HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Marc Staal (offer sheet)

Old
06-29-2010, 07:46 PM
JSilvius*

vCash: 500
1) It's laughable to suggest that other general managers in the league will be afraid to send offer sheets to anyone on the Rangers because Sather is "vindictive". This is a business, if the other general managers are afraid of sending offer sheets to the Ranger's players, they shouldn't have a job. They also shouldn't have to worry about Sather sending offer sheets to their players because they shouldn't be irresponsible enough to let their younger star players become restricted free agents in the first place. Most good general managers sign their young players before this occurs (Washington and Backstrom). Sather made a bunch of irrational deals and he will have to live with them now. If someone sends a 5/5.5 million+ offer sheet to Staal, he won't be playing in New York anymore.

2) It's laughable that people think Redden can be buried in the minors. The NHLPA would go insane and other NHL players would be skeptical of signing in New York as long as the Sather regime is still in charge. It would destroy the clubs credibility for the foreseeable future. (If it was that easy, teams like the Maple Leafs would have dumped Jeff Finger in the AHL years ago)

3) Duchene has stated many times that his life long dream was to play for the Avalanche, so I doubt he would even entertain the idea of signing an offer sheet with New York over Colorado/ even make it to restricted free agency (because he would sign a contract with Colorado as soon as possible).

JSilvius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I'm sure Sather will overspend during the next 2 years, at some point. He gives out some of the worst contracts, he should stop living off his 80's Oilers rep. What has he done since the 80's to justify that he's a good GM?
I agree he does give out some bad contracts but theres been rumours in the next couple of years that he will step down and there will be a successor.

Besides that your forgetting that 2 of the 3 contracts come up the same time in 2 seasons.. which will be 12m free in the 12-13 season. the other 6.5 from redden will be gone when hes sent to the ahl after training camp. so no way he will have the money to overspend until the 2012-13 season and by then hell be gone.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
It's not "crossing him" if its within the rules. I think you are putting too much value on "respect" and also giving too much to Sather.
Offer sheets are in existence to protect young players' rights, and so they don't get lowballed by the team that owns those rights. They are not a tool to "steal" players. So while it may not be a rule, its unwritten understanding that its not the way you do business.

Sather is old school, and if you cross him, he will spend his remaining days making your life miserable, and he has the connections to do just that.

You don't have to agree with me, but you won't see an offer sheet for a Rangers player while Sather is in NY.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan7 View Post
1) It's laughable to suggest that other general managers in the league will be afraid to send offer sheets to anyone on the Rangers because Sather is "vindictive". This is a business, if the other general managers are afraid of sending offer sheets to the Ranger's players, they shouldn't have a job. They also shouldn't have to worry about Sather sending offer sheets to their players because they shouldn't be irresponsible enough to let their younger star players become restricted free agents in the first place. Most good general managers sign their young players before this occurs (Washington and Backstrom). Sather made a bunch of irrational deals and he will have to live with them now. If someone sends a 5/5.5 million+ offer sheet to Staal, he won't be playing in New York anymore.

2) It's laughable that people think Redden can be buried in the minors. The NHLPA would go insane and other NHL players would be skeptical of signing in New York as long as the Sather regime is still in charge. It would destroy the clubs credibility for the foreseeable future. (If it was that easy, teams like the Maple Leafs would have dumped Jeff Finger in the AHL years ago)

3) Duchene has stated many times that his life long dream was to play for the Avalanche, so I doubt he would even entertain the idea of signing an offer sheet with New York over Colorado/ even make it to restricted free agency (because he would sign a contract with Colorado as soon as possible).
1) if someone offeres staal that money then he FIRST has to sign there and want to go there.. hes always been a ranger fan so sorry to burst your bubble but he isnt going anywhere regardless..

2) it wouldnt cause any problems with the NHLPA and the league would say NOTHING about it. No player is gonna have a problem signing in ny if its done. You have no idea what your talking about, stick with your own teams problems. The only effect it will have on other FA signings will be that you better perform to what your being paid for or dont sign here.. We dont want players who are gonna ***** out and not play to expectations or what theyre worth.

3) that may be true but your basically contradicting yourself with Staal and the Rangers.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:03 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Offer sheets are in existence to protect young players' rights, and so they don't get lowballed by the team that owns those rights. They are not a tool to "steal" players. So while it may not be a rule, its unwritten understanding that its not the way you do business.

Sather is old school, and if you cross him, he will spend his remaining days making your life miserable, and he has the connections to do just that.

You don't have to agree with me, but you won't see an offer sheet for a Rangers player while Sather is in NY.
I would've thought the same thing about offer sheets going Burke's way. The guy is a vindictive loud mouthed SOB with connections all over the place. Yet Lowe still sent the offer sheet.

If a NYR player gets an offersheet (which will probably never happen in 100 years) it will probably be by another old school GM you wouldnt see it coming from.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:06 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
I would've thought the same thing about offer sheets going Burke's way. The guy is a vindictive loud mouthed SOB with connections all over the place. Yet Lowe still sent the offer sheet.
Is Lowe still the GM in Edmonton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
If a NYR player gets an offersheet (which will probably never happen in 100 years) it will probably be by another old school GM you wouldnt see it coming from.
Don't hold your breath.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:08 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:

I don't agree. The NHL is a business and if the option of making your team better is available, then it has to be explored. I'm sure an offer sheet would upset NYR fans and Sather, but that's really of no concern to other GM's and their clubs fan base. It's talked about all the time that GM's wouldn't be doing their jobs if they didn't at least entertain an offer or idea.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:

Don't hold your breath.
Lol, he's actually the president of hockey operations now, but thanks for looking that one up before posting

Old
06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Jim Rutherford still has a job. Maybe he'd like to add another Staal to his collection. And considering he hates drafting defenders it could be a good way to get a good young one.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:14 PM
HemskyToHall*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
How about Hemsky, Smid, Cogliano?

That doesn't terribly hurt our re-build plans, and it still nets the Rangers quite the deal. Once again probably not enough, but if we really wanted him we would have to overpay (Which means including MPS/Eberle).
I loled Hemsky is better than Staal. And we have to add.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:14 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
NYR would match up to about 6 I'd guess
Sounds about right. If someone offered 6, the Rangers would be in cap trouble, I think.

Was looking at the history of offer sheets. St. Louis used to be evil.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I don't agree
I don't care. Hit me up when a Rangers player gets an offer sheet while Sather is runnin' the show.

Quote:
Lol, he's actually the president of hockey operations now, but thanks for looking that one up before posting
Thanks captain obvious. Ever think the reason he got "promoted" might be because he was getting blackballed by other GM's?

Old
06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
I don't care. Hit me up when a Rangers player gets an offer sheet while Sather is runnin' the show.

Thanks captain obvious. Ever think the reason he got "promoted" might be because he was getting blackballed by other GM's?
Lol, if that was the case why give him a promotion? Why not fire or demote him?

Old
06-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Obviously if you didn't car you wouldn't have wasted the time responding to me. You care! Being angry that I don't agree with your ideals shows that.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Edmonton hasn't exactly been the model NHL franchise.

Maybe they didn't want to fire Lowe, but had to "promote" him because other GM's would no longer deal with him, hence Tambellini's arrival?

I'm not gonna go round and round all day about an offer sheet for Marc Staal that is never gonna happen. If it does, you can feel free to PM me or start a thread about it, and I will gladly eat crow.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:29 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:

Laughable, nope. He is not living up to his contract. Not even close. If there are other players that make the team over him, then he belongs in Hartford. He should not be given a spot just because of his bloated contract. And if Dolan is willing to pay him to sit in the AHL, then why should it bother anyone else.

And if this means a UFA that wants to cash in a big paycheck and not play hockey won't come to NY, all the better.

But I guess burying Kaspar sure had that effect on other UFAs not signing in NY...

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Obviously if you didn't car you wouldn't have wasted the time responding to me. You care! Being angry that I don't agree with your ideals shows that.
I love how people can tell I'm angry, as they read my posts behind their computer screen.

Like, if you steal my chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream, I can assure you I would not be very happy. But some random internet surfer on a message board? Yea, no.

How 'bout a hug?

Old
06-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Say what you want about Sather, but other GM's will not cross this guy.

No Ranger player will ever receive an offer sheet while Sather is at the helm. Not gonna happen.
I call BS. Lou Lamoriello is much more respected and feared across the NHL then Sather and Clarke offered Gionta an offer sheet back in 2006, which Gionta simply did not sign. If they aren't scared of Lamoriello, I doubt they are scared of Sather.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Edmonton hasn't exactly been the model NHL franchise.

Maybe they didn't want to fire Lowe, but had to "promote" him because other GM's would no longer deal with him, hence Tambellini's arrival?

I'm not gonna go round and round all day about an offer sheet for Marc Staal that is never gonna happen. If it does, you can feel free to PM me or start a thread about it, and I will gladly eat crow.

I won't come back to make you eat crow, but it's nice to see a poster that's willing to admit if they were wrong. Seldom do people take responsibility for the words they speak or write. REP for being able to admit them

Old
06-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
then you really have no idea what your talking about.. hemsky is a good player but #1 shutdown defensman who just turned 23 and is having his offensive game come around dont grow on trees. well keep staal and you keep hemsky.

Old
06-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I won't come back to make you eat crow, but it's nice to see a poster that's willing to admit if they were wrong. Seldom do people take responsibility for the words they speak or write. REP for being able to admit them
Hell, I'm wrong as much as I'm right. If you ask my wife, I'm more wrong than right, but since I pay the bills, and since she always has enough money to buy clothes and shoes, she deals with it

Old
06-29-2010, 08:38 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:

3) You are 100% right.

2) You are 100% wrong. Sending a player to the AHL to relieve cap-pressure is in the rules for a reason. The NHLPA would not be able to do a damn thing but complain and I doubt they even would. We're not simply sending Redden down because we're bored and want a shiny new too. We'd be sending him down because he hasn't lived up to even half of his ridiculous salary. He's getting 6.5 million to be the 5th or 6th worst defenseman on the team. He doesn't do any particular thing better than average and his skating, physicality, and offense are all well BELOW average. It would not destroy the club's credibility at all. The Rangers are known as an organization that treats its players extremely well. Do some research if you don't believe me. And sending down a classic case of underachievement only sends the message that this is not a country club and the Rangers care about WINNING and icing the most competitive team that they can. And as far as sending the wrong message to future UFAs... If they're worried that they're going to SUCK and get sent down, then I don't want them here to begin with. High-profile players could also ask for a no-movement-clause.

1) You are 100% wrong. If someone gives Staal a 5-5.5 mil offer sheet, the Rangers will match it. They can buy out Drury if they absolutely had to. There are always ways to make room in desperate times. They're not going to lose their franchise defenseman over a few million dollars. I doubt it ever gets to this point anyway.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
solitary

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyPwnsSoccer View Post
Staal >>> Hemsky
Don't be delusional.

solitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
It's not "crossing him" if its within the rules. I think you are putting too much value on "respect" and also giving too much to Sather.
It's an unwritten rule that you don't throw offer sheets at players. One which Kevin Lowe broke, and ever since he's broken it, nothing has gone his way and he was "promoted" to President of Hockey Operations.

Quote:
It wasn't exactly a "promotion", because you don't fire a LEGENDARY figure in your club's history. Does nothing but create terrible PR.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Canucker
Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
It's an unwritten rule that you don't throw offer sheets at players. One which Kevin Lowe broke, and ever since he's broken it, nothing has gone his way and he was "promoted" to President of Hockey Operations.

It wasn't exactly a "promotion", because you don't fire a LEGENDARY figure in your club's history. Does nothing but create terrible PR.
Well get used to it happening more often because its a useful tool and I think the stigma is wearing off.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote