HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Battle of the Bulge/General Fitness

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2010, 02:31 PM
m00ks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower2010 View Post
I think a better analogy would be a girl who has big breasts while on birth control.
Hmm I don't know what happens to said breasts once they get off birth control though.

Old
07-09-2010, 02:31 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
start a creatine vs glutamine thread part I.

Old
07-09-2010, 02:33 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
start a creatine vs glutamine thread part I.

Old
07-09-2010, 02:36 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
Listen, what the crap do you know about health? Seriously?
Enough to know not to promote creatine to anyone. I've done my homework on supplements and been working out for close to a decade. From my personal experience, research and feedback, it's a **** supplement with zero substance. If you like cosmetic water retention, be my guest. For anyone who wants build real muscles, they shouldn't waste their time.

Now what do YOU know about health, fitness et al?

Old
07-09-2010, 02:38 PM
maxpower2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
Hmm I don't know what happens to said breasts once they get off birth control though.
Return to pre birth control size.

Granted, it does all depend on the type of creatine you use as some are very effective.

That being said, a multi v, fish oil, whey, bcaa, and glutamine should be part of all athletes basic supplementation.

Old
07-09-2010, 02:45 PM
fredez

Since breakfast is very important here are some tips :

Breakfast :
WHAT TO AVOID
-Avoid cereals. They are (even the "healthy" ones) filled with sugars. And the "healthy" ones with protein added is most likely made from soy protein which amino acid profiles is kinda weak compared to animal protein.
WHAT TO GO FOR
-Eggs (and egg whites) are your friends. Buy some egg whites cartons and make yourself an omelette with 3/4 cup egg whites + 1 whole egg. Mix in veggies in the mix. My weapons of choice here are spinach, oinions and apples. Apples mix surprisingly well with eggs. Don't use butter, go for olive oil (or better : olive oil spray).
-You should limit yourself to 6 whole eggs per week. So from time to time go for some oatmeal. Don't buy oatmeal in packets : it's full of added stuff you don't want (even the "nature" ones). Buy some natural oats (usually come in big bags). What's fun with oatmeal is that you can cook a huge batch and have some for a big part of the week. I mix the oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder and whichever fruit I have on hands (blueberries and bananas are good choices) and it tastes very good.
-Green tea : always an option
-Fish oil capsules : take some. Over the numerous studies they've done on those things, I've only read positive stuff : helps brain function, ehances body composition and it helps close the gap between Omega 6 and Omega 3. Most people's diets are full of Omega 6 and severely lacking in Omega 3.

All I can think of for the moment.

Old
07-09-2010, 02:46 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Enough to know not to promote creatine to anyone. I've done my homework on supplements and been working out for close to a decade. From my personal experience, research and feedback, it's a **** supplement with zero substance. If you like cosmetic water retention, be my guest. For anyone who wants build real muscles, they shouldn't waste their time.

Now what do YOU know about health, fitness et al?
Well, I've done all my biochemistry, cellular biology, genetics, molecular biology course, then I did 2 years of kinesiology, I've been involved in studies about amino acids and catabolism too, and I'm now a medical student, and this year I've been named the most knowledgable student from my peers... As for being in shape, I'm not that bad, you can look at my pictures earlier in this thread and all my lifts are really good ( 2.8 X bodyweight deadlift , etc etc ) for someone who's a medical student.

Is that enough for you?

Old
07-09-2010, 02:54 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Well, I've done all my biochemistry, cellular biology, genetics, molecular biology course, then I did 2 years of kinesiology, I've been involved in studies about amino acids and catabolism too, and I'm now a medical student, and this year I've been named the most knowledgable student from my peers... As for being in shape, I'm not that bad, you can look at my pictures earlier in this thread and all my lifts are really good ( 2.8 X bodyweight deadlift , etc etc ) for someone who's a medical student.

Is that enough for you?
And with all those credentials you still think creatine is one of the most proven supplement there is? Like...you of all people should know...or maybe you didn't learn it yet.

I didn't read the whole thread but do you even have any arguments what makes creatine is so good?

Old
07-09-2010, 02:57 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:

Is that enough for you?
Out of curiousity, do you use creatine?

Old
07-09-2010, 03:44 PM
overlords
Hfboards

4 eggs, 4 slices of chicken bacon (high salt, i know, i know).

Worst thing about this though, is that it's my first meal of the day (eating it now). My schedule is all messed up.

Old
07-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez View Post
Since breakfast is very important here are some tips :

Breakfast :
WHAT TO AVOID
-Avoid cereals. They are (even the "healthy" ones) filled with sugars. And the "healthy" ones with protein added is most likely made from soy protein which amino acid profiles is kinda weak compared to animal protein.
WHAT TO GO FOR
-Eggs (and egg whites) are your friends. Buy some egg whites cartons and make yourself an omelette with 3/4 cup egg whites + 1 whole egg.
I actually eat cereal every morning and it's worked out fine for me. I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch. I dunno, everyone is different I guess. I do limit my sugars for the rest of the day, so maybe that makes up for it.

One thing to add to your egg suggestion is make sure to get the freshest eggs possible and try for organic free range, or at least cage-free/free run. It seriously makes a giant difference in taste for me and I think it's well worth the added cost. Sprinkle a little smoked paprika on top of some fried eggs if you're missing bacon.

Old
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
And with all those credentials you still think creatine is one of the most proven supplement there is? Like...you of all people should know...or maybe you didn't learn it yet.

I didn't read the whole thread but do you even have any arguments what makes creatine is so good?
There's enough data that points out that creatine is good stuff. It's one of the most studied molecule of the past decade and there's even scientific data that it could be useful for many diseases. It's useful in dystrophies, various muscular diseases and even ischemic and traumatic brain injuries. The list of diseases that creatine supplementation is potentially useful is very long. As for creatine being an ergonic molecule, it's proven as well. The results are not as incredible as it's marketed but they're still very real and statistically significant. As most of you already know, the Creatine-ATP energy system (alactic anaerobic) is the first to be depleted when doing an intense effort, and it's also the most powerful energy system. By supplementing creatine, you can elevate your intra-muscular creatine levels which is helpful for that ; improving your creatine-atp system. It's not about aesthetics or water-retention. It's about improving the alactic anaerobic system, so you can be more powerful. That's pretty much how it's useful. For some people, this is of no help, and for some other people it's very useful because of the sports they do.

There's almost no side effects to creatine supplementation with a normal dosage. Don't forget that we're meant to eat meat and meat contains creatine. It's not like you're taking a steroid, you're only taking food supplement that your body was meant to eat in meat anyways.

Then there's the issue of creatinine, and all the fuss arround it. We use creatinine as a marker of renal clearance. We use a mathematic formula to determine clearance based on the creatinine levels. That doesn't mean that creatine or creatinine has anything to do with renal failure, it's just that we use a marker that's correlated with lean body mass.

edit : I need to add something... Some brands have been tested with industrial by-products in their creatine. This is the kind of stuff that's unhealthy as hell. This is why it is better to stick with brands that have a good track record (german-based creatine is usually the most pure). And I wouldn't recommand creatine just for anyone, I still think that eating well and training well should be fixed before taking creatine, as it yeilds even more results anyways, and it's much more cost-effective.

Last edited by ChemiseBleuHonnete: 07-09-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old
07-09-2010, 05:19 PM
prevail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
There.
I'm curious now since we have so many experts on here. If you take creatine, and get an extra 2 extra reps in your exercises for a month straight, you're telling that once you stop, the extra 2 reps you did that pushed your muscle to maybe grow more then if you didn't do those 2 reps (maybe not a lot, but a bit), will magically disappear?

And you say it's psychological, well why is that a bad thing? If you have a kid who's 110 lbs and is starting to work out, never really was into the whole workout thing, start taking creatine, drink water, and his muscles get bloated, giving him an appearance of larger muscles. You don't think that'll help him continue to work out? And maybe give him a little motivation... Of course it's fake, it's water retention and if someone doesn't know creatine is water retention, they didn't do their research and are dumb. To say creatine is the most useless supplement out there it outrageous, there are 1000's more useless supplements.

I pay $10 for 3 months of creatine, and if someone wants to call me fake for having bloated muscles, they need a better life....

Old
07-09-2010, 06:16 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
I actually eat cereal every morning and it's worked out fine for me. I eat Kashi Go Lean Crunch. I dunno, everyone is different I guess. I do limit my sugars for the rest of the day, so maybe that makes up for it.

One thing to add to your egg suggestion is make sure to get the freshest eggs possible and try for organic free range, or at least cage-free/free run. It seriously makes a giant difference in taste for me and I think it's well worth the added cost. Sprinkle a little smoked paprika on top of some fried eggs if you're missing bacon.
Ya, from what I've read, free range eggs will also have a better omega-3 to omega-6 ration.

I used to eat a lot of cereal (Kashi and Nature's Path) for breakfast, but the sugar and carbs in it can gave me a bit of a crash. I find since I've gone away from them,, my energy levels have stabilized and I feel better at work. To each their own though.

Old
07-09-2010, 06:51 PM
m00ks

Quote:
There's enough data that points out that creatine is good stuff. It's one of the most studied molecule of the past decade and there's even scientific data that it could be useful for many diseases. It's useful in dystrophies, various muscular diseases and even ischemic and traumatic brain injuries. The list of diseases that creatine supplementation is potentially useful is very long. As for creatine being an ergonic molecule, it's proven as well. The results are not as incredible as it's marketed but they're still very real and statistically significant. As most of you already know, the Creatine-ATP energy system (alactic anaerobic) is the first to be depleted when doing an intense effort, and it's also the most powerful energy system. By supplementing creatine, you can elevate your intra-muscular creatine levels which is helpful for that ; improving your creatine-atp system. It's not about aesthetics or water-retention. It's about improving the alactic anaerobic system, so you can be more powerful. That's pretty much how it's useful. For some people, this is of no help, and for some other people it's very useful because of the sports they do.

There's almost no side effects to creatine supplementation with a normal dosage. Don't forget that we're meant to eat meat and meat contains creatine. It's not like you're taking a steroid, you're only taking food supplement that your body was meant to eat in meat anyways.

Then there's the issue of creatinine, and all the fuss arround it. We use creatinine as a marker of renal clearance. We use a mathematic formula to determine clearance based on the creatinine levels. That doesn't mean that creatine or creatinine has anything to do with renal failure, it's just that we use a marker that's correlated with lean body mass.

edit : I need to add something... Some brands have been tested with industrial by-products in their creatine. This is the kind of stuff that's unhealthy as hell. This is why it is better to stick with brands that have a good track record (german-based creatine is usually the most pure). And I wouldn't recommand creatine just for anyone, I still think that eating well and training well should be fixed before taking creatine, as it yeilds even more results anyways, and it's much more cost-effective.
I'm not going to go into the potential medical benefits creatine brings fighting various diseases since the context of this discussion lies in training and muscle building. I've always been well aware of the small "boost" creatine gives you during your workout but your gains and actual volume increase is just not sustainable. Once your off it, there is a drop off in size and strength, plain and simple.

I've had no quarrel with anyone taking it. That's their prerogative. I personally hated it because of the drop off during the unloading phase, not to mention the bloated feeling and dehydration risks it presents. I simply think for the average Joe whose looking for a supplement to gain true muscle mass, creatine should be near the bottom of the list.

I'm still curious though how you think supplementing glutamine is essentially wasting my money. Why don't you elaborate on that.

Old
07-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
There.
Say, if you ever open up that gym with your buddy, let me know. I'd be very interested in attending a gym owned by a fellow HFer.

HF Discount?

Old
07-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Sebaldian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Ya, from what I've read, free range eggs will also have a better omega-3 to omega-6 ration.

I used to eat a lot of cereal (Kashi and Nature's Path) for breakfast, but the sugar and carbs in it can gave me a bit of a crash. I find since I've gone away from them,, my energy levels have stabilized and I feel better at work. To each their own though.
Yeah, I can see how some people would have that issue with it. I mean, I guess I'd probably be better off with some fresh fruit or eggs or something in the morning but I find if I don't eat the second I wake up then I don't feel like eating for a few hours so I gotta eat whatever is fastest and easiest to make while still half asleep.

Old
07-09-2010, 11:48 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Yeah, I can see how some people would have that issue with it. I mean, I guess I'd probably be better off with some fresh fruit or eggs or something in the morning but I find if I don't eat the second I wake up then I don't feel like eating for a few hours so I gotta eat whatever is fastest and easiest to make while still half asleep.
Haha, ya I can definitely see that. A lot easier to throw some cereal, milk, and berries into a bowl for an easy breakfast.

However you look at it, there are way worse thing out there than Kashi Go Lean for breakfast though!

Old
07-10-2010, 12:04 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Say, if you ever open up that gym with your buddy, let me know. I'd be very interested in attending a gym owned by a fellow HFer.

HF Discount?
I would hope so. See the numbers he wants to charge?

Old
07-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Dialamo
Nu Joyzee Dovals

Quote:
What is the purpose of doing those 2 extra reps exactly??..you think this is what will make you gain strength and mass?? That's ridiculous. The day you'll stop taking creatine, you won't be able to do those extra reps. So again, what's the purpose??..

Listen to your body man. If you're working out clean of performance enhancers, and your body is telling you to really stop at the 8th rep, then maybe just maybe you should listen to it. Taking anything that will trick your body into thinking it's okay to continue when you usually can't shouldn't be considered as a good thing.
How the hell are you supposed to build good muscle if you aren't going that extra rep? That extra rep is super crucial for trying to get big. You gotta feel that burn to build big muscles. Stopping when your mind feels like you should stop should never be good enough. I can't stress hard enough how crucial that extra rep or two is. The more your muscle fibers tear, the better. I can guarantee you that it will take longer for one guy to grow 17 inch arms (bicep and triceps circumference) by only doing 8-9 reps per exercise than another guy who is doing 10-11 reps.

I don't get your point on how creatine is some sort of "trick" for your body. If it is giving your muscles extra energy to do extra reps, that means in most cases a healthy individual can handle that extra one or two reps.

Quote:
Once your off it, there is a drop off in size and strength, plain and simple.
There is a minor drop off in size, that is true, due to the loss of water retention. However, the strength loss after stopping creatine use is pure and simple, a load of BS. The strength gains you make while on creatine will remain. There will be less energy of course when you stop using it, like saying only being able to do 8-9 reps instead of 10-11, but people commonly mistake this as strength loss instead of energy loss.

Old
07-10-2010, 09:39 AM
kevkiranov

I've chosen to go to progym Serge Moreau afterall... Anyone know a good personnal trainer there to build a program and technique? Thanks.

Here are the pics below:

Old
07-10-2010, 09:58 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkiranov View Post
I've chosen to go to progym Serge Moreau afterall... Anyone know a good personnal trainer there to build a program and technique? Thanks.

Here are the pics below:

You don't necessarily need a personal trainer, see how it goes without one for a bit. I find them to be too expensive and semi-pointless if you know the basics of working out and the form of most of the exercises. I work out with a friend of mine who shows me all the right stuff to do and tells me when my form is off, don't have to pay him a dime.

Old
07-10-2010, 10:06 AM
kevkiranov

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
You don't necessarily need a personal trainer, see how it goes without one for a bit. I find them to be too expensive and semi-pointless if you know the basics of working out and the form of most of the exercises. I work out with a friend of mine who shows me all the right stuff to do and tells me when my form is off, don't have to pay him a dime.
I agree with that, but I personally never used a gym or gym equipment before. While I agree that I can try out on my own, progress will be way easier if I know the proper technique. Besides, I need to know which machines to use to do a proper training for my goals, how many reps to do, starting weight/resistance, etc etc. Once I'm started, it will be way easier to follow up afterwards.

Old
07-10-2010, 10:17 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkiranov View Post
I agree with that, but I personally never used a gym or gym equipment before. While I agree that I can try out on my own, progress will be way easier if I know the proper technique. Besides, I need to know which machines to use to do a proper training for my goals, how many reps to do, starting weight/resistance, etc etc. Once I'm started, it will be way easier to follow up afterwards.
Yeah, you might have a point if you've never really worked out on machines or free weights before and you're unfamiliar with how to get started. It's probably a good way to get started actually. But having a workout buddy (whether you need help or not) is still a really good motivational tool to get to the gym and stay for your whole workout. Good if you need someone to spot you too.

Let us know how it goes.

Old
07-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialamo View Post
How the hell are you supposed to build good muscle if you aren't going that extra rep? That extra rep is super crucial for trying to get big. You gotta feel that burn to build big muscles. Stopping when your mind feels like you should stop should never be good enough. I can't stress hard enough how crucial that extra rep or two is. The more your muscle fibers tear, the better. I can guarantee you that it will take longer for one guy to grow 17 inch arms (bicep and triceps circumference) by only doing 8-9 reps per exercise than another guy who is doing 10-11 reps.

I don't get your point on how creatine is some sort of "trick" for your body. If it is giving your muscles extra energy to do extra reps, that means in most cases a healthy individual can handle that extra one or two reps.

There is a minor drop off in size, that is true, due to the loss of water retention. However, the strength loss after stopping creatine use is pure and simple, a load of BS. The strength gains you make while on creatine will remain. There will be less energy of course when you stop using it, like saying only being able to do 8-9 reps instead of 10-11, but people commonly mistake this as strength loss instead of energy loss.

Not that creatine doesn't work, because it does and it's one of the supplements that's actually backed up by data. But training to failure on every set I don't think is a good idea at all and muscle gain isn't only related to muscle tear either. I've gotten almost all of my gains without creatine and with reps ranging anywhere from 1 rep to 10 reps. My favorite range is 5 to 8 for hypertrophy. 5 reps is a great range for most guys lacking mass. Not that there's no place for pure hypertrophy in training.

Maybe you should've mentioned doing 8-9 reps at the same weight the other guy is doing 10-11 , no? And anyways, it can be more like half a rep or a quarter of a rep more, statistically significant, but not really that usefull. From 8 to 11 is a 37% increase in reps, way above what you can expect from creatine. Even from 9 to 10 is an 11% increase, which again is high.

Closed Thread