HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NBA (schedule) impacts more than NHL; a look at creating AHL schedule

Old
08-04-2010, 01:01 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
NBA (schedule) impacts more than NHL; a look at creating AHL schedule

http://www.sharksahl.com/story.asp?story_id=2251
Creating the AHL schedule.

• Preliminary available/black out dates in February.
  • Playing matrix after BOG meeting in July (who plays whom, number of games)
  • Finalized availability dates after NBA schedule fixed in mid-July
  • Released August

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:19 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

In terms of jobs that'll drive you to drink, making a master schedule for a sports league has to be one of the more fun ones

I'm surprised that computers haven't made it to the point where schedules can't be automatically made by specifying paremeters - blackout dates, travel restrictions, and soforth - and clicking 'OK'. I remember seeing a piece of SportsDesk - that's how long ago it was! - on the making of the MLB schedule, and how they couldn't use a omputer to make the schedule because the thing would crash because of the sheer amount of data involved.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
In terms of jobs that'll drive you to drink, making a master schedule for a sports league has to be one of the more fun ones

I'm surprised that computers haven't made it to the point where schedules can't be automatically made by specifying paremeters - blackout dates, travel restrictions, and soforth - and clicking 'OK'. I remember seeing a piece of SportsDesk - that's how long ago it was! - on the making of the MLB schedule, and how they couldn't use a omputer to make the schedule because the thing would crash because of the sheer amount of data involved.
As a math major, way back when, I can tell you that the type of program you are talking about could take a **Cray** super computer days to calculate out. This is a simple-in-idea, but extremely-complex-logic-data-rule-problem. (Combinatorics, IIRC the sub-field/speciality.)

There are 200+ parameters **per team** (from dates available/black out dates), so more than 6000 parameters for the league big picture.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
As a math major, way back when, I can tell you that the type of program you are talking about could take a **Cray** super computer days to calculate out. This is a simple-in-idea, but extremely-complex-logic-data-rule-problem. (Combinatorics, IIRC the sub-field/speciality.)

There are 200+ parameters **per team** (from dates available/black out dates), so more than 6000 parameters for the league big picture.
...that or the AHL is just to damn cheap to get a good computer

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote