Modano not to be offered contract

Old
06-29-2010, 10:45 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo'sShow09 View Post
No, I really didn't forget Ott. I'd rather Mo than Ott on the PP. Morrow can be in front of the net.
Alright. But Ott led the whole team in PP Goals/60 mins so... he should probably be on the PP.
He was also superior to Modano in PP Pts/60.

edit: I just thought to check their PP Faceoff %
63.88 -- Ott
52.38 -- Modano

Last edited by piqued: 06-29-2010 at 11:23 PM.
piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:21 AM
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Seriously?
Seriously.

Tippett for Crawford?
Turco for Lehtonen?
Modano for Wandell?

This team is bound and determined to piss off their fan base, so yes, they can wallow in mediocrity for all I care now. Dallas fans don't back losers, and the Stars, within five years, will either relocate, or fold. Bet on it.

Stevonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:31 AM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevonidas View Post
Seriously.

Tippett for Crawford?
Turco for Lehtonen?
Modano for Wandell?

This team is bound and determined to piss off their fan base, so yes, they can wallow in mediocrity for all I care now. Dallas fans don't back losers, and the Stars, within five years, will either relocate, or fold. Bet on it.
So you're pissed because they replaced each one of the three with upgrades?

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:35 AM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Seriously.

Tippett for Crawford?
Turco for Lehtonen?
Modano for Wandell?

Sorry but Lehtonen is an upgrade over Turco. Do you really believe that the Stars should have retained Turco? Turco needs a strong defense in front of him in order to be effective. That's not something the Stars are going to have this coming season. Lehtonen is the better option. Right now he is a better goalie than Turco. Wandell is also a better 3rd or 4th line center than Modano. Modano spends too much time floating to be effective as a 3rd or 4th line center. Tippett for Crawford is still a toss up. Lehtonen and Wandell are upgrades. Sorry that two of your favorite players had to be let go, but the Stars are a better team because of those two decisions.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:41 AM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
Tippett for Crawford is still a toss up.
I know many people dislike Crawford, but the team needed a change and with Tippett the Stars would've been worse. Whether or not Crawford is around when the players learn the system or not doesn't matter to me he's teaching them the system the Stars want.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:05 AM
Dave Karp

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Alright. But Ott led the whole team in PP Goals/60 mins so... he should probably be on the PP.
He was also superior to Modano in PP Pts/60.

edit: I just thought to check their PP Faceoff %
63.88 -- Ott
52.38 -- Modano
But he also played a full minute less. So prorating for /60 minutes isn't actually a fair thing to do. I couldn't find their PP FO% but how many more FOs did Mo take? You can twist stats to argue any point which is why I've always found them misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
We're just going to disagree on this one. Modano was allegedly upset, or unhappy to some degree, that he wasn't more prominently featured on last year's team. Do you think he really earned that though?

Some nights, when he wanted to play, absolutely he did. But what about those other nights? Those nights when he just went through the motions? Unfortunately, those going through the motions nights were a more common occurrence as his career progressed.

On that note and at this point, I think the current center lineup of Richards, Ribeiro, Benn and Wandell are all superior to Modano. Even if Ribeiro is traded, and I'm not certain he will be, Modano is fourth on that list in my view and that's not the role Modano wants for himself. I don't blame him one bit for it either.
I don't think any player deserves ice time. But looking at so many players from last season, minus Richards, Benn, and Eriksson, who actually played well from start to finish? The whole team frustrated me last season. IMO, the nights were he "went through the motions" I felt occurred the majority of the team with subpar linemates. They just looked out of sync and had nothing going. Is that an excuse.. or should it be? Nope. But as my football coach used to say to us "you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop". I feel that those 3 Cs are solid. Wandell is still unproven but I like him a lot and believe he'll be a solid player. Ribs had a bad year and seemed to be in the doghouse so I'm banking on him leaving. I don't want Mo back as a 4th liner, either. Pointless for him and the team. But if that was the difference between him staying and going, I would have hoped the Stars tried to discuss it. Plus it's not like many of these guys haven't been injured. I don't want to see Toby Peterson playing 2nd line C.

Last edited by Dave Karp: 06-30-2010 at 01:17 AM.
Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:07 AM
Fly Like a C5

They needed a change from Tippett, but I'm not sure that Crawford was the change that was needed. I'm still reserving judgement. Crawford's first year wasn't any worse than Tippett's last year, but it wasn't significantly better. I'd like to see how Crawford does with a roster that's not crippled by an internal budget.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:03 AM
Chad_

Quote:
I don't think any player deserves ice time. But looking at so many players from last season, minus Richards, Benn, and Eriksson, who actually played well from start to finish? The whole team frustrated me last season. IMO, the nights were he "went through the motions" I felt occurred the majority of the team with subpar linemates. They just looked out of sync and had nothing going. Is that an excuse.. or should it be? Nope. But as my football coach used to say to us "you can't make chicken soup out of chicken poop". I feel that those 3 Cs are solid. Wandell is still unproven but I like him a lot and believe he'll be a solid player. Ribs had a bad year and seemed to be in the doghouse so I'm banking on him leaving. I don't want Mo back as a 4th liner, either. Pointless for him and the team. But if that was the difference between him staying and going, I would have hoped the Stars tried to discuss it. Plus it's not like many of these guys haven't been injured. I don't want to see Toby Peterson playing 2nd line C.
Damn I'm up late, and your old football coach's saying is pure gold.

Ahywho, my earlier comment was not about who plays well or sub par. Obviously the bulk of the team played sub par, unless you think the players just aren't very good to begin with (I don't with the forwards). But I was talking about giving an effort, which Modano has not consistently done over the length of his last contract and not just last season. For effort, you'd certainly have to include Ott, the beloved duo of Petersen and Barch, Fistric, Robidas, Grossman . . . strangely and not similar to other recent Stars teams, a fairly surprising number of others.

It's my understanding based upon comments made by both Modano and Nieuwendyk they did discuss a possible role on the team. There were even quotes by Modano last season where he talked about wanting more minutes or a more prominent role, in between his talk about how he's happy to play wherever and whenever. Given his own comments just these past couple of months, it leads me to believe he wasn't happy with his role. I don't blame him; again, it's not easy to admit you're just not the player you used to be. His role last season would be, at best and pending an injury, the same. His comments seem to indicate he wants more, and he just won't find it on this team, nor do I think he'll find it on another team that also meets his desire to play on a contending team.

Out of curiosity, and this is not directed at Mo'sShow09, but why do people feel the need to tell others they no longer support a franchise those others still do? Do they think we supporters give two flips? I saw a number of comments elsewhere where alleged season ticket holders indicated they were going to or wanted to cancel their tickets. Naturally they've already paid a non-refundable deposit, so we all know they won't. Silly people.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:06 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretsquirrel View Post
They needed a change from Tippett, but I'm not sure that Crawford was the change that was needed. I'm still reserving judgement. Crawford's first year wasn't any worse than Tippett's last year, but it wasn't significantly better. I'd like to see how Crawford does with a roster that's not crippled by an internal budget.
I don't think anyone is sure Crawford is the answer. Most on here already conclude he wasn't, to my mind too early and without having the benefit of having a full roster to work with. He certainly would not have been a front runner if the Stars polled this board. Personally I wanted Laviolette, but he also clashed with Modano during the 2006 Olympics so that was a no-go.

Old
06-30-2010, 02:31 AM
________

Modano wouldn't be happy on the fourth line. The coaching staff could struggle trying to find the right spot for him. In the meantime, players like Jamie Benn or Tom Wandell could be denied the opportunity to develop.

As for the fourth line center spot, I'm guessing it's Gagnon's spot to lose.

Old
06-30-2010, 02:36 AM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I don't think anyone is sure Crawford is the answer. Most on here already conclude he wasn't, to my mind too early and without having the benefit of having a full roster to work with. He certainly would not have been a front runner if the Stars polled this board. Personally I wanted Laviolette, but he also clashed with Modano during the 2006 Olympics so that was a no-go.
I wanted Paul Maclean or the other Detroit Red Wings assistant coach, but I'm not sure if Detroit would've given the Stars permission to talk to either one.

That said, Crawford was a much better option then Tippett for this team at this point, then Glutzen IMO will be the long term answer.

Old
06-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Seriously.

Tippett for Crawford?
Turco for Lehtonen?
Modano for Wandell?

For someone who supposedly followed the team ever since they moved to Texas, you sure are jumping off the ship extremely fast.

Be sure to not return when the fortunes do.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I think I'm in with the majority about being okay Modano is gone. He's a shell of himself and would cause huge problems in the room if he were pouting about his role on the club. I wish him well if he wants to play or retire. I think that's the one decision Nieuwendyk has made that I've totally agreed with.

Lobo,

You've been to prospects camp before. What's it like? What's access like and can you get a good look at the players on the ice? To the point where you can say yeah, so and so has good wheels, puck skills, shot and the like. Skills and drills are okay but I think I'd rather see a scrimmage or at least some 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 action. Will more details about specifics be released?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
You've been to prospects camp before. What's it like? What's access like and can you get a good look at the players on the ice? To the point where you can say yeah, so and so has good wheels, puck skills, shot and the like. Skills and drills are okay but I think I'd rather see a scrimmage or at least some 3 on 2 or 2 on 1 action. Will more details about specifics be released?
This wasn't to me, but I'll answer.

What's it like? It's like a practice, but slightly different. There's not much thrilling in watching a practice, except in this case it's guys you won't see during the NHL regular season. That makes it appealing to me.

What's the access like? It's an incredibly small practice arena and you can sit anywhere in the bleachers you want, provided you're not in anyone's lap. I'd imagine someone would have an issue with the latter.

They've done scrimmages before, and those have been really bad. They aren't actual scrimmages, rather they are mini-scrimmages. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but it's been really bad. You'd essentially be going to get a look at the guys you read about. That's always been the appeal for me, and I've always been interested in peeking behind that curtain, so to speak, on prospects.

Old
06-30-2010, 09:41 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
But he also played a full minute less. So prorating for /60 minutes isn't actually a fair thing to do.
Why not?

Old
06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Vote for Rory

forgive me if this is being discussed elsewhere. This is from Nick Kyperios on Twitter.

"RealKyper - In 05' Hicks convinced Modano to 7M less than Bos/Chi 25M offer. On promise to take care of him after he retired. Oh how things change eh. "

Vote for Rory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 10:10 AM
starsfan4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vote for Rory View Post
forgive me if this is being discussed elsewhere. This is from Nick Kyperios on Twitter.

"RealKyper - In 05' Hicks convinced Modano to 7M less than Bos/Chi 25M offer. On promise to take care of him after he retired. Oh how things change eh. "
Yeah, Hicks sucks, what else is new?

starsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Lobo,

It's basically just a normal practice. If you've ever been to training camp it's almost exactly the same except for guys you won't see come October. The sheet of ice I would imagine them using is just like a tiny practice arena with plenty of close bleachers. Usually people just stand against the glass and watch.

When I went they had a scrimmage but I definitely wasn't expecting to see one. The schedule they released is about as much as we're going to get.

Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Chad_

Quote:

Has Modano retired yet? I don't think so, so how have things changed? They haven't.

Old
06-30-2010, 12:01 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I know many people dislike Crawford, but the team needed a change and with Tippett the Stars would've been worse. Whether or not Crawford is around when the players learn the system or not doesn't matter to me he's teaching them the system the Stars want.
Quote:
That said, Crawford was a much better option then Tippett for this team at this point, then Glutzen IMO will be the long term answer.
These two comments would seem to be contradictary. Gulutzen, from everything I can tell, is a defensive-oriented coach in the "old Stars" mold.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:22 PM
IniNew

Quote:

He hasn't retired yet. The organization already said they'd find him a spot in the front office. How else can he be taken care off AFTER he retires?

IniNew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:24 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
These two comments would seem to be contradictary. Gulutzen, from everything I can tell, is a defensive-oriented coach in the "old Stars" mold.
But the organization thinks Gulutzan is part of the overall philosophy on how to play. It's just mysteriously working there and not here. They must not get down to Cedar Park much. That, or they can't afford to buy the AHL's online streaming package.

Old
06-30-2010, 12:29 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
But the organization thinks Gulutzan is part of the overall philosophy on how to play. It's just mysteriously working there and not here. They must not get down to Cedar Park much. That, or they can't afford to buy the AHL's online streaming package.
It worked there because for much of the year they had a quality group of defensemen, and got great goaltending basically all season. The also had the ever elusive right shot forwards and a think called balance.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 12:35 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...erence_quotes/
Quote:
On whether anyone in the Stars organization said if you don't make a decision by a certain date then we'll make it for you:

"Those are the conversations Joe and I had. We had a lot of them. As soon as the season was over we started talking. I think he wanted to get a beat on what I was feeling as far as playing, and what ultimately my decision was going to be if I knew at that point. I knew in the back of his mind there was a tough call to be made here soon. And if it lingered and wasn't committing one way or the other, then he after a while that he had to make that decision and that choice publicly before I did. Joe has been fantastic about the whole situation. I don't envy that situation and position. We're first and foremost friends and teammates, and we'll continue to be that no matter what happens down the road."
Now that's much more sensible.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Chad_

On one hand, you've got Modano complaining about his role in Dallas not being what he wants.

Quote:
“I think if I’m put in the right situation, I think I still can [play],” Modano said. “I’ve been slowly pulled away from my role here. Then I look around at other places and see guys still playing my age and who they play with and who they are on the ice with and I still feel I’m capable.”
On the other, you've got his comments in today's presser:

Quote:
"I think my role doesn't really have a major impact on my decision. I think you want to have a successful team, a team you feel could go deep in the playoffs. I think that is one factor in it, to make one last run at it. There's nothing like going three or four rounds deep in the playoffs. I was asked to do that with Washington and possibly Philly or Boston at the trade deadline. Those were three options. I was thinking Washington and then other two (go deep) and Philly makes the Finals. You never know what can happen. The Stars were only a point out of the playoffs at that point, so I felt there was still a chance to get in and make some waves. As far as my role, I know it's going to be similar to what it was last year, so I can accept that."