HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Battle of the Bulge/General Fitness

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Galchenyuk94

vCash: 500
Yeah Costco, GNC, Popeyes and I bought some at Maxi & Cie like 5 years ago in the pharmacie section.

Old
07-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Cool, I just went on GNC's website (didn't know what was this pace) and there's one on Ste-Catherine at close to the Bell Center and they seem to be selling Optimum Nutrition's whey protein.

\O/

Old
07-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
I'd be looking to buy this one brand : http://www.optimumnutrition.com/prod...ard-p-202.html

I've looked on Costco's website and it seems they don't sell Whey protein from this brand.
it cost way too much IMO ... go to Costco and buy their 5lbs whey protein ... It is sometimes at only 19.99 $ , regular price at 39.99 $

Old
07-30-2010, 08:43 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

So after a week of eating salads (with lean meat) for the last days - for dinner - I had my cheat meal tonight: 2 pizza slices, 1 chicken and 1 veggie

It felt good, but I deserved it

By the way, I see more and more people buying veggie pizza sclices, thinking it's healthy

Are they that stupid?

Old
07-30-2010, 11:35 PM
Galchenyuk94

I've been eating like a mad man since I started training.

Today, I had..
0% fat vanilla yogourt with bran buds and rasberries for breakfast.
Granola bar for snack
Club sandwich minus the third layer of bread and bacon for lunch
6 sushi rolls for snack
1 bag of baby carrots for another snack
1 egg + 4 egg white omelette + 2 whole grain slices of bread for supper
1 can of low sodium tomato soup + crackers for snack

Nothing but water to drink all day

I'm still effing hungry

And ^^^ I think people just think it's healthier, not necessarily healthy. I don't think anyone thinks a slice of greasy white flour pizza dough topped with lots of high fat mozzarella is healthy! A few mushrooms and green peppers won't save you on that one

Old
07-31-2010, 12:13 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardo View Post
I've been eating like a mad man since I started training.

Today, I had..
0% fat vanilla yogourt with bran buds and rasberries for breakfast.
Granola bar for snack
Club sandwich minus the third layer of bread and bacon for lunch
6 sushi rolls for snack
1 bag of baby carrots for another snack
1 egg + 4 egg white omelette + 2 whole grain slices of bread for supper
1 can of low sodium tomato soup + crackers for snack

Nothing but water to drink all day

I'm still effing hungry

And ^^^ I think people just think it's healthier, not necessarily healthy. I don't think anyone thinks a slice of greasy white flour pizza dough topped with lots of high fat mozzarella is healthy! A few mushrooms and green peppers won't save you on that one
Very true

By the way, is your 0 fat vanilla yougourt without added sugar?

And for ur club sandwich, did you have whole grain?

And for omelette, try replace the bread with veggies; omelette with onions+mushrooms+red peppers+a little olive oil = yummy

Old
07-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post
Very true

By the way, is your 0 fat vanilla yougourt without added sugar?

And for ur club sandwich, did you have whole grain?

And for omelette, try replace the bread with veggies; omelette with onions+mushrooms+red peppers+a little olive oil = yummy
There's no added sugar, it says sweetened with sucralose.

Club sandwich, yes it was with whole grain.

I do put veggies in my omelette, but I feel like I need some bread with it to fill me up. I should cut carbs during the evening though, you're right.

Old
07-31-2010, 12:45 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
There's no added sugar, it says sweetened with sucralose.

Club sandwich, yes it was with whole grain.

I do put veggies in my omelette, but I feel like I need some bread with it to fill me up. I should cut carbs during the evening though, you're right.
Don't worry about still being hungry, your stomach will shrink and adapt to eating less soon. I'm already eating less than i used to.

Old
07-31-2010, 01:00 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Don't worry about still being hungry, your stomach will shrink and adapt to eating less soon. I'm already eating less than i used to.
I don't want to starve myself on gym days though. I'm pushing real hard at the gym. I eat half of what I said on a rest day. I don't know exactly how many calories I burn in a day, I just hope I'm still creating a calorie deficit.

The only thing that sucks is that after a workout you're not craving a effing tuna sandwich or a bag of carrots

You want some bacon, potatoes, sausages, french toast, pizza... Hopefully in a few weeks these foods will sound disgusting to me (or so I've read) But I def. call shenanigans on that one.

Old
07-31-2010, 01:02 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I don't want to starve myself on gym days though. I'm pushing real hard at the gym. I eat half of what I said on a rest day. I don't know exactly how many calories I burn in a day, I just hope I'm still creating a calorie deficit.

The only thing that sucks is that after a workout you're not craving a effing tuna sandwich or a bag of carrots

You want some bacon, potatoes, sausages, french toast, pizza... Hopefully in a few weeks these foods will sound disgusting to me (or so I've read)
nothing is wrong with eating potatoes, or sausage. Eat some rotisserie chicken, have a steak. There's tons of great food that you can have in moderation that when prepared right, tastes great.

Old
07-31-2010, 01:12 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
nothing is wrong with eating potatoes, or sausage. Eat some rotisserie chicken, have a steak. There's tons of great food that you can have in moderation that when prepared right, tastes great.
I'm really going all out though. I want to speed things up. Besides, if I were to choose between a steak and potatoes, or a tuna sandwich and 3 beers, I choose the latter, that's how much I miss beer.

I have no problem preparing great food, I just need to get creative with the boring stuff. I've successfully cut out red meat of my diet for 6 days and counting

It's all or nothing for me. I can't do cheat days or whatever you call them. I'll probably go crazy in a few weeks but I'll keep this going as long as I can.

You def got something on that rotisserie chicken. I'll head out to metro tomorrow and pick me up a BBQ chicken, a can of St-Hubert BBQ sauce, and make some cole slaw

Old
07-31-2010, 01:17 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I'm really going all out though. I want to speed things up. Besides, if I were to choose between a steak and potatoes, or a tuna sandwich and 3 beers, I choose the latter, that's how much I miss beer.

I have no problem preparing great food, I just need to get creative with the boring stuff. I've successfully cut out red meat of my diet for 6 days and counting

It's all or nothing for me. I can't do cheat days or whatever you call them. I'll probably go crazy in a few weeks but I'll keep this going as long as I can.

You def got something on that rotisserie chicken. I'll head out to metro tomorrow and pick me up a BBQ chicken, a can of St-Hubert BBQ sauce, and make some cole slaw
i find st hubert bbq sauce pretty weak, the best pre-packaged gravy for chicken i've found is French's BBQ sauce which comes in these sachet's. See if you can find it. If not I'll gladly give you one if you don't mind swinging by montreal north

Red meat isn't evil either man, a steak or two a week can be good for you, as long as it's not in ridiculous portions.

But i feel for you if you want beer. Just like i completely go nuts over chips and allow myself a bag a week. They say when you completely cut yourself off from that one thing you can't resist, you'll do more damage because you'll automatically overcompensate for not having that one item.

Old
07-31-2010, 01:27 AM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
i find st hubert bbq sauce pretty weak, the best pre-packaged gravy for chicken i've found is French's BBQ sauce which comes in these sachet's. See if you can find it. If not I'll gladly give you one if you don't mind swinging by montreal north

Red meat isn't evil either man, a steak or two a week can be good for you, as long as it's not in ridiculous portions.

But i feel for you if you want beer. Just like i completely go nuts over chips and allow myself a bag a week. They say when you completely cut yourself off from that one thing you can't resist, you'll do more damage because you'll automatically overcompensate for not having that one item.
I'll give that gravy a try. I won't be swinging by, I'm a west islander without a car

I know red meat isn't evil, I don't crave red meat in the form of a steak though, so I don't feel deprived. I crave fatty salty meats like bacon and breakfast sausages, and a salami sandwich. I've always preferred chicken over beef since I was a kid. I'm just starting to learn to like different kinds of fish more.

Beer on the other hand... I told myself I'd let myself drink 1 night a week, but that I wouldn't get smashed like I usually would. Prob just 6 beers and I'll call it a night.

Old
07-31-2010, 01:47 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
I'll give that gravy a try. I won't be swinging by, I'm a west islander without a car

I know red meat isn't evil, I don't crave red meat in the form of a steak though, so I don't feel deprived. I crave fatty salty meats like bacon and breakfast sausages, and a salami sandwich. I've always preferred chicken over beef since I was a kid. I'm just starting to learn to like different kinds of fish more.

Beer on the other hand... I told myself I'd let myself drink 1 night a week, but that I wouldn't get smashed like I usually would. Prob just 6 beers and I'll call it a night.
Well chicken is great, one tip though, if you're going to grill or do chicken breast, don't get skinless, always cook with the skin on so as to protect the meat from drying out, if you want to remove the skin afterwards, that's fine.

You can have a large amount of chicken everyday, it's great for you. I've been centering most of my days around chicken, eggs, tuna or some form of pork. I did weekly groceries today, only got one pack of bacon even if it was at a great price *sigh*. God some great looking porkchops which are super lean (and I trim off the extra fat around the sides anyway), and some Maigre boeuf haché, to make hamburgers with, although i'll be eating it without the bun *sniffle*. Cheese is definitely still on the menu though.

One thing i've always had trouble with was snaking, find yourself something healthy that you can eat all day and won't hurt you. I've fallen in love with this particular flavor of source yogurt. I could eat entire containers of the stuff each day and it would still be fine.

Old
07-31-2010, 02:18 AM
LyricalLyricist

Good day until I went with the poutine for midnight snack lol. Ruined it. No worries, it happens. 2morrow I run and eat healthy again. The results will come. Been telling myself, even if I eat bad one day, no biggie, next day back on track.

Old
07-31-2010, 02:21 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Good day until I went with the poutine for midnight snack lol. Ruined it. No worries, it happens. 2morrow I run and eat healthy again. The results will come. Been telling myself, even if I eat bad one day, no biggie, next day back on track.
i had a poutine today too, didn't eat all of it, only 95%, and that was the 'petite'.

Old
07-31-2010, 02:23 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Well chicken is great, one tip though, if you're going to grill or do chicken breast, don't get skinless, always cook with the skin on so as to protect the meat from drying out, if you want to remove the skin afterwards, that's fine.

You can have a large amount of chicken everyday, it's great for you. I've been centering most of my days around chicken, eggs, tuna or some form of pork. I did weekly groceries today, only got one pack of bacon even if it was at a great price *sigh*. God some great looking porkchops which are super lean (and I trim off the extra fat around the sides anyway), and some Maigre boeuf haché, to make hamburgers with, although i'll be eating it without the bun *sniffle*. Cheese is definitely still on the menu though.

One thing i've always had trouble with was snaking, find yourself something healthy that you can eat all day and won't hurt you. I've fallen in love with this particular flavor of source yogurt. I could eat entire containers of the stuff each day and it would still be fine.
For snacking I usually go half on a Activia yogurt container as a midnight snack. If I'm not hungry, I avoid it. I also got small packaged apple sauce containers(like 50 ml) as a "I need something, but i'm keeping it small snack". I got a few nutrigrain bars and wtv. I haven't used the snacks all that much which I think is a positive. I try to hold out as much as I can.

Old
07-31-2010, 02:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
i had a poutine today too, didn't eat all of it, only 95%, and that was the 'petite'.
I got the large chicken poutine lol. I love it. Oh well.

Old
07-31-2010, 02:30 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
For snacking I usually go half on a Activia yogurt container as a midnight snack. If I'm not hungry, I avoid it. I also got small packaged apple sauce containers(like 50 ml) as a "I need something, but i'm keeping it small snack". I got a few nutrigrain bars and wtv. I haven't used the snacks all that much which I think is a positive. I try to hold out as much as I can.
i checked out activia but the numbers on the back could not compare with Source, and i heard the flavor was off. Only good thing i heard about activia was that it helped with uh... digestion. :p

Old
07-31-2010, 02:35 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
i checked out activia but the numbers on the back could not compare with Source, and i heard the flavor was off. Only good thing i heard about activia was that it helped with uh... digestion. :p
Looking at the nutritional value online, seems like source wins this one. I might switch over then.

Old
07-31-2010, 10:45 AM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Okay, basically, how can I improve my lunch:

Can of Tuna
1 bocconcini
1 baked sweet potato
1 bagel
2 Peaches
1 glass of orange juice

I'm prob having too many carbs, so what should I replace it with? I assume the juice can be water and the empty calories on the bagel be removed. Kept bagel to fill me up though cuz the rest isnt enough.
how is a bagel have empty calories ? The only product who have ''empty calories'' I know is alcohol.Beside this , they are no bad calories.......Now how can you improve your meal is a very hard question because it's depend if this meal helps you get your macro-nutriment and your calories needs at the end of the day.

Here's how to calculate the number of calories you need :

Quote:
BMR ( basic metabolic rate ) = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)
Where LBM (lean body mass ) = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100
This is considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean and who have a good understanding of their bodyfat %.

To then convert to a TEE ( Total Energy Expenditure) you multiply the BMR from the above equations by an Activity Factor
1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Light exercise or sports 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderate exercise or sports 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)
Then you have to adjust your calories intake with your goal ( + 500 if you want to bluk up , - 500 is you want to cut).

Now that you know your calories needs , you have to know where you have to take thoose calories......Protein ? Carbs ? Fat ? ( macro-nutriement).Btw Carbs is the only one no-essentiel.

1g of protein = +/- 4 calories
1g of carbs = +/- 4 calories
1g of fat = +/- 9 calories

here how to calculate your macro-nutriement :

Quote:
1. Protein: Although most accurately based on LEAN MASS it is easiest just to set up a general starting point:
Protein (grams) = 1-1.5 x total weight (pounds).
If you are VERY LEAN or very LOW IN TOTAL CALORIE INTAKE then you need to stick to close to, or increase ABOVE, 1.5 x weight.... (eg: 2 x LEAN MASS)
If you are VERY OVERWEIGHT or VERY HIGH IN TOTAL CALORIE INTAKE then you should stick closer to, or decrease slightly BELOW 1 x weight (eg: 1 x LEAN MASS)...

2. Fats: Generally speaking, although the body can get away with short periods of very low fat, in the long run your body NEEDS fat to maintain general health, satiety, and sanity.... If you are following a 'normal distribution' of intake you should be aiming for something between 0.35-0.5 x LEAN MASS POUNDS (if highly overweight) or 0.35-0.5 x TOTAL WEIGHT POUNDS (if lean).
Note 1: Total fat intake is NOT the same as 'essential fats' (essential fats are specific TYPES of fats that are INCLUDED in your total fat intake)...
Note 2: For those who are on LOW carb diets, or those who have SPECIAL NEEDS - fat intakes CAN BE HIGHER with values up to 1 x total weight often used.

3. Carbs: Although carbs help with workout intensity, health, and satiety (and sanity) with no specific 'requirements' for your body, carbs are basically used by most as 'the extra stuff' that fills in the rest of your calorie requirements once the above two factors are considered. Obviously if your HIGHLY ACTIVE or trying to GAIN MASS then you will likely need MORE carbs to fuel your workouts and your body. If you are NOT active or if you are DIETING - then you obviously don't need / can't eat as much....
So to calculate your carbs you simply do this: [Total calories - ([protein grams as above x 4] + [fat grams as above x 9])]/4

Quote:
Where can I buy Whey protein?

I guess places likes Metro/IGA don't sell it and Jean Coutu/Uniprix too.

Any places downtown near a metro?
If you go to GNC , you have to buy 2 pot at the same time because the second will be 50 % off . If you buy just one, the price is ridiculous ; 69 + tax for 5lbs of ON gold standard.

At gnc :
5lbs ON = 77 $ ( tax in )
2X 5lb ON = 58 $ each

On Bodybuilding.com
5lbs = 58 ( tax in + shipping include)

Old
07-31-2010, 11:16 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
how is a bagel have empty calories ? The only product who have ''empty calories'' I know is alcohol.Beside this , they are no bad calories.......Now how can you improve your meal is a very hard question because it's depend if this meal helps you get your macro-nutriment and your calories needs at the end of the day.
There are actually websites that do the calculations for you.

I merely suggested the battle I had was empty calories because it's 200 calories a bagel, 40G of carbs and very little vitamins or wtv. It's not whole grain or whole wheat, white bread bagel i'll try to avoid if I'm trying to lose weight no? That's just my take. While I do understand what you're saying, I pretty much had enough carbs from fruits and juice and it wasn't necessary.

Old
07-31-2010, 11:22 AM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauce514 View Post
If you go to GNC , you have to buy 2 pot at the same time because the second will be 50 % off . If you buy just one, the price is ridiculous ; 69 + tax for 5lbs of ON gold standard.

At gnc :
5lbs ON = 77 $ ( tax in )
2X 5lb ON = 58 $ each

On Bodybuilding.com
5lbs = 58 ( tax in + shipping include)
Buying 2 is a risk, there's a chance I don't like the taste of it.

Old
07-31-2010, 11:28 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Buying 2 is a risk, there's a chance I don't like the taste of it.
I'm sure there's someone here that would go half with you. If not, find a backup. If say you don't like it, they will take the 2nd at the price you bought it. Considering it helps you and him/her save money by going half, some may be interested no?

Old
07-31-2010, 05:15 PM
twosaints

Weighed myself today, 118 One pound to go for my goal weight when I first signed up for this...although I might change the goal. Not sure I care about my actual weight right now as much as I do the strength and HIIT training I'm doing. I feel like my strength and endurance has massively improved. And I can finally do some proper renegade rows with 10 lbs I'd like to try heavier, but 10 lbs is as heavy as I have at home.

Closed Thread