HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Christensen re-signs (2yrs @ 925k per), Shelley signs with PHI (3yrs @ 1.1M per)

Old
07-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

vCash: 500
Christensen is not the answer, was never the answer and will never be the answer.

He doesn't really score enough to be a top six forward, doesn't really do the other stuff enough to be a bottom six forward.

To me he's just a sad sign of how excited we become over settling on marginal.

So long as they aren't horrible, we seem to like marginal.

Sorry, but that's just sad.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Chimp

So Shelley is dumped to sign Boogard to a ridiculous contract. At least Sather was consistent in dumping someone for an overpaid unknown. Have we learnt anything from the Huggybear debacle yet? I'm seriously laughing.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Well we tried older and more expensive.

Then we tried younger.

Then we tried older.

Now we're trying same age and more expensive.

Could've just signed Orr and avoided the musical chairs.

Now we just more money to replace a type of player we already had.

Old
07-01-2010, 05:56 PM
DrAStuart

Well played by EC....you deserved a decent but not excessive raise and you got it. If you can put up 45-55 pts next season then you're well worth the raise and you'll get more the next time out....Sather could have avoided this...but I'm happy

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Christensen is not the answer, was never the answer and will never be the answer.

He doesn't really score enough to be a top six forward, doesn't really do the other stuff enough to be a bottom six forward.

To be fair to Christensen he didn't get much ice time when he first came to the team. Once Tortorella started giving him ice time with Gaborik he produced at a respectable rate. In the last 41 games of the season he had 8g 18a 26pts. Is that so bad? He might not be the answer but who is? Dubinsky? He had 44pts in 69 games. Not much of a difference in the point ratio. Drury? 32pts in 77 games.

Once Christensen started playing with Gaborik he did well. 26 points in 41 games is nothing special, especially for a top line center, but would we all really complain if he played a full season and posted 50 - 60 points playing with Gaborik? Hard to complain if he is making less than $1 million. Granted, he doesn't bring a lot of the stuff that Drury / Dubinsky bring to the table as the other centers on the team.

He isn't tough. He gets bumped around easily. But, lets face it, we'd all be naive to say that he isn't a good puck carrier, that he can't dish off the puck well, that he can't skate well, that he can't stick handle well. He made several dazzling plays throughout the year. He DOES have talent and a lot of potential and he meshed pretty well with Gaborik. IMO it's just hard to complain paying him $975,000 if he can put up 50 - 60 points with Gaborik and if he can't it isn't much of a loss. I'd like to see him on the team for another year or two b/c I personally think he does have top six talent. Sather wasn't a fool. He offered him a little more money because he did play well with Gaborik and show potential. Smart signing by Sather.

Much better than the $1.6 million he gave Boogard

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Levitate

well the complaining is that if this team was really GOOD then a guy like CHristensen wouldn't make the team because they'd have a real top center and a real 2nd line center

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Meh, it's not about Christiansen and what he brings. It's all about the overall philosophy that a lot of us are willing to deal with.

I love the fact that Sather has become a realist. The Rangers aren't going to buy their way to the top of the conference. As long as they have Henrik, Gaborik, a budding defense corps and a crop of muckers and grinders, he can stay somewhat competitive.

You'll see: the Pens, Flyers and Devils are all going to regret trading away all these draft picks. It's the nature of the beast. It happened to the Isles. It happened to Edmonton. It happened to the Pens. It happened to us. Holmgren is a fool for hedging his bets on Michael Leighton after one lucky playoff run. Lou still thinks that Fatso is good enough to win a Cup, forgetting that Fatso's feet are still his Achille's Heels. There's no way Crosby and Malkin will coexist forever. If you ask me, Boston and Washington will dominate the EC for a while until we get all our young guys developed.

In this day and age, you need to build through the draft and develop a cohesive unit who struggled and suffered together.

The Rangers are doing the right thing being patient and plugging holes with band aids.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 08:36 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
So Shelley is dumped to sign Boogard to a ridiculous contract. At least Sather was consistent in dumping someone for an overpaid unknown. Have we learnt anything from the Huggybear debacle yet? I'm seriously laughing.
yes we learned that signing a 28 yr old enforcer who is one of the most feared fighters in the league is better than signing a 37 year old one (Brashear) or 35 yr old one with injuries.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

Yea but Edge when do you decide to go with your own players (or stick it out with what you have) and try to put together some lines and become a team? Every year there is going to be a big FA name out there (I think next year Semin will be available). But when does Rangers management stop acting like a bunch of kids in a candy store every summer? And for the most part, we usually get what we want (or the organization does, I should say). This whole feeble minded approach (by our G.M's or Presidents) of building teams through the fa market has become a vicious cycle of impatience and faulty perceptions of what's best for the organization (i.e., Drury scores clutch goals so lets get him).

I'm just saying, what is the worst case scenario (Not just with Christensen but a bunch of guys. They're certainly not going to accomplish much being together for one year. But maybe if you keep the same players for a few years in a row, the team will actually become "a team" )?

The worst possible case scenario is not "tanking" but, having a few bad seasons or maybe just one. Then everything doesn't look so bleak because we'll have one of the best young player's (or more) in the world coming to the Rangers.
This org. has to start taking a look around the league and see what's going on. All of those horrible season's the Black Hawks and Penguins had, are now nothing but long distant memories for the fans both organizations. And I'm sure, between Crosby, Malkin, Toews, and Kane there will be more Cups coming.

Now I'm not saying to tank. Tortorella and Sather might use words like "stay the course." Just let Clarke and his team continue to scout well, and keep flooding the farm system with good young talent. Imo, keep away from big name free agents until you can put a team out there (That means management, coaches, players (everyone) have to work hard, (not just ask Dolan... "can I have some more money because I want get this player and maybe that player as well?") Then what are we paying these guys for? To write out checks? You can get the average fan to do that.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:41 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:

Edge, it's obvious he's not a #1 center but we don't really have someone that can take over that spot. Dubinsky is nice but he's not a playmaker. Anisimov doesn't need the pressure. Stepan is too young. Prospal is more of a #2 at best.

Christensen does have some nice tools.

If anyone steps up we can always drop Christenson down. Also if we run out of roster spots we can always demote him to the minors which seems to be Sather's trash bin.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:52 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Edge, it's obvious he's not a #1 center but we don't really have someone that can take over that spot. Dubinsky is nice but he's not a playmaker. Anisimov doesn't need the pressure. Stepan is too young. Prospal is more of a #2 at best.

Christensen does have some nice tools.

If anyone steps up we can always drop Christenson down. Also if we run out of roster spots we can always demote him to the minors which seems to be Sather's trash bin.
I don"t see the point of a 2nd year. Yes, he's a potential placeholder for this year. But, the Rangers are talking up Stepan like he could make the team this year. Does he need to be placeholder for next year, too? I don't understand the mentality.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 10:58 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Not liking that we're now going to see Shelley for the next three years. Sigh.

Yeah that sucks. Then again Philly can have him at that cost. 800-850 K and 1 year deal is most I would've given to Shelley.

Nice to see EC back. Good signing.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Rather than respond to each individual post I'll do it as a group.

I hear you guys, I really do, but Christensen to me is a marginal talent. We stick him with an elite talent and MAYBE he produces 40-50 points.

I freely admit that the Rangers don't have anyone else to step in, but I don't like the two years and I'm not a fan of signing a guy just because there's nothing better out there.

As Levitate says, the only reason that this guy is even on the team is because this team's depth at center is nill. I mean our center lineup right now is pretty damn pathetic.

The other thing is that it's not one contract under $2-million, it's when you start adding 4 or 5 of these type of contracts. It's easy to overlook a Voros here, a Rissmiller there, etc. But then you start adding all of these contracts up and you realize that it's not such a small number any longer.

I freely admit that I like to take the middle ground on most debates around here, but there's one thought I can't escape.

After 13 years of not being a serious cup contender, this is the best we've come up with? Sorry, but that's just depressing.

Old
07-01-2010, 11:09 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

I hear you guys, I really do, but Christensen to me is a marginal talent. We stick him with an elite talent and MAYBE he produces 40-50 points.

I freely admit that the Rangers don't have anyone else to step in, but I don't like the two years and I'm not a fan of signing a guy just because there's nothing better out there.

As Levitate says, the only reason that this guy is even on the team is because this team's depth at center is nill. I mean our center lineup right now is pretty damn pathetic.

The other thing is that it's not one contract under $2-million, it's when you start adding 4 or 5 of these type of contracts. It's easy to overlook a Voros here, a Rissmiller there, etc. But then you start adding all of these contracts up and you realize that it's not such a small number any longer.

I freely admit that I like to take the middle ground on most debates around here, but there's one thought I can't escape.

After 13 years of not being a serious cup contender, this is the best we've come up with? Sorry, but that's just depressing.
Well the Voros, Rissmiller's, and Brashear's are the ones killing us. You don't not re-sign Christensen because you made those mistakes.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:14 PM
darko

Quote:

I dont mind 2 years. Ani isn't ready to play top-6 minutes. Hopefully once EC's contract is up Ani or Stepan (or preferably both) are ready to play top-6 minutes.

Stop-gap signing ... I dont mind it at all.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:15 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Well the Voros, Rissmiller's, and Brashear's are the ones killing us. You don't not re-sign Christensen because you made those mistakes.
I think I can find enough reasons without those clowns not to sign him.

And this isn't even a one year deal, it's a two year deal.

Right now we bid against ourselves for a guy that had one marginally good NHL season and who has never been the sum of his parts.

We play this guy with an elite level talent and actually show excitement if he scores a meager .5 points per game? I mean, seriously, has it really come to that?

To me, the best defense of this singing we can come up with is that there was nothing better out there. Again, I find that sad.

Old
07-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Vitto79

We need a #1 C

Anisimov can turn into a 2nd line C
Christiensen is more a 3rd to me
Boyle a 4th

If Drury who is paid like a top C played like one we would be fine. But that wont happen

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:23 PM
OverTheCap

I would have preferred Christensen to sign for only one year. It seems like the Rangers wanted a two year deal because they think he will break out and be a steal the second season. Don't see it happening. He's always had self-confidence issues and I'm not sure if he will ever overcome them.

One thing I hope to see from Christensen this year is some more success in shootouts. He was one of the best shootout guys in the league, and then he comes to the Rangers and looks like crap in the shootout. Typical Rangers luck.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 11:49 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

Right now we bid against ourselves for a guy that had one marginally good NHL season and who has never been the sum of his parts.

We play this guy with an elite level talent and actually show excitement if he scores a meager .5 points per game? I mean, seriously, has it really come to that?

To me, the best defense of this singing we can come up with is that there was nothing better out there. Again, I find that sad.
Christensen is still easily gotten rid of at the end of the year, in fact I would bet Sather likes the idea of using him as trade bait if he puts up 45-60 points this year.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 12:54 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Happy that Erik stays here for 2 more.
But that Shells will play for the Cryers sucks tbh.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:22 AM
gravytrain6t

Edge I see what you're saying... But just as one example: I doubt anyone here would advocate putting Voros on the same line with Gaborik. But it actually worked out very well in Minnesota.

If I told you before last season that Shelley, Prust, and Anisimov would be a very effective line, would you believe me?

Now Shelley is gone anyway, but more importantly than the individual names of players, is putting together lines that work. It's easy to sign a player like Kovalchuk (for instance) because he is a super star and on paper, he would look great on any team!!!

To me, it's much more difficult (and takes more work) to find the right combination of players to form an effective line (that to me is building chemistry but, with players coming and going from year to year it wouldn't matter if you put together one or two good lines that season anyway).

I think Montreal (last season) was the perfect example. After the first game of the playoff series against Washington, I thought the Caps were in trouble. Someone's response was "well Gomez should enjoy the victory while it lasts because Washington is sending them home." Not only did Montreal eliminate Ovechkin's Caps, but while not having home advantage in both series, they eliminated the Pens and their respective super stars just as well.

Now the top players on the Caps and Pens are certainly much better than what Montreal has to offer. I mean, you also have to wonder what is going on when Tommy Pyatt and Dominic Moore are getting quality minutes and are difficult to play against. Of course Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin,..etc..are the better players.

Again, I have to throw that word "chemistry" around. As a team, the HABS had more of it. Not to mention it fit (almost) perfectly with Martin's system.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 01:58 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

well, im actually a fan of Christensen. On my site during my offseason game plan i say to keep him. I think he played very very well after his first 8 games, and on many-a-night was our best player out there, including Gaborik who was definitely hobbled down the stretch. Hes still young, has superb hands, has superb vision, and clearly has chemistry with Dubi and Gabby.

I think one thing were also forgetting is hes one of the best shootout specialists in the game today. That will help us pick up some points we missed early and in the middle of the season, before Christensen was here.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 02:10 AM
trilobyte

Voros. I have no idea what people see in him. The day he was signed was a day where NYR said that they don't really know what to do, but gotta do something.
Rismiller.
Same thing. Moves for the sake of moves. Dumb f@c-k-i-n moves.

Then spend the next couple of years figuring out how to get rid of these crap players that you knew were marginal at best when you got them.

What a loser's game that is.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 03:37 AM
jniklast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I would have preferred Christensen to sign for only one year. It seems like the Rangers wanted a two year deal because they think he will break out and be a steal the second season. Don't see it happening. He's always had self-confidence issues and I'm not sure if he will ever overcome them.

One thing I hope to see from Christensen this year is some more success in shootouts. He was one of the best shootout guys in the league, and then he comes to the Rangers and looks like crap in the shootout. Typical Rangers luck.
He scored the winner against the debbies keeping our hopes alive.

I agree with all saying that Christ is not the solution, and pretty pathetic as 1st line C. And that is also the main reason I don't want us to sign kovy: he would prevent us from significantly upgrading that position in the future. And you just don't win a cup with this center depth, not even with kovy.

So where our future #1 C is coming from? I have no definite idea. We could hope for Thornton and/or Richards to hit UFA, or we could hope for one being available via trade. I think by the time our prospects are far enough to make us close to a contender, there will have been a few opportunities to acquire one. Whether sather will grab it or not is another question.

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2010, 07:36 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

That is the most bothersome part of this signing? Why do they want him for two years? That, and why bring back both? I could understand one year of either him or Prospal? And, again, it's not the money, it's the gameplan. They still think that, (like some posters here), if they had just won the shutout, they could have been in the finals last year. So, they'll just "re-tool", when the reality is, if Henke or Gaborik go down, this is a bottom 5 team. To me, it signals being stuck in that awful area of maybe challenging for a playoff spot, but, not being awful enough to get the chance to draft the future top line player.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote