HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal

Old
06-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Joe McGrath

vCash: 500
Marc Staal

I know JR won't do this because it won't fit in his budget, but Staal and the Rangers are far apart in contract discussions and he's kind of exactly what the Hurricanes need and happens to be our captain's brother. It's not like opportunities like this fall out of the sky every day. An offer sheet isn't going to get the job done because it would have to be at an outrageous price the Rangers wouldn't match and that's not going to happen, so they would have to work out a trade a la Kessel last year.

I know this is probably a pipe dream but at least its something to talk about now that the draft is over and the Canes don't plan to be active in free agency.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

We already probably won't be able to sign one of Joni or Tim, so there is no way were going out and signing a high priced D man... We should have damn signed Seids last year, but sigh, now we might be in trouble with the D soon

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:03 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
We already probably won't be able to sign one of Joni or Tim, so there is no way were going out at signing a high priced D man... We should have damn signed Seids last year, but sigh, now we might be in trouble with the D soon
Don't worry. King Anton will save the day.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Marc will stay a Ranger. This is simply the same haggling process that Eric and Jordan went through when they got new contracts.

Besides, I thought the general consensus was that the Staal brothers preferred being on separate teams. Whenever they're asked about it, they never give that "I'd be ecstatic, sunshine and happiness" response.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Joe McGrath

Yeah I don't see it happening either, but what are the odds Joni stays? Is he really going to sign for less than market value, when all you have to do is be semi useful to get a huge payday on defense? I just look at the future of the Canes defense and despite all the draft picks if Joni bolts the picture on the blue line is scary at best.

Old
06-28-2010, 01:13 PM
geehaad

Maybe the Rangers would be interested in one of the Canes' D prospects that's nearly NHL-ready...like Sanguinetti.

geehaad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Marc will stay a Ranger. This is simply the same haggling process that Eric and Jordan went through when they got new contracts.

Besides, I thought the general consensus was that the Staal brothers preferred being on separate teams. Whenever they're asked about it, they never give that "I'd be ecstatic, sunshine and happiness" response.
Didn't the Hurricanes just trade for a Staal brother? Maybe they don't want to play together but I wouldn't put much stock in quotes that are simply being loyal to the current teams they play for.

Old
06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
Yeah I don't see it happening either, but what are the odds Joni stays? Is he really going to sign for less than market value, when all you have to do is be semi useful to get a huge payday on defense? I just look at the future of the Canes defense and despite all the draft picks if Joni bolts the picture on the blue line is scary at best.
I see Joni staying over Timmy. Joni has been on two teams to which he hated. He actually seems pretty happy here. Grant it that may have to do with his fellow countrymen being here, but he seemed to settle in before Ruutu came on board.

I just always get the sense from Timmy that once he's a free agent, he's testing the waters.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
This is really the main reason I didn't like the Skinner pick... Not as much about Skinner as it was about how bad our D is going to look in a year or two.. It's already mediocre at best, but damn, after Joni bolts and maybe even Tim, holy crap we are terrible LOL

Old
06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
I see Joni staying over Timmy. Joni has been on two teams to which he hated. He actually seems pretty happy here. Grant it that may have to do with his fellow countrymen being here, but he seemed to settle in before Ruutu came on board.

I just always get the sense from Timmy that once he's a free agent, he's testing the waters.
I don't know...next year a lot of contracts (Brindy, Cole, Samsonov) are off the books and we have a lot of younger, cheaper guys. I think even with a budget, we can afford Pitkanen and Gleason.

I think they both kind of like it here. Not saying they won't leave if we low-ball them, but Pitkanen has friends on the team and has found a home here. Gleason has been "annointed" one of the key guys by the management in many ways and they are doing everything they can to make him feel like he is a key cog.

Personally, I think they both will be re-signed.

Boom Boom Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
I don't know...next year a lot of contracts (Brindy, Cole, Samsonov) are off the books and we have a lot of younger, cheaper guys. I think even with a budget, we can afford Pitkanen and Gleason.

I think they both kind of like it here. Not saying they won't leave if we low-ball them, but Pitkanen has friends on the team and has found a home here. Gleason has been "annointed" one of the key guys by the management in many ways and they are doing everything they can to make him feel like he is a key cog.

Personally, I think they both will be re-signed.
I think the only way we get Joni is if he resigns before this season... I think Tim will be back, esp if we don't resign Joni

Old
06-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Joe McGrath

I think Gleason should be priority #1, if he can stay healthy for a full season. Joni is going to be really expensive on the open market and the Canes can't afford to be paying $19-20 million to 3 guys and keeping the salaries of the whole team at or around $45 million. Something has to give somewhere. Isn't Jussi going to be a free agent after this year as well?

Old
06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath
I think Gleason should be priority #1, if he can stay healthy for a full season. Joni is going to be really expensive on the open market and the Canes can't afford to be paying $19-20 million to 3 guys and keeping the salaries of the whole team at or around $45 million. Something has to give somewhere. Isn't Jussi going to be a free agent after this year as well?
Gleason has 2 years left on his. Pitkanen is up next year as is Jussi. Is a safe bet to say that both will get nice raises either with us or someone else. We have a lot of contracts coming off the books next summer. Its gonna be interesting.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I really believe Joni will walk and get $6 mil from someone... We can't afford 3 contracts over $6 mil...

Old
06-28-2010, 03:17 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
I really believe Joni will walk and get $6 mil from someone... We can't afford 3 contracts over $6 mil...
6$ mil? No way imo.

He will stay here for 4.5-5 max.

Pitkanen is not a player for big markets. He found home here.

Pitkanen, Gleason and McBain must be our d core. Dumoulin is two year away probably.

Maybe we won't resign Pitkanen if McBain steps as a good PPQB and minute eater but i don't believe. He's not on this leven yet.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Mossy Oak
Noted.

vCash: 50
This will definitely be an interesting season for both Pitkanen & Jokinen. If Jokinen can put up another 65+ point season, he'll be due for 3-4 easy from someone I am sure. Whether or not that will be us, I don't know. Joni, i'd want to go to 5/per (max of 5.5) with him but wouldn't be stuck on going above that number. That's just my feeling. I'm not stuck on paying Joni 6 million. As for Gleason, I hope he sticks around long term, every team can use what he brings, so long as he can stay healthy of course.

Mossy Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:59 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Pitkanen is not a player for big markets. He found home here.
Agreed, I think that aspect is overlooked when talking about resigning Pitkanen. He's already with his 3rd team, and I'm sure he values being here pretty highly. Unless we completely bomb next year and are at the bottom of the league for the whole year, I think he'll really want to stay. You could tell his play dropped off when our team wasn't doing well, it seemed he got disinterested. But when we're competitive, he's right there playing his best hockey. My guess is he'll get some sort of front loaded 4 year deal something along the lines of 5.5, 5, 5, 4.5.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:14 PM
totaltank

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY4N View Post
Agreed, I think that aspect is overlooked when talking about resigning Pitkanen. He's already with his 3rd team, and I'm sure he values being here pretty highly. Unless we completely bomb next year and are at the bottom of the league for the whole year, I think he'll really want to stay. You could tell his play dropped off when our team wasn't doing well, it seemed he got disinterested. But when we're competitive, he's right there playing his best hockey. My guess is he'll get some sort of front loaded 4 year deal something along the lines of 5.5, 5, 5, 4.5.
I keep saying this, but posts like the above make complete and total sense. Joni definitely has found a home here, and he's actually looked at as the leader of the Finnish contingent. Having said all that, when it comes time, money will win out. We've seen in time and time again. It's just the way it works.

Getting back on topic, I think the Canes would be *nuts* not to at least make a call regarding Marc Staal. He's exactly the player the Canes need. He's a shutdown d-man who moves the puck well, and he's just coming into his prime. If we have to go over budget to get it done, fine. Marc Staal is worth far more to this team than he would cost to acquire him. I would think we'd try to work out a trade rather than go the offer sheet route. Especially with our stockpile of near-NHL ready talent.

I think there are two reasons the Staal brothers don't get more outwardly excited about playing together. First of all, they don't get outwardly excited about a whole lot of anything. They are very even-keel kids. Secondly, I believe they -- unlike a great many athletes -- realize how great it is to be able to play in the greatest hockey league in the world and make a living doing it. I honestly don't think they care where they play, because they are just born hockey players. I don't think they give a hoot which team they play for or who their teammates are. They're going to go out and play hard regardless.

Having said all this, I need to shut up because I'm getting myself excited for no reason.

totaltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Who's to say JR hasnt already called about him? We will never know if nothing happens. But yeah, it would be nice to get him, and honestlyy, I wonder how much the Rags would like a wonderful defenseman with a bomb of a shot and a great goal scorer from the blueline in Anton Babchuk.......well, you know.....

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:49 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
I keep saying this, but posts like the above make complete and total sense. Joni definitely has found a home here, and he's actually looked at as the leader of the Finnish contingent. Having said all that, when it comes time, money will win out. We've seen in time and time again. It's just the way it works.

Getting back on topic, I think the Canes would be *nuts* not to at least make a call regarding Marc Staal. He's exactly the player the Canes need. He's a shutdown d-man who moves the puck well, and he's just coming into his prime. If we have to go over budget to get it done, fine. Marc Staal is worth far more to this team than he would cost to acquire him. I would think we'd try to work out a trade rather than go the offer sheet route. Especially with our stockpile of near-NHL ready talent.

I think there are two reasons the Staal brothers don't get more outwardly excited about playing together. First of all, they don't get outwardly excited about a whole lot of anything. They are very even-keel kids. Secondly, I believe they -- unlike a great many athletes -- realize how great it is to be able to play in the greatest hockey league in the world and make a living doing it. I honestly don't think they care where they play, because they are just born hockey players. I don't think they give a hoot which team they play for or who their teammates are. They're going to go out and play hard regardless.

Having said all this, I need to shut up because I'm getting myself excited for no reason.
make a proposal for him then. what could we offer?

MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:53 PM
bleedgreen

maybe babs fits in here, always thought the rangers were interested in him. i think if there are players out there jr would do anything for, its the staals.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:06 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Was just pointed out in another thread that JR said on XM that Carson and Picard were not qualified....will be looking for DMen come thursday....what? So He is actually looking on the FA market? wow

my point is: not qualifying picard and carson + looking for FA Dmen + Marc Staal having problems getting contract in NY = make Sather an offer for M Staal and get him on the Canes!

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

If Jussi puts up another 30+ goals and 65+ points, I'm happy to pay him whatever he wants.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:22 PM
AD Skinner

Without getting too specific, I will say that there would be bodily fluids flowing inside my pants if Marc Staal played here. He would instantly turn the defense from scarily mediocre to pretty sturdy, even if (maybe especially if) Babchuk was headed to Broadway.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 05:22 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

You guys that think Joni is signing for $4.5 again, after a career year are smoking the purple weed... Have you looked at what some offensive Dmen are getting... I am predicting a 4/22-24 on a the free market