HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Flyers Prospects & Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2010, 08:03 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Yeah the guy doing radio for the Phantoms is awesome.

Phantoms look good tonight for sure. (Now losing 2-1 though...god.)

I don't agree Nodl should get a shot before Maroon, but that's because Maroon is offensively competent.

Nodl is solid, even very good, at mostly everything expect within a 10 foot circle around the net. It's scary how much he can screw up the simplest thing when it comes to providing offense. The most he can realistically do is win the pucks and get those pucks to his teammates. I don't know what else to say about that. It's one of the most bizarre problems I've seen in a long time.

I like Nodl over Carcillo or Powe in the top 9, but not by much.
Unless he absolutley lights it up early and stays hot, there is a good chance Maroon wont get called up( at least not for a while if at all) as they want to send him message. Now his play and outlook could surely alter those plans. If he is called up they need to put him with 2 guys and keep him there for a 10-15 game run. This is his 3rd year of pro hockey. They need to see what he has, early in the year is the time to do it. It is up to Maroon to force their hand. Carcillo isnt a top 9 player and you know what you will get with him.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:21 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
I don't agree Nodl should get a shot before Maroon, but that's because Maroon is offensively competent.

Nodl is solid, even very good, at mostly everything expect within a 10 foot circle around the net. It's scary how much he can screw up the simplest thing when it comes to providing offense. The most he can realistically do is win the pucks and get those pucks to his teammates. I don't know what else to say about that. It's one of the most bizarre problems I've seen in a long time.

I like Nodl over Carcillo or Powe in the top 9, but not by much.
I can't argue against your point on Nodl because he hasn't showed otherwise (since he's left the NCAA) but I thought he looked surprising very good in the preseason. I'm hoping something finally clicked. It sucks that he's just sitting out right now, I wish they would have sent him down for this weekend to get some games under his belt and hopefully at least show that he can score at that level. Nodl for some reason always looked better playing for the Flyers than he did with the Phantoms to me.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25 View Post
I can't argue against your point on Nodl because he hasn't showed otherwise (since he's left the NCAA) but I thought he looked surprising very good in the preseason.
I wasn't surprised at all.

The list now includes you and half the Flyers' forum that lives for the day that we can declare Nodl a bust. It gets kind of annoying at times.

The kid is a very good player, who was obviously a scorer in college, but for some reason something is seriously holding him back mentally. I don't know if he's panicking or trying to hard. It's really a shame.

Quote:
I'm hoping something finally clicked. It sucks that he's just sitting out right now, I wish they would have sent him down for this weekend to get some games under his belt and hopefully at least show that he can score at that level. Nodl for some reason always looked better playing for the Flyers than he did with the Phantoms to me.
I agree with most of this, except I thought he played pretty well for the Phantoms as well.

Old
10-15-2010, 08:31 PM
hockeyphan25

Kalinski from Maroon

and then

Wellwood with a "absolute beauty"

now 3-2 Phantoms

Old
10-15-2010, 08:41 PM
hockeyphan25

Quote:
I wasn't surprised at all.

The list now includes you and half the Flyers' forum that lives for the day that we can declare Nodl a bust. It gets kind of annoying at times.

The kid is a very good player, who was obviously a scorer in college, but for some reason something is seriously holding him back mentally. I don't know if he's panicking or trying to hard. It's really a shame.
When I said I was surprised I didn't mean that I was expecting him to suck. I expected a smart player who wouldn't make mistakes and hopefully start to show some of the offensive upside we were hoping for. After last season I think most of us had little hope left for his offensive upside. What I saw in the preseason was what looked like a top six forward. He looked stronger, faster, more assertive, and more confident.

Old
10-15-2010, 09:11 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Kalinski from Maroon

and then

Wellwood with a "absolute beauty"

now 3-2 Phantoms
Awesome win by the Phantoms tonight.

Maroon is the center of this offense in a big way with Matsumoto gone, Gustafsson is really making a mark, and Wellwood is looking better every time I see him.

I want to see more from Pither, but I can't complain about the way things look right now.

Quote:
When I said I was surprised I didn't mean that I was expecting him to suck. I expected a smart player who wouldn't make mistakes and hopefully start to show some of the offensive upside we were hoping for. After last season I think most of us had little hope left for his offensive upside. What I saw in the preseason was what looked like a top six forward. He looked stronger, faster, more assertive, and more confident.
He looked that way everywhere but around the net. He needs to display his confidence and assertiveness in scoring opportunities. If he did that, he would've won the job outright. There would be no need for Guerin invite and likely no talk about calling up Maroon.

Old
10-16-2010, 08:27 AM
jb**

many of you have complained about gilbert and how he handles young guys. Seems to be doing a piss poor job with rinaldo and the rotation. A guy plays a solid game from all accounts then gets scratched for Clackson. Not a smart move to keep rotating those 2. Clackson is no longer a prospect, rinaldo is and hsold be playing.

Old
10-16-2010, 09:06 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
many of you have complained about gilbert and how he handles young guys. Seems to be doing a piss poor job with rinaldo and the rotation. A guy plays a solid game from all accounts then gets scratched for Clackson. Not a smart move to keep rotating those 2. Clackson is no longer a prospect, rinaldo is and hsold be playing.
This is especially surprising because (I thought) Gilbert hated fighting and scratched the goon type players and put guys like Legein on the 4th line last year.

Old
10-16-2010, 11:16 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Huh? Rinaldo is hurt....

Old
10-16-2010, 11:22 PM
MarcPiquesFan

Tye McGinn scored an hat trick saturday and here's his third goal (in OT) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSjSBBUL860

Old
10-17-2010, 07:49 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Huh? Rinaldo is hurt....
what type of injury?

Old
10-17-2010, 11:29 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
what type of injury?
Dont know. PSPhantoms said he got hurt during practice. All I could find.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:09 PM
CerpinTaxt

Kovar 46 of 47 in game, and 2 of 4 in shootout for a 2-1 win in his latest game.

Looks like Kovar could maybe see time in the AHL soon with Riopel. Roll a Riopel/Kovar tandem if Backlund isnt back for another AHL season (which an article on BSH seems to suggest he wont be)

Old
10-17-2010, 02:14 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
Kovar 46 of 47 in game, and 2 of 4 in shootout for a 2-1 win in his latest game.

Looks like Kovar could maybe see time in the AHL soon with Riopel. Roll a Riopel/Kovar tandem if Backlund isnt back for another AHL season (which an article on BSH seems to suggest he wont be)
I don't doubt that Backlund has a strong shot at being Bobrovsky's back-up next year, under the assumption that Bob is our starter for 2011-12. That said, Leighton is still under contract. For how long and to what ends remain to be seen though.

Riopel has a chance at an AHL job next year for sure. You have to remember that Eriksson is still extremely eager to make the journey to stateside as well. He will definitely make a push. It will be up the organization to determine whether or not he is ready. I'm pretty sure there is an out in his clause. We'll see how the Flyers handle it.

As far as Kovar is concerned, it's a very bizarre situation. It seemed as though the Flyers all but completely washed their hands of him this past offseason.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:39 PM
CerpinTaxt

I guess it would depend on how well the rest of the season for Eriksson goes. I am not sure of the varying degrees of difficulty of the leagues that Kovar and Eriksson both play in, but Kovar is a bit older and a bit more experienced correct? At any rate, hopefully the Flyers are paying attention to the season Kovar is having now.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Don't even refer to the coach in Adirondack by his given name. His name is Idiot Stick and that's exactly what he is. He has no idea how to develop prospects. Look at his time as coach of the Toronto Marlies. Name one player that man helped developed - you can't because he didn't help develop anyone.

He needs to have his sorry ass canned. Along with him, the other idiot stick, John Paddock (who has continually defended Greg Gilbert) needs to have his sorry ass canned as well.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:44 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
I guess it would depend on how well the rest of the season for Eriksson goes. I am not sure of the varying degrees of difficulty of the leagues that Kovar and Eriksson both play in, but Kovar is a bit older and a bit more experienced correct? At any rate, hopefully the Flyers are paying attention to the season Kovar is having now.
Kovar is 22. This is his 3rd year in the Czech League, 1st as a starter. Before that he a lackluster season in the OHL.

Eriksson is 20, and this is his first real season in the SEL. He's not the starter, but he's at least splitting time. Last year he was in the Allsvenskan, and in the two years before that, he was in Swedish juniors.

The Czech League is better than the Allsvenskan, but the SEL is significantly better than the Czech League. In fact, until the formation of the KHL, you could claim that the SEL was the second toughest league in the world behind the NHL. Now it's probably third, but you get the idea. The SEL is a pretty big deal, particularly compared to the Czech League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Don't even refer to the coach in Adirondack by his given name. His name is Idiot Stick and that's exactly what he is. He has no idea how to develop prospects. Look at his time as coach of the Toronto Marlies. Name one player that man helped developed - you can't because he didn't help develop anyone.

He needs to have his sorry ass canned. Along with him, the other idiot stick, John Paddock (who has continually defended Greg Gilbert) needs to have his sorry ass canned as well.
Paddock was also the one who seemingly threw Kovar under the bus this last offseason. While I don't think Kovar necessarily has NHL potential, Paddock's quotes on the matter kind of blew me away.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I don't doubt that Backlund has a strong shot at being Bobrovsky's back-up next year, under the assumption that Bob is our starter for 2011-12. That said, Leighton is still under contract. For how long and to what ends remain to be seen though.
I doubt that Backlund is in Philadelphia next year. I've got a feeling that a forward is going to get moved for a goaltender after the playoffs are over.

With regards to Leighton, I still find it amazing that in this day and age, the medical staff in Philadelphia still managed to screw up that deal. Every player that signs a contract usually gets a physical and an MRI as part of the contract. Someone please explain that how after an MRI, the doctors in Philadelphia couldn't find the issue with his back. Seriously, it's things like this that show just how inadequate and how out of touch the medical staff seems to be.

Hopefully with a new GM next year, they'll clean house and do the right thing - hire a whole new medical staff.......

Old
10-17-2010, 02:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I doubt that Backlund is in Philadelphia next year. I've got a feeling that a forward is going to get moved for a goaltender after the playoffs are over.
Just note that a feeling means pretty much nothing. I understand what you're saying, but I've seen nothing convincing to suggest that something like that could happen.

Old
10-17-2010, 02:51 PM
jb**

Quote:
Paddock was also the one who seemingly threw Kovar under the bus this last offseason. While I don't think Kovar necessarily has NHL potential, Paddock's quotes on the matter kind of blew me away.
what did Paddock say?

Old
10-17-2010, 02:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
what did Paddock say?
It's actually on page one of this thread. You can't miss the article about Phantoms goaltenders for this season. It's all in bold. Anyway:

Quote:
Turning to goalies who will not be turning pro this year, the Flyers still have Jakub Kovar in the system. Kovar was selected in the 4th round of the 2006 draft and has been battling injuries for the past two years. Since leaving the OHL after the 07-08 season, he's only played 17 games in the Czech Republic.

"He has to improve and continue to improve and he takes the next steps after that. So we're going to wait and see with him and hopefully he can play more and get going along with the recovery road a little bit for his injuries and progress towards playing pro hockey," Paddock said.

But after being drafted four years ago, is there a time limit on how long he stays property of the Flyers? Paddock answered, "I'm not sure of his age or whatever, but at some point you have to make a decision. I don't know whether it's next year or two years from now, I'm just coming to the organization, this will be my third year, and second as a manager, I'm not sure what year he was drafted. It's not an indefinite time, that's changed, so sometime in the next year or two he'll have to give us some reason to move ahead and we'll have to do that if that's the case."

Now, maybe Paddock has just never been asked about Kovar before, but when you pull out the "this is only my third year in the organization" card to explain why you don't know much about the player, that's generally not a good sign. If Kovar can't unseat Roman Turek this year, he's likely done in the Flyers organization.
It gave off the impression that he had almost no idea what was going on with Kovar.

Old
10-17-2010, 06:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
Well, this is an organization who this time 19 months ago never heard of Jonas Gustavsson, so somehow I'm not shocked.

Anyways...

RT @PSPhantoms: FINAL: Amerks 5, Phantoms 2. Amerks got an empty-netter. ADK goals by Maroon (4) and Lehtivuori (2). 15 goals in 5 games for Phantoms.

Maroon is accounting for over a third of the offense (4G, 2A), and more importantly, scoring goals. Kind of makes me want to see Nodl actually get sent down to get in on that.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
10-17-2010, 07:22 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Well, this is an organization who this time 19 months ago never heard of Jonas Gustavsson, so somehow I'm not shocked.

Anyways...

RT @PSPhantoms: FINAL: Amerks 5, Phantoms 2. Amerks got an empty-netter. ADK goals by Maroon (4) and Lehtivuori (2). 15 goals in 5 games for Phantoms.

Maroon is accounting for over a third of the offense (4G, 2A), and more importantly, scoring goals. Kind of makes me want to see Nodl actually get sent down to get in on that.
Kind of makes me want to see Maroon get a shot. He's played well in camps, he's played well in his one preseason appearance, and he's played well in the early AHL season.

On top of that, he's exactly the type of big body net presence with some physicality that we desperately need in our lineup. God knows Hartnell's not doing all that much flopping all over the ice every 3rd or 4th shift. He's playing better, but he's not nearly being the crease-factor we need him to be right now. We need some freaking dirty goals; we can't count on shorthanded breakaways to be a legitimate source of offense forever.

EDIT: Maroon officially accounts for 40% of their offense right now.

Last edited by CS: 10-17-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old
10-18-2010, 08:09 AM
jb**

Quote:
It's actually on page one of this thread. You can't miss the article about Phantoms goaltenders for this season. It's all in bold. Anyway:

It gave off the impression that he had almost no idea what was going on with Kovar.
What an embarrassment from Paddock. Chris i think he truley doesnt know who he was, that is sad. You think he would just give a generic line like we want to see how he plays this year than make a decision. The fact it is his 3rd year in like he said, he should know every prospect like the back of his hand. That is funny.

Old
10-18-2010, 08:13 AM
jb**

Quote:
Kind of makes me want to see Maroon get a shot. He's played well in camps, he's played well in his one preseason appearance, and he's played well in the early AHL season.

On top of that, he's exactly the type of big body net presence with some physicality that we desperately need in our lineup. God knows Hartnell's not doing all that much flopping all over the ice every 3rd or 4th shift. He's playing better, but he's not nearly being the crease-factor we need him to be right now. We need some freaking dirty goals; we can't count on shorthanded breakaways to be a legitimate source of offense forever.

EDIT: Maroon officially accounts for 40% of their offense right now.
How much does Rinaldo account for since he played less games

It is clear no one they have on ther roster right now on the lower lines is capable of filling a top 9 spot on a consistent basis. So at some point they need to see what he can do.

Closed Thread