HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Why are the Leafs interested in so many aging centers?

Old
06-28-2010, 08:10 PM
The Saurus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starnsy View Post
Right...
You probably haven't been a fan that long, but do you remember when the Ducks won the Cup? Yeah, Burke was the architect of that beauty.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:13 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

I'm not sure if I'll have the statistic 100% correct, but John Shannon on PTS Friday, I guess, said something like, 2 rounds of home playoff games for the leafs is more revenue than one team, was it Atlanta? makes in a year...

The leafs want to make the playoffs.

Besides, the leafs need a #1 centre. They don't grow on trees. Trust me, I've seen Burke at many of the parks down town checking each and every tree. He is actually contemplating planting Doug Gilmour and seeing what happens.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
Christ

Pretty hard to tell what the Leafs are looking for at this moment. Burke has said nothing at all regarding the players who he is interested. In many cases (Kovalchuk, Savard) Burke has outright denied interest in the mentioned players on air.

Not sure where the Toronto media is getting their rumours from but they do not fit with the building strategy that Burke has been working along since he came in. Burke has been working to aquire young players with upside in trades pretty much since he came to TO. Not saying that he will stick to this strategy, but until something happens no one can say what Burke is planning.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:26 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
It's an honest question.

Please don't turn it into a Leafs bashing thread, as that's not the intention.

I mean, are they not supposed to be rebuilding and getting younger? So why is it rumoured constantly that they are interested in guys like Savard and Ribeiro?

Sure, those two are great talents and would instantly improve their team, but they are also getting older and have large contracts....the exact thing that young teams should try to avoid.

To me, rebuilding means picking good players in the draft and not signing/acquiring players with large/long contracts.

I just don't get it. Is it just an example of Burke trying too hard to fast track the rebuild? Or is it just an example of him not being to keep his hand out of the cookie jar?
Few things come to mind.

1) What the media says and "The Leafs" are interested in -- are probably two different things.

2) The UFA class is weak with -- only Kovolchuk available -- as a top end talent.

3) Burke has shown serious interest in younger, bigger, players; notably wingers. But GM's of opposing squads don't want to part with the likes of Bobby Ryan or Jeff Carter--totally understandable.

4) Knowing that there isn't anything out there as a UFA to get excited about--least not anyone interested in signing in Toronto and the fact he has very few assets to acquire such a player in a trade--he needs to look at the "poor man's" version of a top 6 forward.

Savard at what the expected asking price is, is basically a FA signing. So the question is do you like the contract?

Ditto for Ribeiro, at 5 million per, declining production and no physical attributes to speak of--other than some whining skills; the asking price is probably within reach.

So think of it this way, you're Burke, you're at a store and you need to buy a car cause yours is broken; you'd like a new Mercedes but only have 12 grand. The dealer shows you this used model that a few years old but should last at least 3-4 years, was a nice ride--you're just a little worried it'll break down. Now you can't afford the Mercedes, so do you ride the bus, or buy the 4 year old Caddy and hope it some good mileage left. My take: Burke takes his 12K and puts it back in the bank saves a few more pennies or waits until there is a sale on Mercedes.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:27 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavsson View Post
You probably haven't been a fan that long, but do you remember when the Ducks won the Cup? Yeah, Burke was the architect of that beauty.
Murray laid the bricks, Burke just had to put a roof on it.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Pepin le bref

Maybe a bonafide 1st line center isn't an absolut need...a 2nd line center à la Matthew Lombardi could fill the bill until Kadri is ready and when he is, Kadri, Bozak, Lombardi down the middle could look decent (although a little small).

Pepin le bref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:30 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
It's an honest question.

I mean, are they not supposed to be rebuilding and getting younger? So why is it rumoured constantly that they are interested in guys like Savard and Ribeiro?

Sure, those two are great talents and would instantly improve their team, but they are also getting older and have large contracts....the exact thing that young teams should try to avoid.

To me, rebuilding means picking good players in the draft and not signing/acquiring players with large/long contracts.

I just don't get it. Is it just an example of Burke trying too hard to fast track the rebuild? Or is it just an example of him not being to keep his hand out of the cookie jar?

They currently have the second youngest team in hockey. What's wrong with adding a veteren? Especially if you possibly could get him at a reduced rate?

You make it sound like they're only trading for old guys. They've done nothing but get much younger since Burke became GM.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:31 PM
Leafidelity

vCash: 1775
Toronto finished the season as the second youngest team in the NHL. We need an established player or two to play on the first line with Kessel. We don't need a player who could do that down the road (Kadri could be that) we need one right now. As much as it shocks HFboards hivemind, the Leafs aren't rebuilding, they are retooling.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:33 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
And what happens if he continues his negative trend while the Leafs continues to burn over 10% of its cap on the player, and their prospect pool continues to dwindle?
Their prospect pool has gotten far better. No one seems to understand that.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:35 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
It's an honest question.

while this is a rebuild it is not a classic rebuild This team is being rebuilt for the most part by aquiring proven NHL talent (Kadri and Schenn not included in that Catagory) that is why you seeing guys like Kessel Phaneuf and Giguere being brought in instead of being built through the draft it is also the reason why you shouldn't be shocked to see somebody in the mold of a riberio or Savard being aquired at some point.

Bure believes there is more then 1 way to build a team and I think he is right

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:37 PM
BozakKadriKessel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepin le bref View Post
Maybe a bonafide 1st line center isn't an absolut need...a 2nd line center à la Matthew Lombardi could fill the bill until Kadri is ready and when he is, Kadri, Bozak, Lombardi down the middle could look decent (although a little small).

A little small.. Sorry but I don't think burke wants to build his team like Montreals top six.. Jesus with these 3 guys the wingers better be huge or else we will be pushed around every game.

BozakKadriKessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:37 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
Toronto finished the season as the second youngest team in the NHL. We need an established player or two to play on the first line with Kessel. We don't need a player who could do that down the road (Kadri could be that) we need one right now. As much as it shocks HFboards hivemind, the Leafs aren't rebuilding, they are retooling.
Who cares if you had the 2nd youngest team. The reason you do is because you have no vets (25-35 year olds) to fill holes so you're stuck putting in young players to fill them

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:38 PM
RogerRoeper*

In the past year, Burke drafted Kadri, signed Bozak (age 23), traded for Phaneuf (24), Kessel (21) , and signed Hanson (23), Gustavsson (24), Rynnas (22), Scrivens (22) He's only been interested in younger players. What's wrong with adding one veteren? This thread makes no sense.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:39 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
Who cares if you had the 2nd youngest team. The reason you do is because you have no vets (25-35 year olds) to fill holes so you're stuck putting in young players to fill them
They traded those vets. Did you miss that?

Old
06-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Leafidelity

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyG View Post
You have it backwards. We traded our vets for young players last year. They were the wrong vets so we moved them out and let the kids play. We aren't "stuck" doing anything, most of the team is in place and had success in the later half of the season. Goaltending, defense and the bottom part of the forwards is nearly complete, with depth to spare.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch Imlach View Post
As much as it shocks HFboards hivemind, the Leafs aren't rebuilding, they are retooling.
Its hard to tell what to call last years lineup turnaround. Its this isn't
rebuild, what is it? I think retooling is more a time term, than a play
term.

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:41 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Wait...has Burke actually said that he's interested in Savard or Ribeiro?

Bravid Nonahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:42 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradis City View Post
Wait...has Burke actually said that he's interested in Savard or Ribeiro?
He hasn't said a word.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Leafidelity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Its hard to tell what to call last years lineup turnaround. Its this isn't
rebuild, what is it? I think retooling is more a time term, than a play
term.
I think you'll find alot of the players inserted in the lineup in the second half are here to stay. The difference between a rebuild and a retool is how your GM approaches free agency when it comes time to choose talent over a player playing because they're young. Trading for a player like Savard isn't something a rebuilding team would do, its what a team gearing up for the playoffs does.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:50 PM
RogerRoeper*

The Habs re-tooling a year ago worked pretty darn good.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Epictetus
Create yourself.

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by warf1234 View Post
Which is why they won't make the playoffs for another 4 years.
If they were rebuilding, they wouldn't make it for another 4 years.

Epictetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The Habs re-tooling a year ago worked pretty darn good.
The leafs retooled last year and it didn't work very well.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
RogerRoeper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure View Post
The leafs retooled last year and it didn't work very well.
They really didn't though. It was a complete overhaul.

Old
06-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Pure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
They really didn't though. It was a complete overhaul.
The leafs signed Komisarek, beauchemin last year in order to boost their defense. They also traded for Kessel to boost their scoring. Thats a re-tool just like the Habs. They didn't trade away any core players unless you consider Kubina, Moore and Antropov core players.

Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 09:14 PM
mydnyte

Quote:
It's an honest question.

only place these rumors are found i.e. Ribeiro is here on these boards, and Savard has listed Toronto as a team he would be willing to go to, not that Burke was/is pursuing him, but, if he can be had super cheap, Burke should look into it at least.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote