HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Redden to be waived at end of camp

Old
07-06-2010, 01:05 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
Redden's not getting bought out

if im wrong, pull this thread up and i'll gladly delete my account and never post here again
Plus uno.

Just send him to the AHL. Its the only alternative that makes sense.

Redden is payed to perform. Maybe not at a 6m pace; he was never worth that. But we signed a 35-40 pts player -- no doubt. People in Ottawa said that he had declined when he scored something like 38 pts.

Now he scored what, 13 pts? Thats like signing a 75 pts forward and getting 25 pts. We think Drury is bad, he at least scores like 66-75% of the amount of pts he scored for Buffalo. Redden scored 33%.

He just have not performed. And you don't owe one bit to a player who doesn't perform. Nobody would keep around a player who drops 75% in terms of production.

And if Redden don't want to finnish his career in the AHL, its all up to him. Its his decision. If he don't show we will break his contract and he will be a UFA in whats supposed to be his prime. He have already made LeBron James money in NY. Lebron will get what, 20m? Redden have made 16m the last two years in NY.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Redden's not getting bought out

if im wrong, pull this thread up and i'll gladly delete my account and never post here again
Hahahahaha. That's a little extreme, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
agreed, i just dont see it happening...having that much money on the cap till 2018...eff that.
Why?

Again, if they're willing to bury him and simply eliminate him from the cap for 4 years, great. Completely agreed, no question, absolutely this is the best choice.

But what if they're NOT willing to bury him there for FOUR years? What if they'd like to save the $7.7MM and to spread the payments over 8 years? Wouldn't it be a LOT better to have him on the cap for:

2010-2011: $1.9
2011-2012: $1.9
2012-2013: $3.4 (Drury, Rozsie, Avery are all off the books at this point)
2013-2014: $3.4
2014-2015: $1.9 (no one on the roster is currently under contract for this year or beyond)
2015-2016: $1.9
2016-2017: $1.9
2017-2018: $1.9

than

2010-2011: $6.5
2011-2012: $6.5
2012-2013: $6.5
2013-2014: $6.5

?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
That buyout does look fairly attractive compared to actually having to watch him play here for 4 more years.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:17 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

The real culprit (besides Sather) is Zdeno Chara. From 2001-2006, Redden has ridden on his coat tails. If you look at all of Redden's seasons outside of those years, he was just a decent serviceable d-man. With Chara, he appeared near elite. I wonder if it's a coincidence Canada failed to medal the year he played I wish we signed Chara back when he was a UFA. That extra $1M would have been worth it to have Chara over Redden and maybe it would have kept us from signing both Gomez and Drury (too retrospectively optimistic?). I have no clue how Sather can go out and say "I won't overpay UFAs, Chara's contract is insane," have Drury score an GWOTG on us, flip a switch and give out not one but TWO similarly insane contracts. For 2nd line players. Chara is at least a legit #1 d-man. And also the biggest mofo in the league with one of the biggest cannons ever.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:17 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
That buyout does look fairly attractive compared to actually having to watch him play here for 4 more years.
Personally, I think watching him play in Hartford for 4 years looks even better.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:18 PM
mullichicken25

see how much you like that idea during the 2017-18 season when you can't carry a 7th dman because of cap space eaten up by a player whose been off the roster for almost 7 years

buying him out would be nothing short of lunacy....more so than signing him in the first place

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:30 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
see how much you like that idea during the 2017-18 season when you can't carry a 7th dman because of cap space eaten up by a player whose been off the roster for almost 7 years

buying him out would be nothing short of lunacy....more so than signing him in the first place
Again, that would be only $1.9MM off the cap. Which is NOW almost $60MM - at that point I think even a conservative guess would have it at $70-80MM. You wouldn't pay that price to save $4.6MM this year and next and $3.0MM in the two years subsequent? Especially since all the ****** contracts currently on the team will be long gone by then (pending of course whatever other crime Slats commits between now and then)?

You think that $1.9MM in dead space will be more constraining than the $6.5MM albatross he's going to potentially hang around our necks for the next four years? Hell, Drury's contract contains double that amount in dead space right now!

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:30 PM
kennglin13

Redden has made enough money to last his lifetime already, he must know how much everybody in NY hates him. You would almost think he'd want to get out of this city.

He got mad when he was scratched during the season... send him to Hartford, let him breach his contract and that would be that.

I wonder what Messier's opinion is on all this

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:38 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennglin13 View Post
Redden has made enough money to last his lifetime already, he must know how much everybody in NY hates him. You would almost think he'd want to get out of this city.

He got mad when he was scratched during the season... send him to Hartford, let him breach his contract and that would be that.

I wonder what Messier's opinion is on all this
Redden is used to playing where he's not wanting. Ott wanted to ship him off for months but he refused to waive his NTC. Why you'd want to stay on a team where they clearly don't want you is beyond me.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:46 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
Personally, I think watching him play in Hartford for 4 years looks even better.
Problem is, you can't rid yourself of the summer cap hit if you just keep demoting him.

I don't see the point in buying him today, unless it's actually a linch-pin of a Kovalchuk offer. Beyond that, you can just demote him in October, then buy him out NEXT summer if you've got a high dollar player targeted and face only a 6 year penalty.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:51 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Again, that would be only $1.9MM off the cap. Which is NOW almost $60MM - at that point I think even a conservative guess would have it at $70-80MM. You wouldn't pay that price to save $4.6MM this year and next and $3.0MM in the two years subsequent? Especially since all the ****** contracts currently on the team will be long gone by then (pending of course whatever other crime Slats commits between now and then)?

You think that $1.9MM in dead space will be more constraining than the $6.5MM albatross he's going to potentially hang around our necks for the next four years? Hell, Drury's contract contains double that amount in dead space right now!
say what you want, but having a cap hit of about 2mil a year for 7 years after the player is off the team is beyond stupid

way beyond stupid

if hes not in hartford this year, and has another seaosn like last year, i have full confidence that he'll be in hartford for the remainder of his contract

worse case senerio is that he plays better than last year, too good to be sent down, and we overpay him by about 2mil for 3 or 4 years

id much rather overpay an NHL player by about 2-3mil for 4 years, than piss away 2mill to dead cap space until 2018

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Buyout is the worst possible scenario with Redden.... Dead cap space for almost a decade. Hell no.

You play Redden until one of our prospects prove they can replace him. That could take another year though. As much as we collectively despise him, he's not terrible defensively. And other than Kovalchuk, there's not much out there available now where we would need that extra cap space.

Play him another season, hopefully less, assuming McD or Valentenko can slide into our line-up at Wade's expense.

Next season, I think teams around the league might take a flyer on him @3 years, for half his salary. (Re-entry ala Avery)

As much as we all want to see Wade sent to Hartford for the next 4 years, I don't think we'll see it, unless his defensive game rivals Gilroy's this upcoming season.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:30 PM
NYRCC

wade has got to go.

having wade on this team is going to start to stunt the youngsters' growth. we need roster spots open for these guys. he has to be sent to hartford.

mcd is ready.
valentenko might be.
potter?
sauer?

i'm just hoping one of these guys plays wade out of a job at camp.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:52 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRCC View Post
wade has got to go.

having wade on this team is going to start to stunt the youngsters' growth. we need roster spots open for these guys. he has to be sent to hartford.

mcd is ready.
valentenko might be.
potter?
sauer?

i'm just hoping one of these guys plays wade out of a job at camp.
Potter wasn't resigned and won't be back with the Rangers.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 05:52 PM
NYRCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post

missed that one. thanks for the catch.

NYRCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 06:54 PM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

I like the idea of buying him out NEXT offseason. It creates cap when we could use it, and it keeps 2 years off the buyout. Having those cap hit numbers after that, and with the rising cap, we should be fine having that 3.4 million on the books for those 2 seasons, especially after drury, rosi, and avery are gone. That's about 15 million off, with only adding 3.4 to it. Well worth it at that point IMO.

mrjimmyg89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Why buyout? Just force Dolan to eat the cap hit and Redden to play in the AHL... If we wait until next off-season it's only 3 years that he'll have to play in the AHL or retire...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 07-06-2010 at 07:59 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:47 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I don't believe he has signed anywhere yet. He wants a one way contract. Good luck Corey.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
id rather have the buyout. at least by that time the rangers can have enough cap space for a traffic cone to do the same thing as Redden did.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Problem is, you can't rid yourself of the summer cap hit if you just keep demoting him.

I don't see the point in buying him today, unless it's actually a linch-pin of a Kovalchuk offer. Beyond that, you can just demote him in October, then buy him out NEXT summer if you've got a high dollar player targeted and face only a 6 year penalty.
I don't think they buy him out next summer either--the CBA expires in 2 seasons and it doesn't make sense to risk having a cap hit lasting 5 years under a new system (that will probably be even more restrictive if the owners of the smaller market teams get their way).

Sather is stuck with his purchase any way you look at it. The only way out is to hope Redden plays so poorly during training camp that the only move that makes sense is to send him to Hartford. More likely, he'll come in and give a "great" proformance, making it that much harder for Sather to admit the mistake and move on.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 09:11 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I never though Redden rode on Chara's coatails in Ottawa. They hardly ever played together. Redden's partners were usually Rachunek and DeVries. And he played awfully well until his last year and a half.

Sather gambled that Redden's bad run at the end in Ottawa was a byproduct of his mother's battle with cancer and ultimate death and protracted contract issues. He thought he would bounce back. At the time so did I. I wrote on the day he signed his contract it was too much money and too long a term but I was wrong. It was a flat out bad signing. Sather gambled and lost.

So now, what do we do? Well if Sather was going to exile him to the minors, I thought he would have signed another NHL defenseman of note with the money he would be saving. All of the good ones are off the shelf now. If indeed Redden is going, that over $6MM in available cap (from a team that is right up to the cap limit) available to upgrade the roster. It's not like Slats to sit on the checkbook.

So one can probably assume if the roster today (with maybe one more trade or budget signing) is the roster we go to camp with, then Redden will likely start the season here. wherther he finishes it will be another matter alltogether.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 10:03 PM
emodwarf

Question about burying Redden in Hartford: Would his cap hit still count each offseason (since he's on a one way contract)?

It's something I've been wondering about, especially with all the talk of burying Redden to afford Kovalchuk/whoever. If the answer to the above question is yes, and if we use that cap space elsewhere, wouldn't we have to make sure each offseason that we've cleared enough to accommodate his 6.5 cap hit anyway?

I know there's overage allowed during the offseason, but if we used that to fit his cap hit we'd need the cap to increase and then stay that way each season.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2010, 11:18 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
More likely, he'll come in and give a "great" proformance, making it that much harder for Sather to admit the mistake
Don't you mean "make it that much easier to not have to admit the mistake"?

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 12:43 AM
DekeR

I can't fathom that Dolan would give his blessings of burying a contract to the tune of 6M in the AHL. I can't see the devotion to the NYR's in that light, he has no history of even acknowledging their existence. I can however see Dolan willing to part ways with Redden on a re-entry waiver as another team claims his butt for 1/2 price. That is the only way we get rid of the clown.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2010, 10:48 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by emodwarf View Post
Question about burying Redden in Hartford: Would his cap hit still count each offseason (since he's on a one way contract)?

It's something I've been wondering about, especially with all the talk of burying Redden to afford Kovalchuk/whoever. If the answer to the above question is yes, and if we use that cap space elsewhere, wouldn't we have to make sure each offseason that we've cleared enough to accommodate his 6.5 cap hit anyway?

I know there's overage allowed during the offseason, but if we used that to fit his cap hit we'd need the cap to increase and then stay that way each season.
You've interpreted it correctly.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote