Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just say no to Modano.

Old
07-10-2010, 12:03 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

vCash: 500
Its a little humorous to think they just now got the idea they can make money off of him. It is their business afterall. If they had not been aware from the start they can make some extra money off him they should all be fired, pronto. Minnesota of all places, besides Dallas has been aware he makes money.

As far as Minny finally showing some interest in him now, I think might be more of a curious thing. Many of our fanbase has been asking for a while now why not the Wild for him to finally hang his hat? So Fletch maybe finally said, well why not us? And offered to talk to Mike.

It's no secret I'm not too thrilled to see Modano back here in Minny. And I have serious doubts he would even be interested anyways. So you Wings fans don't have much to worry about I don't think.

Blakkmantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 10:49 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

I'd take him.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 11:53 AM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakkmantis View Post
Its a little humorous to think they just now got the idea they can make money off of him. It is their business afterall. If they had not been aware from the start they can make some extra money off him they should all be fired, pronto. Minnesota of all places, besides Dallas has been aware he makes money.

As far as Minny finally showing some interest in him now, I think might be more of a curious thing. Many of our fanbase has been asking for a while now why not the Wild for him to finally hang his hat? So Fletch maybe finally said, well why not us? And offered to talk to Mike.

It's no secret I'm not too thrilled to see Modano back here in Minny. And I have serious doubts he would even be interested anyways. So you Wings fans don't have much to worry about I don't think.
Well, I would say that there's 2 different ways to look at it...

1) Fletcher went after Kovi, Lombardi, Jokinen, maybe even Frolov & Koivu and then when he realized that the best they could do was Cullen, maybe it hit him that we're back to hoping Sheppard wows in camp & that PMB has a miraculous recovery... All of a sudden Our 3rd & 4th tier options started looking more viable... AKA, maybe Modano as a 3rd liner for a season could & most likely will be an upgrade.... etc

The other option...

2) They realized that the product that they're putting on the ice will most likely fail at keeping the seats full and so in an effort to appease the casual fan, they bring home one of the most famous North Stars back so that we as fans have a slight feeling of accomplishment, as well as bridging the gap until more good seasons with a fan favorite that will probably sell at least 50,000 jersey's...

Honestly, either reason is good enough for me... I have no problem with Modano coming back for 1 season... Who cares!? We're not cup bound anyways so if he wants to play here then let him! I think it would be cool for him to start & finish his career here, plus he's still better then James Sheppard at center. Plus, I do like the story. I don't care if he made stupid comments 18 & 11 years ago... I actually have never heard what these comments were verbatum, just speculation that they were "mean" so if someone knows these so-called insults word for word, please post them!

All in all, It's a fun idea with little to no downside, he may not provide a ton of help, but he still makes us slightly better, plus he's a fan favorite, and as stupid as it sounds, It makes people feel good... "We got a North Star back in Minnesota!" ya it's stupid but at the same time, like I said earlier, There's still a sense of accomplishment that comes with it, it's kinda like saying "suck it Norm Green, one of our North Stars came home!"

Anywho, with that said, IT MOST LIKELY WON'T HAPPEN because of 1 glaring reason!!!

Modano is #9.... Koivu is #9.... No 20+ year veteran wants to give up an iconic number that will most likely be retired, by for sure the Stars. And you can't ask the nine year Wild lifer & team captain to give up his number for a 1 year stint by Modano... As small as it is, It's a deal breaker IMO. Unless either Koivu or Modano is extremely generous & willing to part with it... But can you seriosuly picture Koivu OR Modano being on the Wild & not being #9!?

* I guess there's a chance Koivu gives up #9 for 1 season & goes back to it after Modano retires because he seems like a good sport but that's doubtful...

Last edited by se7en: 07-10-2010 at 11:59 AM.
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Modano can just take 99

I don't see it happening because I'm sure if he goes anywhere it will be Detroit...but if he comes here I'd be just fine with it. Modano was my favorite hockey player growing up and if we're going to suck anyway, it would be fun for a few games.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 01:20 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Modano can just take 99

I don't see it happening because I'm sure if he goes anywhere it will be Detroit...but if he comes here I'd be just fine with it. Modano was my favorite hockey player growing up and if we're going to suck anyway, it would be fun for a few games.
His number should be #88, his draft year.

Honestly, I think you could put him at wing most of the time, and put him back at center if you shorten the bench. He does fit the skating first system, and this team could use a bit more veteran leadership.

I'm all for it, its not like he's gonna get a 5 mil/year deal...

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

I have found this thread on the Wilds own site about the topic of Modano, and why so many Minnesota Hockey fans hate him for things he has said in the past about playing here as a North Star.

http://fans.wild.nhl.com/topic/10044...no.html?page=1

Old
07-10-2010, 06:36 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
I have found this thread on the Wilds own site about the topic of Modano, and why so many Minnesota Hockey fans hate him for things he has said in the past about playing here as a North Star.

http://fans.wild.nhl.com/topic/10044...no.html?page=1
I read all of that... I still like him...

I said it in another post, but IF Mo came back to Minny, I'd say that's about the best "apology" you could ask for... I think people are over-reacting to any small comments that were made because at the time, we were looking for any reason to hate the new Stars, and Norm Green... We don't know the meaning behind his "money" gesture... Maybe Broten stayed a huge Stars fan so he was selling out to promote the Wild!? I mean he was a North Star & a Star for a while too, & unlike us fans, a player can't hate his franchise because of one bad owner moving the team... Maybe it was all Modano just joking with his friend & old teammate?

The fact is, he left with the team & yes we booed him when he came back to Minny... BUT, I can't imagine we booed him because we hated him. It was because we got a team back & he was one of the last remaining North Stars, and it still hurt they were gone... It was like "Hey We got a new team & you left us so boooo" It's no different then showing off your new hotter girlfriend after a painful break-up with the last one.. I think all the hate & dislike are over blown, I think Modano has a deep affection for Minnesota, & I think he showed that in his last game against the Wild... He WANTED to wear his North Stars jersey even more then he got to, he cried during our tribuite to him, & he is now considering coming back... So people are going to hate & hold onto old grudges but I think he's a good guy & I would love to cheer him on as a Minnesotan one more time...

Old
07-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Minnesota sports fans have the thinnest of skin.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

I'll drop the subject now, I had just wanted to point out something I think many if not most Minnesota fans didn't know, or didn't remember.

I'm entitled to feel the way I feel about someone saying something that pissed me off, and stuck with me over many years. I'll not apologize for that.

Next topic, I'm through with this...

Old
07-10-2010, 08:28 PM
se7en
infamous...

Quote:
I'll drop the subject now, I had just wanted to point out something I think many if not most Minnesota fans didn't know, or didn't remember.

I'm entitled to feel the way I feel about someone saying something that pissed me off, and stuck with me over many years. I'll not apologize for that.

Next topic, I'm through with this...
for sure man! I was just saying that I still like him, I wasn't trying to convince you or change your opinion.

Hey, we both still love the North Stars! So now worries!

Did you know... my computer name & hockey number have always been #7 as a tribute to Neal Broten. The more you know.... hahaha

Old
07-10-2010, 09:04 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
I hate Modinko with a passion.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 05:02 PM
MissWilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Here is my proposal to all Wild fans, casual and serious.

Just say NO to ModaNO.

Say it again; "No to ModaNO."

Repeat as often as necessary.

Kthxbai.

Agreed!!!! I'd rather have Owen Nolan back..

MissWilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 10:47 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
Did you know... my computer name & hockey number have always been #7 as a tribute to Neal Broten. The more you know.... hahaha
Same here. And if 7 is taken, I always try for some iteration of it (16, 25, etc) for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissWilder View Post
Welcome!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2010, 11:12 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissWilder View Post
Welcome MissWilder!

Old
07-12-2010, 01:32 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Same here. And if 7 is taken, I always try for some iteration of it (16, 25, etc) for that reason.
Why not use his Gophers #14?

Old
07-12-2010, 01:42 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Someone always had it when I was younger.

Old
07-12-2010, 01:52 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Old
07-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

^^ wrong thread maybe? lol

God I miss Herb Brooks tho. Might have to go watch my copy of Miracle now after seeing that one vid.

Old
07-12-2010, 02:00 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

There's never a wrong thread for Neal Broten.

Old
07-12-2010, 02:13 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

^^^ EXACTLY!

Besides, the conversation had turned to Neal, so IMO it was very appropriate!

Old
07-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
^^^ EXACTLY!

Besides, the conversation had turned to Neal, so IMO it was very appropriate!
Good point besides I've talked about Modano lately till I'm blue in da face. Good time to divert topic to something else, lol.

Old
07-12-2010, 11:40 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Here’s the question that I have to ask in order to even remotely consider changing my opinion on bringing Modano into the Wild roster.

Will he make the team better?

It’s hard to judge whether or not a 40 year old center with a declining point total would help the team. He has netted 14, 15, 21, 22 goals over the last four seasons all with decreased ice time. It’s also difficult for me to figure out where he would fit in the line-up. You could not put him between Clutterbuck, Nystrom or Staubitz for a “4th” line. However, assuming a healthy Bouchard, a Kobasew – Modano – Bouchard line (for our “3rd” scoring line) wouldn’t be that *bad*.

The one thing that it does mean is that if Modano is signed by the Wild, Sheppard, Almond and Wellman will be spending the season in Houston. There would no longer be room for the “kids” on a roster that contains a 40-year-old Modano.

Right now, my answer is “No, he would not make the team better”.

However, from a marketing perspective... There would be a ****-ton of Modano jersey's sold...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

In all my research this past week, for another Modano thread here on these forums. I read one interview from last season where Modano admitted his legs ain't what they used to be, and by games end he is pretty gassed now compared to how he used to be. Which usually is the sign a guy should pretty much hang up his skates.

The more I think about it, being as we got little to no chance at a cup in the near future here. The spot he would be filling might be better served giving some young kid some experience instead. You may be right in your thoughts.

Old
07-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last year, Modano put up more goals per game than anyone on the roster after our top five (Koivu, Bruno, Miettinen, Havlat, Latendresse). If he can still play at that level, he'd be an upgrade on our third line.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Blakkmantis
Old Time Hockey EH!

But then again I'm about as biased as anyone about him so....