Notices

Dallas Stars 2010 Summer Prospect Camp

Old
07-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Alistar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Haven't seen Besko yet. Only Campbell, Lemay, and Nagle.

Tassone was one 30 minutes before the rest but haven't seen him yet.
first impressions?

Alistar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Starsdude

They signed the small d-man Coyle FWIW

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:00 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 20645
It's also possible that Krahn is still working through the post-concussion symptoms and wants to get a feel for where he's at.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games Seen: 13

vCash: 1495
Besko never showed up today. All I saw were the 3 goalies I mentioned before plus Krahn. None of them really impressed but there were a couple of really good saves mixed in.

There were a lot of mistakes from everyone really. A lot of falling down and a lot of the guys lost control of the puck very easily. But it was the first day, plus the ice looked absolutely awful.

Mentioning Coyle, he was also there. I'm heading back out tomorrow..I'll take some video and post it on YouTube for y'all to see (for those who can't make it).

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:16 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...nt_camp_notes/
Quote:
One thing I did notice today concerned defenseman John Klingberg, who was taken in this year’s draft. The word was he had some of the same attributes as Philip Larsen. I’d have to agree. When you watch him on the ice you have to do a double take to make sure it isn’t Larsen. The similarities are striking.
When all else fails, there's always the 5th round of the draft.

Old
07-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Chad_

Let him add 40 pounds first. He's just a little guy.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Alistar

yeah to be fair to the kid he needs 2 or 3 years of strong development before we start making Larsen comparisons.

Alistar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Dr GLU

Mark was talking in generalities. He's not saying that Klingberg is Larsen right now, but style-wise and physically, it's kind of creepy how similar they look. After he scored a nice goal in one of the drills, we both thought it was Larsen, but it was actually Klingberg.

I really like the way Nemeth played and defended (takes the man, not the puck). Both of the Miami guys look like they have something. Smith has a ton of speed, skill, and drive. McKenzie needs work on his first step, but looks at home in the slot and in front of the net.

You can never really take a lot about the goalies out of these things. Almost nothing they do is comparable to in-game situations.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Starsdude

Of the unsigned guys, Boutet and Bezile were both guys from the q that could have gone in rounds 4-7. Did they stand out at all/ Any other unsigned guys look worth adding.

Old
07-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Called the Frisco Stars Center, they told me they'd be closed to the public this weekend. Anyone know if that's true? Will the public not be able to see the development camp on Saturday or Sunday?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Called the Frisco Stars Center, they told me they'd be closed to the public this weekend. Anyone know if that's true? Will the public not be able to see the development camp on Saturday or Sunday?
All practices are open to the public. The Stars Center might be closed, meaning you can't skate, but that's all there is to it. If you still aren't sure, call the Dallas Stars.

Old
07-02-2010, 06:46 PM
Hull Fan
Duck Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
All practices are open to the public. The Stars Center might be closed, meaning you can't skate, but that's all there is to it. If you still aren't sure, call the Dallas Stars.
Yeah I called back to verify. The public ice is closed but the practices will be open. Thankfully I can take the kids to McKinney which is literally five minutes away.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Chad_

Ah, trying to kill two birds with one stone. In that case, that sucks.

Old
07-02-2010, 09:19 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Tristan King's got one of the sweeter shootout moves I've seen in a while. Check out the very end of the bottom-most video Mark posted. Not surprised that he was almost always Medicine Hat's first shooter in these things.

Also, lol @ Larsen failing at the spinorama.

Old
07-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Dr GLU

I'm really starting to think the Stars may have another steal on their hands with Klingberg. He definitely needs to develop physically, especially in the upper body, and needs work on his shot. His game overall is incredibly smooth, and he doesn't shy away from contact or traffic even with his current size deficiency, in fact, he didn't hesitate to initiate contact. There's definitely pro upside there, and if he fills out, he could be a gem.

I hope Bergin can stay healthy this year. He's got a good package of skill and size, which could give him a shot at the NHL.

Old
07-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Chad_

I concur on Klingberg, at least in terms of not shying away from contact. As skinny as the guy is, it surprised me how he was going in hard against others who were 30+ pounds heavier.

Old
07-06-2010, 12:15 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Lots of final thoughts on most of the major prospects here from Mark. Do yourself a favor and read it if you haven't already.

Old
07-06-2010, 02:02 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

No idea who's photo album this is but wow..check out these shots

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertjkeith/

Great quality photo's!

MB94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 06:34 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I know this is primarily a function of his jersey number, and he's right-handed and everything, but when you watch Vincour you can't help but letting your mind wander a bit toward Hossa. Obviously he's nowhere near as good as Hossa was at this age, but some of the same elements are there.

Old
07-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I know this is primarily a function of his jersey number, and he's right-handed and everything, but when you watch Vincour you can't help but letting your mind wander a bit toward Hossa. Obviously he's nowhere near as good as Hossa was at this age, but some of the same elements are there.
You know, that's a pretty good comparison, outside of talent of course. He moves a bit like him now that I think about it.

Old
07-07-2010, 09:12 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Really?

I've read reports saying that Vincour needs to improve his skating. Has he really improved that much in one year? Aside from offense, Hossa is a pretty explosive skater and an underrated two-way forward. Is Vincour's skill set similar to that?

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Aces View Post
I've read reports saying that Vincour needs to improve his skating. Has he really improved that much in one year? Aside from offense, Hossa is a pretty explosive skater and an underrated two-way forward. Is Vincour's skill set similar to that?
I've only seen him this past camp so I cannot compare or comment upon whether he's improved, but his skating is not anywhere near what I thought it would be based upon, presumably, those same scouting reports. That's not to say it's good or close to Hossa, but they kind of have the same mannerisms on the ice.

Speaking of bigger guys and skating, Chiasson was doing everything at a fast pace and he's pretty darn big out there too. You can see the skill is there, but whether he'll put it all together who knows.

And Nemeth, while most of the drills in these camps aren't geared towards defensive d-men, I'm curious whether or not his offensive upside isn't a bit undersold. No, I'm not claiming he's flashy or will be running the PP in the future, but he didn't struggle in the majority of the skill drills that I saw him in, or at least any more than anyone else.

Old
07-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Starsdude

Any unsigned prospects worth signing? How about Guptill who was abit unknown on draft day?

Old
07-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Chad_

Unsigned? Not that I can think of, but I didn't really pay much attention to guys I didn't already know about going in. I'll go out on a limb and suggest Thomas Frazee, but that's just because he's 6'4", 205 and a right shot center. I barely paid attention to him other than seeing one of the coaches instructing him to quit trying to dangle the puck and just shoot. It was something to the effect of, 'you're not going to beat guys at this level doing that.'

Guptill was a lot like Chiasson, though less in control. That's not to say Chiasson was gifted, but in the drills I saw there was a definite difference between the two in terms of handling the puck.

Theriau displayed a pretty good point shot on occassion. Mark at ADSP has already noted Bergin.

For those who haven't seen Beskorowany, take it from me. The guy is huge. He's listed at a good size, but with those pads on, he was, as Razor would say, ginormous.

Of course who knows how any of these guys do in game situations. I've only seen a couple in an actual hockey game, and that's the true test, other than seeing how some guys handle a more skilled environment when they aren't supposed to be that way (i.e. Fistric who was awful, Grossman who slowed things down big time but got it done or Nemeth who I thought did fairly well).

Old
07-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Dr GLU

I liked Kirkpatrick a lot: smart, skilled guy, but small. The guys the Stars like will be invited back for Traverse City like Monast, Labrie, and Tousignant were.