HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden to be waived at end of camp

Old
07-15-2010, 12:44 AM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
The more I think about it the more I feel we're stuck with Dredden... I mean wouldn't MCD AND Gilroy have to prove (somehow) that they're capable not only of being better than Redden (not hard) but that they can handle the full season. Gilroy couldn't last yr... can we expect MCD to handle it right out of college?

Unless Sather signs a decent vet d-man I think we'll see Redden for at least the first half of the season. Anything after that is up in the air.

God, I just depressed myself.
I don't like Redden's contract either. But it may come down to the fact that these kids just aren't ready mentally, physically..etc, enough to be deemed reliable. Like you said... As of now, Gilroy and DZ still have a lot to prove defensively. And they have a year of NHL experience under their belt's. Then we're going to put another first year kid back there? Not yet...imo.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I don't like Redden's contract either. But it may come down to the fact that these kids just aren't ready mentally, physically..etc, enough to be deemed reliable. Like you said... As of now, Gilroy and DZ still have a lot to prove defensively. And they have a year of NHL experience under their belt's. Then we're going to put another first year kid back there? Not yet...imo.
well it depends on who they can replace him with. i doubt that dolan is gonna pay him $6.5 mil to play in hartford just so fans don't have to see redden's face. if we can't get anyone to spend that cap space on then is there really a point

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 10:19 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I honestly would go to war with Eminger, McD or Valetenko instead of Redden even though I haven't seen any of them play yet (outside a couple games of Eminger) For me, the mere presence of Redden screws with this team mentally and I think hes bad in the lockerroom. That may be completely false but I really dont care. I want this guy off the team.

I'd rather have Rich Pilon, Malik, Poti Bruce Driver or any of the past whipping boys manning the 3rd pair then this guy. I just dont like his game and everything that surrounds him. Its probably completely foolish because Redden did show somewhat of improved play and hes not THAT bad, but i just cant stand him. He stands for everything thats ****ed up about this team, and reminds me of Sather everytime he touches the puck.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2010, 12:00 PM
Xtranova

Couldn't have said it better myself

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:07 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

If the Frolov rumors are true, the extra added benefit is that Wade is officially done in New York. That's a 2-4-1 I can sign up for.

Last edited by bobbop: 07-26-2010 at 02:21 PM.
bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Levitate

I still have no idea how that all will pan out of it happens. I wish there was a way to really get him off the books for good rather than have to worry about his cap hit every summer for the next 4 years.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:40 PM
JimmyStart*

I don't think he's being waived this summer. I think next summer is when he will be waived especially if Dubs and Artie both increase their scoring the way everyone expects since they'll warrant bigger contracts...roughly 4-5 mil more combined b/t the two of them.
Then we have Cally too...

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I still have no idea how that all will pan out of it happens. I wish there was a way to really get him off the books for good rather than have to worry about his cap hit every summer for the next 4 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d52dxT_7co

At 1:15, just substitute Jeff Finger for Redden and viola!

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:21 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

just curious but with a show of hands

how many of you would be willing to take 6 million dollars a year to play in the AHL ?

anyone ?

everyone ?

sign me up for that contract baby

I don't think that such a move will deter players from signing with NYR. Redden hasn't done enough to warrant the contract. Perhaps at say 3 million he is a decent contract

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:23 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
well it depends on who they can replace him with. i doubt that dolan is gonna pay him $6.5 mil to play in hartford just so fans don't have to see redden's face. if we can't get anyone to spend that cap space on then is there really a point
considering the shyte knicks contracts he has paid out, this is nothing new for mr dolan.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
considering the shyte knicks contracts he has paid out, this is nothing new for mr dolan.
For better or worse, it's not just Dolan anymore. MSG is a public company and there are others involved. Admiting a mistake gets harder when there are shareholders involved.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
I don't think he's being waived this summer. I think next summer is when he will be waived especially if Dubs and Artie both increase their scoring the way everyone expects since they'll warrant bigger contracts...roughly 4-5 mil more combined b/t the two of them.
Then we have Cally too...
Waiving a player doesn't get them off the NHL roster during the summer or the during season for that matter (just ask Voros who was waived several times, but never assigned to the minors). The only way the cap hit comes off the books is by assigning that player to the AHL and that can't happen until training camp. And if Redden ends up in the AHL for the season, under the rules he's automatically back on the NHL roster after the season ends.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:08 AM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d52dxT_7co

At 1:15, just substitute Jeff Finger for Redden and viola!
I could picture Redden's face in a video.

"Oh god, Derek Boogard is right behind me isn't he?"

Love that video.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 02:28 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Waiving a player doesn't get them off the NHL roster during the summer or the during season for that matter (just ask Voros who was waived several times, but never assigned to the minors). The only way the cap hit comes off the books is by assigning that player to the AHL and that can't happen until training camp. And if Redden ends up in the AHL for the season, under the rules he's automatically back on the NHL roster after the season ends.
Yes I know I typo'd my bad.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 04:15 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
For better or worse, it's not just Dolan anymore. MSG is a public company and there are others involved. Admiting a mistake gets harder when there are shareholders involved.
This is true.

But then again, the other poster is right too.

When Eddy Curry can get stapled to the bench making double digits, I'm sure Sather & Tortorella can get their wishes granted to have this one deal dumped in the minors.

That being said, if/when the move happens, I'm sure it will spark a change to the next CBA the way that Kovalchuk's contract is bound to do.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:18 AM
beastly115

With Frolov signed for 3M, Staal likely to get around 4M, the only options are: trade one of Drury, Rozi, or Redden, or waive Redden.

Either way you cut it, one of those 4 things has to happen at some point before the season starts.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:20 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
With Frolov signed for 3M, Staal likely to get around 4M, the only options are: trade one of Drury, Rozi, or Redden, or waive Redden.

Either way you cut it, one of those 4 things has to happen at some point before the season starts.
I will love it if all 3 happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!But will settle for one!!!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:27 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post

It better be one of the last two options!

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:33 AM
Vitto79

assuming Redden goes down they can sign Staal and Mitchell

D of :

Staal, Rozsival
Del Zotto, Mitchell
McDonaugh, Girardi
Eminger

Gilroy down/higher cap hit
Sauer
Valatenko
Niemi,etc

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:40 AM
TreeSapLlama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Staal, Rozsival
Del Zotto, Mitchell
McDonaugh, Girardi
Eminger
That D core actually looks suprisingly balanced and decent. I am still unsure of how Mitchell will play after that nasty concussion. If he returns to form though...

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I don't, not only because of his age, but what did he show us last year that shows promise? What aspect of his game did he do well? Recover quickly with good footspeed after being caught out of position?

At least with MDZ's struggles in the defensive zone we can say that he played the body well, moved the puck well in the defensive zone, and obviously contributed his fair share offensively (both on the PP and with passing through the neutral zone at ES).... MDZ shows promise and being only 19/20, we expect him to improve no his shortcomings.

But with Gilroy, I can't think of anything he did well that stood out... He needs to work on everything, his complete game.... To me that's a red flag that this player is not worth waiting.... This all factors in to his age.... If he was a 20 year old player I would not have this opinion about him at this point in time...
I don't agree at all, I think it's the opposite. What part of his game didn't show a ton of promise? What were you expecting from a rookie D in the NHL? What do you expect from a D in general?

I think Gilroys rookie season on blueline is compareble in every possible sense with like Callys rookies season up front. And I think Gilroy have great potential.

We aren't used to producing bluelineers in NY. People hav ABSURD expectations. Every forward is threated as a second comming.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:54 AM
cancer

now i think that redden staying NYR and Rozi leave the club... maybe rozi trade buffalo for stafford

cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Probably already mentioned here but if he is demoted to Hartford does any portion of the salary stay on the cap?

Also, if he fails to report to Hartford doesn't that void the contract?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 12:00 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancer View Post
now i think that redden staying NYR and Rozi leave the club... maybe rozi trade buffalo for stafford
Why would we do that? We have enough guys who can pot 35-40 points.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2010, 08:33 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Probably already mentioned here but if he is demoted to Hartford does any portion of the salary stay on the cap?

Also, if he fails to report to Hartford doesn't that void the contract?
To the first part, no. All of it is off the cap.

Second part, I'm not sure. Ask RangerBoy or someone well versed in the CBA.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote