HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2005 Line Projections

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2004, 09:46 AM
Digable5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame
....if Satan stays
Exactly. And I think a lot more of what we do in the offseason hinders on what we do with him, rather than what happens in front of the net. I think if he goes, Vanek is much more likely to be offered a contract and/or Paille or Pominville are given more of a chance at the big club with an outstanding training camp. It also would make it easier to sign Zhitnik and/or a free agent. Unless Zhitnik feels that with Satan gone we can't compete and therefore no longer wants to be a Sabre. It also could make it easier for the Sabres to keep Biron if he so happens to be their choice.

Quote:
i love this line...i love Drury and Grier together. and i love Hecht with anybody. a top notch checking line like that can score...
So do I. But more importantly, so does Drury and Grier. The only thing I would change would be Hecht to the top line if an opening comes about and then I'd like to see Pyatt with these two. Because Drury asked for Grier and because, well, they play well together, I don't think they will be pulled apart anytime soon. If Pyatt continues to play physical like he did at the end of last year, he could learn a lot from these two. Grier especially, could show him how to play as a power forward and contribute offensively. And there wouldn't be much of a defensive drop off from Hecht to Pyatt.

Quote:
im glad someone else noticed

great post
Between his style of play and Ruff's comments about Kotalik's injury, I think we won't be quickly trying to open a spot for Kotalik next season. I feel like he could have some trade value and we should try to get the best deal possible for him. It may be to get a pick or to improve a pick, but either way there's no room at the Buffalo Forward Inn. I wouldn't even be to disgusted if he excels somewhere else, because I like Ales, like I said before, and wish him success, but I don't feel it will be with a team like ours. HE needs to be in the "West Coast Offense" of the NHL. He needs to be able to set up at the circles and fire shots all day long. If a more wide open team with a great playmaker wants him, it would be a match made in heaven. Even better if they offer us something decent in return.

Old
05-25-2004, 10:51 AM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
An oxymoron, no?
Good observation. that's incredably embarrasing.

1 tip: proof read people. see how stupid you can look. :lol

Old
05-25-2004, 11:03 AM
Takeo

Can anyone peg who's most effective at LW out of Satan, Dumont, Afinogenov, and Grier? I, personally, wouldn't mind seeing Grier paired with Mair on the fourth line, but I don't think that's in the cards.

Old
05-25-2004, 12:53 PM
SabresRule

Send a message via MSN to SabresRule
Quote:
Can anyone peg who's most effective at LW out of Satan, Dumont, Afinogenov, and Grier? I, personally, wouldn't mind seeing Grier paired with Mair on the fourth line, but I don't think that's in the cards.
Grier's a 2nd/3rd line 20Goal scoring PKer. 4th liner?! EH?!

Old
05-25-2004, 03:10 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zednik20
So are you ready to trade off Pyatt?

What would it take from Montreal?
Komisarek.

Old
05-25-2004, 03:12 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Yep. Size, skating, growing strength and an ability to play defense all in a 22 year old. When he figures out and really gets how much bigger he is than other people, it should be fun to watch.
Absolutely.

Old
05-25-2004, 03:13 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Komisarek.
I love it, LALA. Straight and to the point. Screw 'em.

Although, given our depth, I might settle for Hainsey.

Old
05-25-2004, 03:51 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Komisarek.
As much as I love Pyatt and would not want to send him to a division rival, I think Komisarek would do it. It allows us to improve our defense, while staying big and young, which we would lose by dealing Pyatt. We are a relatively small team as a whole and losing Pyatt for a smaller player would be tough to swallow. It takes from our strength (forwards) and adds to our weakness (defensemen).

Old
05-25-2004, 08:40 PM
N.Y. Orangeman
Coyotes Fan

vCash: 50
Since I don't feel like predicting the MegaMillions tonight, I'll take my stab at what I see the lineups being on 1/1/05:

Hecht-Briere-Dumont
I see Hecht putting it all together for any entire year, but should by all rights be on the second line.. IMO, the Sabres may again be looking for a #1 C by mid-December.

Vanek-Drury-Afinogenov
A hunch, but I see Drury pulling these guys up by their respective bootstraps. Connolly moves to the wing for a bit.

Pyatt-Roy-Grier
Pyatt will struggle early, butl emerge in the last 1/4 of the season and will be a top-6 player in 2005-06.

Bartovic-Gaustad-Mair
If you can guess the 1st line, let alone the 4th, you are a better man than I.

D Pairings
Kalinin-Zhitnik
If Z resigns and these guys are together, this could be one of the better pairings the Sabres ever had.

McKee-Jillson
I think Jillson pairing with either McKee or Z for a prolonged stretch will do wonders for his confidence a decision making.

Tallinder-Brown
odd couple

Patrick

Minors
Pominville (he needs one more year), Vanek (needs about 40 games in Rochester), Paille (he needs a year, despite the outcries for help on a grind line), Fitzpatrick, Janik

Trade Bait
Satan, Kotalik, Campbell, Fitzpatrick, etc.

Waiver
Boulton

Last edited by N.Y. Orangeman: 05-25-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old
05-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
So do I. But more importantly, so does Drury and Grier. The only thing I would change would be Hecht to the top line if an opening comes about and then I'd like to see Pyatt with these two. Because Drury asked for Grier and because, well, they play well together, I don't think they will be pulled apart anytime soon. If Pyatt continues to play physical like he did at the end of last year, he could learn a lot from these two. Grier especially, could show him how to play as a power forward and contribute offensively. And there wouldn't be much of a defensive drop off from Hecht to Pyatt.
thats pretty muchy what i said in my line projection post on the first page.

Old
05-26-2004, 03:58 PM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
I love it, LALA. Straight and to the point. Screw 'em.

Although, given our depth, I might settle for Hainsey.
I wouldn't. It seems prospects go thru a life cycle. Komisarek was once regarded as the second coming. He didn't look that great with Montreal this year. I recall his charitable game against the Isles. His attempt to decapitate Briere set up a goal by Dumont against us. He struggled at times during the playoffs. I doubt he is as highly regarded as he was 5 months ago.

We've already seen the same thing with Pyatt. I haven't given up on Pyatt, but we have excess forwards and a short on D, specifically large RD.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Takeo

Connolly qualified = bump

Drury-Briere-Satan
Hecht-Connolly-Dumont
Pyatt-Roy-Afinogenov
Peters-Mair-Grier

But then you still got Kotalik!

Old
06-30-2004, 02:33 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Connolly qualified = bump

Drury-Briere-Satan
Hecht-Connolly-Dumont
Pyatt-Roy-Afinogenov
Peters-Mair-Grier

But then you still got Kotalik!

I don't think we'll see Connolly put on the 2nd line just yet. I just spent the last 20 minutes or so saying how great a move qualifying Connolly was on another thread, but I'm not interested in rushing him into 16-17 minutes of ice time a game yet. I'd like to see, unless other moves are made, the top two lines stay the same.

Dumont-Briere-Satan
Hecht-Drury-Grier

Those two lines put players of similar game together. Everyone on the DBS line is mainly offensive with decent speed (not elite) and some defensive responsibility. Everyone on the HDG line are two-way forwards that can work together to shutdown the opponents top line but still have enough skill to put the puck in the net. They all have great character, determination and ability.

The third and fourth lines can be somewhat interchanged depending on the opponent and who is healthy at the moment.

Roy-Connolly-Afinogenov
Pyatt-Mair-Bartovic/Peters

If Connolly is healthy enough to take regular shifts, I would love to see him on the new "kids" line or maybe even better the "RCA line". All of the RCA line has speed. Roy did a great job with Maxim last year and I think Roy and Maxim could light a fire under Connolly. I think their youth and speed will work well together. Its not your prototypical Third line but HDG can play the more physical parts that a team's third line usually would. Plus you could always use Bartovic or Pyatt on the line to add a little more toughness. Pyatt should do better than be on the fourth line, but untill he develops a little further, I think it would benefit him in the physical play department to play more with Mair. And I think Peters energy could rub off on Taylor and make him more involved in the action. Bartovic could be substituted in to replace Peters against less aggressive teams. Especially if its a night when Brown is playing.

Until we know if Vanek is going to be signed or Paille or Pominville or Gaustad are going to make the team out of camp, this would be my preference for starting the season. An injury or two are bound to happen and that could open the door to any number of Rochester Americans to prove they can stick at the NHL level.

Kotalik can either be the extra forward we carry or be traded for the best offer. I felt he should be the last man out in this situation. Boulton can be given away or in return for a bag of pucks if such a transaction would be necessary. Anything to get rid of him. McMorrow could always be called up in an emergency.

Here's my defense:

Kalinin-Zhitnik
Jillson-Tallinder
Brown-McKee

If Zhitnik isn't back and Patrick doesn't retire or a move bringing in a top 4 defenseman doesn't occur, I think Patrick would be paired with Kalinin as he was at the end of the season and Janik and Fitzpatrick will fill in for injured players and the occassional scheduled start to keep James well rested and to give Janik a chance to prove himself in the NHL.

It seems like "status-quo" like some people think, but I think a full season with Grier, Jillson, and Brown as well as a healthy Hecht, Connolly, and McKee will make this team look a whole lot different.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:43 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
Well without Zhitnik our defense is decimated...unless we get someone else (no chance in hell)

Old
06-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Well without Zhitnik our defense is decimated...unless we get someone else (no chance in hell)
Most likely, but the defense we had at the end of the season without him, was much better than the defense we had at the begining of the season with him. Not that it had anything to do with Z directly, but I'm much more confident with our defense now, even if he signs somewhere else, then I was before the trading deadline last season.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:56 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
I don't think we'll see Connolly put on the 2nd line just yet. I just spent the last 20 minutes or so saying how great a move qualifying Connolly was on another thread, but I'm not interested in rushing him into 16-17 minutes of ice time a game yet. I'd like to see, unless other moves are made, the top two lines stay the same.
My intention was to place Connolly in the best position to succeed.

Old
06-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Digable5

Quote:
My intention was to place Connolly in the best position to succeed.
Understood. I just took it another way. I would love to see him do well enough to get to that 2nd line spot ASAP but I'm thinking small steps first. I would love to see him lined up with Roy and Afinogenov, but he'd probably put up better numbers with Hecht and Dumont. Or even Hecht and Satan and put Drury-Briere-Grier/Dumont together. Hecht can make pretty much anybody better.

Old
06-30-2004, 06:46 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
As DB48 stated above we don't have a solid D.

New Lines:

Hecht-Drury-Grier
Briere-Connolly-Afinogenov
Pyatt-Roy-Satan
Peters-Mair-Dumont

Patrick-Kalinin
Mckee-Brown
Tallinder-Jillson

Scratches:
Kotalik
Bartovic
Fitzpatrick
Gaustad

Gone:

Boulton
Campbell

If we acquire a top 4 LD to pair w/ Kalinin, I say this is a playoff team......

Old
07-05-2004, 01:00 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
I wouldn't. It seems prospects go thru a life cycle. Komisarek was once regarded as the second coming. He didn't look that great with Montreal this year. I recall his charitable game against the Isles. His attempt to decapitate Briere set up a goal by Dumont against us. He struggled at times during the playoffs. I doubt he is as highly regarded as he was 5 months ago.

We've already seen the same thing with Pyatt. I haven't given up on Pyatt, but we have excess forwards and a short on D, specifically large RD.
Funniest thing i've read today. Komisarek would be more valuable to the Sabres that Pyatt will ever be. He didnt struggle during the playoffs and in fact he was a force, jus ask Thornton. He litterally chased Quintal out of MTL. Made mistakes but he's only 22 and its awfully young for a D-men. Watch him in the next year and tll m that you dont want him.

Old
07-05-2004, 02:00 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
Funniest thing i've read today. Komisarek would be more valuable to the Sabres that Pyatt will ever be. He didnt struggle during the playoffs and in fact he was a force, jus ask Thornton. He litterally chased Quintal out of MTL. Made mistakes but he's only 22 and its awfully young for a D-men. Watch him in the next year and tll m that you dont want him.
I personally would trade Pyatt for Komisarek in an instant, but I think his stock kind of dropped and isn't regarded in the same breath as guys like Phaneuf and Pitkanen anymore, but more along with guys like Woywitka and Colaiacovo. Kind of like what happened to Ryan Miller over the past year/year and a half. I remember there were talks two years ago about trading the #3 pick straight up for Miller, and while he's still regarded as a top flight prospect, I think his stock fell a decent amount, though he's still probably the 3rd best goaltender prospect (behind Fleury and Lehtonen).

Old
07-05-2004, 03:06 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Hecht-Briere-Dumont

It's shown to work, so keep it.

Kotalik-Drury-Satan

Bartovic-Roy-Afinogenov

Peters-Mair-Grier

Too many forwards.....goodbye to Pyatt, Connolly, Boulton.

Zhitnik-Kalinin
McKee-Jillson
Tallinder-Brown

Fitzpatrick

Biron
Miller

Old
07-05-2004, 06:09 PM
TVanek26*

No way will Grier be paid 1.6 million to play on the 4th line.

Old
07-05-2004, 08:21 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Grier won't leapfrog any of the 3 RW ahead of him cause of his stone hands.

Grier isn't a top 2 line winger.....no matter how good of friends he is with Drury.

Guess we'll have to move somebody (RW) or move Grier.

Old
07-05-2004, 10:41 PM
TVanek26*

I'll be shocked if Kotalik or Affy aren't dealt by the waiverdraft.

Old
07-05-2004, 10:51 PM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

Hecht Drury Grier
Dumont Brier Satan
Afinogenov Roy Bartovic
Peters Mair Taylor

Possibles for 3rd or 4th line positions- Connolly, Gaustad, Vanek

Connolly wont start the season with the club since he still has to serve his suspension and the best bet for him would be to send him to rochester to get condition him to the level of hockey required. So either way I highly doubt he will be with the club the first month or two. Gaustads size is nice but he would really have to earn a spot, and Vanek, well we need to sign him and see what he offers in training camp and pre season.

Closed Thread