HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Battle of the Bulge/General Fitness

Closed Thread

Old
07-29-2010, 06:35 PM
speed11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Look in the mirror, not the scale. No one gets super bulky super fast outside of the Arnolds/Coleman of this world and even then, it took years. Just for the sake of talking, the bulky look often comes from having a lot of fat in the muscle tissue or just holding on to a lot of water, when you lose it, there's not much left. If you've never been very lean, you can't know if you really are a good muscle builder or not. That said, plenty of things could've happened: weighed yourself at a different time of day, got more muscle (2-3 of lean mass, which seriously, is completely normal since you just started), gained water... though it's possible you also gained 1lbs of fat without knowing (though that would suppose a 3500cals excess this week, which I doubt). But seriously, don't look at it week to week, but months to months, year to year and then for the rest of your life.
well said, little man. i won't get too discouraged if i've added or lost weight, mirrors don't lie...granted i see myself every minute of every day, so it's a little harder for me to tell if i've added more mass, but my friends have told me that i look bigger, so i'll take their word.

i'll weight myself usually every 3 weeks, right when i wake up, granted it's at my lightest, but it is the best time to weight yourself, imo. i'm up from 177.2 to 178.4 from july 1st to the 26th. excited to break that 180 mark.

Old
07-30-2010, 08:20 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Pretty impressive. Keep up the good work. 9lbs a month is pretty decent rate.
Thanks! Ya, I'm very happy with the weight loss so far. I just need to start lifting a bit more to make sure I don't lose the muscle. We're moving to a house in September, so I'll have more room to workout then. (I can't bring myself to start going to the gym)

I'm hoping not to go too far under 200 (I'm aiming for 195, although we'll see how I look when I get there). At this rate, I'm hoping I'll reach my goal weight in September.

Old
07-30-2010, 09:37 AM
Seb
Need more Therrien

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Seb
Ok guys, I need something to replace my mid day snack (at around 3pm). I've been eating a hop et go chocolate bar for a couple years now but I want to replace it with something that will satisfy my hunger and that will help me with my workout as well.

Since I'm going to get braces in a month, I would like to replace the bar for shakes.

Now, what kind of shake would be good for me?

I've been working out 2 days per week since the last month (used to be 1 or twice per month before) and I intend to keep the pace.

Also, when's the best time to take Whey protein? before or after workouts? I usually workout at 8pm an hour after dinner.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:08 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
Ok guys, I need something to replace my mid day snack (at around 3pm). I've been eating a hop et go chocolate bar for a couple years now but I want to replace it with something that will satisfy my hunger and that will help me with my workout as well.

Since I'm going to get braces in a month, I would like to replace the bar for shakes.

Now, what kind of shake would be good for me?

I've been working out 2 days per week since the last month (used to be 1 or twice per month before) and I intend to keep the pace.

Also, when's the best time to take Whey protein? before or after workouts? I usually workout at 8pm an hour after dinner.
You can google "whey protein shake" and find different recipes. I think my gf has it in the morning and has whey protein+bananas+spinach(not a lot) or something random plus maybe extras that I don't remember.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Seb
Need more Therrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
You can google "whey protein shake" and find different recipes. I think my gf has it in the morning and has whey protein+bananas+spinach(not a lot) or something random plus maybe extras that I don't remember.
I'm not actually looking for a recipe for Whey protein but the best time to take it. Is it better to take it before your workout or after?

EDIT : Oh I see you're replying to the shake part of my thread, thanks! Is it good to take Whey protein for workouts and also for mid snacks?? Wouldn't it be too much? Since I'm 5'5 and 147pounds I guess I'd take aroung 20g of Whey protein. The day I workout I could take 20g for my mid snack and 20g before/after the workout for a total of 40g for the day?

I really don't know how Whey protein works tbh.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Galchenyuk94

200 mL of oasis juice (orange, or orange-mango)
1/2 cup frozen mangos
1/2 cup frozen strawberries

Blend

Add 1 scoop whey protein powder

Blend again

They sell that at the YMCA and it's delicious

Old
07-30-2010, 10:13 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
I'm not actually looking for a recipe for Whey protein but the best time to take it. Is it better to take it before your workout or after?
I've been reading up on it like mad this past week. From what I understand, there's two types of whey protein. Slow-absorbing and regular. The regular type you take after your workout, and the slow-absorbing type you take before, because it gives you proteins slow and steady during and after your workout.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Mue

I remember when this thread first popped up and I thought it was time to get back into shape.

I haven't really monitored by weight loss all that closely but I know when I proposed to my girlfriend in November I was around 215. I'm now 175 and my goal is 150-155 by the time of our wedding (Aug 27, 2011 - about a year from now). Should be easily attainable if I don't sink back into my bad habits.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:21 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I remember when this thread first popped up and I thought it was time to get back into shape.

I haven't really monitored by weight loss all that closely but I know when I proposed to my girlfriend in November I was around 215. I'm now 175 and my goal is 150-155 by the time of our wedding (Aug 27, 2011 - about a year from now). Should be easily attainable if I don't sink back into my bad habits.
Good stuff man, how tall are you? 150 lbs is light as a feather

Old
07-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
Good stuff man, how tall are you? 150 lbs is light as a feather
Around 5'6 (probably just under).

Old
07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I think I've lived my whole live with dehydration.

I never used to sweat during physical activity of any kind. Now that I've been drinking a lot of water due to creatine, increased physical activity (drumming way more than I used to, the gym, hockey), and because I've acquired a taste for it, I now actually sweat.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
EDIT : Oh I see you're replying to the shake part of my thread, thanks! Is it good to take Whey protein for workouts and also for mid snacks?? Wouldn't it be too much? Since I'm 5'5 and 147pounds I guess I'd take aroung 20g of Whey protein. The day I workout I could take 20g for my mid snack and 20g before/after the workout for a total of 40g for the day?
I wouldn't take protein supplements on days you don't workout.

A good replacement for your hop and go bars would be 'Nature Valley fibresource honey & almond bars', the green boxes in the granola bar section. And they fill you up pretty good (because of the fiber)

If I knew how to post a picture without attaching thumbnail I'd post a pic of the box. They're the most nutritious good tasting bars I've found. They're whole grain, have flaxseed and almonds, 5g of fiber per bar, low fat, etc.

Old
07-30-2010, 10:45 AM
Seb
Need more Therrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
I wouldn't take protein supplements on days you don't workout.

A good replacement for your hop and go bars would be 'Nature Valley fibresource honey & almond bars', the green boxes in the granola bar section. And they fill you up pretty good (because of the fiber)

If I knew how to post a picture without attaching thumbnail I'd post a pic of the box. They're the most nutritious good tasting bars I've found. They're whole grain, have flaxseed and almonds, 5g of fiber per bar, low fat, etc.
We have them at home (Jee likes them, I don't) but like I said, I want to get rid of the bars for mid day snacks since Imma get braces next months.

Shakes would be the best

Old
07-30-2010, 11:32 AM
twosaints

Quote:
We have them at home (Jee likes them, I don't) but like I said, I want to get rid of the bars for mid day snacks since Imma get braces next months.

Shakes would be the best
If they're typical ol' braces you'll end up relying on shakes quite a bit, considering after tightening appointments you're not going to be able to eat anything solid for a good day or two without being in absurd amounts of pain.

Old
07-30-2010, 11:44 AM
LyricalLyricist

Okay, basically, how can I improve my lunch:

Can of Tuna
1 bocconcini
1 baked sweet potato
1 bagel
2 Peaches
1 glass of orange juice

I'm prob having too many carbs, so what should I replace it with? I assume the juice can be water and the empty calories on the bagel be removed. Kept bagel to fill me up though cuz the rest isnt enough.

Old
07-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:

I really don't know how Whey protein works tbh.

It's not an AAS, so don't worry about how it "works". Usually, bodybuilders take their shake after their workout. However, there's plenty of evidence for putting sugar/dextrose in your shake. About 30 to 60gs of it... now if you want to lose weight and you're not getting your diet in order, those calories can hurt you. You can just eat some lean meat + fruit + oatmeal instead and not worry about the whey. Take your whey when you have nothing else, you can take it as a mid snack no problem, it beats easily beats eating a chocolate bar. There's no too much protein, there's too much carbs or too much fat, but protein is always ok lol.

As far as slow vs fast acting. There's no slow absorbing whey, by definition whey is fast absorbing. The slow absorbing protein supplement is casein (we're talking hours), which is 80% of milks protein. Since a workout is 1h, it would make way more sense to take whey before your workout and not casein (though there's evidence of a combination being optimal... milk anyone?). Casein is usually for the rest of the day and even then, it's largely irrelevant. Just don't eat horribly.

Old
07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Seb
Need more Therrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosaints View Post
If they're typical ol' braces you'll end up relying on shakes quite a bit, considering after tightening appointments you're not going to be able to eat anything solid for a good day or two without being in absurd amounts of pain.
Yeah that's what I've been told by many of my friends who had braces, but my dentist said that the kind of braces I'll have won't hurt me at all. Even after the tightening appointments.

He better be right cause It's going to be expensive as hell.

Old
07-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed11 View Post
well said, little man. i won't get too discouraged if i've added or lost weight, mirrors don't lie...granted i see myself every minute of every day, so it's a little harder for me to tell if i've added more mass, but my friends have told me that i look bigger, so i'll take their word.

i'll weight myself usually every 3 weeks, right when i wake up, granted it's at my lightest, but it is the best time to weight yourself, imo. i'm up from 177.2 to 178.4 from july 1st to the 26th. excited to break that 180 mark.
Good job my carb sensitive friend.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:16 PM
maxpower2010*

Quote:
Yeah that's what I've been told by many of my friends who had braces, but my dentist said that the kind of braces I'll have won't hurt me at all. Even after the tightening appointments.

He better be right cause It's going to be expensive as hell.
Regardless of whether it hurts or not, braces are so worth it.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:40 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Okay, basically, how can I improve my lunch:

Can of Tuna
1 bocconcini
1 baked sweet potato
1 bagel
2 Peaches
1 glass of orange juice

I'm prob having too many carbs, so what should I replace it with? I assume the juice can be water and the empty calories on the bagel be removed. Kept bagel to fill me up though cuz the rest isnt enough.
Ironically, in my experience, the bagel might fill you up right away, but it'll make you hungry again a couple of hours later.

In that meal, I'd sub the glass of orange juice for water (you're getting enough sugar from the peaches.
I'd also swap that bagel for some veggies (carrots or peppers are usually quick and easy). If you're worried about staying full longer, almonds are great to snack on as well.

Old
07-30-2010, 12:47 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
Ironically, in my experience, the bagel might fill you up right away, but it'll make you hungry again a couple of hours later.

In that meal, I'd sub the glass of orange juice for water (you're getting enough sugar from the peaches.
I'd also swap that bagel for some veggies (carrots or peppers are usually quick and easy). If you're worried about staying full longer, almonds are great to snack on as well.
Thanks buddy! I think I can do with the almonds or carrots no problem.

Old
07-30-2010, 01:56 PM
Sebaldian

Finally under 200lbs. First time in roughly 5 years. Pretty ****ing stoked. At my current pace I should reach my goal weight of 185lbs in October/November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
If you're worried about staying full longer, almonds are great to snack on as well.
I can vouch for this as well. Very filling.

Old
07-30-2010, 02:17 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

Where can I buy Whey protein?

I guess places likes Metro/IGA don't sell it and Jean Coutu/Uniprix too.

Any places downtown near a metro?

Old
07-30-2010, 02:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Where can I buy Whey protein?

I guess places likes Metro/IGA don't sell it and Jean Coutu/Uniprix too.

Any places downtown near a metro?
I know Costco and GNC do.

Old
07-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Seb
Need more Therrien

Quote:
I know Costco and GNC do.
I'd be looking to buy this one brand : http://www.optimumnutrition.com/prod...ard-p-202.html

I've looked on Costco's website and it seems they don't sell Whey protein from this brand.

Last edited by Seb: 07-30-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Closed Thread