HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Qualifying offers

Old
06-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Kayen
Dubnykov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toes View Post
I wonder if Steve is gonna offer Jeff a contract.
Steve has said he doesn't want his son on the same team.

Kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:01 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
The Oilers had 22 forwards that played on the team in 09/10 (granted that was because of so many injuries during the season) and they've now got MPS, Hall, Eberle and Fraser to add to that pile. That's 26 forwards all fighting for 12 spots. At some point it's a numbers game... someone's gotta go... or at least has to go temporarily and come back cheaper if they want a spot in the organization.

I'm neutral on Potulny and MAP being let go... obviously they didn't work into the team's plans going forward so why hang onto them? Let them go and they can have a start elsewhere... that's what's best for them and the Oilers.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
While we're at it.

Pouliot 176gp. 21-32-53
Schremp 51gp. 7-21-28

I bet you were one of the ones throwing a party when Schremp left yet who looks like the better player? The one that got virtually no chance with the Oilers or the one that got 176 games worth?
Not sure how Poo's numbers break down but a better way to look at Schremp's: 1st 26 games (over 4 seasons) - 8 points. Last 25 games - 20 points (as 3rd line C with Sim and Comeau).

Right now, they're both still fringe NHL players but Schremp had to play his way into the Isles lineup last year and they're going to give him a chance this year to show he's part of their rebuild. We'll have to see what happens to Pouliot - good luck to him.

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:17 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
While we're at it.

Pouliot 176gp. 21-32-53
Schremp 51gp. 7-21-28

I bet you were one of the ones throwing a party when Schremp left yet who looks like the better player? The one that got virtually no chance with the Oilers or the one that got 176 games worth?
BBO, I dunno how many times it's been said on this board but stats don't tell the whole story. Schremp might have a better PPG at this point but if I'm a GM I taking the one that can skate and hope he can turn into a third line shut down center man. Personally I'm glad they let MAP go as I don't think he would be worth the money they would have had to qualify him for but don't get on your horse and start making this into a MAP vs Schremp debate.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Gusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidote View Post
Not sure how Poo's numbers break down but a better way to look at Schremp's: 1st 26 games (over 4 seasons) - 8 points. Last 25 games - 20 points (as 3rd line C with Sim and Comeau).
How did you come to this conclusion?

Maybe I'm missing something somewhere in the discussion.

Schremp had 25 Points in 44 Games last season with the Isles. Previous to that he had 4 Points in 7 Games over 3 Seasons.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Pouliot underlying numbers = Good.
Schremp underlying numbers = Bad.

One of these players was hotshotted to the top-line with far superior players and still only managed 0.5 PPG. The other is a bottom six player who has played almost exclusively in the bottom six.
Schremp played a VERY small handful of games on the top line, before saying out things like that it may help if you watch some games to see who a player's linemates are/were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
The one that got 176 games worth. Schremp does what he does well, but he's pretty one-dimensional. He can find a role in the right environment, he's kind of the forward equivalent of MAB he instantly adds to your offense and he's a good pinch hitter on the PP if your team is lacking in terms of top shelf offensive guys; but he doesn't bring the completeness to his game to be valuable outside of the niche that he provides.

As for Jacques I recognize and appreciate the value a wrecking ball like him can bring, but he really has shown no improvement in his time on the roster. His hands and hockey sense are just to far below the norm to cut it as an NHL regular in my opinion, even as a bottom 6 guy. As for him being an AHL signing I think you guys are copping out as to why he was retained over Pouliot and Potulny, ultimately I think management plans to keep with the team as an extra forward if nothing else, while it would probably be better spent on someone else.
There's pinch hitting in hockey? Will we be seeing some bunts and fielder's choices next season? Perhaps a 6-4-3 double play?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
BBO, I dunno how many times it's been said on this board but stats don't tell the whole story. Schremp might have a better PPG at this point but if I'm a GM I taking the one that can skate and hope he can turn into a third line shut down center man. Personally I'm glad they let MAP go as I don't think he would be worth the money they would have had to qualify him for but don't get on your horse and start making this into a MAP vs Schremp debate.
Did you watch Schremp after he hit his stride? His skating was not even remotely an issue anymore before he got hurt. Both have their pro's/con's, and it could be argued that neither were handled worth a crap by this organization.

06-29-2010, 12:51 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Schremp played a VERY small handful of games on the top line, before saying out things like that it may help if you watch some games to see who a player's linemates are/were.

There's pinch hitting in hockey? Will we be seeing some bunts and fielder's choices next season? Perhaps a 6-4-3 double play?

Did you watch Schremp after he hit his stride? His skating was not even remotely an issue anymore before he got hurt. Both have their pro's/con's, and it could be argued that neither were handled worth a crap by this organization.
This, I agree with! Lets hope the organization has figured out how to deal with prospects and our new batch of prospects are handled better then the last batch. And no I didn't get to see Schremp in an Islander's jersey I was just going off what I'd seen of him with the Oiler's.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 12:58 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
I'm sorry, I'll correct myself.

He played half a dozen games on the top-line, spent time on the third line where he was WELL behind such ES offensive beasts such a Robert Nilsson with a whopping 2 goals in 44 games.

Meanwhile loaded up early on PP points with much better players than himself.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Gusher

On a side-note, Charles Linglet is off to the KHL.

OKC is going to need a few recruits! Makes sense even more now as to why they decided to keep O'Marra and Reddox.

Gusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 02:13 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
That's a shame.

He's a former first rounder that had a monster season in the AHL 2 seasons ago.

Unfortunately he's a small-ish LW.

I would rather have him as a "project" than Nilsson or PoS.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
It seems to me that Brule was qualified from a two way to a two way, either on his last contract or the one before that. Unfortunately the cap sites switch over to next year at this time of year, so it's harder to find details like this.

In any event, I believe that if you had a 2 way as an RFA when your contract expired, the qualification requirement is measured relative to the one way salary but does not necessarily require a one way offer to retain a player's RFA status. Hopefully someone will correct me on this if I'm off. It does make sense to me, however, since nothing requires a player to sign his qualifying offer, even if he says an RFA. Plus, since there is no compensation on RFA offer sheets below a million (probably more now), the RFA is not harmed if the team doesn't offer a one way because he's still free to shop himself around to get one.

If (possibly big if), I'm right on this, then qualifying a guy like O'Marra over MAP makes sense because the former is on an expiring 2 way. Plus I also recall that a big part of O'Marra's NHL salary cap hit was bonus, so I think he's a lot cheaper on his second contract without the bonus.
Sir, you are indeed correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
Last comment is that any player you qualify at a one way should be better than every other player you could get at that price or less over the course of the summer. If not, you shouldn't qualify. This does not close the door on MAP, but it requires him to decide whether he think's he can make more elsewhere if he won't take a pay cut. Personally, I think the Oilers can get a player to play fourth line centre for less than MAP's qualifying raise, so to me, this is the kind of move you have to be willing to make within the cap system.
I think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head with this post.

MAP would be qualified on a one way deal at about $900K. That's a lot of money to pay a guy who's role this year at best would be to act as a fill-in, but more likely is destined for OKC. Fraser is clearly better suited to the bottom six. And as of right now the Oilers have enough guys to fill the first three spots up the middle.

And what is MAP's longterm role on this team? If he's your #2 center, then we are all in for a long strecth of serious hurt. Horcoff seems destined for the #3 spot, and they have Lander and Vande Velde in the wings for the number 4 spot. PLus a whole new crop of big mobile centers from this year's draft.

JFJ is cheaper, and he brings at least one thing to the table that MAP does not. He can really fight. But I would not read into this that the team is sold on him long-term. What we are likley looking at is a place holder.

I must say the at first Potulny surprised me, until I saw that he is going to be 26 in September. So he is a UFA next year, and what you have seen from him is likley the best you are going to get. Again, what is his longterm role?

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:40 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I'm pretty sure the interview had a LOT to do with who stays and who goes. And Pouliot probably said things that didn't endear him to our management. Who knows what went on in the dressing room, but being a 30th place team, he might have been one of the dressing room cancers.

Pouliot had scoffed at the notion that he would ever take on a Guy Carbanneau role TO THE MEDIA.

Pouliot firmly believes in his mind he is a Top 6 forward in this league, and he will be scoring the big goals, putting up the big points, and outplaying the other teams best players.

Regardless of what he might have accomplished (which isn't much) he might just not be someone we want on our team.
If the bolded part is true, then he made a big mistake. If he ended his career drawing comparisons with Guy Carbonneau he could hold his head high. There was not a single guy on the Oilers roster last year that is a lock to have a better career than Carbonneau.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:58 AM
420ilerBuzz*

Send a message via Skype™ to 420ilerBuzz*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
He doesn't want to pull a Lacroix. I don't blame him.

Last edited by 420ilerBuzz*: 06-29-2010 at 10:07 AM.
420ilerBuzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
The Islanders didn't qualify Bergenheim or Tambellini. I would love to have Bergenheim as a bottom sixer.
I agree, I've always been a fan of Bergenheim.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
hemskysuncle

I really liked Potulny...I think he will be a 30 goal scorer at least one year...he has a nose for the net that truly exceeds his actual skill, but just knows how to use the tools he has. Unfortunately I think he wouldn't succeed in edmonton because 1. there are a lot of more skilled kids coming up challenging the spot he barely hangs onto, and 2. he doesn't have an immovable contract like some

As for poo...well the best part of having him on the team was his nickname....other than that, fairly unspectacular to say the least...he will end up in Switzerland...

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
If the bolded part is true, then he made a big mistake. If he ended his career drawing comparisons with Guy Carbonneau he could hold his head high. There was not a single guy on the Oilers roster last year that is a lock to have a better career than Carbonneau.
Nobody on the oilers roster will have a better career than Carbonneau. Anyways from what I gathered it was more the look on his face that Stauffer(or whoever it was) come to this conclusion. Not anything he actually said.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
That Pouliot and, to a lesser extent, Potulny didn't receive QOs, yet O'Marra and JFJ did is troubling.
I agree. They're using grandpa's inflexible cookie cutter to form the team. While that may not be a fatal OCD, it can only work if the beef you have available to mash puck and opponent is bona fide NHL material. I love Jacques, but Pouliot produces far better outcomes on the ice, and as a depth player can be put in more varied situations without disaster befalling immediately. O'Marra doesn't even bear mentioning. Neither the Wings nor Hawks would keep the crappier player just because he hits a little.

The only way this decision makes sense is if they plan to upgrade Pouliot via UFA/trade and they need the salary, or if its part of remaking the locker room environment and Pouliot was a cancer. Based on their moaning about how Jacques sucked it up and Pouliot didn't, I wouldn't doubt that's part of it. After all, The Captain once played his heart out on two broken feet, one eye, and a tummy ache. That's the kind of player you keep!

Another window onto the poor decision makers in the organization.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
In the new NHL, hanging onto every asset, or trying to get something back for every asset, is the clear cut best way to fail. Let them go. We're first on the waiver wire and guaranteed to find someone better than these two. Hopefully we can get rid of a few more wasted roster spots by eating a few contracts in the minors.
So will it be easier to find someone better than Pouliot and Potulny, but not Jacques or O'Marra?

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Antidote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
How did you come to this conclusion?

Maybe I'm missing something somewhere in the discussion.

Schremp had 25 Points in 44 Games last season with the Isles. Previous to that he had 4 Points in 7 Games over 3 Seasons.
7 games and 3 points over 3 seasons with the Oilers. 5 points in his first 19 (not 26 - that's the correction) games with the Isles (4th season). 20 points in his last 25 games with the Isles (still 4th season). Total 51 NHL games over 4 seasons for 28 points.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=71793

Antidote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:50 PM
John Hancock

Well, I can't believe we didn't offer Potulny something, but kept guys like Jaques and Reddox. I suppose they are probably more than happy to take 2-way contracts, though.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:55 PM
shogun99

I was hoping that they wouldn't qualify MAP or JFJ, just so we can finally wash our hands completely clean of the 2003/Parise fiasco.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:03 PM
John Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I was hoping that they wouldn't qualify MAP or JFJ, just so we can finally wash our hands completely clean of the 2003/Parise fiasco.
Apparently, Pouliot is tired of being compared to Parise:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...medium=twitter

I find it interesting that he would be so annoyed by it. I honestly didn't think most NHL players followed fan comments. He's going to have to learn to cope with that criticism if he expects to be a regular in the NHL. He's never going to be liked by everyone, especially since he's not a superstar in the league.

It wasn't even criticism of him as a player, for the most part. That decision by the management has constantly come under scrutiny by the fans, but it was a management blunder, and nothing to do with Pouliot himself.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:09 PM
aki

Interesting that Pouliot would complain about comparisons to Parise. I think the fact that the Oilers picked him instead of Parise actually worked in his favour in that he got more rope than he should have. Lowe gave him more chances than he deserved to prove his worth.

aki is offline   Reply With Quote