HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Big move" Part II - continued CBJ trade (or not trade) talk here

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2011, 04:17 PM
RDriesenUD

vCash: 500
"Big move" Part II - continued CBJ trade (or not trade) talk here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
And if the Chimera (plus spare parts) for Ehrhoff deal had been done last summer, we're not having any of these conversations right now. But that one goes on Doug Wilson, not on Scott Howson.

A common theme seems to be confusing what's said publicly with what's done privately. A lot of folks were blindsided by the fact that Chimera ended up being traded, not knowing that he'd been on the block and had been actively shopped for several months before that. Commodore has been shopped for several months. Pretty much every player, prospect, and draft pick that has been around in the last three-plus seasons has been the center of trade discussions with other teams. This isn't Nero sitting by while Rome burns, this is someone who's constantly working the rest of the league and trying to find ways to improve the team.

But, because of the fact that he's not going to talk publicly about it, the perception is (wrongly) that Scott Howson is someone who sits on the sidelines and watches while everyone else makes moves. Nothing could be further than the truth, but the fact that he doesn't publicly say anything except for the same non-committal things that he's always said is a very sharp contrast to the Doug MacLean style, who would never fail to pat himself on the back in public about how hard he was trying to make moves.
I don't think anyone thinks he doesn't do anything. The fact remains that at some point YOU HAVE TO GET SOMETHING DONE. You can try all you want, but trying doesn't win games. At some point you actually have to complete some trades.

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 01-09-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old
01-09-2011, 04:18 PM
CentreKeeper12
TheCentreKeeper

This whole "big" deal rumor has wasted an entire week of my life. I am now taking a long hard look at my life and see if I wanna continue to waste my time getting excited over nonsense or not care until something really happens. Scott Howson needs to go and major changes need to happen on this entire roster. If any of these guys are still on this roster in 5 years regardless of where the franchise is whoever is running thing is about as bright as a 3 watt light bulb

Old
01-09-2011, 04:20 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i'm not too upset over fowler b/c of the amount of other teams that passed on him...there was something there that ppl didn't like...and I think RJ will be a stud for us
Fowler is the type of player we would have drafted in previous drafts. We always took the player who fell and then talked about how lucky we were to get him with "x" draft pick. When there was a reason those players weren't being drafted where their rankings said they should have been.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Pretty bummed about Jack Johnson not coming to Columbus.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Fowler is the type of player we would have drafted in previous drafts. We always took the player who fell and then talked about how lucky we were to get him with "x" draft pick. When there was a reason those players weren't being drafted where their rankings said they should have been.
so john moore?

Old
01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
61ncville

Like i said JMO.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:25 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
so john moore?
No. I am talking about all the players we took in the top 10 who people thought would go higher than they did. Brule would be 1 example.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneMas1 View Post
This whole "big" deal rumor has wasted an entire week of my life. I am now taking a long hard look at my life and see if I wanna continue to waste my time getting excited over nonsense or not care until something really happens. Scott Howson needs to go and major changes need to happen on this entire roster. If any of these guys are still on this roster in 5 years regardless of where the franchise is whoever is running thing is about as bright as a 3 watt light bulb
Hey man -
I know this is gonna come off all confrontational and whatnot, but take this for what it's worth. If the "big trade" stuff has wasted an entire week fo your life, you're right that you should be taking a long hard look at your life, but seems like maybe for the wrong reasons.
Peace, DSL

Old
01-09-2011, 04:26 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
I don't think anyone thinks he doesn't do anything. The fact remains that at some point you have to GET SOMETHING DONE. You can try all you want, but trying doesn't win games. At some point you actually have to complete some trades.
Winner winner chicken dinner. I don't give a damn what Howson's cellphone bill reads, I care what the roster reads and what the box score reads.

We weren't sold a rebuild and if that is the plan, it has been performed poorly. You don't waste money on guys lime Moreau if you are trying to rebuild-you cut costs, trade deadweight or buy it out. Acquire some other prospects, etc.

And Howson's picks are still prospects because a lot of them are long term or project picks. We ain't going to see them make a difference for years.

Beyond that a long-term approach is not a good game plan for this team in the financial position it is.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

"Big move" - Part II - continued CBJ trade (or not trade) talk here

Old thread to 1,000.

EDIT:
Moved some stuff over to help keep the flow.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassé: 01-09-2011 at 04:35 PM.
Old
01-09-2011, 04:28 PM
CBJfan4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61ncville View Post
While I do agree that johnsen is a nice player. You cant argue the fact that fowler is producing at this level and while we do have depth(the magic word around our team) no of that in there words is ready. So am I happy with our pick so far, sure. But when we cant hit the net from the point and our defenseman have little or know points I believe fowler could have def helped this. And yes alot of teams did pass on fowler, but no other team is a starved for a point producer on the back end as we are IMO. Though I do hope moore will be good along with the other.
From what I've seen a PMD is worth more than a winger or even a center. Look at the LA situation they've Locked up Johnson and will likely focus on Doughty. Guys that can move the puck, score defend and eat major minutes solidify your blue line for years. I'd have went with Fowler. RJ is good but will take longer to develop. Time is something we don't have. Also we haven't been particularly good at developing our center talent, Brule, Brassard as we rush them into the NHL. Comments that the Jackets are hoping RJ will make the the big club next year scare me. Even if he makes it does it mean he is ready or is that just a commentary about the depth we have at that position.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
From what I've seen a PMD is worth more than a winger or even a center. Look at the LA situation they've Locked up Johnson and will likely focus on Doughty. Guys that can move the puck, score defend and eat major minutes solidify your blue line for years. I'd have went with Fowler. RJ is good but will take longer to develop. Time is something we don't have. Also we haven't been particularly good at developing our center talent, Brule, Brassard as we rush them into the NHL. Comments that the Jackets are hoping RJ will make the the big club next year scare me. Even if he makes it does it mean he is ready or is that just a commentary about the depth we have at that position.
but the thinking was we have Moore, Savard, Goubolef, etc in the system...they are our PMD future...whether that's right thinking or not...I can't say...but that's how I took it...

Old
01-09-2011, 04:34 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Was JMFJ UFA/RFA at the end of the season, or did they extend his current deal?

In other words, would he have, in essence, been a rental had we gotten him?

Old
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
It's halfway through the first season. Ryan Johansen has looked terrific, and Cam Fowler hasn't looked out of place either. We have no idea what the future holds for either, but I'm not going to hold "a chance to draft Fowler" against the current regime.
Which is why this fluff that "all of Howson's picks (except Legein?) are still valid prospects" really means nothing. For all we know, they just haven't been exposed as busts yet.

Old
Doug19

vCash: 50
I know you guys would have liked to see Fowler drafted, but I hate to tell you the guy is probably no better than John Moore. Cam Fowler would be playing in Junior Hockey right now. Johansen projects to be the better player in the long run, why on earth would you draft a guy with a lower upside, and in an organizational area of lesser need? We finally have a big, fast, skilled center in the organization, and now all we can gripe about is how we didn't draft a defender in the exact same mold of a guy we already have. Cam Fowler is not a difference maker, Cam Fowler does not have a shot that would make our power play any better. The problem on the power play isn't just on the defenders. The problem is we don't have anybody willing to shoot first, The defenders do not have hard shots, nor accurate shots, this teams forwards can never seem to hit a one-timer because they constantly fumble the puck, when trying to enter the zone, our entire team makes these lazy 2 MPH passes that always get intercepted. Ryan Johansen was the correct pick for the future of this team, and next year he will be centering one of our scoring lines, and we will all be glad we have him.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:35 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Was JMFJ UFA/RFA at the end of the season, or did they extend his current deal?

In other words, would he have, in essence, been a rental had we gotten him?
RFA, I believe.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
but the thinking was we have Moore, Savard, Goubolef, etc in the system...they are our PMD future...whether that's right thinking or not...I can't say...but that's how I took it...
This is right. And to think that drafting Fowler was going to help our blueline this year was fail too. Johanson was the right pick although I didn't think so at the time.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:43 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
I know you guys would have liked to see Fowler drafted, but I hate to tell you the guy is probably no better than John Moore. Cam Fowler would be playing in Junior Hockey right now. Johansen projects to be the better player in the long run, why on earth would you draft a guy with a lower upside, and in an organizational area of lesser need? We finally have a big, fast, skilled center in the organization, and now all we can gripe about is how we didn't draft a defender in the exact same mold of a guy we already have. Cam Fowler is not a difference maker, Cam Fowler does not have a shot that would make our power play any better. The problem on the power play isn't just on the defenders. The problem is we don't have anybody willing to shoot first, The defenders do not have hard shots, nor accurate shots, this teams forwards can never seem to hit a one-timer because they constantly fumble the puck, when trying to enter the zone, our entire team makes these lazy 2 MPH passes that always get intercepted. Ryan Johansen was the correct pick for the future of this team, and next year he will be centering one of our scoring lines, and we will all be glad we have him.
You really have no clue about Fowler. In his first season he is putting up a 42 point pace. No better than John Moore? Moore is doing that pace...in a developmental league.

Fowler actually has a great point shot. In the Ducks skill competition yesterday he was also the fastest skater.

Would he have done as well for us without Scott Niedermayer working with him on his game? Hard to say.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:44 PM
CentreKeeper12
TheCentreKeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Hey man -
I know this is gonna come off all confrontational and whatnot, but take this for what it's worth. If the "big trade" stuff has wasted an entire week fo your life, you're right that you should be taking a long hard look at your life, but seems like maybe for the wrong reasons.
Peace, DSL
Who do you think you are my therapist. I don't tell you how to live your life so don't judge.

I know i'm just a sports nut, who hopes to speculate like this as a future career path. But thanks for the advice tho. It is noted.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
You really have no clue about Fowler. In his first season he is putting up a 42 point pace. No better than John Moore? Moore is doing that pace...in a developmental league.

Fowler actually has a great point shot. In the Ducks skill competition yesterday he was also the fastest skater.

Would he have done as well for us without Scott Niedermayer working with him on his game? Hard to say.
i think we all feel as if we know this answer

Old
01-09-2011, 04:49 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

It doesn't matter does it? We had 7 or so defenders on a one-way contract Fowler, like Moore who had an amazing camp his rookie year, would be in the WHL developing. Fowler wouldn't be putting up a 42 point pace, and he wouldn't have Niedermayer to mentor him. Fowler's point shot is not that impressive either, his shot isn't that hard. As far as being the fastest skater on the Ducks, ummm John Moore? We have a Cam Fowler his name is John Moore and he is developing in the AHL because right now the NHL is a cancerous environment in Columbus.

Old
01-09-2011, 04:52 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

@DarkBlueJacket Medianet: Big announcement coming in 36 minutes. Get down to Nationwide quickly to say goodbye to a few of your favorites...

@DarkBlueJacket Before they head to another destination. James Duthie has reported a blockbuster trade involving 3 teams a 10 players.

DBJ is attempting to get info
@tsnjamesduthie @TSNBobMcKenzie @DarrenDreger Care to confirm/deny? http://*******/gt8KQW

Old
01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

Old
01-09-2011, 04:59 PM
MFRONE

James Duthie has posted nothing of the sort on Twitter

Old
01-09-2011, 04:59 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
@DarkBlueJacket Medianet: Big announcement coming in 36 minutes. Get down to Nationwide quickly to say goodbye to a few of your favorites...

@DarkBlueJacket Before they head to another destination. James Duthie has reported a blockbuster trade involving 3 teams a 10 players.

DBJ is attempting to get info
@tsnjamesduthie @TSNBobMcKenzie @DarrenDreger Care to confirm/deny? http://*******/gt8KQW
if this is somehow true, i don't even care who is on their way out as long as we DID something to TRY to improve this team.

Closed Thread