HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs acquire Boyd, Ellis and futures from Predators for Sergei Kostitsyn and futur

Old
06-29-2010, 07:34 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 500

Give him the decision over noted pugilist Andrew Cogliano.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:35 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

Seriously I've been over this before, but Cliff's notes: the system is complete and utter crap; it's actively detrimental to most of the team. It sucked in the regular season and it sucked in the playoffs. Luck, opportunistic scoring, and goaltending carried the Habs in the playoffs and precious little else. Any system can work if the goalie plays superhuman and your top sniper shoots 25%... and even then it was a close thing.

The team seems to have a serious problem integrating kids to its team. This is not a good trade.

That said, there were actually clues that Martin found use for Sergei. He played whatever tough minutes were left over after Gomez and Pleks, had a regular PK shift, and essentially zero PP time. A useful, unglamorous role, but at Sergei's price point, a bargain.
If Sergei wants to be treated like a grown up, he needs to act like one. I'm just glad he's out of this franchise as much as I'm glad Grabovski is out.

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
.909 this year and .900 the year before... He's a back-up.
Ellis has a career .912 save percentage...same as Price. Does that make him any more or less of a backup than Carey?

Ellis is a solid guy, and someone we can fall back to if Price falters. According to their board, he's a #1, and pretty much other fanbases who coveted him (San Jose) think so too. He's inconsistent though.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The...ment_for_price

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5on3 View Post

LMAO at Sergei partying in Nashville
Honestly, I'm going to travel to Nashville just to have a chance to party with him.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:36 PM
Aurel Joliat

I'm happy with this trade !

I expect Ellis to sign here but not Boyd

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Dustin Boyd is another player that "could" have been good. We're still waiting. You have to wonder that if he signs, we'd have to let Moore go. Is it really a choice between one or the other? 'Cause if so, Moore wins easily.

And if it's the case, it's Moore, 2nd round pick in 2011, 5th round pick in 2012 for....Dustin Boyd. By luck Moore gave us a good end of the season last year.
You lost me here. That's like saying if I bought a shovel for $30, traded the shovel a few months later for an axe, and then traded the axe in for a case of beer.....the case of beer cost me $30 plus a shovel plus an axe. That logic has some serious flaws.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Coldplay
Courage

From the Nashville board:

He does a good job of stopping the first shot, but has bad rebound control and will leave a lot of pucks out there up for grabs. He's pretty good with the puck (obviously, since he came out of the Dallas system). He's really agile in goal, but also tends to bite on the first deke in 1v1 situations.

The big thing that keeps Ellis from being a starting goaltender is his consistency. He'll be dynamite for 20 games or so, and then he'll go for a stretch where he regularly gives up 3-5 goals per game. He's really competitive, though, so he always gets fired up come playoff time.

If you're looking for someone to split starts with Price while he develops, Ellis is your man. For anything else, you probably have better options. He's a great guy, though. You'll definitely want to follow his Twitter account.

----

Ellis isn't a superstar goalie or anything, but he can be solid. He had an off year last season, but I think a lot of that had to do with the rotation between he and Rinne. I don't think he ever got his confidence for a long period of time. When he's on he can be money. He also showed us he has another level to his game in a play off series against Detroit. He does give up rebounds, but he's pretty athletic so he can get back usually. Loves to play the puck, which can help on the power play. Of course, I wouldn't know since I'm a fan of a team without that particular special teams luxury. He does have a problem with losing weight during the course of a game, though

I know one thing. The guy is nothing but class. He has a great sense of humor and will be a wonderful locker room presence. If Habs fans boo this guy it'll give me all the more reason to dislike them

----

Ellis is a #1 starter for a lot of teams. He has his cold streak but when hes hot hes a top goalie in the league. You will like him for sure

Old
06-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Canadienjet

9 thumbs up.Cant believe the return all I wanted was a pick for him.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
andreconstantin

Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
habs got a replacement for Moore....if he signs that is. We need good bottom six players. It's kinda cheap for me to hate on Lapierre because of his PO but I don't like him. I think he is a 4th liner at best. I hope our bottom 6 will be made of guys like White, Boyd and etc... who are gritty players with some offensive pop.

andreconstantin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
"Less than 3 million a year"... which probably means more than 2, which is really way too much.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:39 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I agree 200% with this article.

Old
06-29-2010, 07:39 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamary View Post
If Sergei wants to be treated like a grown up, he needs to act like one. I'm just glad he's out of this franchise as much as I'm glad Grabovski is out.
The problem with this fanbase is that many of the fans here believe players are entitlted to playing time and a roster spot, based solely on the fact that they are talented.

Who cares if they have bad attitudes, don't work hard and are disliked by their teammates?

Why do you think Kovalev was so adored here?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:40 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
"Less than 3 million a year"... which probably means more than 2, which is really way too much.
Price is going to sign in the $2m range. Why do you think having two capable #1 goalies for $4m is way too much?

Old
06-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Ellis has a career .912 save percentage...same as Price. Does that make him any more or less of a backup than Carey?

Ellis is a solid guy, and someone we can fall back to if Price falters. According to their board, he's a #1, and pretty much other fanbases who coveted him (San Jose) think so too. He's inconsistent though.
Look at Ellis stats, even in the AHL it's weak he didn't dominate like Halak did.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:41 PM
Darth Joker

Nice move if we resign Boyd and/or Ellis at decent cap hits.

Ellis would be a good backup and insurance policy for Price.

Boyd is a good bottom six forward. Nothing flashy, but solid. He'll fit in well on our team if we keep in.

All in all, this is a better return than I thought SKost alone could fetch. Not bad, Gauthier.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:42 PM
HabsoluteFate

good deal if they can resign either Boyd and/or Ellis....

hell who am i kidding...good deal regardless as he's probably a cancer to the team...although if he ever changes his attitude he'll be a pretty good player

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:43 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Price is going to sign in the $2m range. Why do you think having two capable #1 goalies for $4m is way too much?
Because a- it's probably going to end up being closer to 4.5m and b- the Habs really can't afford it especially if they want to fill up their biggest hole, that missing winger in the top 6 (unfortunately, it currently appears that the Habs are going to roll the dice on Pouliot, which IMHO is unwise; one of the reasons I don't see Montreal as a playoff team next year).

The Habs' entire salary structure is predicated on getting quality goaltending for bargain money. Price-Ellis affords the requisite quality, but the money is too much. They had about 3M of cap hit for both their goalies last year, and can scarcely afford to spend more.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mvp76

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Things I am calling right now ;

1. "Why trading Sergei was the wrong move" will be a thread that pops up, mid-way through the season.

2. "Price -vs- Ellis" thread is inevitable.

3. "No Moore Boyd, please" will come up, should we not re-sign Moore and choose to go with Boyd instead.

4. "Fire Gauthier" is a sure thing.

This of course, is if the worst case scenarios happen.

As for my thoughts. I do like this trade. We not just get Boyd and Ellis in the trade (or they're rights, I should say) but we also get another important player in return ; Andrei Kostitsyn. No more distractions, no more little brother to look out for. Time to smarten up, focus and play some inspired hockey. As for Sergei, I wish him nothing but the best of luck. I do think he has the potential to be top 6, but the problem is that his potential of that would not happen in Montreal.

Good luck Sergei! Welcome Boyd and Ellis!
If he can find that touch he had when he was scoring almost every other game before getting injured.. If I remember well it was also late and dirty hit with no call.
I was hard on him at the end of the year but when he was on he was great. Also layed out a mean hit

Sergei was finished here. I don't care what he does for other teams unless he's playing us. Some saying they should of kept him on the team anyways must be forgetting the distraction he was all last year, the playoffs and even in the off season. Good luck attention *****

See what we can do for signings..If only one signs we get a 5th rounder along with it..We drafted Sergei in the 7th round!!!

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
Look at Ellis stats, even in the AHL it's weak he didn't dominate like Halak did.
Who the hell is saying Ellis is better than Halak?

Old
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
I'm happy with this trade !

I expect Ellis to sign here but not Boyd
Pretty much no choice, he's a RFA

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Habs514

Nice column by Bob McKenzie on this trade

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=326082

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
Damn what a nice trade.

I was hoping for a late rounder.

would have prefer the right on Ladd but still, I'm surprised we even got something for him.

Poor Sergei, Nashville is a bad fit for him IMO.
They have some vry good bars.
+

There is no sports media to watch him.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Pretty much no choice, he's a RFA
Do you read the contract situation of Boyd ?

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

From The Score Sports Forecaster 2009-10 Preview Edition:
"Boyd has all the skills necessary to be a point producer and top-six forward at the NHL level. At 23, he's still young enough to bulk up in order to better handle the tough areas and become more effective. With his slick ability and soft hands, he may break out offensively in 09-10. Look for Boyd to move ip the depth chart.

Finally a trade by the Habs that I love. Even if Ellis moves on, Boyd for Sergei, I'd do that any day!

AlexGalchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote