to their longtime veterans. I don't ever want the team to treat another player the way they did Paul Laus. Radek doesn't have a lot of trade value, and unless he's asking to be elsewhere, I don't want to see him moved. He's a solid depth player who works hard and doesn't complain. In a franchise like this, you've got to respect his ability to do that.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
hey btw, tallon will be on 2 radio shows around 4 pm acc to panthers website, does anyone know if there will be links on the website? im not that familiar with canadian radio channels....
I wouldn't expect him to tip you off to anything new - it'll likely be more of the same answers, as GMs can't discuss some topics and won't tip their hand on others. Such as who he might be making a move to sign tomorrow, if anyone.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
The Panthers need to start showing some loyalty to their longtime veterans. I don't ever want the team to treat another player the way they did Paul Laus. Radek doesn't have a lot of trade value, and unless he's asking to be elsewhere, I don't want to see him moved. He's a solid depth player who works hard and doesn't complain. In a franchise like this, you've got to respect his ability to do that.
i.e. the perfect 3rd line type player: He gets you 10-15 goals a year, including a short hander or two, back checks, is a fast skater which fits the mold of this team, and is a good person that doesn't beat up fire trucks, etc. I really like Dvo and hope he plays out his contract here.

Old
06-30-2010, 12:20 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I dont want Dvo traded either. As far as anyone else is concerned, I will take picks for McCabe, Stillman, Reino, etc. Dvo needs to stay here and retire here, and have him in the Den of Honor.

Again, I dont want Tallon to mortgage the future just so we have a shot at making the playoffs. If we can get another top three pick, have a second consecutive positive draft, we will be in much better position next summer when we will have $25-30 million to spend. One more season of mediocrity could turn into something very, very good.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:23 PM
305Pantera

Quote:
I'm with you man, DVO has certainly paid his dues! In fact, I would want him to sign with us if we were really cup contenders, just so he gets his name on the cup! IMO the guy has a great attitude, and I can't recall hearing otherwise. He's a very valuable PKer for our team, IMO.

305Pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Holy Jokinen

Next on Tallon's to-do list: End World Hunger

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:07 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I'd be disgusted, but he'd be a Panther, so I'd wish him the best.
*** - i threw up just a little bit in my mouth when i read that. why can't people just...

Quote:
Let him go to the KHL.
!!!

stop with this "on a cheap contract, short-term.." bull****. this is not a player we need or want.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:11 PM
RainingRats

If we can get a pick for Dvorak he has to go. We're rebuilding and in no position to not acquire as many picks as possible. Plus, getting traded is part of the business and I'm sure he would love the chance to win the cup. Keeping him instead of getting a pick for him would be foolish.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
*** - i threw up just a little bit in my mouth when i read that. why can't people just...

!!!

stop with this "on a cheap contract, short-term.." bull****. this is not a player we need or want.
Sorry. Trust me, I don't think Tallon will bring him anywhere near this team. I sure as hell don't want him anywhere near this team (unless it's Gudbranson putting him through the glass), and I'd hate him being here, but...

06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
If we can get a pick for Dvorak he has to go. We're rebuilding and in no position to not acquire as many picks as possible. Plus, getting traded is part of the business and I'm sure he would love the chance to win the cup. Keeping him instead of getting a pick for him would be foolish.
Depends on where we are at the deadline. He's a great 3rd liner and loves to be here, no need to move him out right now. He can fit into the rebuild, imo.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:23 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Depends on where we are at the deadline. He's a great 3rd liner and loves to be here, no need to move him out right now. He can fit into the rebuild, imo.
I was assuming we have no shot of the playoffs if we're trading him. He doesn't really fit into the rebuild. His role is easily replaced and we could use some more grit on the bottom two lines. I like Dvorak as much as the next guy but we have to trade if we are going to miss the playoffs.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I was assuming we have no shot of the playoffs if we're trading him. He doesn't really fit into the rebuild. His role is easily replaced and we could use some more grit on the bottom two lines. I like Dvorak as much as the next guy but we have to trade if we are going to miss the playoffs.
I'll respectfully disagree in his not fitting in, and also with his being easily replaced. I'm not married to Dvo staying, just think he's not one of the guys who "needs" to be moved in a rebuild.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:30 PM
RCGP
Go Panthers

Quote:
Dvorak is the one UFA guy we got that I would try to move now. His role can be replaced now for cheaper, and we need the roster space.

RCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:46 PM
PanthersRule96

I would absolutely love for us to sign Michalek out of Phoenix. He's a UFA IIRC and over the years has been one of the most underrated defensemen in the NHL. Doubt he signs with us but if we could sign a couple forwards and him, we'd be looking very good for next season.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:50 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Looking forward to tomorrow. Don't think we'll make a splash, just interested to see Tallon continue reshaping the team.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:57 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Looking forward to tomorrow. Don't think we'll make a splash, just interested to see Tallon continue reshaping the team.
Yup, I'm setting my expectations low for tomorrow (and this season!)

Old
06-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305Pantera View Post
So you don't think Frolik will break into the 1st line much this season?
I just think Grabner needs a guy like Weiss or you're really limiting his effectiveness. Booth really always has needed Weiss too. I think Frolik can create more of his own offense than those two. Depends on camp of course, but that's just the way I would do it. You want to find a way where you are getting the most out of as many players as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep71 View Post
On several sites I've actually seen Frolik listed as a Center including the Panthers on site.

I wonder if there is the possibility to use him in his original position with the following lines.

Booth - Weiss - Bernier (or Grabner)

Stillman - Frolik - Grabner (or Bernier)

Olesz - Matthias - Dvorak

McArdle - Reinprecht - Bitz

For me, I think we keep the old warhorse Stillman on the second line to add some experience. Reinprecht some nous to the 4th line, but I think he could be interchangeable with the 2nd and also the 3rd lines ... I think until we have clear cut lines, we might as mix up the personnel during games until we find that right mix.
Frolik is a natural LW, he will tell you that himself. He can play center though and has in international play, which is likely why HF and some other places have him listed as a C.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
FlaPanthers7

Well, according to GR's blog, Tallon says he's looking for a center, a couple of forwards and a defenseman. None of the big superstars, but it should make for an interesting day tomorrow.

Old
06-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Frolik is a natural LW, he will tell you that himself. He can play center though and has in international play, which is likely why HF and some other places have him listed as a C.
Yeah, people still think and have Horton listed as a center, that didn't work, he's a much better center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
Well, according to GR's blog, Tallon says he's looking for a center, a couple of forwards and a defenseman. None of the big superstars, but it should make for an interesting day tomorrow.
Saw that, will be interesting for sure. Just hope they're solid impact guys. Would very much like to add Boulton, as MR mentioned, he's an underrated enforcer.