HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2005 Line Projections

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Kruschiki

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed

I'd also expect the Sabres to make liberal use of the provision in the CBA that permits qualifying offers to be 2-way contracts for players that didn't appear in 60 games last season. I think Connolly and Campbell are sure bets to get 2-way offers and we might even see it happen to McKee.
http://letsgopens.com/nhl_cba.php?id=10
I wouldn't mess with McKee. I remember Boston did that to McClaren and it P1ssed him off so much that he demanded a trade.

Old
05-22-2004, 06:59 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
I expect the Sabres to try to address their lack of size up the middle. Derek Roy's been tearing it up at LW in the AHL playoffs with the Sabres brass looking on. Although Drury and Briere can also play wing, the less established Roy would seem the logical candidate to make the switch. Whether it's successful depends on whether Mair or Gaustad can step up, or if they acquire a center with good size. It gets further complicated if Connolly is in the mix, but I really don't expect Roy to be lining up at center on opening night.
iv said that before and got shot down in flames.

But i agree.

Vanek-Briere-Satan
Hecht-Drury-Grier
Roy-Gausted-Pomiville
Peters-Mair-Pyatt

Revised Version. Paille can make sure his ready in rochester, Vanek can be sent down if need be. Pyatt should be on the 4th line till he shows some improvment, hard to do, but he'll have to try hard.

im probably forgetting someone.

Old
05-22-2004, 08:18 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y. Orangeman
I'm going to go against the trend and say Connolly will be back in the lineup when the season begins. Furthermore, by the end of the year, he'll be back on track and finish the season with 50 pts on a line with Afinogenov. Just a hunch, but I think he has too much talent and will finally mature into a consistent threat 2/3 into the season.
Totally agree.

Old
05-22-2004, 09:47 PM
SabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y. Orangeman
I'm going to go against the trend and say Connolly will be back in the lineup when the season begins. Furthermore, by the end of the year, he'll be back on track and finish the season with 50 pts on a line with Afinogenov. Just a hunch, but I think he has too much talent and will finally mature into a consistent threat 2/3 into the season.
i SOOOOOOO hope your right,.

Old
05-23-2004, 12:50 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresRule
iv said that before and got shot down in flames.

But i agree.

Vanek-Briere-Satan
Hecht-Drury-Grier
Roy-Gausted-Pomiville
Peters-Mair-Pyatt

Revised Version. Paille can make sure his ready in rochester, Vanek can be sent down if need be. Pyatt should be on the 4th line till he shows some improvment, hard to do, but he'll have to try hard.

im probably forgetting someone.
There's a difference between speculating whether a player will be able to elevate his game and assuming he will. You're assuming that Gaustad will by penciling him as your 3rd line center. He'll be given that chance (as will Mair) but I regard Guastad as a longshot to make the Sabres this season. Most likely the Sabres will have to look outside the organization.

Don't rule out Daniel Paille as the Sabres #3 center. If he impresses in camp, they'll try to find a spot for him. Paille isn't strictly a LW. He's played quite a bit of center in juniors and he's the kind of kid that'll jump at any opportunity to make the team.

Old
05-23-2004, 01:06 PM
Takeo

Hecht-Briere-Satan
Vanek-Drury-Dumont
Pyatt-Roy-Afinogenov
Grier-Gaustad-Mair
Peters

Old
05-23-2004, 03:12 PM
SabresRule

Quote:
There's a difference between speculating whether a player will be able to elevate his game and assuming he will. You're assuming that Gaustad will by penciling him as your 3rd line center. He'll be given that chance (as will Mair) but I regard Guastad as a longshot to make the Sabres this season. Most likely the Sabres will have to look outside the organization.

Don't rule out Daniel Paille as the Sabres #3 center. If he impresses in camp, they'll try to find a spot for him. Paille isn't strictly a LW. He's played quite a bit of center in juniors and he's the kind of kid that'll jump at any opportunity to make the team.
im saying try it for a few games, not necasserily all season.

Old
05-24-2004, 01:36 PM
Riggins

Is Pyatt really that worthless? Do you guys have any hope for him becoming a legitimate power forward? Or is power forward not his game at all?

Old
05-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik20
Is Pyatt really that worthless? Do you guys have any hope for him becoming a legitimate power forward? Or is power forward not his game at all?
Think LeClair without the highpowered shot if you are thinking of "power forward". He's a large player, but there is no natural mean to his game.

Old
05-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Think LeClair without the highpowered shot if you are thinking of "power forward". He's a large player, but there is no natural mean to his game.
Though he's pretty good at "simulated" mean.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
Though he's pretty good at "simulated" mean.
When he's aware of it, yeah, he can bring that combo of size and speed and create violent puck seperations. Perhaps with maturity it will continue to come forth on more frequent occassions.

That and with someone other than Boulton doing the policing.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:18 PM
SabresRule

Quote:
his an utter bust. he'll turn into nothing.

ask me that in November, i'd say his in for a breakout season. but he went scorless in 3/4 of a season. that's ****ing PATHETIC.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Hecht-Briere-Satan
Vanek-Drury-Dumont
Pyatt-Roy-Afinogenov
Grier-Gaustad-Mair
Peters
I like these, but my only question mark is Grier getting 4th line ice time for the size of his contract. I'd have to assume Dumont traded to move Grier into that spot, if that was the scenario. Otherwise, those look exactly how I envision Buffalo's lines to be next year.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Digable5

Here's my best attempt:

Dumont-Briere-Satan:

Dumont and Satan have had some good chemistry in the past and Briere seems to be able to play well with any combination. Satan is a possibility to be traded and would be even more likely moved if Vanek makes the jump from College, but I don't see that happening right away.

Hecht-Drury-Grier:

They are all good two way players that can go against the opponents top line and shut them down. And, since a lot of team's top lines have defensive issues, they are talented enough offensively to take advantage of that.

Roy-Connolly-Afinogenov:

I think Afinogenov could be a candidate for top line duties if Satan is moved, but an even more talented version of the "kid" line will be fantastic. I'm along with the few that still sees the potential in Connolly. His passion for the game will be renewed after the injury, as was Afinogenov's, and by the end of the year, playing with young, fast guys like himself, will totally rejuvinate his career.

Pyatt-Mair-Bartovic/Peters:

I know that Pyatt was not brought in to be a 4th line player, but I think it would help his development as a power forward to play with intense guys like Mair and Bartovic and even Peters can show him how to be "tough".

Kotalik-is either trade bait or insurance of case of injury. I like Ales, but there isn't anything that he can bring to the team that we can't get somewhere else. He has the best shot on the team, but without someone to really set him up its almost worthless. And people get on Pyatt for not being more physical, but Kotalik is a big guy too and never seems to fight for the puck. I think Pyatt did more aggressive work on the boards at the end of this season than Kotalik has done in his career.

Boulton- should be taken to scrap heap and sold for parts.

Paille-I've said before that I think he is the Sabres best prospect, but even if he dominates in training camp, he'll see action with the Amerks before getting the call up for good. As Roy did last year.

Vanek-I'm hoping he turns into what we've all dreamed about, and could certainly earn a spot on this roster with a mind blowing camp, but I think if Satan is here next year, Vanek will be tested in the AHL first. If we trade Satan, he may be pushed to fill the sniper role left by Miroslav

Pominville-hasn't turned any heads from what hear. He has done well in Rochester, but success here does not always spell success with the big boys. The team must of seen something in his game right now to not even bring him up in spot duty over the last year. I think it will take a lot to see him get regular time next season.

Gaustad-Another guy I can't wait to see in a Sabres uniform, but it seems to be a different story for the organization. They have no reason to bring him up right now and I don't expect to see him wearing the red and black next season.

***If trades(or injuries) free up spaces on the opening day roster I think Paille and/or Vanel would be next in line over Pominville

Defense is pretty much the same on everybody's posts. Unless a trade brings in another solid Dman or Zhitnik doesn't resign or both, it should look like this.

Zhitnik/Kalinin
Tallinder/Jillson
McKee/Brown

Patrick Fitzpatrick Janik

I know Campbell is still in the mix, but I'd like to see him go for the best offer.

Goalies isn't a controversy I want to revisit, so I'm only going to say one should be moved with extra assets to improve the defense or improve our draft (whether it be an upgrade or extra pick(s)). Just get the best offer for one of them and move on.

Old
05-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Takeo

Quote:

ask me that in November, i'd say his in for a breakout season. but he went scorless in 3/4 of a season. that's ****ing PATHETIC.
Are you condemning him based on 3/4 of a season??

Old
05-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
Here's my best attempt:

Dumont-Briere-Satan:

Dumont and Satan have had some good chemistry in the past and Briere seems to be able to play well with any combination. Satan is a possibility to be traded and would be even more likely moved if Vanek makes the jump from College, but I don't see that happening right away..
....if Satan stays

Quote:
Hecht-Drury-Grier:

They are all good two way players that can go against the opponents top line and shut them down. And, since a lot of team's top lines have defensive issues, they are talented enough offensively to take advantage of that...
i love this line...i love Drury and Grier together. and i love Hecht with anybody. a top notch checking line like that can score...

Quote:
And people get on Pyatt for not being more physical, but Kotalik is a big guy too and never seems to fight for the puck. I think Pyatt did more aggressive work on the boards at the end of this season than Kotalik has done in his career.
im glad someone else noticed

great post

Old
05-24-2004, 04:15 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
I'm guessing your real name isn't Bob Boughner or Zdeno Chara.

Old
05-24-2004, 04:27 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:

You change your mind on prospects every five minutes, and you expect too much too soon from them.

You were writing off Miller in the first series of the AHL playoffs. You changed your mind on that since.

You have Vanek as your top LW and Gaustad and Pominville as 3rd line wingers. It is ridiculous to have such high expectations so soon, especially with Gaustad, whose point production is 60% of what it was two years ago.

Pyatt was very effective in stretches last year. He was effective as a scorer early in the year. He got more physical as the year went on. And he's still 22 and has gone thru most of his growing pains.

Old
05-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Riggins

So are you ready to trade off Pyatt?

What would it take from Montreal?

Old
05-24-2004, 05:20 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
I'm not down on Pyatt at all. He won't be the next Bertuzzi, but I think he'll end up being a very good 2-way player that can be used in all situations. I see him developing into a guy that'll chip in 15-25 goals/yr and will be used as a defensive stopper against all those high scoring right wing's in the league.

Old
05-24-2004, 06:18 PM
SabresRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
You change your mind on prospects every five minutes, and you expect too much too soon from them.

You were writing off Miller in the first series of the AHL playoffs. You changed your mind on that since.

You have Vanek as your top LW and Gaustad and Pominville as 3rd line wingers. It is ridiculous to have such high expectations so soon, especially with Gaustad, whose point production is 60% of what it was two years ago.

Pyatt was very effective in stretches last year. He was effective as a scorer early in the year. He got more physical as the year went on. And he's still 22 and has gone thru most of his growing pains.
well im saying the lines were worth a shot at some point in the year. iv always hated pyatt, since about september.

Old
05-24-2004, 09:57 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
I'm guessing your real name isn't Bob Boughner or Zdeno Chara.
Nor is it Jason Weimer.

When he works at being active, he's a far better player. But it's not a matter of him being naturally mean. He knows, has publically stated, what he needs to work on and if he continues to do so, he'll grow in both his physical game and on the scoresheet.

Old
05-24-2004, 11:04 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

Quote:
Nor is it Jason Weimer.

When he works at being active, he's a far better player. But it's not a matter of him being naturally mean. He knows, has publically stated, what he needs to work on and if he continues to do so, he'll grow in both his physical game and on the scoresheet.
His attitude is very much like Kalinin's and I'm sure glad the Sabres didn't give up on him too soon.

Old
05-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Takeo

Quote:
iv always hated pyatt, since about september.
An oxymoron, no?

Old
05-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
His attitude is very much like Kalinin's and I'm sure glad the Sabres didn't give up on him too soon.
Yep. Size, skating, growing strength and an ability to play defense all in a 22 year old. When he figures out and really gets how much bigger he is than other people, it should be fun to watch.

Closed Thread