HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Redden to be waived at end of camp

Old
07-28-2010, 09:48 AM
msv957

vCash: 500
Yeah.... Redden seems like a real prideful guy.

He was a very good NHL defenseman for over a decade. A couple
of All Star appearances. Very good career... I am sure
he laid it all on the line during his career and to just bury a
player with these credentials just does not sit well.

This is however a business and if the Rangers feel it is best
to bury Redden in the minors than so be it...

However, I feel Redden still can play in the NHL and be a good
bottom pairing defenseman and be a mentor for the young players
such as MDZ, McDonaugh and even Staal.... But, the 6.5 million dollar
cap hit is just really too much to justify what positives that Redden can
bring to the Rangers at this point in his career.

Redden is only 33 years old... Maybe he will get a 2nd wind all of a sudden
and have a few solid NHL years left.... Or maybe, this is just Fantasy Land with my
thinking.... LOL...

Lidstrom, Pronger, Chelios, Rob Blake, Rafalski, Kaberle even Mark Streit and quite a few other NHl defenseman were or are still very good or great players at the age of 33 and older.... However, I am not saying Redden is in the class of these players.... LOL.... just trying to make a point that there are tons of NHL players that are very effective at 33 yrs old and even older..

Can a player really just lose the skills at that young of an age? Could it be a confidence or mental issue with Redden? He was never
this flashy superstar of a defenseman in his prime. He seems to make the simple plays with ease and not be noticed. Why can't he play the same way now....

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
However, I feel Redden still can play in the NHL and be a good bottom pairing defenseman ...
I do too, but it doesn't sound like it can happen with Tortorella as his coach.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:25 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
When defenseman Wade Redden is waived during the camp and other summer charges are dropped at the end of September, the Blueshirts should go into the season with between 6.5M-8M of cap space ...
Wheres all the mathematicians now that insisted the Frolov signing meant that Redden DEFINITELY had to go for us to get under the cap?

Im hoping hes gone as much as anybody, but given the numbers, that remains to be seen.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:37 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Wheres all the mathematicians now that insisted the Frolov signing meant that Redden DEFINITELY had to go for us to get under the cap?

Im hoping hes gone as much as anybody, but given the numbers, that remains to be seen.
With Redden gone and Staal at 4.5 we're at 58.122 million, and that's without McDonagh, we'd be over with him.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Alexander Frolov ($3.000m)
Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / Vaclav Prospal ($2.100m) / Sean Avery ($1.938m)
Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)
Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m)
Brandon Prust ($0.800m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Michal Rozsival ($5.000m) / * Marc Staal ($4.500m)
Daniel Girardi ($3.325m) / Matt Gilroy ($1.750m)
Steve Eminger ($1.125m) / Michael Del Zotto ($1.087m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Martin Biron ($0.875m)

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 11:52 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
If Wade can stick around knowing he's clearly not wanted in Ottawa, then he'll probably have no problem playing in Hartford for 6.5M.
It'll be a lot different when he's being coached around on buses with a bunch of guys in their early 20's and playing in front of 2500 fans on any given night... Plus I'm sure him and his wife live in NYC or the immediate area so it's not exactly convenient for him to be driving out to Hartford for practices/team meetings/games, etc.... Guy was making $5 mil a year in Ottawa before he made $16 mil over the last 2 seasons... As lucrative as it sounds to us for him to continue playing, I would bet the guy is set for life financially as is...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 07-28-2010 at 12:02 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:28 PM
FOXHOUND*

From Mirtle's twitter:
Quote:
Looking at the Rangers' salary situation, it seems all but inevitable Wade Redden is headed to the minors.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:38 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

It's like Christmas in July!

Now re-sign Staal and snag Mitchell

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:42 PM
arunnair87

Quote:

That source you are quoting is saying IF we waive redden we will have that much free space not if we don't.

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:45 PM
MESSY11

redden

I have an idea how to get rid of Redden. Sather asks Dolan for 4 mil cash for the nexr 4 years sends some one to Russia give it to one of the owners of KHL team asks them to sign Redden with that money, and pay them for the next 4 years. Redden anounces his retirement and that he is leaving for KHL rather then play in Hartford. We are off the hook for his cap hit save extra couple of mil in taxes. KHL gets a former NHL star defencement Rangers get him off the books and Sather doesnt look like a moron.

MESSY11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:46 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
With Redden gone and Staal at 4.5 we're at 58.122 million, and that's without McDonagh, we'd be over with him.

FORWARDS
Brandon Dubinsky ($1.850m) / Mats Zuccarello-Aasen ($1.750m) / Derek Boogaard ($1.625m)
Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Erik Christensen ($0.925m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m)
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
If McDonagh makes it one of those to will be in hartford.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
If McDonagh makes it one of those to will be in hartford.
Rangers will carry 7 d this year..im almost positive of that.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Rangers will carry 7 d this year..im almost positive of that.
Yeah but the 7th would be Eminger. McDonagh would play.

If you keep Gilroy:

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-MDZ
Gilroy-McD
Eminger

If you don't keep Gilroy:

Staal-Girardi
Rozsival-MDZ
<Insert FA signing here/trade pickup>-McD
Eminger

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 01:57 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Been said 100 times already that if Redden declines his assignment to Hartford, the Rangers can terminate the remainder of his contract.

Redden has 4 years remaining on his deal. 23M owed. 6.5M 6.5M 5M 5M.

He'll be 37 when his contract expires. These last 4 years are it for Wade.

Is he going to get his fat money in Hartford? Or is he willing to take less, and continue playing at the NHL level. I strongly believe he can get something like 3/10M in an open market. How much pride does Wade have? . . . ()

I'd take the money. Deep down inside, everyone here probably would. Compliance buyout is how we'll make Wade dissapear forever. Let's hope the players union has another round when the new CBA is negotiated.
This is the conversation that I want to have. I think its nearly agreed league wide that the Rangers treat their players better than any other team. It seems pretty obvious that Redden is going to get waived. What do you think he does? Playing in the AHL from what I understand is a rough ride. Hours and hours riding buses and staying in cheap hotels. Thats a big adjustment.

Though the money is great, and obviously everyone here would love to play in the AHL for 23 million dollars. But for a guy like him, that would be a horrible 4 years(his perception, not ours).

I am hoping that he declines the assignment to the AHL. Voiding the contract. I am sure he could sign for 3 million elsewhere. He would definitely take a cut in pay, but those 4 years of his life will be much better.

If Redden ends up in Europe, does that void the contract as well? Or is this something that we need to deal with ever Summer with the Summer cap?

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Prospal, MZA and MDZ have bonuses. The Rangers can exceed the cap with the bonuses, but, if the bonuses are met, they are deducted from next year's cap space. And, when Brashear is sent to Hartford, the Rangers get $100,000 in space relief.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
This is the conversation that I want to have. I think its nearly agreed league wide that the Rangers treat their players better than any other team. It seems pretty obvious that Redden is going to get waived. What do you think he does? Playing in the AHL from what I understand is a rough ride. Hours and hours riding buses and staying in cheap hotels. Thats a big adjustment.

Though the money is great, and obviously everyone here would love to play in the AHL for 23 million dollars. But for a guy like him, that would be a horrible 4 years(his perception, not ours).

I am hoping that he declines the assignment to the AHL. Voiding the contract. I am sure he could sign for 3 million elsewhere. He would definitely take a cut in pay, but those 4 years of his life will be much better.

If Redden ends up in Europe, does that void the contract as well? Or is this something that we need to deal with ever Summer with the Summer cap?
I was on the Sharks forum the other day, and a few posters there were wondering if Redden would be a good fit for their bottom pair, assuming he declines his assignment to Hartford and becomes a free agent.

There isn't a doubt in my mind Wade can get an NHL contract if he was an UFA. He'll get a decent contract too imo. 3/10M? Something along those lines.

It wouldn't shock me to see a miracle happen. I love the fact that Wade got all fussy when he was benched. Seemed to really piss him off Hoping he has more pride than we all realize, and chooses to continue playing in the NHL level versus the AHL.

I think the Ace in our back pocket though, is a compliance buyout. I think Wade will accept demotion, and play. Next season, he's a goner if the players have another round of buyouts.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I still dont think enough balls are involved here to get rid of Redden as soon as training camp.

Tortorella has to have the balls to proclaim, not infer...proclaim, to Sather that Redden has got to do. I actually could see this happening taking Tortorella's demeanor into consideration. I could also see him not doing anything, benching Redden during the season, and not saying much else about it.

THEN, Sather needs to approach his boss, Jimmy Boy, and admit to making a 39 million dollar mistake...and get his boss to eat 23 million dollars while Wade spends the remainder of his career down on the farm. This I find very less likely.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 02:59 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
I still dont think enough balls are involved here to get rid of Redden as soon as training camp.
I am wondering if he even gets an invite? If Staal signs, and Redden magically turned into Wayne Gretzky in his prime, can the Rangers even keep him on the team and stay under the cap? If its impossible to keep him on the Rangers, why deal with the drama of having him at camp? Unless they believe he actually agrees to playing in Hartford.

Quote:
It wouldn't shock me to see a miracle happen. I love the fact that Wade got all fussy when he was benched. Seemed to really piss him off Hoping he has more pride than we all realize, and chooses to continue playing in the NHL level versus the AHL.

I think the Ace in our back pocket though, is a compliance buyout. I think Wade will accept demotion, and play. Next season, he's a goner if the players have another round of buyouts.
Honestly, I think Redden rejects the assignment. Its also what I am hoping for ;-). His reaction to his benching was the first thing that popped in my mind. I think he would rather take a 11-12 million paycut and play in the NHL, then ride a bus for 4 years.

My question is, if he goes to Europe, does that void is contract?

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
Honestly, I think Redden rejects the assignment. Its also what I am hoping for ;-). His reaction to his benching was the first thing that popped in my mind. I think he would rather take a 11-12 million paycut and play in the NHL, then ride a bus for 4 years.

My question is, if he goes to Europe, does that void is contract?
There is an agreement in place that doesn't allow players under contract to sign overseas. Unless both party's agree, Wade's not going to europe. I don't think that's a possibility. Wade's got a family. He's got a job paying him 6.5M a year. Would be nice, but I don't see that happening.

Old
07-28-2010, 03:45 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Boom Boom said he thought Wade could be had as a UFA for around $3mil. Which isnt unreasonable.

I know buyout is a bad option as we would be responsible for half his salery for 2x as long.

But what if we waived him and another team took on half his salary, 3.25 & 2.5 respectivly for only the original length of the contract.

Would you pay half his contract for the next 4yrs if it ment we got that cap space back for a roster spot for McD or someone that makes less for those next 4 years? Provided that was owr only realistic option.

Heck maybe even a backdoor deal with Dalas since they are paying half of Averys salary.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
Boom Boom said he thought Wade could be had as a UFA for around $3mil. Which isnt unreasonable.

I know buyout is a bad option as we would be responsible for half his salery for 2x as long.

But what if we waived him and another team took on half his salary, 3.25 & 2.5 respectivly for only the original length of the contract.

Would you pay half his contract for the next 4yrs if it ment we got that cap space back for a roster spot for McD or someone that makes less for those next 4 years? Provided that was owr only realistic option.

Heck maybe even a backdoor deal with Dalas since they are paying half of Averys salary.
I taught about this too. Doing something on re-entry waivers but it just doesn't make sense salary cap wise. Why have a 3.25 cap hit for 4 more years when you can have a zero cap hit for four more years

Section311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 04:49 PM
beastly115

Well, assuming Staal gets 4M, we're going to be over the cap by a couple mil, right?

Where's the cap thread?

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post

Buyout is the worst possible scenario, imo. 8 years of dead cap space. Or 4 years of having a cap hit of 3.25M if somebody picked him up on re-entry. It's either the AHL, or . . . I dunno...

Old
07-28-2010, 05:10 PM
patnyrnyg

Redden will be sent to the AHL and that will be that. Yes, it is a lot of money for Dolan but that is the cost of doing business. If he can't accept it, then he needs to sell the team. Look at the Yanks, they signed the Japanese pitcher a few years ago for ridiculous money. He came here couldn't hack it and was sent down. His salary had nothing to do with it. Not sure if that guy is still in their system or if he went back to Japan. Sometimes you make a bad investment and have to cut your losses.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:12 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Buyout is the worst possible scenario, imo. 8 years of dead cap space. Or 4 years of having a cap hit of 3.25M if somebody picked him up on re-entry. It's either the AHL, or . . . I dunno...
exactly. Ahl or roman lyashenko him...(Cue all the over-sensitive posters who take this stuff too seriously), my reply to all of you will be, "I know that is terrible, but relax people it is a damn message board. Not meant to be serious."

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2010, 05:26 PM
Vitto79

lets hope in the next CBA they add the Redden/Huet clause and allow a one time buy out again

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote