HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Qualifying offers

Old
06-28-2010, 03:56 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Potulny and Pouliot not qualified.
Jeff Paukovich not qualified.
Colin McDonald (group 6 UFA)
Ryan Stone (group 6 UFA)
Josef Hrabal not qualified
bolded is the surprise

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:57 PM
yysguy

vCash: 500
Steve Kelly anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Bonsignore for his being terrible, was the guy to pick there, that draft, iirc, was pretty damned brutal.

Yeah if you look, it was brutal.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl1994e.html

The Oilers still got the best guy in the 1st round, Smytty.

The Pouliot-Parise debacle is clearly the worst.
Crowd: "Doan! Doan! Doan"
Oilers: "The Edmonton Oilers are proud to select Steve Kelly..."

Definitely the worst.

If the Oil had not traded with NJ, they may still have selected Pou with their pick. I doubt if they even had Parise on their broken radar. The Oil thought Pou > Parise. They figured they'd still get the guy they wanted by trading down a few spots.

yysguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
We are discussing qualifying offers. I am wondering why a demonstrably awful player like JFJ gets a raise while a serviceable, if unspectacular player like TPFKAMAP gets cut loose.

Capice?
If it came down to Jacques or Pouliot I would keep Jacques. That said, I would've qualified MAP.

06-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefTO View Post
Does this mean Omarra is on a one way deal?
I highly doubt it. I think it has to do with how many NHL games they've played?

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:01 PM
McLion
Gretzky to McDavid

I'm not really surprised Potulny didn't get qualified. He was pretty much invisible most of the season and only got 1 goal in his last 20 games.

McLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:01 PM
billranford30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
To add to what was posted...

A player is an asset... If a team believes the asset has value - either as a player on their team or as trade bait to get another teams assets (i.e. a player or a draft pick), then a qualifying offer will be given.

When no qualifying offer is given, the team has basically announced that the player has no value in the NHL...
Not necessarily. It's more indicative of them not being worth what they were paid on their last contract.

If a player was vastly overpaid on his last contract, he'll just sign his qualifying offer. Rob Niedermayer is a great historical example of this. He just kept signing qualifying offers and teams just kept biting the bullet and paying him.

Not offering a qualifying offer can be a means of correcting an overpay. In Pouliot's case, the Oil may even attempt to resign him at a $200,000 pay cut.

billranford30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If it came down to Jacques or Pouliot I would keep Jacques. That said, I would've qualified MAP.
The only reason I can think of for keeping JFJ is they want him for the farm where he can actually play a role. Otherwise, it's a waste of a roster spot for the big team.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Blatherblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud11 View Post
Funny how some people always seem to overvalue our players from a 30th place team. IMO Potulny didn't do enough to get a 1 way contract for this team. I would have loved him on the Barons, but that's not going to happen here.
But his QO would have been a 2-way, if I recall correctly, and since he wants a 1-way, there would be very little risk in just giving him the QO and letting him mull it over.

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:05 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
The only reason I can think of for keeping JFJ is they want him for the farm where he can actually play a role. Otherwise, it's a waste of a roster spot for the big team.
Size and physicality. We need to have some of it in the bottom 6, when healthy Jacques brings both in droves.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
No I think they want him on the roster. When Jacques was healthy he was our most physical guy. He's a big boost to the team imo.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Calgary McOilers

vCash: 2747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatherblah View Post
But his QO would have been a 2-way, if I recall correctly, and since he wants a 1-way, there would be very little risk in just giving him the QO and letting him mull it over.
I don't think he would be motivated in the Oklahoma after playing in the NHL last season. Not with the same organization anyway.

Calgary McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
We are discussing qualifying offers. I am wondering why a demonstrably awful player like JFJ gets a raise while a serviceable, if unspectacular player like TPFKAMAP gets cut loose.

Capice?
Like I said, JFJ is debatable and probably on very thin ice where the Oil are concerned. How is Pouliot considered serviceable when a 30th place team cuts him loose? That is reality.

Heavy Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Jmask83

First of all the Oilers that cut Potulny and Pouliot aren't the same Oilers that finished the season. Since than Hall, Eberle, MPS, Omark, have come into the picture, not to mention Hemsky is back from injury and the Oilers aquired Colin Fraser. So its much different.

Jmask83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
Perfect_Drug

I'm pretty sure the interview had a LOT to do with who stays and who goes. And Pouliot probably said things that didn't endear him to our management. Who knows what went on in the dressing room, but being a 30th place team, he might have been one of the dressing room cancers.

Pouliot had scoffed at the notion that he would ever take on a Guy Carbanneau role TO THE MEDIA.

Pouliot firmly believes in his mind he is a Top 6 forward in this league, and he will be scoring the big goals, putting up the big points, and outplaying the other teams best players.

Regardless of what he might have accomplished (which isn't much) he might just not be someone we want on our team.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
Like I said, JFJ is debatable and probably on very thin ice where the Oil are concerned. How is Pouliot considered serviceable when a 30th place team cuts him loose? That is reality.
Tautology. By the numbers, Pouliot is a far superior player to JFJ. My eyes tell me the same thing.

Old
06-28-2010, 04:16 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Size and physicality. We need to have some of it in the bottom 6, when healthy Jacques brings both in droves.
I'm almost the same height and weight as JFJ (we're the same height, but I actually outweigh him by 8lbs), I can skate ok, and I'd gladly launch myself at anyone wearing an opposing team's jersey, but that doesn't mean I'd be a great fit in the Oilers' bottom 6.

You've got to be able to play the game, and Jacques hasn't shown an ability to do that at this level.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:23 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I'm almost the same height and weight as JFJ (we're the same height, but I actually outweigh him by 8lbs), I can skate ok, and I'd gladly launch myself at anyone wearing an opposing team's jersey, but that doesn't mean I'd be a great fit in the Oilers' bottom 6.

You've got to be able to play the game, and Jacques hasn't shown an ability to do that at this level.
This. Leaving aside who ever else may or may not be in the lineup, a good team doesn't waste a big league roster spot on a guy like JFJ.

Old
06-28-2010, 04:27 PM
Gusher

Ryan O'Marra is more important to the OKC Barons than Potulny and Pouliot are to the Oilers.

That's how I see it.

Plus, Colin Fraser is better suited for the bottom 6 than both of those guys.

It's time to move on from the soft players. This is a good start.

More to come no doubt.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Why on earth would they give a qualifying offer to Ryan O'Marra?

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:

You skate o.k. and he skates fast for a big guy and he's willing to take on heavyweight fighters, can you do either?

Old
06-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Bryanbryoil

The funny thing is that while everyone is whining about Potulny and Pouliot the guy that we waived last year will probably have a better career than either of them.

Old
06-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Why on earth would they give a qualifying offer to Ryan O'Marra?
Good question, I guess for AHL depth, we need that too if we are to improve as an entire organization from top to bottom.

Old
06-28-2010, 04:35 PM
No Good Names Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
didnt say I agreed with JFJ and OMarra...it was time for Pouliot to move on though. puts an end to the biggest draft blunder in Oiler history
Uhhh, Jason Bonsignore????

No Good Names Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:37 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
You skate o.k. and he skates fast for a big guy and he's willing to take on heavyweight fighters, can you do either?
Those are the wrong questions to ask. Seriously, the game is hockey. It involves a puck, two nets, goaltenders, and sticks. Players need to be aware of all of those things before fighting even comes into the equation.

It's clear that you and I will just never agree on anything relating to this sport.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Ragss

Quote:

I understand the point you're making (I'm 6'5 260, I often ponder the fact I'm bigger than any oiler) but he's more than just size...at least the management thinks he should be. He's put up the numbers in Junior and the AHL to keep some dim flicker of hope alive that he could be a good bottom 6er.

On a somewhat unrelated note, its funny to think that despite JFJ's failings offensively in the NHL if he showed up to a pick up game in Edmonton he would be orders of magnitude better than everyone else.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote