HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Redden to be waived at end of camp

Old
06-29-2010, 04:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Keep in mind- What a player thinks and an agent thinks are two totally different things when looking for a place to sign.

I agree with you...but do you ever think posters throw out questions just to get a conversation started?

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:23 PM
msv957

It's a real busch league thing to do to waive Redden after training camp ends... The guy will probably be busting his ass all preseason and then he is waived at the end when all along management knew they were waiving him from the start?? Not really a professional thing to do to a 14 year veteran in the NHL.... No??

UFA's wouldn't notice this busch league thing being done?

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
Even if Kovalchuk is not signed I still think Redden should/could be waived.

Itd be nice to have that extra 6.5 in space.

Nice for what? If we are not using it, then why waive him? As soon as they find a way to fill that cap space with another player, they should waive Red. Otherwise, what's the point?

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:27 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Hopefully Redden will get the hint and make it an easy decision by dogging it.

Our luck is he comes to camp in phenomenal shape, McDonaugh decides to go back to college, all the other young Dmen have a crappy camp and we keep him on. Then 6 weeks into the season he is Wade Dreadful again.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:27 PM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelZottoFutureNorris View Post
So many people keep saying this. What don't you guys understand?

If a FA is deterred from signing here because he's worried that he's going to underachieve Wade Redden-style and get sent to Hartford, then WHY WOULD YOU WANT THAT GUY TO SIGN HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

This should be an absolute non-issue with any FA's that we'd actually want here.
It's been discussed here before...b/c people believe it's speaks to how a team treats their players. NO ONE goes into any contract thinking they are going to suck it up, but if something goes south (disagreement with Torts, hit a rough patch) what happenes then?? Plus at this point it's not just about the player it's about their agent and how they pitch a team to their client too.

Someone else posted it on this thread...maybe a UFA goes meh, I'll take the second best offer and be treated with "respect".

Which is why I said with no cap advantage to doing it right now it's best to wait.

Last edited by zestystrat: 06-29-2010 at 11:12 PM.
zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
HockeyGuy1985*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Nice for what? If we are not using it, then why waive him? As soon as they find a way to fill that cap space with another player, they should waive Red. Otherwise, what's the point?

It certainly opens up options. Ask the Kings.

HockeyGuy1985* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
It's a real busch league thing to do to waive Redden after training camp ends... The guy will probably be busting his ass all preseason and then he is waived at the end when all along management knew they were waiving him from the start?? Not really a professional thing to do to a 14 year veteran in the NHL.... No??

UFA's wouldn't notice this busch league thing being done?
a) If we don't sign Kovalchuk or a big UFA, then demoting Redden may depend on how McDonagh, Valentenko, etc look in training camp.

b) If they do know they're waiving him before training camp, I would think Glen would tell him and he would likely sit out training camp.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
It's been discussed here before...b/c people believe it's speakers to how a team treats their players. NO ONE goes into any contract thinking they are going to suck it up, but if something goes south (disagreement with Torts, hit a rough patch) what happenes then?? Plus at this point it's not just about the player it's about their agent and how they pitch a team to their client too.

Someone else posted it on this thread...maybe a UFA goes meh, I'll take the second best offer and be treated with "respect".

Which is why I said with no cap advantage to doing it right now it's best to wait.
That's the risk they take and that's always been the risk with any team, whether we demote Redden or not. They're still getting all their money. For the MOST PART, I want players who want to play here. If they're scared off by the chance that they suck it up and get demoted, then I'll gladly watch them sign somewhere else.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
It's been discussed here before...b/c people believe it's speakers to how a team treats their players. NO ONE goes into any contract thinking they are going to suck it up, but if something goes south (disagreement with Torts, hit a rough patch) what happenes then?? Plus at this point it's not just about the player it's about their agent and how they pitch a team to their client too.

Rangers are known around the league for treating their players well from a quality of life perspective... Talking day to day amenities and accommodations here, facilities, etc....... We heard reports that Markus Naslund had encouraged MZA to sign with the Rangers and that that factored into his decision... I know it's been reported before that other ex-Rangers have said positive things about the organization to prospective players.... We have more going for our organization than any Redden demotion would ever jeopardize... One thing that's missed, is that waiving him also speaks towards the organization's desire to be competitive and field the best team possible, which is a positive....

Again, if a player is having doubts about his ability to play his game at an acceptable level for the amount of money him and his agent are asking for, and fears being waived at any point in the future, we should want NOTHING to do with negotiating with such a player...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 04:57 PM
jniklast

Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if we had traded for Redden during that 07-08 season like it was rumored. Everybody (including me) was against it, but in hindsight it might have saved us from this disaster. I can't imagine even Sather being so stupid to give him 6.5M per after watching him half a season play...

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jniklast View Post
Sometimes I wonder what would've happened if we had traded for Redden during that 07-08 season like it was rumored. Everybody (including me) was against it, but in hindsight it might have saved us from this disaster. I can't imagine even Sather being so stupid to give him 6.5M per after watching him half a season play...
I don't recall it ever being rumored that the Rangers were looking to trade for Redden.

06-29-2010, 05:17 PM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't recall it ever being rumored that the Rangers were looking to trade for Redden.
Now that you say it, all I can find is some rumors by Eklund back then. You must be right and that was never a real possibility.

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 05:41 PM
MadHookUp

For the people asking, "Wont this deter people from signing here?" I think alot of people made some good points that if that were the case, it would be scaring away people that dont think they can perform in NY.

But in the event that it would scare someone valuable like a Kovulchuk, he could demand a no movement clause. It protects Drury from dropping to the AHL. So in my opinion, there is no downside to dropping Redden to the minors. It amazes me that some people would feel bad for a human being getting paid 6.5 million a year to play hockey... regardless of the league.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
For the people asking, "Wont this deter people from signing here?" I think alot of people made some good points that if that were the case, it would be scaring away people that dont think they can perform in NY.

But in the event that it would scare someone valuable like a Kovulchuk, he could demand a no movement clause. It protects Drury from dropping to the AHL. So in my opinion, there is no downside to dropping Redden to the minors. It amazes me that some people would feel bad for a human being getting paid 6.5 million a year to play hockey... regardless of the league.
Good point about the no movement clause provision of the contracts, forgot about that aspect....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Yup...the anger was that Sather should not have been the person completing that trading, as well as overseeing the so-called rebuilding to come. He should have been fired prior to that trade deadline.
As true words as they have come. Sather's utter incompetence should have long ago seen the door. He should have been fired long before the Leetch trade.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:51 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Looking back on it now, turns our all of those comparisons of who was better, Redden or Chara, have been easily answered.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:52 PM
pwoz

Dallas offered Redden 500k less per year. I hate agents.

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1985 View Post
It certainly opens up options. Ask the Kings.
It opens up options in the summer when there are free agents. However, if we get to October without signing someone, getting $6.5 more cap space does absolutely nothing because there is nobody to sign.

Could there be a trade? Sure. And as soon as Slats acquires a player, he can put Red on waivers and down to the minors.

There is no reason to send Red down on October 8 when you can just as well send him down on December 3 or February 18 or any other day when the trade is made.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:10 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Dallas offered Redden 500k less per year. I hate agents.
I read a story from a Columbus that the jackets not only offered what the rangers did, but were willing to go more, and he never even got back to them after the Rangers offer

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:19 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Ok so they waive him and then what?

They are still on the hook for his salary no?
Well they still have to pay him, but i don't think it counts against the Cap (I didn't read through all of this so if someone mentioned that already, I apologize).

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:22 PM
SaveByLundqvist

Send him down, I rather see a kid play then watch Redden making bank up here to be a 3rd pairing defenseman. Let him make bank to run the pp.... in hartford

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
The past is the past, Sather ****ed up yes, but the fact of the matter is we have this albatross taking up valuable cap space right now that we can use to possibly try and make this team better. I am not sure Sather is ready to admit his mistake and send Redden down, so I am not going to put much faith in to this. Two more years and we get Drury and Rozi off the books, drop Redden to the A, and hopefully the youth comes up and reaches their potential, our team is going to contend for a cup and all that left over cap can help resign RFAs and maybe help get the one or two players needed to make a run for the cup. Until that day Drury and Rozi come off the books we are going to be mediocre at best. maybe we get lucky and sneak in the playoffs because of Hank,Gabby,MDZ, and Staal, but to really be considered a top tier team we need good support around them.

Swept In Seven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:49 PM
DutchShamrock

I don't think they send him down. It's a big step. Its basically permanent for the season once you do it. He'll perform as a top 6 defenseman in camp, convince the team that he's turned a corner and they will constantly wait for him to meet expectations while they hesitate to pull the trigger.

I don't think they do it make space for free agents, it will be strictly as a personel move. If he sucks more than 7 other guys, he'll get bounced. Otherwise he's here. It's just a weird move to send down a guy that is playing ok just to save money. And I don't even think it affects players looking to sign here, it's just a weird thing to do to a person. It's weird for Sather to admit a mistake like that. It's weird to give a guy a contract and then tell him later that his contract is bad. It's one thing for Ottawa to acquire Cheechoo and his contract and then waive him, it's another to sign a guy and send him to the minors for 4 years when he's 32.

For what it's worth, I hope he gets waived, I hope free agents hate it, I hope they refuse to come here. I don't want Sather having any extra money on July 1.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:04 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post

For what it's worth, I hope he gets waived, I hope free agents hate it, I hope they refuse to come here. I don't want Sather having any extra money on July 1.
I couldn't agree more Dutch. It would be the best thing that could happen to this organization. It would save us from ourselves.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 09:24 PM
OldBlueSeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Yeah. Personally id have no problem playing in the AHL for a few years making 6.5 per...

But this has to raise a management flag for DOLAN. You cant have your GM throwing money away like that, thats a lot of green, on the cap or not.

Raise a management flag for Dolan? Im not trying to insult you or anything like that at all but have you been following this JackAss the past 10 years. He is by far the worst GM in hockey who has wasted million and millions of $$. There is no end in sight with this clown running this team into the ground and Dolan for some strange reason keeps this dick in charge. Death will be the only way out, Just like in Chicago.

OldBlueSeats is offline   Reply With Quote