HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2005 Line Projections

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2004, 11:08 AM
Takeo

vCash: 500
2005 Line Projections

The Sabres forward corps is as deep as I ever remember it and with players like Vanek, Gaustad, and Pominville having a reasonable opportunity of making the big club next year, line combos seem endless.

FORWARD CORPS
Chris Drury
Daniel Briere
Miroslav Satan
Jochen Hecht
J.P. Dumont
Maxim Afinogenov
Ales Kotalik
Mike Grier
Derek Roy
Milan Bartovic
Taylor Pyatt
Adam Mair
Andrew Peters
Eric Boulton
Chris Taylor
Tim Connolly
*Thomas Vanek
*Jason Pominville
*Paul Gaustad

What are your thoughts on line combos you'd like to see? And, relatedly, who do you dangle as trade bait for a d-man or pick upgrade?

Old
05-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

these are my favorite threads. lets see

Hecht-Briere-Dumont - I know they arent the typical #1 line, but they play so well together. they bring a little bit of everything to the table, and they are the offensive leaders of the team

Pyatt-Drury-Grier - a solid 2nd line checking unit that can put up good offensive numbers. I put Pyatt on this line to start the season to see if hard workers like Grier and Drury can rub off on him. If his play doesnt pick up its down to the fourth line and/or onto the trade block

Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov - i think it's going to be hard for Bartovic to make the team this year. he was a surprise last year and with the depth he's going to have to have one hell of a camp. the new kid line is even more dangerous. someone else will most likely play the left wing on this line out of camp (bartovic) while Vanek gets some time in Rochester.

Mair-Connolly-Peters - If Connolly is not qualified, Gaustad should get a shot at the 4th line center position. with Connolly and Mair on the 4th line they could get more shifts with someone (Hecht) double shifting in Peters place. When a goon like peters isnt needed in the lineup, id like to see Paille and Pominville get there shots here.

Call ups/Scratches - Bartovic, Gaustad, Pominville, Paille, Taylor

Trade bait
Satan - for the right price....a top tier prospect and mid round pick or 1st round pick and mid level prospect.
Kotalik - 3rd or prospect
Biron - 2nd
Campbell - future considerations or waived
Boulton - future considerations or waived

That trims close to 8-9 million by my guess. enough to resign Zhitnik and the rest of our free agents.

Zhitnik-Kalinin
Mckee-Brown
Tallinder-Jillson

Patrick, Fitzpatrick, Janik

Old
05-21-2004, 01:07 PM
woodfeld2

1st Line - Hecht-Briere-Dumont
I agree with Jame here, this line has chemistry, even though it's not quite a legit # 1 line. Of course, this is all if Satan is traded this offseason, which I think is necessary. We have a lot of forwards that are ready in Rochester and we have a lot of forwards on the current roster that want to play for this team, Satan seems to be waiting to go elsewhere, so trade him for a legit top D-man prospect and a pick. Of course, I don't know who's available to get for him but I think if there was a time to move him, this would be it.

2nd Line - Pyatt-Drury-Kotalik
A decent 2nd line, with hopes that Pyatt and Kotalik can play a consistent game. I think Kotalik is going to bounce back this year, pot 20-25 goals. Who knows with Pyatt. I'm not sold we are going to resign Grier for the $$ he wants when we have a slew of forwards ready to fill his spot.

3rd Line - Bartovic-Roy-Afinogenov
The kid line stays together to at least start the season. I am sure that Vanek will be starting the season in Rochester, much like Afinogenov did when he came over from Russia. They'll call him up after a couple months in Rochester, that's when we'll see if the kid line deserves to stay together.

4th Line - Mair-Gaustad-Peters
A 4th Line nobody will want to face. Big, physical, and plays balls out every shift. I say that Gaustad has to be on this team next year, we need a player like him on the 4th line, with hopes he can play himself into a premier checking 3rd line center.

Reserves: Connolly (not sold that he'll be coming back), Boulton (see if anyone is willing to take him at the draft), Taylor (emergency call up for the beginning of the year), Pominville (deserves a shot at playing, may be good enough to trade someone like Kotalik of Afinogenov if they aren't playing up to par)

D-Men:
Zhitnik-Kalinin
We simply have to sign Zhitnik, we need him badly, unless we can get a legit D-man for Satan. Kalinin will continue to get better and better next year, and will solidify himself as a top pairing D-man, but will he ever become a legit #1 D-man?

McKee-Jillson
I think Jillson deserves a shot at playing on the 2nd pair, McKee is such a solid D-man's D-man, that he can cover for a few of Jeff's defensive shortcomings.

Tallinder-Brown
I think Brown proved he should be on this team next year, hopefully Darcy signs him. Hopefully Tallinder gets some consistency this offseason.

Reserves: Patrick (if he doesn't retire, he is the perfect steady, step-in we need), Campbell (I think he has worn out his welcome here, try to ship him at the draft), ???? (this is the young D-man we get for Satan, whether he is ready for the NHL or stays in Rochester is up to who we get)

Old
05-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Vanek/Kotalik-Drury-Grier
Pominville-Roy-Afinogenov
Peters-Gaustad-Mair

No Pyatt, Connolly, or Satan.

Old
05-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
With Ruff coaching, insert anyone on any line, stir and salt to taste.

Old
05-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Satan-Briere-Dumont
Hecht-Drury-Kotalik
Griere-Roy-Afinogenov
Peters-Mair-Bartovic

That leaves Pyatt, Boulton, Taylor, and Connolly out of the fold. Injuries easily put Pyatt and Connolly back in, but someone is going to end up getting dumped here, considering all the rookies we have with a legitimate chance of making the roster.

Zhitnik-Kalinin
Mckee-Brown
Tallinder-Jillson

Jame's pairings look about right. Personally I think Jillson or Tallinder will play their way past Brown, because, as much as I like him, he isn't a top 4 defenseman by any stretch.

Old
05-21-2004, 02:10 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Vanek-Briere-Satan
Hecht-Drury-Afinogenov
Bartovic-Roy-Pominville
Dumont-Gaustad-Mair

Zhitnik-Kalinin
Mckee-?
Tallinder-Jillson

Miller
Noronen

Scratcheseters,Pyatt,Fitzpatrick,and Brown

? = A proven top 4 D-man via trade or free-agency

Do not qualify Grier or Connolly

James Patrick retires

Use Biron and Kotalik as trade bait

Send Taylor,Boulton, and Paille to Rochester

Old
05-21-2004, 03:24 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4
Hecht-Briere-Dumont
Vanek/Kotalik-Drury-Grier
Pominville-Roy-Afinogenov
Peters-Gaustad-Mair

No Pyatt, Connolly, or Satan.
I like your lines

Old
05-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
Do not qualify Grier or Connolly
I recall Regier stated in a recent interview that he sent qualifying offers to all the Sabres who went to the World Championships so they would be covered by insurance.

Old
05-21-2004, 03:35 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
I recall Regier stated in a recent interview that he sent qualifying offers to all the Sabres who went to the World Championships so they would be covered by insurance.
So does that mean none of our players will become UFA's? or is it just the players in the World Championships?

Old
05-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY
So does that mean none of our players will become UFA's? or is it just the players in the World Championships?

The ones at the WC were already qualified and the remainder need to be qualified by the June 30th. Regier did indicate the Sabres would probably qualify everyone.

I'd also expect the Sabres to make liberal use of the provision in the CBA that permits qualifying offers to be 2-way contracts for players that didn't appear in 60 games last season. I think Connolly and Campbell are sure bets to get 2-way offers and we might even see it happen to McKee.
http://letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=10
Quote:
(iii) A Club's Qualifying Offer must be a
one-way Player Contract if the applicable player has (A)
actually played (excluding games missed for illness or injury)
180 or more games in the League in the previous 3 seasons, (B)
played at least 60 games in the League in the previous season,
and (C) not cleared waivers in the previous season. For purposes
hereof only, a goalkeeper is deemed to have played a game when he
was dressed and on the bench as a backup. In all other cases, a
Qualifying Offer may be a two-way Player Contract.

Old
05-21-2004, 05:30 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

McKee's played 180 or more games.

Old
05-21-2004, 06:48 PM
TheGreatOne99

Send a message via AIM to TheGreatOne99 Send a message via Yahoo to TheGreatOne99
I'll give this a shot;
Vanek - Briere - Satan
Hecht - Drury - Grier (Grier and Drury were a force to be wreckoned w/ in the last 12 games or so)
Dumont - Roy - Afinogenov/Kotalik/Pyatt (I think we can assume one of the three will be gone this off season)
Bartovic - Mair - Kotalik/Peters/Grier

Vanek is a longshot, but I guess we will have to wait untill training camp, if he is ready, he will play, look at the players taken ahaed of him or around him. If he is kept up, it will only be worthwhile for his growth as a player to get a lot of playig time.
Pyatt will almost certainly be given a roster spot because of the money that has already been invested in him.
I can't wait to get to see Gaustad play tommorow.

Old
05-21-2004, 07:04 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
McKee's played 180 or more games.
He didn't play 60 games in the previous season. That's sufficient on it's own to exclude a player from a 1-way tender offer and there's no exclusion for games missed due to injury/illness. If you recall the same clause was invoked by the Sabres to tender Rhett Warrener a 2-way contract offer last season and by the Flyers with Lindros in 2000. Both had played in 180+ games the prior 3 seasons.

Old
05-21-2004, 07:09 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Vanek-Briere-Satan - Satan's our best quality player, and is in a contract year. Mark My Words: he will be VERY good. possibly a career year. Vanek deserves a shot at the big time straight away

Hecht-Drury-Grier - one of the best defensive lines we had. Put up good points as well, keep this line together.

Paille-Roy-Pomiville - Good defensivly, fastish, dont know paille's speed, but he could provide a better defense for the line.

Peters-Mair-Gausted - big ****ers.

Boulton. (WAIVER!)
Dumont (Trade for a top 2 D, trade for a better pick, whatever, trade bait)
Afingonev (Trade Bait)
Kotalik (Trade Bait)
Bartovic (send down/Trade, i dont mind)
Pyatt (This kid doesnt deserve another shot. im sorry, his got potential, so's Paille, Vanek, etc, they deserve a shot much, much more)
Connelly (trade/Release/Play game in game out, i dont care)

Old
05-22-2004, 12:06 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
Vanek-Briere-Satan - Satan's our best quality player, and is in a contract year. Mark My Words: he will be VERY good. possibly a career year. Vanek deserves a shot at the big time straight away

Hecht-Drury-Grier - one of the best defensive lines we had. Put up good points as well, keep this line together.

Paille-Roy-Pomiville - Good defensivly, fastish, dont know paille's speed, but he could provide a better defense for the line.

Peters-Mair-Gausted - big ****ers.
4 rookies in the starting lineup?? Whoa. But I do like that Hecht/Drury/Grier line. Could be very effective.

Old
05-22-2004, 08:53 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed
He didn't play 60 games in the previous season. That's sufficient on it's own to exclude a player from a 1-way tender offer and there's no exclusion for games missed due to injury/illness. If you recall the same clause was invoked by the Sabres to tender Rhett Warrener a 2-way contract offer last season and by the Flyers with Lindros in 2000. Both had played in 180+ games the prior 3 seasons.
Yes, apparently I can't read. The "and" instead of "or" makes it pretty clear.

Old
05-22-2004, 09:00 AM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

hecht-briere-satan
dumont-drury-grier
bartovic/kotalik-roy-afinogenov
pyatt-mair-peters

i'm not penciling any rookies in until i see them play
dumont is a natural LW so i don't think he'll have a problem moving back there
satan had his best stretches when playing with hecht

Old
05-22-2004, 09:20 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

It is useless to consider lines in the NHL today. If we have a depth chart, it looks like this (primary position listed, Dumont can play LW, Zhitnik can play RD, etc):

LW C RW
Hecht Briere Satan
Kotalik Drury Dumont
Pyatt Roy Afinogenov
Bartovic Mair Grier
Vanek Connolly Pominville
Peters Taylor Milley
Boulton Gaustad
Botterill

LD RD
Zhitnik Jillson
Kalinin Patrick
McKee Brown
Tallinder Fitzpatrick
Campbell
Janik

G
Biron
Noronen
Miller

We have strengths at RW, LD and G. We are weak at LW, but have Vanek and Pyatt who can still develop. We are weak at RD, but Zhitnik can play the right side (but not as good as LD).

Old
05-22-2004, 10:41 AM
SabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
4 rookies in the starting lineup?? Whoa. But I do like that Hecht/Drury/Grier line. Could be very effective.
Ye, im big on rookies, Especially ones with the offensive potential as vanek, the 2 way potential as Paille, Pomiville deserves a chance. Gausted is up to fill in 4th line spot.

is Roy still officially a rookie? if so iv managed to compose a line with about 50 games of NHL experience LOL.

Old
05-22-2004, 10:45 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
Ye, im big on rookies, Especially ones with the offensive potential as vanek, the 2 way potential as Paille, Pomiville deserves a chance. Gausted is up to fill in 4th line spot.

is Roy still officially a rookie? if so iv managed to compose a line with about 50 games of NHL experience LOL.
4 rookies dont play on a playoff team. imo

Old
05-22-2004, 11:05 AM
SabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
4 rookies dont play on a playoff team. imo
Avalanche. they started with 4 rookies on their team. But Vanek and paille are top notch prospects, not 6th round risks. Pomivlle has had an amazing season, and Gausted has size, tho he could be replaced byu the signging of an 'energy player'.

like Begin

Old
05-22-2004, 02:50 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

I expect the Sabres to try to address their lack of size up the middle. Derek Roy's been tearing it up at LW in the AHL playoffs with the Sabres brass looking on. Although Drury and Briere can also play wing, the less established Roy would seem the logical candidate to make the switch. Whether it's successful depends on whether Mair or Gaustad can step up, or if they acquire a center with good size. It gets further complicated if Connolly is in the mix, but I really don't expect Roy to be lining up at center on opening night.

Old
05-22-2004, 03:30 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Satan-Briere-Drury
Hecht-Roy-Dumont
Grier-Mair-Afinogenov
Pyatt-Kotalik-Peters

Kalinin-Zhitnik
Jillson-Tallinder
McKee-Brown
Fitzpatrick

Biron
Miller

Connolly-Not qualified
Noronen-Low 1st rounder
Boulton-AHL

(Vanek and Paille will be in Rochester.Pominville and Bartovic stay in Rochester)

Old
05-22-2004, 04:33 PM
N.Y. Orangeman

I'm going to go against the trend and say Connolly will be back in the lineup when the season begins. Furthermore, by the end of the year, he'll be back on track and finish the season with 50 pts on a line with Afinogenov. Just a hunch, but I think he has too much talent and will finally mature into a consistent threat 2/3 into the season.

Closed Thread